3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Tranny Owners: How has GMSFM fluid worked out for you over the long haul?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
I just had a 'trans-refresh' on my 6-speed CL a few weeks ago after 150K of trouble free shifting.

I had an annoying slight vibration in the engine, while in neutral, at between 1200 & 1700 rpms. It would not be noticable up to 1200 RPM or after 1700 RPM in or out of gear. The vibration would increase noticeably when driving through that RPM range while in gear shifting through first and second. Because the vibration was still present when just reving the engine through that RPM range, I attributed it to a worn flywheel (original to car) and/or a worn clutch/pressure plate which had approximately 90K since it was last changed. All motor/trans. mounts have less than 15k miles on them.

At a minimum, I wanted to replace the differential bearings in the transmission; therefore, while the transmission was out of the car for the new clutch kit/flywheel & RMS replacement, I had the shop owner break open the transmission to see if there was anything else wrong. It has only been maintained with the Honda Manual trans. fluid during the first 150K of driving (13yrs) up to that point. In short, he stated that the inside of the case was clean and the condition of all gear sets/syncros were in perfect order.

On the other hand, at first, when I told him I wanted the diff. bearings replaced, he was skeptical, and stated: 'The diff. bearings on these things hardly ever go bad' However, to his surprise, he found the original diff. bearings/races scored and worn upon his inspection. Needless to say, I had already purchased said bearings, along with all of the other parts, and the total repair was a success. NO more vibration and the 6-speed is as smooth to shift as it was before the inspection tear down.

Now with all of that said, I will be trying this GM Friction Modified fluid going forward. I plan on changing out the Honda fluid after a clutch break-in period of 500-700+ miles because it is about the same price per quart and this thread has convinced me that it is worth a try. My goal is to try and get another 150K out of the car/transmission before moving on.
Thank you for this post. You might recall the thread I made a little while ago about the overall smoothness of the new clutch/flywheel in my car.

Would you say this slight vibration impacted clutch engagement in your CL? Engine vibration in general would to some degree, I imagine.

Seeing this has made me wish I had had the trans inspected when I had the clutch and flywheel replaced, but in much the same vein, I assumed most of my issues were due to the wear/age of the clutch/flywheel. I wouldn't say I have an extremely consistent vibration as you described, but I have managed to replicate a slight vibration around 1,100RPM in neutral, but nothing that I am able to notice otherwise.

On topic - Unpopular opinion, I quite like Redline MTL in my car. I had a slight stiffness into 4th from 3rd when the car was on OEM fluid, and going to MTL completely remedied that, and improved everything overall. More than one of the independent mechanics I've used have also recommended it for Honda gearboxes.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Update, About to roll 130k miles, been using GMSFM since 2007... still basically flawless.

The only issue I've ever had, and that I've always had, is that when it's cold (like <20F, not very often here in NoVA), the synchros are clunky. So I double clutch for the first two minutes or so until the fluid warms a bit.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by T Ho
2020 Update, About to roll 130k miles, been using GMSFM since 2007... still basically flawless.

The only issue I've ever had, and that I've always had, is that when it's cold (like <20F, not very often here in NoVA), the synchros are clunky. So I double clutch for the first two minutes or so until the fluid warms a bit.
Honda/Acura transmissions are not alone in having clunking shifts when it is cold out; my BMWs, Mazdas, Fords, Chryslers, and GMs have all had the issue when it is really cold out.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
The current Honda MTF fluid is just as good as the GM/AC Delco stuff. Honda must have learned after all those years of complaints and posts about the GM fluid.
Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
I agree. I used the GMSFM when I first got my '04 6MT back in 2004 because it was better than the original Honda fluid. Now the "improved" Honda fluid is better than the GMSFM. I've got 290K and the shifting is still super smooth.

TL Rocket
'04 6MT
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Better??? Based upon what science or metrics?
Interesting. Out of curiosity, any more thoughts/comments from @DMZ @horseshoez @TL-Rocket @NBP04TL4ME @Curious3GTL @LeVeL @sockr1 @T Ho ? Tagging some peeps who posted recently.

