Mexican dude in $200 van slams his door into my TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004 | 01:19 PM
Instructor

Mexican dude in $200 van slams his door into my TL

PICTURES

I know it's a very minor scrape and I touched it up with touch up paint that only made it a tiny bit better.. I wanted to get opinions from other people here with what they would do in my situation.

I'm sitting inside work last night and I have a Viper car alarm installed in my TL.. First time I ever get paged! (nice to see my Viper alarm actually worked!) My WARNING alarm went off meaning someone hit the car hard enough to set the WARN away mode on. So I ran outside and saw the guy just walking away from the "crime-scene".. I told him to come back over and asked him if he just hit my car. He said Yes..Keep in mind the guy barely speaks english. I looked and saw this scrape.. He looked at it with me and I showed him what he just did. He claims he did NOT do that and it had to alredy be there.. I told him to open his door and it matched perfectly. He still denies.

Anyways I didn't want to make a scene there at work over a tiny scrape like this.. So I took camera out of my car and took these quick pictures and got his license plate. The guy is not an employee here but is hired janitor from another company.

I'm not an anal person and i'm probably jsut gonna forget about this and try to touch it up more and try perfecting it more tonite best I can. Besides I already have several other rock nicks on other part of the car that I had to touch up with paint (except for my passengar window).. And this all happens with only 9000 miles on the car! from just a few trips I've been on since April and all local driving... I haven't even had this car for a year yet! I've never put a claim into insurance company before..shoudl I be doing this? would you be putting claims in? Does your insurance go up when you put any claim in on things like this whether it's your fault or not?
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:21 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

That would make me sooo mad, demand that he pays for the repairs. maybe his company will pay for it
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jerky
That would make me sooo mad, demand that he pays for the repairs. maybe his company will pay for it
Well after he denies that he did that I knew right there I was gonna have to get into a fight with him and like I said, I didn't want to make a scene.. So i just got his license plate number.. I can get all the information I want from our HR department anyways about him if I need to contact him through his janitor company.

How much would a new door handle cost (including labor) you think? His insurance should pay for it probably. Shoudl I really pursue this? Is it worth the hassle? To you probably eh?

I don't think I can go after his janitor company because it's his personal van. It was not a company van.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:27 PM
Racer

Since he was such a prick about it and tried to lie I would try my hardest to nail him over it. Normally I give people a chance.. when they try to lie or be a prick about something THEY did .. then that's when my entire attitude changes.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:28 PM

Thanks for letting us know he is Mexican. Which nationality are you?
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chazy777
Well after he denies that he did that I knew right there I was gonna have to get into a fight with him and like I said, I didn't want to make a scene.. So i just got his license plate number.. I can get all the information I want from our HR department anyways about him if I need to contact him through his janitor company.

How much would a new door handle cost (including labor) you think? His insurance should pay for it probably. Shoudl I really pursue this? Is it worth the hassle? To you probably eh?
In the end.. and honestly with everything it's as big of a deal as you make it. To some it may be nothing.. to others they would go nuts.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That's what I was thinking ._.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:32 PM
Instructor

I was not implying any prejudice if that's what you think. I'm implying he's mexican that he doesn't speak english.. So I couldn't communicate with the guy. If he spoke perfect english, I wouldn't have even mentioned "mexican"
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:33 PM
Instructor

Old 10-14-2004 | 01:35 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Im a robot built by Honda...
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97840
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:35 PM
Racer

If it can be touched up i would just do that , but to me the fack that he tried to deny it, id run a claim through his insurance to get it repaired, still do it myself and use the money his insurance pays u to take a chick out to a nice restraunt =)
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:37 PM
Pro

Honestly, it does not look too bad and nothing touch up paint can't fix. Somethings lil things like this is more trouble than it's worth. Say you do go after him to get it fix...a couple of months later you get a page on your alarm. You make that dash outside to see a brick through the window...now what?

