Sponsored by:

Mirror tilt in Reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:19 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mirror tilt in Reverse.

Okay, this is a strange one... at least for me. Maybe (hopefully) someone can clue me in.

The mirror tilt (in reverse) works on my car just as I've seen it described on this board, and like it says in the book, so that in reverse if the mirror lever is on L, the driver's mirror (only) tilts, if on R, the passenger's mirror (only) tilts, and if centered, neither tilt.

Here's the strangeness. I know for a fact that when I was test driving the TL (not the one I ended up buying, btw), BOTH mirrors tilted! This was how I noticed the feature in the first place. I remember, distinctly, making a comment to the dealer, and him spouting off the typical dealer speak about how this is a wonderful safety feature, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, I was so impressed by the feature that it REALLY stuck in my mind... enough so that I'm absolutely positive that both mirrors tilted. (I remember playing with it quite abit... probably reduced the life of the gear shift by 1000 miles, hehe.)

Since everything I'm seeing (the information here and in the OM, as well as what actually happens in my car) seems to indicate that BOTH mirrors should never tilt simultaneously, then what the heck was going on during that test drive? Am I missing something? I'd LOVE it if I could get both mirrors to tilt down in reverse, but so far, I'm not seeing a way to make this happen. Does anyone know of a way? Or, should I just consider the "test drive" car as one of those rare "it works better than designed" defects?

Love to hear what y'all have to say about this. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. Could it be that perhaps one of the mirrors were already tilted down (manually by another test driver), and the other one also tilted down when you put it in reverse? That is the only thing that makes sense to me other than a defect on the test drive vehicle.

Also, I'm not sure why it would be useful to have both mirrors to tilt down. It is useful for me in parking situations, but I have never run the risk of damaging rims on both sides due to a curb. Maybe you can explain further why you would want this...

Any other forum members with ideas on why both mirrors would tilt on the demo car?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:55 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No... both mirrors definitely moved. It wasn't a case of one already being tilted.

I agree that the curb-side mirror is the really important one, but it would be nice for both to tilt, primarily, so that you don't have to keep flipping the switch every time, but there's also the "wow" factor to think about when others are in the car... you don't know which mirror they'll be looking at at any given time, right?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Team Anthracite

maybe you can set them?

try setting the mirror to L and putting it in reverse, then when its tilted down, tilt it up instead, then save your driver 1 settings, park, then put it in reverse again.

maybe it will save the reverse settings that way. who knows.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:03 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Maybe a faulty switch or motor in the mirror. Then when the dealer saw that you were impressed with the feature he wouldn't point out that it's not supposed to work that way for fear of losing the sale.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
The main reason only one mirror tilts is so you can see the curb in one mirror (the tilted one), and keep an eye on oncoming traffic in the other one. Kind of a safety thing.

Why would you need both to tilt when you are only backing into a curb on one side? Wait, I just thought of an example. Backing into a stall with curbs on both sides. For people who do this, it would be nice to have the option.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:57 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also remember that I'd seen both mirrors tilted in in MDX in 2003. Can some MDX owner validate this. My friend who own said only one mirror tilts.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT3
Okay, this is a strange one... at least for me. Maybe (hopefully) someone can clue me in.

The mirror tilt (in reverse) works on my car just as I've seen it described on this board, and like it says in the book, so that in reverse if the mirror lever is on L, the driver's mirror (only) tilts, if on R, the passenger's mirror (only) tilts, and if centered, neither tilt.

Here's the strangeness. I know for a fact that when I was test driving the TL (not the one I ended up buying, btw), BOTH mirrors tilted! This was how I noticed the feature in the first place. I remember, distinctly, making a comment to the dealer, and him spouting off the typical dealer speak about how this is a wonderful safety feature, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, I was so impressed by the feature that it REALLY stuck in my mind... enough so that I'm absolutely positive that both mirrors tilted. (I remember playing with it quite abit... probably reduced the life of the gear shift by 1000 miles, hehe.)