I've also read that GM/ACDelco is the way to go for honda MTs but looks like some say the current newer Honda MTF is just as good or even better???
Old 10-27-2020, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,669 Likes on 6,688 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Interesting. Out of curiosity, any more thoughts/comments from @DMZ @horseshoez @TL-Rocket @NBP04TL4ME @Curious3GTL @LeVeL @sockr1 @T Ho ? Tagging some peeps who posted recently.

I've also read that GM/ACDelco is the way to go for honda MTs but looks like some say the current newer Honda MTF is just as good or even better???
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...nchros-990596/

Here's another GMSMSMSGSGSF convert and happy man.
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts

i've been using friction modified synchromesh for 11 years now and it's the best you can get IMO. my car is still buttery smooth...it's magic. i recommend it to everyone and i've had every single person say that their shifts got smoother with it.

Last edited by sockr1; 10-27-2020 at 10:43 AM.
nist7 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
As mentioned, I have used the GMSFM for years (10?) and never looked back. I don't know anything about the new Honda fluid and not sure I would mess with success.
The following 2 users liked this post by NBP04TL4ME:
nist7 (10-27-2020), sockr1 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 AM
Latent car nut

Here's the thing, ACDelco Sychromesh Friction Modified works; members here have literally hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with that MTF in their gearboxes. With that in mind, why would you even consider something else?
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
nist7 (10-27-2020), sockr1 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:52 AM
Transmission Pro

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I've been using conventional (non-synthetic) 10w30 motor oil since I began building Honda trans in 2005.

I have always used the cheapest I could buy in single quarts, which is pretty much always Walmart brand. I buy single quarts that I can carry in my trunk without worrying about them leaking.

My F23 / H23 trans has over 400k on it, and it outlasted my old Accord (which was totaled). I had that transmission apart several times to change out gear ratios. All I ever did was replace synchros and I replaced the input shaft bearing + seal around 170k. I think I changed it once more after that.

At one point 1st/2nd gears wouldn't engage. I replaced the synchros with brand new ones and I still had problems. I took the transmission apart again and I noticed that the countershaft 1st and 2nd gear synchro cones had an almost mirror finish, and I saw a few drops of oil that had formed as beads. -- I cut off a small sheet of 320 grit sandpaper and scuffed up the synchro cones. I then washed them off in the sink with dish soap. Reassembled and it's been shifting perfect ever since.

All you're paying for when you use the GM stuff is the thicker viscosity. Honda MTF is thinner than it used to be.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:23 PM
Latent car nut

You're the outlier; your few tens of thousands of miles pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands (more like millions of miles) of logged experience with Synchromesh.
nist7 (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sockr1
i've been using friction modified synchromesh for 11 years now and it's the best you can get IMO. my car is still buttery smooth...it's magic. i recommend it to everyone and i've had every single person say that their shifts got smoother with it.
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
As mentioned, I have used the GMSFM for years (10?) and never looked back. I don't know anything about the new Honda fluid and not sure I would mess with success.
Here's the thing, ACDelco Sychromesh Friction Modified works; members here have literally hundreds of thousands of miles of experience with that MTF in their gearboxes. With that in mind, why would you even consider something else?
^ Thanks for the inputs guys.

I'm just curious to see what the more seasoned MT drivers out there think.

While I definitely am more in agreement with using GMSMF with all the great anecdotes out here, I'm always keeping an open mind and that things can change and that with new evidence/data there could be practice/real-world change as well. Sometimes we get into a habit of using something for long time and then never question it again.

Just seeing if there are any data/objective evidence out there comparing the new Honda MTF to the ACDelco fluid....of course with even lower MT cars out there....demand for Honda branded MTF may be even lower than before.

From an engineering/science perspective, I'm curious as to see what is "better" about the updated Honda MTF vs the tried and true GMSMF....if objectively the two fluids are very similar....??

Last edited by nist7; 10-27-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:57 PM
Transmission Pro

You're the outlier; your few tens of thousands of miles pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands (more like millions of miles) of logged experience with Synchromesh.
Honda used to specify 10w30 or 10w40 in their manual trans, as can be seen in this excerpt from the 92-95 Civic Factory Service manual.