Unless you can protect your car 24/7 minor things will occur.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
If it can be touched up i would just do that , but to me the fack that he tried to deny it, id run a claim through his insurance to get it repaired, still do it myself and use the money his insurance pays u to take a chick out to a nice restraunt =)
Yea but since he's deniying it, this means some kind of investigation would have to be performed? and I had no witnesses... so it would be a MAJOR hassle I'm sure..I didn't get his insurance cause he refused to give it to me since he claims it wasn't his fault. I dont' think he even had insurance. I dont' even think he had a license to drive because he showed he had nothing on him.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by havokgroup
Honestly, it does not look too bad and nothing touch up paint can't fix. Somethings lil things like this is more trouble than it's worth. Say you do go after him to get it fix...a couple of months later you get a page on your alarm. You make that dash outside to see a brick through the window...now what?

Unless you can protect your car 24/7 minor things will occur.
Yea.. it's what I've been thinkin.. things like this are just gonna happen unless you keep it garaged and never drive it.. It was an accident anyways I could tell. He did not intentionally do it. But it sux he lies and denies it. If I got an apology out of him it wouldn't even bother me as much as it does now. But I know it's cause he's afraid I will be reporting it, so makes sense that he would deny it. If it was more major than this, then it woudl be worth the hassle to me. I dont' think it is. I was jsut wondering more on the lines of putting a claim to my insurance company making less of a hassle.. but my insurance would go up right? I dont' know.. I'll email my insurance agent see what he says.. (funny I post on this forum first :P )

Is everybody's TL still perfect after almost a year or year owning it? or say after having 5,000-10,000 miles on it
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:47 PM
Wants an M3 in

whats it matter that he was mexican ... there are aholes in all shapes colors and sizes
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:49 PM
Wants an M3 in

btw its worthless to claim this on ur insurance. It would probably cost the price of your deductible to fix this. I got scratch and ding protection when I bought my car. So scratches and dings are repaired for free. $7/month
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
btw its worthless to claim this on ur insurance. It would probably cost the price of your deductible to fix this. I got scratch and ding protection when I bought my car. So scratches and dings are repaired for free. $7/month
Read above about the mexican statment why I stated that. (#8) I have best friends that are mexican and I thought I was being slang about it... just saying "Mexican dude"... guess I shouldn't have even said that! I call my friends that too when messin around.. it's really no big deal

And where do I sign up for $7 a month?? I was never told about this at my acura dealership.. And what about nicks in your glass? probably doesn't cover that right. I would've definitely signed up for that when I bought the car.. especially when I got a rock nick on the hood as soon as I drove it off the lot... Also if I signed up for this, would they repair the current nicks? I can always tell them it just happened later on anyways.. unless they document all the current nicks when I sign up?

Your right on deductible.. I forget about that.. forget even asking my insurance company about it. A new door handle and labor would probbaly cost between $50-$100 for sure.
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:54 PM
Racer

whats it matter that he was mexican ... there are aholes in all shapes colors and sizes
Read the whole thread first.....

I was not implying any prejudice if that's what you think. I'm implying he's mexican that he doesn't speak english.. So I couldn't communicate with the guy. If he spoke perfect english, I wouldn't have even mentioned "mexican"
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:10 PM
Racer

Park far away. Worth the walk.
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

PICTURES

I know it's a very minor scrape and I touched it up with touch up paint that only made it a tiny bit better.. I wanted to get opinions from other people here with what they would do in my situation.

I'm sitting inside work last night and I have a Viper car alarm installed in my TL.. First time I ever get paged! (nice to see my Viper alarm actually worked!) My WARNING alarm went off meaning someone hit the car hard enough to set the WARN away mode on. So I ran outside and saw the guy just walking away from the "crime-scene".. I told him to come back over and asked him if he just hit my car. He said Yes..Keep in mind the guy barely speaks english. I looked and saw this scrape.. He looked at it with me and I showed him what he just did. He claims he did NOT do that and it had to alredy be there.. I told him to open his door and it matched perfectly. He still denies.

Anyways I didn't want to make a scene there at work over a tiny scrape like this.. So I took camera out of my car and took these quick pictures and got his license plate. The guy is not an employee here but is hired janitor from another company.

