Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List Your Mods That Have Gone Bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
List Your Mods That Have Gone Bad

I got bored and searched for a thread like this, but couldn't find one. So I thought I'd start one where we can all share mods that we've done that didn't turn out as perfect as we would have liked it to.

Post up any mod that you've done (or know of someone else that did) that went wrong. Pics would be even better. Hopefully we can all learn something from each other if we decide to do these mods in the future.

I'll start if off with one of my own. It's kinda stupid on my part but it fits the topic...

I recently upgraded my sound system. When I ran my speaker wires, I mis-labeled the rear wires and marked input as output and vice versa on one of the rear channels. Essentially sending 150 watts of amplified signal back through the output of the factory amp! This blew my rear channels on the factory amp almost immediately. I had to piggy back the rear inputs from the front going into my sound processor so I could get rear audio.

It still sounds awesome, but I've lost my 5.1. It sucks to know that this could have all been avoided if I had double checked all my connections before I turned it on.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
buying Springs and shocks instead of buyin COILOVERS!!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
No way you've got it switched around. I love my H&R's! Just don't slam too much and ruin the handling. Coilovers allow you to really dial in the height evenly on all corners, front to back. And allow later adjustment if you change wheel/tire sizes, or rubbing issues. Just don't get cheap coilovers.

Don't try to upgrade the factory sub/location, unless your ready to dynamat the whole area, spend a lot of time, and not get that much improvement in the end. At least the kind of improvement that justifies the effort/money.

Last edited by powerflow; 01-14-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
buying full aspec at the dealer.... (made my wallets bleed); also getting the original 8.5 A-spec rims with the stock Yok's was like guaranteed curb rash.

haha to be honest all of my mods have gone well and i've never actually had a problem with any. The most extensive problem could be my piping, sometimes at really hard WOT i throw a CEL it blinks and goes away a few mins later or it'll stay lit and when i reset the engine it goes away and doesn't come back until next time i go full WOT.

i have a noticeable fingerprint on my zkw lens but that's my fault; and i never sanded down my headlight cover when i took it apart...plus i have random cat hair in there (which i blame fulani). my CFFL rings glow purple-ish when it's REALLY cold but go back to white when they heat up.
The phillips D2s bulbs are a different shade of white compared to the fog lights whites i have and my LED switchback tower is significantly bluer than the rest of my lights.

my A-spec kit is a bit loose and I may have to actually add some 3M tape after 5 years of sitting pretty snugly.

the door trim mod over the front dam starts chipping after about a year, so that needs to be replaced if placed under harsh weather conditions.

my basslink ground sometimes goes out, but that's like once every 5 months; and it's just a poor contact point.

by the time you read to this point you'll notice none of these things are big deals, and that none of my mods have really gone bad. So long as you aren't doing something ridiculously out there, most of these mods have been tested many times
Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a rattle sound coming from my center console due to installing my isimple and hardwiring my x50. Sometimes I wish I never took apart my dash, but at least everything works.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The Ebay chip that said it guaranteed +95 horsepower

Good thread
Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Installing my springs, some interior panels were scratched up.

My driver side sideskirt is about to fall off from my car being so low.

That's about all I can think of.
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm sorry man, I read it the other way around. I got ya now, I just read your post too quick. Duh !!
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
After clearing my headlights left alot of dirt inside, a fingerprint, and epoxy residue, ima re open in the spring to clean them and install CCFL's.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Freaking 9-LED wedge based bulbs in the License Plate would work for a few weeks then start flickering. Look like crap. 10,000 hour LED life my ass.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:50 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GE J47 Jet Engine...it turns out that the sheet metal in the body isn't strong enough for the mounts...DOH!!

Just kidding...I wish I had gone with coilovers instead of the A-Spec suspension. Don't get me wrong, I like the A-Spec, but I'd like a wee bit more drop, and I paid a total of $800 after install for the A-Spec suspension, and now that I realize how easy it is to do myself, I should have just bought coilovers for a few more bucks and installed them myself.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the Aspec suspension...rides nice ...not low enough so just bought Tein SS with the EDFC.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
I'm sorry man, I read it the other way around. I got ya now, I just read your post too quick. Duh !!

its kool
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by mglax13
I wish I had gone with coilovers instead of the A-Spec suspension. Don't get me wrong, I like the A-Spec, but I'd like a wee bit more drop
Originally Posted by audi_to_TL
Got the Aspec suspension...rides nice ...not low enough

I'm saving some money now to get Tein SS to alleviate that problem.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
Paying $220 for Eibach Pro springs only, then $200 to have them installed, then $150 for a rear Ingall camber kit I didn't need, then paying $240 for an alignment and Ingall kit install-it was raining heavy that day and I had nowhere to install them myself. Total price was $810 for a great look but a poor ride over big bumps. I will never get just springs again. I wish I had spent the extra and bought Tein Basic or Tein SS. This was on my ASM 07 TL-S that I sold in Aug 07.