Since everything I'm seeing (the information here and in the OM, as well as what actually happens in my car) seems to indicate that BOTH mirrors should never tilt simultaneously, then what the heck was going on during that test drive? Am I missing something? I'd LOVE it if I could get both mirrors to tilt down in reverse, but so far, I'm not seeing a way to make this happen. Does anyone know of a way? Or, should I just consider the "test drive" car as one of those rare "it works better than designed" defects?

This is really fun. I have witnessed that too during this summer. I test drove a TL NAVI 5AT and I had both windows down. I am so sure both mirrors were tilting down at the same time. Hum! ...both mine does not do that!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've DEFINITELY HEARD of 04 TLs tilting both, because of the whining from the 03 forum about us only having 1 tilt (btw- i whine about having only 1 tilt too). really strange. -shawn
Old 07-30-2004, 12:47 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by Ron A
The main reason only one mirror tilts is so you can see the curb in one mirror (the tilted one), and keep an eye on oncoming traffic in the other one. Kind of a safety thing.

Why would you need both to tilt when you are only backing into a curb on one side? Wait, I just thought of an example. Backing into a stall with curbs on both sides. For people who do this, it would be nice to have the option.
I personally back into parking spaces ALL the time. Seems they get smaller and smaller these days, so (especially at work) I back in, and snuggle up to the lines on the passenger side, giving me more room on the drivers side. The idea being if cars on both sides of me are head in, even if I only left 2 inches between me and the guy on my passenger side, they could both get to their driver's side doors and pull out 5 feet to let in their passenger. Similar to some thread I saw here about 2 cars parked in garage.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Royal Flush

Originally Posted by JT3

Funny you started this thread....my TL is 3 weeks old and both mirrors tilted down up until today. It was very useful for backing out of my driveway due to the brick siding. Anyway, now only one mirror tilts down at a time. I wish I could get both to go back. I searched the manual and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me. If anyone has the solution on getting both mirrors to turn down in reverse....let us know!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Wait, I just thought of an example. Backing into a stall with curbs on both sides. For people who do this, it would be nice to have the option.
Just make sure you are tight to the side you have tilted and there should be no worries.

Besides, you would have to add another button to have both tilt down, IMO. To the left for the left mirror, to the right for the right mirror, centered for neither and another small button for both.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joganjani
I also remember that I'd seen both mirrors tilted in in MDX in 2003. Can some MDX owner validate this. My friend who own said only one mirror tilts.
2003 MDX only tilts on the passenger side, no option for driver side.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Both mirrors tilt down in reverse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tilting mirrors are great. The first time I found out about them was when I test drove a 3G for the first time. But on that model, BOTH mirrors were tilting down at the same time. I asked the sales guy about it and he sure enough said that they both go down when in reverse. This has bothered me for quite some time.

So yes, I have seen both of them go down on a test drive.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

lol any1 have a solution for this?. Has any1 contacted their dealer?. Another thing to note....test drive vehicles and for sale vehicles are the same .

I don't have mine yet, so we will see.... :P.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Advanced

No simulteneous titling

I just called up my salespersons and he assured me that there is no simultenous titling of mirrors on the TL. When I told him some people swore that they saw it, he said either they are imaging things, or there is a malfunction.

I am eagerly waiting for the first guy or gal who can come forward to tell us how simulteneous tilting can be done.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
hmmmm..... i found out in the summer bout this..... feature. i was backing out the car and when i switched 2 reverse, the driver mirror tilted.... i was amazed at this because the only other car ive seen (ive been through many test drives) that has this feature is our 03 suburban z71.... there, both mirror tlit. but in our acura, i wanted 2 show my dAD and well, when i shifted, both mirrors tilted. i was lik because when i first shifted, it only tilted the driver mirror... that was from park to reverse.
i tried to shift to drive from reverse to see if this has a definate pattern and it seems lik it dosnt; i shifted form reverse to park/drive numerous times and every once and a while, both mirror tilt.... i havnt consulted the dealer yet but its quite..... weird maybe smthing rong....