Then in the 96-00 Civic Service manual, they said "Always use Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF)."

How is it that one transmission is okay to use 10w30, yet the other is not -- when most of the parts are shared, and all shim tolerances are the same?
Old 10-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Transmission Pro

This subject was revisited and turned into a heated discussion recently in my trans forum:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/transm...sions-3350826/
Old 10-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Latent car nut

@Bense, what does any of the above noise have to do with the 6MT in a 3G TL?

FWIW, the Owner's Manual for my 2006 TL says the following (bolding mine):
  • If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity motor oil with the API Certification seal that says ‘‘FOR GASOLINE ENGINES’’ as a temporary replacement. However, motor oil does not contain the proper additives, and continued use can cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as it is convenient.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:54 PM
Transmission Pro

@Bense, what does any of the above noise have to do with the 6MT in a 3G TL?

FWIW, the Owner's Manual for my 2006 TL says the following (bolding mine):
  • If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 viscosity motor oil with the API Certification seal that says ‘‘FOR GASOLINE ENGINES’’ as a temporary replacement. However, motor oil does not contain the proper additives, and continued use can cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as it is convenient.
If you drive your 1995 Civic to the Honda dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?
If you drive your 1997 Civic to the Honda dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bense
If you drive your 1995 Civic to the Honda dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?
If you drive your 1997 Civic to the Honda dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?
If you drive your 2008 Acura Tl Type S to the Acura dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?

We don't listen to dealerships isn't that what Acurazine is all about
Old 10-27-2020, 02:05 PM
Latent car nut

Since when is this a Honda Civic forum?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:14 PM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by thoiboi
If you drive your 2008 Acura Tl Type S to the Acura dealership and ask them to flush the trans fluid, what fluid are they going to use?

We don't listen to dealerships isn't that what Acurazine is all about
At worst, the only thing that's flawed here is my example that I used to try to illustrate a point.

10w30 is fine, which is why I use it. I don't know why you are arguing with me. If you can find someone that knows more about these transmissions than I do, I will PayPal you $100.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Transmission Pro

Since when is this a Honda Civic forum?
You're missing the point.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Latent car nut

You're missing the point.
LOL, hardly.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Transmission Pro

Here, how about this. I'll sell you some transmission fluid that works even better than Honda MTF as well as GM Synchromesh. $5/quart. Prove me wrong.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Latent car nut

Here, how about this. I'll sell you some transmission fluid that works even better than Honda MTF as well as GM Synchromesh. $5/quart. Prove me wrong.
Why would I bother? You're making a ridiculous argument; ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified works great; there is little if any chance the snake oil you're advocating will work as well as, and a high chance it will not work as well.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Dang...someone should setup some kind of 3 way debate to settle this once and for all...broadcast it live on YouTube.

Honda OEM vs GMSFM vs Conventional Motor Oil (10w-30)....FIGHT!!

@Bense , I haven't been much over at Honda-Tech...and like any enthusiast forum I don't discount "anecdotal" knowledge/wisdom....(as is common in car enthusiast circles)...but I also like to see more "objective" data in terms of science-y testing and reports....aka Engineering Explained style....but I know that on the Corvette Forum actually has GM Corvette chief engineer posting and talk to the Vette forum (no divulging trade secrests I'm sure...but its a direct link from engineering to the car lovers)......I wonder if there are any Honda engineers or insiders that would even talk to us plebs over here on the internets?

I know in many circles, not just cars, enthusiasts question OEM stuff and on forum reads it seems OEM can be pretty bad...but I always wonder if OEMs spends millions and millions to test parts and hire engineers (who are presumably have thousands and thousands of hours of experience along with academic training and back ground...) who combine for many decades of experience to build OEM parts and cars...does that count for something? Just trying to learn more here...

Old 10-27-2020, 02:31 PM
Transmission Pro

Why would I bother? You're making a ridiculous argument; ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified works great; there is little if any chance the snake oil you're advocating will work as well as, and a high chance it will not work as well.
Its not a ridiculous argument. You're not paying attention and you're not listening. Its not my fault that you don't understand how the engineers designed these transmissions and which designs they were built off of.

