Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid Wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Liquid Wrench?

So in my failed attempt to replace my front shocks due to the through bolt being rusted on and the other bolt on the fork (don't know the name) I was wondering how well does liquid wrench really work? I've sprayed the PB blaster on the bolts yesterday but I was thinking of getting the liquid wrench because I've read it works better.

To sum it up, if I spray the liquid wrench on now within two hours do you think it'll be ready to go? I've sprayed PB Blaster on the bolts yesterday so its been on there overnight. This is so frustratinggg....
Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
probably wouldnt make a difference. could you get a torch in there to heat it up? Got a breaker bar or a cheater pipe handy? A regular length ratchet/wrench wont do the trick.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ez12a
probably wouldnt make a difference. could you get a torch in there to heat it up? Got a breaker bar or a cheater pipe handy? A regular length ratchet/wrench wont do the trick.
I haven't tried it yet after letting the PB blaster sit. I used a breaker bar with a ratchet but it wouldn't budge, the ratchet would just click and I don't want to strip another bolt. Also I don't have a torch which sucks... On, a positive note I got the pressure switches in haha the easiest part.

No one else used this stuff when they had a tough bolt?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-24-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
PB Blaster seems to do the best job, I find.

Just don't snap your pinch bolt. It's the upper bolt that pinches your shock to the fork.
I snapped one, and lets just say it made the install hell.
I bought a whole bunch of expensive drill bits and removers to no avail. Ended up paying $60 (he gave me half price off since I helped him out) for a mechanic to take out the caliper, rotor, knuckle, and axle to remove the shock attached to the fork. He took the fork and strut to a workbench and knocked the pinch bolt out while heating it up.

Pain in the ass.

Last edited by guitarplayer16; 03-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
PB Blaster seems to do the best job, I find.

Just don't snap your pinch bolt. It's the upper bolt that pinches your shock to the fork.
I snapped one, and lets just say it made the install hell.
I bought a whole bunch of expensive drill bits and removers to no avail. Ended up paying $60 (he gave me half price off since I helped him out) for a mechanic to take out the caliper, rotor, knuckle, and axle to remove the shock attached to the fork. He took the fork and strut to a workbench and knocked the pinch bolt out while heating it up.

Pain in the ass.
Thanks for the insight, I read this thread (link provided) and he put the PB blaster on 2 weeks before install and said that it made a big difference. I may just spray on another application today and then call it a day. Only two bolts on the fork stopping me from installing the shocks. Tried of the floating feeling while driving. I really want to attempt to take it off again but don't want to snap or strip the bolt.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/diy-ht-spec-coilver-install-dummies-any-other-suspension-3g-garage-d-091-a-816065/
Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I like PB blaster. On difficult bolts I would let it sit, wipe off excess, then heat slowly with a torch. That generally worked.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by subinf
I like PB blaster. On difficult bolts I would let it sit, wipe off excess, then heat slowly with a torch. That generally worked.
I may wait it out, or just take it to a mechanic. I really don't have the time to mess around with it right now. I mean it shouldn't take a mechanic that long since the shocks are assembled already so it shouldn't cost too much.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Snapped both of mine, had to tig weld a nut on several times and apply heat before getting them out, took about 18 hours to do the suspension, had to cut the bolts off the toe and camber arms too, what a hassle. On a side not the ISC coil overs are awesome.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MacKenzie001
Snapped both of mine, had to tig weld a nut on several times and apply heat before getting them out, took about 18 hours to do the suspension, had to cut the bolts off the toe and camber arms too, what a hassle. On a side not the ISC coil overs are awesome.
Where did you go to get a replacement?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Due_Diligence
I may wait it out, or just take it to a mechanic. I really don't have the time to mess around with it right now. I mean it shouldn't take a mechanic that long since the shocks are assembled already so it shouldn't cost too much.
Yeah. Sometimes it is easiest to make it someone else's problem.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 152 Posts
I've never had a problem with any of those bolts ..

Just give them a shot of PBlaster like a week before you do your work, wipe off any drips and then drive it like normal for a week.

When you start doing the work after the car is up on stands or a lift spray the bolts again before you start your disassembly, removing wheels etc.. by the time you get to the bolts they should come right out without any issues.
The following users liked this post:
Due_Diligence (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mzilvar
I've never had a problem with any of those bolts ..

