Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letters to Various Editors - RE: Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letters to Various Editors - RE: Engine Vibration

I have sent letters to various editors of Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile Mag and Motor Week. I plan to send many more to various newspapers and other publications. Acura present stance on this problem is that engine vibration is a "Normal Characteristic" of the 2004 TL. This is coming from the Regional Rep of Acura. I don't know if this will help any, but it definitely can't hurt. The following is the content of the letter:

My name is XXXXXXXX and I have just recently purchased a 2004 Acura TL automatic. Upon driving the car, I've experienced vibrations at speeds of 30-35 mph and most noticeably at 50-55mph. I am aware that many are complaining about the tires, but these vibrations are definitely coming from the transmission and/or engine.

The best way to duplicate this problem is to drive on a slightly inclined road, and gradually reach 50 mph. At that point, the engine will shift to 5th gear at 1500rpm. While applying just enough throttle in order to maintain speeds within 50-55 mph, I've noticed that the engine will buzz and vibrate. If you ease off the throttle, the vibration goes away. Also, if you shift down using the sport shift mode to 4th gear, the engine stops vibrating as well. If you use the sports mode and not the fully automatic drive, vibration does not occur. (where the driver can control the shift points). The root of the problem appears to be that my TL cannot perform well at 1500 rpm. The engine will vibrate.

This engine vibration can be duplicated at anytime, regardless of how long you have driven the car, be it 5 minutes or 3 hours.

I've had my car at the dealer service for 18 days without a resolution. Finally, a District Parts and Service manager from Acura corporate asked to meet with me to discuss this issue. I didn't get the response I was expecting.

The District Parts and Service Rep from Acura corporate claimed that this was a "Normal Characteristic" of the new 2004 TL. I have read from many 2004 Acura TL owners that they do not experience this problem from various Acura forums.

Recently, I've spoken with an Acura Regional Client representative and he also states that this is a "Normal Characteristic" of the 2004 TL and there is nothing more Acura can do for me. I can’t imagine that I have just spent 35K on a car that exhibits that type of characteristic and engine vibration at any speeds.

XXXXXXX has tested and driven many cars, including the 2004 Acura TL. Have you experienced this problem with your long-term test of the TL or any other make or model? Also, in your professional experience, what would be the cause of this engine vibration and is there a potential solution?

I personally did love this car, but the engine vibration is making me regret ever buying the 2004 TL. I am also concerned about the long-term effect of the constant engine vibrations...can it effect engine mounting, engine parts, etc.

I would appreciate any insight that you can provide.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Advanced

I wonder what you wish to accomplish with this.
You are going to have better results with an attorney then with editors of car magazines.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by shingles
I wonder what you wish to accomplish with this.
You are going to have better results with an attorney then with editors of car magazines.
Warn potential buyers of this problem If Acura is stating that this is "Normal Characteristic" of this car, I believe they (the consumer)has the right to know. I sure wish I would have known!

BTW...I am pursuing legal action as well.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically this gives Acura some incentive to get off their asses and do something abotu it.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:02 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with an issue like this is that only about 10% of the buyers will be concerned or even think the vibration is a problem or unpleasant. The other 90% will either not care or be unaware of the issue. This is why auto manufacturers handle these problems in this manner. If they put out a bulletin or a recall they will spend millions in service. If they handle the concerned 10% individually, the cost is much less.

I had a similar experience in the last 4 months regarding a 2004 Maxima with very bad vibration issues over 60mph. Wasn't the tires, or engine. Something in the transmission, drivetrain, steering rack, etc was out of round, out of balance, and/or just not right. Nissan would go no further than balancing the tires. I too wrote many letters and took my issue to arbitration to have Nissan buy the car back.