Have you ever even taken a Honda transmission apart?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:33 PM
Transmission Pro

I wonder if there are any Honda engineers or insiders that would even talk to us plebs over here on the internets?
I've talked with a few.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Latent car nut

Its not a ridiculous argument. You're not paying attention and you're not listening. Its not my fault that you don't understand how the engineers designed these transmissions and which designs they were built off of.

Have you ever even taken a Honda transmission apart?
LOL, you really don't get it do you. You are out in left field here and you're doing a Trumpian thing by trying to deflect. The fact is, Synchromesh is the go-to MTF for these transmissions, like it or don't believe it or not. Personally I could care less if you piss in your transmission, I know very well what works in mine and that's what I'm staying with.
DMZ (11-07-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:56 PM
Transmission Pro

LOL, you really don't get it do you. You are out in left field here and you're doing a Trumpian thing by trying to deflect. The fact is, Synchromesh is the go-to MTF for these transmissions, like it or don't believe it or not. Personally I could care less if you piss in your transmission, I know very well what works in mine and that's what I'm staying with.
I don't care if you want to waste your money paying more for something that you think is better. I receive no monetary gains regardless of whichever you use. How But if you're paying more money for something that isn't any better than what I'm advocating -- that to me sounds like you're the one that's using snake oil.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

At worst, the only thing that's flawed here is my example that I used to try to illustrate a point.

10w30 is fine, which is why I use it. I don't know why you are arguing with me. If you can find someone that knows more about these transmissions than I do, I will PayPal you $100.
I'm not out to convince you that it's not working for you. GM Synchromesh has worked for others so that's what's being recommended. No one is questioning your ego or technical expertise here... well not me anyway
horseshoez (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 04:40 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Been using it since the car had 7000 miles on it.
213,000 miles now and still hummin along!
Make that 335K now!
The following 3 users liked this post by DMZ:
Bense (10-27-2020), Legend2TL (11-17-2020), nist7 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 343 Posts

I have deleted my slave valve, but I haven't yet replaced the fluid. I have bought it, it's just sitting in my closet. My oil is at 40% so I'll probably just do it with the next oil change, life has been crazy and I don't have the 3rd gear pop anyway.
nist7 (10-28-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 05:14 AM
Transmission Pro

I'm not out to convince you that it's not working for you. GM Synchromesh has worked for others so that's what's being recommended. No one is questioning your ego or technical expertise here... well not me anyway
​​​​​​​I've thought about this thread in the back of my mind for the last few days and how to best respond, or if I should even respond. It brings up a question that I've asked myself many times over the last few months.

For the most part, the help that I've offered to others online is very well received. However this a small portion that that think that I've got a foul attitude. A sense of arrogance, and a big ego. I cannot change how people feel, but at the same time I feel that people have expectations of me that I didn't necessarily ask for. That's not to say "Oh, its other peoples fault for having the expectation that I NOT be an asshole."

I spend a lot of time, and I mean a LOT of time talking with people online about Honda transmissions. I get messages from people from all over the world about transmissions, I spend a lot of time answering their questions, and I'm happy to do so because it is something that I am very enthuastic and very passionate about. My initial intention with my work on Honda transmissions was simply to entertain myself with them because I thought they were cool. Just a pure, genuine fascination for them. Not necessarily because I felt that they were the best transmissions available, or anything like that. Rather, it was what I had access to.

Fast forward several years. Okay, so now what do I do? I know the subject extremely well because I wanted to learn as much as I could about Honda transmissions and modifying them because I ENJOYED learning about it. This was never something that I did for the purpose of "let me just see how much better I can be than everyone else". I never set out with the goal of "I'm going to learn more than anyone else". The fact of the matter is that I had questions, and I couldn't find anyone else to answer them, so I sought out the answers myself. Then, around 2007 when I reached a point when I realized that my educational foundation was lacking and preventing me from understanding higher level, mechanical engineering concepts -- I quit my job and I went back to school full time and I pursued my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. Now I didn't graduate, so I do not claim to be a mechanical engineer. (ME-403 - Controls / Multi-dimensional system dynamics is the only classroom ME course I haven't taken, the rest are lab/project courses). I've covered a lot of ground and I have learned a lot.