Last edited by JD TL-S; 01-14-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Freaking 9-LED wedge based bulbs in the License Plate would work for a few weeks then start flickering. Look like crap. 10,000 hour LED life my ass.
ditto... i had light the 9WLED liscense plate lights, they worked for about 4 weeks give or take....flickered, and died....

Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
After clearing my headlights left alot of dirt inside, a fingerprint, and epoxy residue, ima re open in the spring to clean them and install CCFL's.
ahhh i learned my lesson.. first time i blacked out my own lights, i left fingerprints and a lil residue in there.... ever since then, i work with gloves and only used tooth picks for epoxying and silicone.. and clean everything nicely before re-sealing... just an FYI, be careful.... headlights never really hold up after they;ve been opened twice.. they tend to leak...

i never really had a mod go wrong on me.... except i guess my Rotoras

pretty much, 06 TL had the VSA modulator TSB, where the mod. was defective and pumped air into the brake system... acura replaced my master cylinder twice in the first week i owned the car,.... they eventually told me i was crazy, and that the pedal should always feel "soft"

so i upgraded to the Rotora kit with a bad master cylinder... i hit the brakes too hard, and they locked up something NASTY, and my BLACKURA died that shortly after.....
Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Installing H&R Sports Springs on stock struts. Started off nice and now .

Coil-overs are on the way, so the camber kits aren't a regret.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:32 PM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Same those lights just plain suck.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Good thread idea Trew, finally a fresh topic!!

Here's my failures with the mods in terms of defects.

1) Interior rear 12-LED bulbs 2-failures since Sept. 2006.
2) Front switchback bulbs. Since May 2007(DON'T BUY AUTOLUMINATION) had to plug that! lol!
3) Pyle 7.2" headrest monitors. Problems twice since Dec 2007. Got em cheap. Crap anyways, fixed under warranty for loose solder 2 months ago. Same problem again!
4) Dom's unit conked out, I am on my 2nd one.
5) KPTech window module is iffy but I think it is wiring. I seemed to have lost my auto-up/down on driver's side now??
6) Puddle lights First set lasted 3 wks, shorted out. The second set lasted 9 months now. Now they are acting up only 3 out work on each side. I was not expecting them to last long anyways.

Considering all the damn mods to the car, that's not bad at all!! It's a short list. No regrets!

In terms of mods that went bad because I am an idiot:

1) burned out my memory seat switches circuit board to turn to blue LED
2) burned out my security alarm panel circuit board to turn to blue LED
3) cracked my passenger-side door sill on reinstallation.
4) Broke about 30 clips in various places in my car, lol!
5) Scratched my trunk on removing a mismatched spoiler. (3rd day I owned the car! I screamed!)
6) Scratched my rear Type-S trim when my dremel slipped.
7) Scratches on the leather of my steering wheel hub, don't know how.
8) Scratches and gouges on the leather of my handbrake from removing the console.
9) Messed up carbon-fibering my A-Spec kit the 1st time, threw it out.
10) Tabs on the bottom of the seatbacks not staying
11) That rear parcel deck NEVER seems to sit properly into all those tabs
12) Rear seat cushion tabs: broke one side totally.
13) Scratched up my rearview trying to open it to change the LED, lol.
14) BIGGEST ONE: Cut my AM radio wire behind the center console when cutting a metal beam out. I had a heart attack because I didn't know what I cut. but once I got the part it was a SUPER easy replacement.

And people tell me I know what I am doing.....HA! It's called guts!

The price of learning. Ahhh it's worth it!

Last edited by rockyfeller; 01-15-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
In terms of mods that went bad because I am an idiot:

1) burned out my memory seat switches circuit board to turn to blue LED
2) burned out my security alarm panel circuit board to turn to blue LED
3) cracked my passenger-side door sill on reinstallation.
4) Broke about 30 clips in various places in my car, lol!
5) Scratched my trunk on removing a mismatched spoiler. (3rd day I owned the car! I screamed!)
6) Scratched my rear Type-S trim when my dremel slipped.
7) Scratches on the leather of my steering wheel hub, don't know how.
8) Scratches and gouges on the leather of my handbrake from removing the console.
9) Messed up carbon-fibering my A-Spec kit the 1st time, threw it out.
10) Tabs on the bottom of the seatbacks not staying
11) That rear parcel deck NEVER seems to sit properly into all those tabs
12) Rear seat cushion tabs: broke one side totally.
13) Scratched up my rearview trying to open it to change the LED, lol.
14) BIGGEST ONE: Cut my AM radio wire behind the center console when cutting a metal beam out. I had a heart attack because I didn't know what I cut. but once I got the part it was a SUPER easy replacement.

And people tell me I know what I am doing.....HA! It's called guts!

The price of learning. Ahhh it's worth it!
WTF? Lol. You must know the parts' salesmen well at your local Acura. I cringed when I read the circuit board damages.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
don't think my car is junked. it's all fixed and mint.

you pay to play.....literally

Last edited by rockyfeller; 01-15-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 AM
SlammedOnKonis

Now that I think about it:

Tint:
-3rd day I had the car, paid $160 for 35% all-around window tint.
-After two months, paid $155 again for 20% all-around.
-Then four months later, paid another $160 for 5% limo all-around.
-Now I'm thinking about paying another $150 for double limo....but I just can't justify it.