For those of you that have problems with your TL, heres the bad news...
Nissan knew it and Acura knows it... During my arbitration, Nissan came right out and stated: "We have a vibration problem with the 2004 Maxima. We have determined it is a "Normal Characteristic" of the vehicle". I had work order after work order stating the problem with my Max, even the arbitrator felt the bad vibration in my car. When it was all said and done I was given the arbitrators decision - Nissan/the car manufacturer would not have to repair, exchange, or buy my Maxima back! Why??? Because it was deemed/presented by Nissan as a "Normal Characteristic" of the vehicle.
I would not bring this up on this forum but my recent experience tells me that is exactly why Acura is already calling the vibration a "Normal Characteristic". Labeling it with those words automatically all but voids any BBB or lemon law complaints.

My Nissan dealer stepped up and bought my car back at a VERY minimal loss for me. Thank God he was somewhat of a friend. The ironic part is I got rid of one vibrating car and am in the process of waiting for my TL/navi to be delivered. The TL I test drove exhibited 0 issues or vibrations. But after placing the deposit and spending the last few weeks finding/reading this forum has me nervous to say the least. I've already informed my Acura dealer that I would not be signing ANY paperwork until after the car arrives and a thorough test drive is accomplished...

I only pray all is well with "the" TL and that your issues are resolved.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays

Smitty
Old 12-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Let me ask you this... have you tried a Hunter GSP9700 balance machine? Perhaps you can get your local dealer to agree to pay for it if you have it balanced?

I've recommended this a few times on a couple threads. The Hunter machine is a pretty special machine and is something that is critical on big(ger) rims and low profile tires...

Regardless even if you had to pay for it yourself, it'd cost less than a lawyer.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Lemon law, in most State would not let car makers get away with "it's
normal " if it subtantially impacts use safety or value , tried to fix 3 times / out of service 30 days, it is a lemon, BTW go State Lemon Law, not BB arbitration
Old 12-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by shingles
Let me ask you this... have you tried a Hunter GSP9700 balance machine? Perhaps you can get your local dealer to agree to pay for it if you have it balanced?

I've recommended this a few times on a couple threads. The Hunter machine is a pretty special machine and is something that is critical on big(ger) rims and low profile tires...

Regardless even if you had to pay for it yourself, it'd cost less than a lawyer.
Dude...it's not the tires, it's not the tires...it's not the tires...I don't know how many times I have to state this.

For some...it may be the tires (probably experiencing diff type of vibration) but 2 service tech, Acura District Parts and Service rep also stated it is not the tires. If so, service would not have had my car for 18 days???? Like I mentioned in my previous post, the District guy explained to me why I am feeling the vibrations...engine shifting to 5th at 50mph in auto causes the vibration. This is a "Normal Characteristic" of the 04 TL, so they state.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by KJSmitty
My Nissan dealer stepped up and bought my car back at a VERY minimal loss for me. Thank God he was somewhat of a friend. The ironic part is I got rid of one vibrating car and am in the process of waiting for my TL/navi to be delivered. The TL I test drove exhibited 0 issues or vibrations. But after placing the deposit and spending the last few weeks finding/reading this forum has me nervous to say the least. I've already informed my Acura dealer that I would not be signing ANY paperwork until after the car arrives and a thorough test drive is accomplished...

Smitty
Thanks for the post and info...even though this supports my worst fears...that lemon law may not apply in my case???????

By the way...I hope you have the same "friendly" relationship with the Acura dealer. Hope u don't have the same vibration issues. Make sure u read the post above and that u cannot duplicate the vibration before taking delivery.

If u don't have the vibrations, can you PM me once u take delivery. Can argue that it is not occuring in all Acura TL's.

Also, I'm suprised that the dealer didn't make u sign a non disclosure clause or is this only in cases where u deal with the manufacturer?

GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-16-2003, 06:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by fsconsult
engine shifting to 5th at 50mph in auto causes the vibration. This is a "Normal Characteristic" of the 04 TL, so they state.
So the new update of shifting ECU software could help? We could sacrifice some MPG for reducing the vibration....
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Racer

I foresee this tire issue becoming akin to the quickly-wearing brake problem G35 owners were having.