At a certain point I asked myself -- Am I the best out there at this stuff? Is this something that I am going to "claim" ? I thought about this for a while, and eventually I told myself that I was going to claim it. I had to be realistic with myself. After I made that claim to myself, I felt better about it, and I realized that I had been self-conscious of my knowledge for a very long time. Then I finally concluded that maybe I want to be the absolute best at what I do. And that just because I wanted to be the best there is, that there really isn't anything wrong with that.

Take a look at football players. Do you think that they go into practice striving for a huge sense of modesty on the field? How many NFL players do you think have reached the pro-bowl while having the goal of "I want to be the most humble, modest, kind player on the football field" ?

I do want to be the best, and I don't feel that there's anything wrong with this. I do have an ego about it and I make no apologies for it. This is an automotive discussion forum on the internet where people come to discuss a specific subset of vehicles, along with ideas, maintenance, troubleshooting, and many other subjects. -- People don't really come on these types of forums because they're lonely and because they want to make friends. They come on here for a specific purpose.

I am not here because I want to become friends with y'all. I am not trying to join you for a pleasant dinner with you / your families. This is not a neighborhood social.

I do not care where y'all are from, how old you are, what you look like, how you feel, how much money you have, how many followers you may not have, and I certainly do not care about your egos.

On the contrary, what I do care about is your Honda transmission, and other specific areas of Hondas that I have previous experience with.

I'm not trying to date your sister. I'm not trying to take your moms out to dinner. I'm not trying to please your friends or your ego. I'm here to help you with your Honda transmission.

Matter of fact, just think of me as the Honda transmission equivalent of this guy:
The following 3 users liked this post by Bense:
nist7 (11-18-2020), thoiboi (11-10-2020), zeta (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts
^

Careful Bense, that guy is close to residency status at one of the three locations below:
Patrick B. Harris Psychiatric Hospital
William S. Hall Psychiatric Institute
G. Weber Bryan Psychiatric Hospital
I kid, I kid.
Bense (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 AM
Transmission Pro

Lol

POWER BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2020, 07:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts
^
Just curious, even though this thread and your experience is 'manual transmission' centric, in your discussions with the 'honda' engineers did they ever mention the changes that were made to the 06-07 Accord V6 automatics, that made them so much better, than the problematic auto. transmissions that originally came with the 2G CL / TL's back in the day?

Reason for asking is, even though my daily is a CL-S6, I have a 2G CL-S automatic project car (53K) that I purchased with the original factory transmission rebuilt by the previous owner at around 45K. I'm just waiting for it to 'crap the bed' again.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Transmission Pro

Sorry, but I know NOTHING about automatic transmissions.

The only vehicle I've ever owned with an automatic transmission was the chevy astro that I drove when I was doing my F2D swap in 2006.
zeta (11-01-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 06:51 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I can't wait for Trump to croak so I can piss his grave!

The GM/AC Delco fluid is the way to go, but I have to give credit to the new Honda fluid which Paul, our star master mechanic here in Nawth Jerzy says has come of age and is good too. After 16½ years and 335K miles, I think I've got a legitimate handle on the situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by DMZ:
horseshoez (11-07-2020), nist7 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
DMZ. Just want to thank you for your GM MTF updates. It really helps the argument to hear someone put 335k. I just got my 05 TL. I might even swap to GM/ACdelco mtf on my 11 sh-awd 6MT!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

​​​​​​​I've thought about this thread in the back of my mind for the last few days and how to best respond, or if I should even respond. It brings up a question that I've asked myself many times over the last few months.

For the most part, the help that I've offered to others online is very well received. However this a small portion that that think that I've got a foul attitude. A sense of arrogance, and a big ego. I cannot change how people feel, but at the same time I feel that people have expectations of me that I didn't necessarily ask for. That's not to say "Oh, its other peoples fault for having the expectation that I NOT be an asshole."