I'm not an anal person and i'm probably jsut gonna forget about this and try to touch it up more and try perfecting it more tonite best I can. Besides I already have several other rock nicks on other part of the car that I had to touch up with paint (except for my passengar window).. And this all happens with only 9000 miles on the car! from just a few trips I've been on since April and all local driving... I haven't even had this car for a year yet! I've never put a claim into insurance company before..shoudl I be doing this? would you be putting claims in? Does your insurance go up when you put any claim in on things like this whether it's your fault or not?
All the Mexicans, Mexican-Americans, Latinos, Hispanics, Vatos, Esses I know have way better cars/vans/trucks than my '04 TL, and can speak good English when they want to. You must have run into one of those 8,000 illegals that come over the border each day and that will work for $5 so that the business owner can get rid of his $30/hour union employee. Ain't America grand?
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by casooner90
Park far away. Worth the walk.
I wish there was an area of parking at my work place where nobody parks.. There isn't.. You are actually lucky to even find a parking spot anywhere with the time I come in. Plus I need to be in range for my alarm to page me.
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rexorg
All the Mexicans, Mexican-Americans, Latinos, Hispanics, Vatos, Esses I know have way better cars/vans/trucks than my '04 TL, and can speak good English when they want to. You must have run into one of those 8,000 illegals that come over the border each day and that will work for $5 so that the business owner can get rid of his $30/hour union employee. Ain't America grand?
Somebody watched the debates last night....
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Somebody watched the debates last night....
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Well if american's were so damn greddy and wanting more and more money to do less and less, maybe we would still have our jobs. I say we all strike this week since we're browsing the boards at work and not getting paid enough for it.
give me a break. its all about money, everyone wants more money to do less work. So why wouldnt i give the job so someone that will work for less and work harder and not bitch and complain that their benefits aren't good enough.
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:39 PM
Wants an M3 in

I think the ding protection was something my particular dealer was pushing. Its billed right to my lease. I also got wheel/tire insurance. Came in handy when i got a bunch of nails in my tires.

Anyway I am not too sure if u can sign up for it after u take delivery. If you want more information you can call Leith Acura in Cary, NC if you want. PM me if you are interested and want their number. They are the most friendly sales team I delt with while shopping for my car(prolly helps that my dad is a GM at a Mercedes dealership owned by the same company). So they should be a big help.
ITL
I do my own work.

You know what....I really don't think this is a big deal at all....I have two dings in my fender from some asshole....know what? I have to get the whole damned fender repainted at about $150.

Take your door handle off and I'm willing to bet a body shop would repaint the whole handle for about $30. I had to replace a side mirror on my Honda due to vandalism. Went to a junkyard and got a mirror for $40, got it painted for $25. You'll see a touch-up job. Just re-paint the thing.

As far as insurance, don't do this....it'll waste more of your time and money for something so insignificant. It's way cheaper to fix than your deductible, so insurance wouldn't do anything anyway.
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimthegreek
Well if american's were so damn greddy and wanting more and more money to do less and less, maybe we would still have our jobs. I say we all strike this week since we're browsing the boards at work and not getting paid enough for it.
give me a break. its all about money, everyone wants more money to do less work. So why wouldnt i give the job so someone that will work for less and work harder and not bitch and complain that their benefits aren't good enough.
great.. I have formed a political debate!
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:40 PM
Racer

great.. I have formed a political debate!
Old 10-14-2004 | 02:41 PM
Wants an M3 in

Didnt mean to start a hijacking ...
Old 10-14-2004 | 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ITL
You know what....I really don't think this is a big deal at all....I have two dings in my fender from some asshole....know what? I have to get the whole damned fender repainted at about $150.

Take your door handle off and I'm willing to bet a body shop would repaint the whole handle for about $30. I had to replace a side mirror on my Honda due to vandalism. Went to a junkyard and got a mirror for $40, got it painted for $25. You'll see a touch-up job. Just re-paint the thing.