Initially, Infiniti was saying that the brakes were high-performance equipment that would experience accelerated wear, yet many G35 owners weren't able to stomach $700+ brake jobs every 8-12 months. The issue was brought up so much at various dealers and online forums that Infiniti recently changed their position -- they now warrant the brakes for 36 months/36,000 miles (except the Brembo-equipped 6MT coupe) AND they are reimbursing those who have already paid to have their brakes replaced. Infiniti was therefore able to almost instantly dissolve some of its most harsh owner criticism. Had they sent out that letter 3 or 4 months ago, before info was released about the 04 TL, I'd be driving my G35 6MT sedan right now, as it was that very issue (along with the complaints about paint chipping) that ultimately made me decide not to purchase that car.

Acura can do what Infiniti did and label this tire vibration as a "normal characteristic," but the complaints will only worsen as the number of people owning the car increases. And the roar of criticism from current owners will annoy dealers and drive away potential sales. Infiniti corrected its brake issue and now looks like the epitome of customer service (i.e. they recognized an imperfection and fixed it both prospectively and retrospectively). I'm hoping Acura will step up, address this issue quickly, and free this board of posts about vibration .
Old 12-16-2003, 07:39 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jyg tl 3
Lemon law, in most State would not let car makers get away with "it's
normal " if it substantially impacts use safety or value , tried to fix 3 times / out of service 30 days, it is a lemon, BTW go State Lemon Law, not BB arbitration
"If it substantially impacts use, safety, or value" This is a very true statement, weighed heavily by both BBB and Lemon Law arbitrators. The problem is, like my Maxima, a vibration is a subjective issue. Some people may notice it some don't. Is it really a safety issue?? I guarantee you would have to debate that one until your blue in the face... Would it "significantly" effect resale value?? Believe me, it must be significant,,, also a subjective area.

By no means am I trying to argue with anyone here. BBB/State Arbitrators act under a strict set of guidelines/parameters. But each will be different and personal opinions etc, though supposedly unbiased, may/will play a part in the final outcome.

You are VERY correct in stated to skip the BBB and go with your State Lemon Law division. It was VERY evident with my dealings with the BBB that they were way more in the manufacturers court than mine. But what I stated above is true regarding the State folks also. I was heavily in discussion with my "case worker" when my dealer gave me my way out.. I took it due to the less than 50/50 chance I had of winning with the state..

Truly a pain in the back side going through this type of issue.

Now, as for the TL vibration, is it literally as bad, feeling wise as tires being out of balance or is it a subtle "buzz" as I believe someone said in the seat of your pants?? I really tried to find it during my last test drive but didn't. Could it have been the road surface masking it? I was on a new fairly smooth concrete road though. Wheel balance felt completely smooth through the steering wheel. Obviously not trying to downplay fsconsult or anyone else's vibe, but when it occurs will I definitely feel it? I have felt cars "lugging" in too high a gear before but it was more of a straining feel than a vibration.

Thanks guys,

Smitty
Old 12-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally posted by princed
Acura can do what Infiniti did and label this tire vibration as a "normal characteristic," but the complaints will only worsen as the number of people owning the car increases. And the roar of criticism from current owners will annoy dealers and drive away potential sales. Infiniti corrected its brake issue and now looks like the epitome of customer service (i.e. they recognized an imperfection and fixed it both prospectively and retrospectively). I'm hoping Acura will step up, address this issue quickly, and free this board of posts about vibration .
Hear, hear! I agree 100% with you. acuraddict has mentioned that Acura brass are working on a solution to the vibration problem, we just have to wait for a response. I am hoping that they will replace the tires, I'll be asking for Michie Pilot A/S, which I was planning to replace my tires with anyway.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Now, as for the TL vibration, is it literally as bad, feeling wise as tires being out of balance or is it a subtle "buzz" as I believe someone said in the seat of your pants??
I think it depends on which one you have. Mine, for instance, is almost certainly tires; every time the dealer has messed with the balance of the tires he's changed the characteristic of the vibrations I feel in the wheel. And it only increases in amplitude and frequency with speed.