Just give them a shot of PBlaster like a week before you do your work, wipe off any drips and then drive it like normal for a week.

When you start doing the work after the car is up on stands or a lift spray the bolts again before you start your disassembly, removing wheels etc.. by the time you get to the bolts they should come right out without any issues.
I'll try it once more, good point you make. It's only the pinch bolt on the driver side fork that won't budge but I did spray it a bunch on saturday and sunday and I won't have time to get to it until a week and a half from now, so the bumps in the road should help loosen it especially these milwaukee roads. Before I take it to the mechanic i'll try it again to see if it turns then i'll go from there.

Originally Posted by subinf
Yeah. Sometimes it is easiest to make it someone else's problem.
Right, I just don't want to pay the money especially when I bought the shocks that are assembled already so it should be a basic unbolt, and re-bolt but noooooooo haha

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-24-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Due Diligence, you're new here-welcome to the site.

We have a Multi-Quote button. It's the middle icon in the lower right hand corner of each post. It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply. It will look like the post above.

Be sure to give it a try.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
probably obvious but did you give the area around the bolt (what the bolt goes through) a few good wacks with a hammer??
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my opinion here... I find it best to almost always use a six point socket when trying to remove nuts or bolts. It holds better, thus keeping you from rounding off the nut or bolt.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I assume that this is for bolts 16 and 21 -
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-pa...peed-automatic

You are using 1/2" tools, right? It's unusual that your ratchet is clicking when torqued. As suggested by others, breaker bar, cheater bar, six-point sockets, PB Blaster, heating, etc. Try a punch with a nice wide end (1/4" or so) and whack the nut and the end of the bolt. If you have the clearance, try an impact driver with a dead blow hammer.

If all that fails, pay someone to loosen the bolts, as suggested, and do the rest of the job yourself.

p.s. how does it drive with the new pressure switches?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
invest in impact! my life's been a whole lot easier since I invested in air tools
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Kroil, best penetrating oil on the market (everybody has their own opinion). CRC and Loctite make a product called Freeze-off, spray on bolt area only..... Kroil, allow time for penetration, Freeze-off, 6 point socket, DONE.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,737 Likes on 6,740 Posts
PB Blaster, time, patience, Breaker bar, and/or an impact wrench if you've got it. Just be patient with it though or you'll strip bolts and make life a living hell. I see you're in WI so that probably explains why it's so much harder (salt/ice/rust etc.). Good luck!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Asian Persuasion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Use air if you can. An air ratchet will do the trick.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Due Diligence, you're new here-welcome to the site.

We have a Multi-Quote button. It's the middle icon in the lower right hand corner of each post. It allows you to respond to more than one person in a single reply. It will look like the post above.

Be sure to give it a try.
Thanks for that!

Originally Posted by Conan O'Brien
probably obvious but did you give the area around the bolt (what the bolt goes through) a few good wacks with a hammer??
Yep def tried that. I'm hoping driving around all these bumps in the road will help.

Originally Posted by cam_2
I assume that this is for bolts 16 and 21 -
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-pa...peed-automatic

You are using 1/2" tools, right? It's unusual that your ratchet is clicking when torqued. As suggested by others, breaker bar, cheater bar, six-point sockets, PB Blaster, heating, etc. Try a punch with a nice wide end (1/4" or so) and whack the nut and the end of the bolt. If you have the clearance, try an impact driver with a dead blow hammer.

If all that fails, pay someone to loosen the bolts, as suggested, and do the rest of the job yourself.

p.s. how does it drive with the new pressure switches?
The only thing I haven't tried was heating it up but I sprayed it last week with PB and liquid wrench so when I have time I'll try it again. As for the switches I honestly can't tell a difference, it may shift a bit quicker? I have redline D4 ATF to put in once I have the time. Idk that'll prolly make more of a difference.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
PB Blaster, time, patience, Breaker bar, and/or an impact wrench if you've got it. Just be patient with it though or you'll strip bolts and make life a living hell. I see you're in WI so that probably explains why it's so much harder (salt/ice/rust etc.). Good luck!
I may see if I can get ahold of an impact I'm just afraid of splitting the bolt. Thanks!