I spend a lot of time, and I mean a LOT of time talking with people online about Honda transmissions. I get messages from people from all over the world about transmissions, I spend a lot of time answering their questions, and I'm happy to do so because it is something that I am very enthuastic and very passionate about. My initial intention with my work on Honda transmissions was simply to entertain myself with them because I thought they were cool. Just a pure, genuine fascination for them. Not necessarily because I felt that they were the best transmissions available, or anything like that. Rather, it was what I had access to.

Fast forward several years. Okay, so now what do I do? I know the subject extremely well because I wanted to learn as much as I could about Honda transmissions and modifying them because I ENJOYED learning about it. This was never something that I did for the purpose of "let me just see how much better I can be than everyone else". I never set out with the goal of "I'm going to learn more than anyone else". The fact of the matter is that I had questions, and I couldn't find anyone else to answer them, so I sought out the answers myself. Then, around 2007 when I reached a point when I realized that my educational foundation was lacking and preventing me from understanding higher level, mechanical engineering concepts -- I quit my job and I went back to school full time and I pursued my bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. Now I didn't graduate, so I do not claim to be a mechanical engineer. (ME-403 - Controls / Multi-dimensional system dynamics is the only classroom ME course I haven't taken, the rest are lab/project courses). I've covered a lot of ground and I have learned a lot.

At a certain point I asked myself -- Am I the best out there at this stuff? Is this something that I am going to "claim" ? I thought about this for a while, and eventually I told myself that I was going to claim it. I had to be realistic with myself. After I made that claim to myself, I felt better about it, and I realized that I had been self-conscious of my knowledge for a very long time. Then I finally concluded that maybe I want to be the absolute best at what I do. And that just because I wanted to be the best there is, that there really isn't anything wrong with that.

Take a look at football players. Do you think that they go into practice striving for a huge sense of modesty on the field? How many NFL players do you think have reached the pro-bowl while having the goal of "I want to be the most humble, modest, kind player on the football field" ?

I do want to be the best, and I don't feel that there's anything wrong with this. I do have an ego about it and I make no apologies for it. This is an automotive discussion forum on the internet where people come to discuss a specific subset of vehicles, along with ideas, maintenance, troubleshooting, and many other subjects. -- People don't really come on these types of forums because they're lonely and because they want to make friends. They come on here for a specific purpose.

I am not here because I want to become friends with y'all. I am not trying to join you for a pleasant dinner with you / your families. This is not a neighborhood social.

I do not care where y'all are from, how old you are, what you look like, how you feel, how much money you have, how many followers you may not have, and I certainly do not care about your egos.

On the contrary, what I do care about is your Honda transmission, and other specific areas of Hondas that I have previous experience with.

I'm not trying to date your sister. I'm not trying to take your moms out to dinner. I'm not trying to please your friends or your ego. I'm here to help you with your Honda transmission.

Matter of fact, just think of me as the Honda transmission equivalent of this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QJ9i_o5vo
you're incredible.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Transmission Pro

you're incredible.
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,118 Likes on 2,557 Posts
discussion is kinda silly to say the least. Especially trying to compare a mid-90's Civic MT to the mid 00's TL gearbox which have different gearboxes and internal components (synchro's, gearsets, shiftforks,.....).
Unless one worked at the Honda manual gearbox design teams, IIRC there are two (one is more R&Dish which did the TLX DCT) both of which are in Japan. AFAIK, there are no Honda manual gearbox engineers in the US.

I've used Castrol synthetic motor oil in Honda/Acura MT (5 Honda's and Acura's with MT) when it was called out in the factory shop manuals (up to mid/late 90's), then Honda introduced their own MTF and issued the caution that motor oil is acceptable only for temporary use.
Since then have used both Honda brand MTF with mediocre results, I've had very good to great shifting with the GM-FM MTF which I recommend to others as well (works really well in Getag gearboxes too).

And the only SME on manual gearbox's I'd trust for his input on the subject matter is the late Pete Weismann, designer/engineer of the transverse MT for the McLaren F1, MP4/4, MP4/5, MP4/6

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-17-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny Owners: How has GMSFM fluid worked out for you over the long haul?