These are different than the slight NVH that I get from the engine when it's running at low RPM (something I'm used to from my Odyssey, and that doesn't bother me at all).

I took the safety angle (and mentioned that I'm up to three visits in a 4-visit Lemon Law state) with Acura Client Services on this issue when I spoke to them today.

My concern is that in my experience, every time I've had or known someone who had a tire that was impossible to balance, there was something seriously wrong with the tire (usually separating belts).

The fact that my dealer has balanced my tires multiple times, and been unable to get them running smoothly, tells me there's something structurally wrong with at least one of my tires. I'm not willing to bet my life or my family's lives otherwise. My car stays off the highway until it can run smoothly above 50mph.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Racer

A few thoughts came to mind as I read the original post:

- If that gets published, it will get Acura's attention, probably. However, I'm sure the issue already has their attention.

- If it gets published, it won't exactly do wonders for resale value. (The real effect is probably minimal, of course)

- I've read and subscribed to car magazines for decades. I've never, ever seen a letter of that nature published. The exception is the BMW Car Club of America publication (Roundel) where it's full of those every month (about BMW's). General circulation magazines like Car and Driver are highly unlikely to publish it as they are only interested in things that will entertain most readers. Everybody has a story to tell about an individual car, and the magazines probably get bags full of letters each month about "small" problems with individual models.

- I hope the problem gets fixed. My 5AT model has the "square tire" issue when cold, but I've looked for and haven't found a significant transmission or engine vibration problem yet.

- There isn't a car make and model manufactured that doesn't have issues that owners complain about. If that car existed, I'd buy it if I could afford it. Some, however, are better than others.

Just as an aside, I've noticed that lots of people wait for the 2nd model year before buying, thinking that most things will get fixed. The general trend seems to be that that doesn't happen. If you look at reliability data from year one to two to three, etc., there's generally no improvement. Take the Mercedes ML SUV. Started out terrible. Still terrible. Take the TL transmission problem a few years back. It took years to get fixed, and that assumes that it is fixed. There's not much doubt, though, that a few big things can and do get fixed fairly quickly. If Acura sees the square tire issue as a problem, and it sounds like they do, the least they will do is soon start sourcing a different tire for the production line.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Now, as for the TL vibration, is it literally as bad, feeling wise as tires being out of balance or is it a subtle "buzz" as I believe someone said in the seat of your pants?? I really tried to find it during my last test drive but didn't. Could it have been the road surface masking it? I was on a new fairly smooth concrete road though. Wheel balance felt completely smooth through the steering wheel. Obviously not trying to downplay fsconsult or anyone else's vibe, but when it occurs will I definitely feel it? I have felt cars "lugging" in too high a gear before but it was more of a straining feel than a vibration.

Thanks guys,

Smitty
Vibration is a buzzing feel of the engine. Also, the vibration does not occur 50mph and on. The engine vibration occurs when driving constantly within the 50-55mph range with throttle. In other words, just reaching 50 and passing to say 65 in a very short spurts, u will NOT feel the engine vibration. RPM will not stay steady at 1500. BTW...1500rpm seems to be common the denominator to vibrations - at 30-35mph, if driving under heavy traffic condition and are forced to gradually throttle to that speed, the engine revs at 1500rpm, then you feel the vibration; also, when you reach 50 mph, the engine shifts to 5th and again you are at 1500rpm and vibrations. REMEMBER: without applying gas, u will not feel the vibration.

That is why it is best duplicated going up an inclined road, since at 50mph, you can give more throttle and still maintain speed within 50-55 mph. If you reach 60mph, the vibration begins to dissappear. Going down hill, u will not be able to duplicate.

