Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minder: Oil life <20% a 14500 miles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minder: Oil life <20% a 14500 miles...

Does anydody know what the next service will be? I want to make an apointment, but I am not sure what the service minder will say: A B C D....? Should I just wait until the minder tells me?

thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

every 7500 miles..
Old 03-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraTL2k4
every 7500 miles..
Where did you get that?

Originally Posted by elbodude
Does anydody know what the next service will be? I want to make an apointment, but I am not sure what the service minder will say: A B C D....? Should I just wait until the minder tells me?

thanks.
Definitely wait for the minder to tell you. Since you didn't tell us how many miles you have on the car, or what percentage is on the minder now, we can't even guess, but when the minder hits 15% it will tell you what the next service will be and you can plan accordingly.

You can compare the miles driven with the percentage on the minder and estimate when to get the service done, or you can do it sooner, depending on your driving habits and personal preferences.

Knowing your mileage and percentage at this time will let us give you more information.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
Where did you get that?

Definitely wait for the minder to tell you. Since you didn't tell us how many miles you have on the car, or what percentage is on the minder now, we can't even guess, but when the minder hits 15% it will tell you what the next service will be and you can plan accordingly.

You can compare the miles driven with the percentage on the minder and estimate when to get the service done, or you can do it sooner, depending on your driving habits and personal preferences.

Knowing your mileage and percentage at this time will let us give you more information.
That info is in the title of the post. 14,500 miles <20% oil life. I will just take your advide and wait for the minder to tell me. It's just real hard to get a service appointment around here. And I don't know what service to ask for, until the minder tells me. I was trying to plan ahead.

thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by elbodude
That info is in the title of the post. 14,500 miles <20% oil life. I will just take your advide and wait for the minder to tell me. It's just real hard to get a service appointment around here. And I don't know what service to ask for, until the minder tells me. I was trying to plan ahead.

thanks.
I just noticed that and apologize for the confusing info.

With that mileage, I would guess this is your second oil change, which would most likely be a B service. This is nothing more than an oil change and tire rotation. There are a lot of other items listed, but these are all items which should normally be checked anyway during an oil change so you should not be paying extra for them.

If your dealer tries to give you an inflated price for the B service, tell him you just want an oil and filter change, and the tire rotation is up to you. If you have somewhere else that does it cheaper or better, go there, or if you can do it yourself, that is even better.

When you hit 15%, you will have at least a month before you get into the 5-10% range, so you can make your appointment then, or you could make it now for a month or so in advance, which won't hurt anything.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Instructor

I just noticed that and apologize for the confusing info.

With that mileage, I would guess this is your second oil change, which would most likely be a B service. This is nothing more than an oil change and tire rotation. There are a lot of other items listed, but these are all items which should normally be checked anyway during an oil change so you should not be paying extra for them.

If your dealer tries to give you an inflated price for the B service, tell him you just want an oil and filter change, and the tire rotation is up to you. If you have somewhere else that does it cheaper or better, go there, or if you can do it yourself, that is even better.

When you hit 15%, you will have at least a month before you get into the 5-10% range, so you can make your appointment then, or you could make it now for a month or so in advance, which won't hurt anything.

OK, thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

while we're on the subject.. do i wait till my MID said 0% oil life to schedule for an appointment... when is best to start to schedule for an appointment... and when making an appointment how long will it be till the date of appoitment.. is it about 1 month wait..
Old 03-11-2005, 12:00 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
while we're on the subject.. do i wait till my MID said 0% oil life to schedule for an appointment... when is best to start to schedule for an appointment... and when making an appointment how long will it be till the date of appoitment.. is it about 1 month wait..
You don't have to wait exactly until the Service Due message comes up. There are several posts on the forum from owners who have sent in their oil for analysis and found out that when their MID told them to change it, it was probably a tad too late in the oil life cycle.

Once you're at 10% or so, I'd go ahead and set the appointment and ask for an oil and filter change. Shouldn't be more than $30, or you can do it yourself.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:07 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've 18700 miles and have done A1, B and A1 till now.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

Originally Posted by Lore
You don't have to wait exactly until the Service Due message comes up. There are several posts on the forum from owners who have sent in their oil for analysis and found out that when their MID told them to change it, it was probably a tad too late in the oil life cycle.

Once you're at 10% or so, I'd go ahead and set the appointment and ask for an oil and filter change. Shouldn't be more than $30, or you can do it yourself.
the thign is i just got my tl and never had it serviced yet so i dont know how it works... does the mid remind me to get service at 10% oil life? or i have to keep track of it ????
Old 03-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Do you mean A1, B and **B1? or **A, B and A1?
Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by acuraTL44
Do you mean A1, B and **B1? or **A, B and A1?
There's no "B1", since B includes the tire rotation, which is the "1" at the end of the A, sometimes. He was perfectly correct in what he said.

His MID computed that he needed an oil change, and also needed a tire rotation, so he got an A1.

Then it computed he needed an oil change, tire rotation, and all the things in the B list checked, so he got a B.

Then, it said he already got all the things in the B list checked, but he needed a tire rotation, so he got an A1 again.

Depending on how you drive, some people will only get the A sometimes, meaning just an oil change, and then the 1 for the tire rotation will probably pop up on the next recommended service. Joganjani happens to be driving just the number of miles where the oil changes and tire rotations coincide.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Future 07 TLS Team Member

His MID computed that he needed an oil change, and also needed a tire rotation, so he got an A1.

Then it computed he needed an oil change, tire rotation, and all the things in the B list checked, so he got a B.

Then, it said he already got all the things in the B list checked, but he needed a tire rotation, so he got an A1 again.

Depending on how you drive, some people will only get the A sometimes, meaning just an oil change, and then the 1 for the tire rotation will probably pop up on the next recommended service. Joganjani happens to be driving just the number of miles where the oil changes and tire rotations coincide.
Daaammmmmmnnnnn! That's one smart car (computer)!

Guess I won't need my fancy excel spreadsheet that I've been using to track it all for my Ford Explorer...

VERY kewl!
Old 03-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by JoganJani
Me, too... I'm approaching my #4 minder, it's <20% now...