Suspension:
-Bought springs, paid $150 to have them installed.
-Bought Koni's two months later, had to pay another $150. I should've done both at once.

Lights:
-Had red LEDs in the domes for about a week, got sick of them.
-Then had some crappy white leds.
-Just paid about $100 for the 30-led domes from v-leds, but they're too damn bright so I ordered some less bright ones that are on their way.
-Broke my turn signal bulb harness trying to put in some LED lights. Luckily I took it to the dealer and they fixed it free.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me tonight. Did you get yours from v-leds too?

I learn from my past mistakes on my first car. But I just can't win with led bulbs. I am disappointed with leds once again.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts
Paid to have moleskin applied when my windows were tinted. Three weeks later when they started getting pretty scratched up,I took the car back and found the guy that did it went out of business, and never installed the moleskin.

Scratched my trunk installing my lip spoiler. (Rocky, I didn't just scream, I cussed like a sailor.)

Broke one of the white plastic "female" clips from removing my drivers door panel so much.

After jump starting my car ( battery was stone dead from sitting for 6 days ) my Kp Technologies window up module doesn't work anymore.

My Dice unit only says Dice or No Info in the clock display, but works fine on the nav screen, I don't understand that one. That happened after the same jump start.

One of the relays in my blinking front side markers is bad, so my passenger side doesn't blink when the headlights are on.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
+1

And the 1st set of black out headlights that the last owner said they were in great shape but ended up looking like a fish tank and the painted areas inside was total shit. Worse buy / Worse mod!

^ Now I got headlights done right and better. Fresh set and new start!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Having 2 consecutive shops botch eibach coil spring installs.

The First shop scratched the strut shafts and within 5 miles of driving 3 of the 4 struts were leaking oil everywhere. (200$ springs and $150 install)

The Second shop replaced struts with Tokico blues but forgot to take the strut shaft washers off the old struts so while driving down the highway and hitting a dip in the road, both rear struts went THROUGH the rear deck!($290 tokico blues $160 install. I WANT MY MONEY BACK DAMNIT!)

Doing it yourself the third time around - PRICELESS!

I learned my lesson. don't let anyone touch your suspension. I dont care who it is.

Last edited by gerzand; 01-15-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Pro

bought springs and tokico blues and had them installed and didn't like the ride, so i bought koni yellows and had them re install them. should've bought Teins..
Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
awesome thread! im learning tons of stuff from you guys...just trying not to repeat your mistakes
Old 01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems like the overwhelming winner is springs on stock struts! I was ok with my progress springs for around 6 months then I had to get coilovers. Springs are a good short term solution for the problem but not a perm fix.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 520 Likes on 296 Posts
i hope my wife doesn't see this... i'll be forbidden from touching the car
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E-shift Hi Flo Pro-Cats. Burned to charcoals by supercharger.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
bad idea for a thread. Makes me not mod my car

JK JK

Its good to know potential mistakes that one can make. So the best way is to learn from other peoples mistakes and not your own
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
The only thing I have issues with (well, had...I'm over it) are my custom tails...they aren't 100% perfect. But what I messed up isn't that bad, which is why I'm over it. Everything else has worked out perfectly.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Mid-Atlantic Region)

Received 269 Likes on 225 Posts
- Had 30% all around, didnt like so went ahead and redone to 20%
- Dropped my decklid spoiler during the time i was putting it on..
- Lower left foglight went out today as i was driving..
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCL622
the original 8.5 A-spec rims with the stock Yok's was like guaranteed curb rash.
Do the A-spec rims only come in 8.5?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by claydus
Do the A-spec rims only come in 8.5?
For 2004, they were 8.5, for 2005-2008, they were 8.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I kinda regret getting megan coilovers instead of Tien basics. I absolutely love the ride, performance, height, etc, but talking with my mechanic guy, these things apparently have lots of problems with the plastic 'washer' pieces (sit between the coil & the frame) on them breaking. A well known issue in the RSX community apparently... anyways, I'm just hoping its not such an issue for the TL, as it's not as slammed and probably doesnt take as much abuse. Still kinda seems like a matter of time though...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I installed my illuminated door sills myself. The first door I did was the passenger side and I cut too close to the door pin. Now for some reason everytime i take a hard turn, or if I have a passenger and they push on the door a little bit, all the dome lights come on and it says my passenger door is open ... but it can be fixed easily, im just too lazy to replace it since my gf already knows to not put pressure on it lol.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Originally Posted by sunny201
I installed my illuminated door sills myself. The first door I did was the passenger side and I cut too close to the door pin. Now for some reason everytime i take a hard turn, or if I have a passenger and they push on the door a little bit, all the dome lights come on and it says my passenger door is open ... but it can be fixed easily, im just too lazy to replace it since my gf already knows to not put pressure on it lol.
That seems annoying as fuck
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

^^

Quick Reply: List Your Mods That Have Gone Bad