As far as insurance, don't do this....it'll waste more of your time and money for something so insignificant. It's way cheaper to fix than your deductible, so insurance wouldn't do anything anyway.
Thank you your right.. I'm thinkin gabout goign to a body shop here soon and just have them give me an estimate for all the 6 or 7 dings / chips / scrapes I have... I'll probably ask about getting a 3M clear bra put on too after they are done doing this.. Just get everything done at once.. hopefully it'll all be under $500 or somethin..
Old 10-14-2004 | 03:54 PM

Well no matter what people think there are LAWS that should be followed to prevent this type of hiring....
Old 10-14-2004 | 03:57 PM
I6

How hard is it to remove the door handle? I have a small, really small sratch on the driver's handle.
Old 10-14-2004 | 04:03 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Something like this falls under comprehensive coverage. You would have to check to see whether you have a deductible for comprehensive--many policies do not. Deductibles are most commonly for collision coverage only. I had a windshield replaced under my comprehensive coverage last winter and did not pay anything; no premium increase either since comprehensive applies to things beyond the driver's control like rock damage, trees falling over, etc., and thus has nothing to do with the degree of risk.
Old 10-14-2004 | 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Insurance? What insurance?

Statistically, 1 out of 3 drivers in SoCal operate ("drive" is too far-fetched) motor vehicles without valid insurance.... So the odds of that illegal carrying valid insurance is stacked against you, my friend...
Old 10-14-2004 | 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Something like this falls under comprehensive coverage. You would have to check to see whether you have a deductible for comprehensive--many policies do not. Deductibles are most commonly for collision coverage only. I had a windshield replaced under my comprehensive coverage last winter and did not pay anything; no premium increase either since comprehensive applies to things beyond the driver's control like rock damage, trees falling over, etc., and thus has nothing to do with the degree of risk.
Yea I know I have comprehensive $50 deductible. I'm with Allstate, so I'll have to find out how comprehensive works with them. Like if I were to put a claim in for every nick on my car that was beyond my control, including my passenger window that has 4 glass nicks 6 inches apart (as if someone whacked it with just the tips of a very sharp pitch fork) and was told was unrepairable and can only be smoothed out (which the auto glass company said it would look even worse showing a wavy look to the parts of the glass).. I tried taking pictures of it but it's very hard to get a pciture of it cause of the reflection of the glass and the fact the glass nicks are very very small and look like little specs of white ash or something..

But having all this repaired (and passengar window replaced) would be worth the $50 deductible for sure as long as my insurance doesn't increase. My car would then be perfect again for the time being
Old 10-14-2004 | 05:12 PM
100k miles club

communication problems? just press 8 for spanish

that sucks, especially him denying it. this is why i park far where ever i go. at work, i use the parking lot in the back. it's a walk every time but not only am i getting my exercise, i'm reducing the chance of any dings.

good luck
Old 10-14-2004 | 05:57 PM
Instructor

Chazy777

Hey ,don't let that bother you.I got 7,000 miles,car is 11 months old and have few dings on front

fascia from rocks and one on windshield,travel to Vegas four times a year through desert.
Not much I can do about it.
Boartman
Old 10-14-2004 | 06:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jerky
and no free advertising please
Old 10-14-2004 | 07:01 PM
Banned

I wish there was an area of parking at my work place where nobody parks.. There isn't.. You are actually lucky to even find a parking spot anywhere with the time I come in. Plus I need to be in range for my alarm to page me.
in that case you're gonna get more dings & dents - guranntee ya.
suggest you get a beater.
Old 10-14-2004 | 07:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackjackman
in that case you're gonna get more dings & dents - guranntee ya.
suggest you get a beater.
at least I can catch them in action before they bail from the crime scene... obviously if this was a dent or huge huge scrape that you can notice from a good distance, I would've done a lot more and got in contact with the janitor company and made sure this guy didn't have insurance and went after the janitor company to pay for the damage he did.

If I parked the car way out of range, and the same thing happened (which I don't know why people think that if you park far away it won't happen to you) then I would've had no clue as to how this happened.

Quick Reply: Mexican dude in $200 van slams his door into my TL