U will definitely feel it if u have this problem. Engine noice increases and the vibration is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal. In rough roads, u may not notice the vibration, but u will notice engine noice (buzzing, low tone humming). Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Your initial response talks about vibration at two different speeds but you then focus primarily on the 50 mph speed. Under the circumstances you describe that is usually the point when the torque converter locks up just after going into 5th. I have no experience with the 04 TL but that was the way it was on my 02 Type S. Its possible that under those precise circumstances the solenoid is causing the torque converter to lockup, unlock repeatedly because its at the shift point and is doing fast enough for it to appear as a vibration. It has grade logic control and does actually learn your driving patterns. One suggestion might be to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and clear the memory of the TCM and ECM. It then has to re-learn and may correct the problem. You didn't mention whether increasing throttle pressure more radically causes the problem. If you accelerate slowly to 55 to 60 mph, do you get the vibration at all?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by OldGuy
Your initial response talks about vibration at two different speeds but you then focus primarily on the 50 mph speed. Under the circumstances you describe that is usually the point when the torque converter locks up just after going into 5th. I have no experience with the 04 TL but that was the way it was on my 02 Type S. Its possible that under those precise circumstances the solenoid is causing the torque converter to lockup, unlock repeatedly because its at the shift point and is doing fast enough for it to appear as a vibration. It has grade logic control and does actually learn your driving patterns. One suggestion might be to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and clear the memory of the TCM and ECM. It then has to re-learn and may correct the problem. You didn't mention whether increasing throttle pressure more radically causes the problem. If you accelerate slowly to 55 to 60 mph, do you get the vibration at all?
Interesting you mention the solenoid and torque converter. Acura service actually replaced those on my tranny, but didn't help. Then they got the go ahead from Engineering group in CA to replace my entire auto tranny. The Acura District Parts and Service rep put an immediate halt to this. This is when he explained that my car is performing within "Normal Characterics" of the Acura TL.

To answer your questions:

1. Your initial response talks about vibration at two different speeds but you then focus primarily on the 50 mph speed.

[/B]Yes...since at 50mph, it is most pronounced

2. Its possible that under those precise circumstances the solenoid is causing the torque converter to lockup, unlock repeatedly because its at the shift point and is doing fast enough for it to appear as a vibration.

[B/]Not sure. But the vibration is constant so long as I maintain 50-55 with throttle.

3. You didn't mention whether increasing throttle pressure more radically causes the problem.

[B/]Yes it does...that is why best duplicated while going up an incline road. So long as u stay within 50-55 mph with throttle.

4. If you accelerate slowly to 55 to 60 mph, do you get the vibration at all?

[B/]Yes...but gradually dissappears as u reach closer to 60 mph.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Instructor

It sounds like the automatic transmission is "lugging" - that's what my 6MT would be doing if I were in 5th gear at 1500 rpms (and I sometimes accidentally do it while trying to "baby" my car during break-in). If I shift to a too-high gear for my car speed, the engine's rotation speed is forced lower than it should be which places a lot of strain on the engine. You see this as vibration.

Don't you AT owners think this sounds like your problem? Could the AT have learned your driving pattern during break-in and now that you're trying to accelerate at a decent rate, the engine just hasn't recalibrated itself to accommodate? Perhaps if you work to gently increase your speeds and recalibrate the settings gradually, the problem will disappear... Is there any way to reset the "learned" shift patterns?
Old 12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you try driving another new '04TL on the lot to try and replicate the problem and validate the DM's comment that this is a common quality of all TL's????
Old 12-17-2003, 01:34 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Many dealers aren't allowing the general public to test drive the "ordered" cars -- those that have deposits on them when they roll off the truck. That being the case, how should I approach a potential test drive to see if it exhibits this problem before I take delivery? What do I say to the dealer?
Old 12-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

It seems to me that it would be in Acura's best interests to just buy back your car or give you a new one. They can take a hard line if they want, but as a potential buyer reading this thread the thing that pops into my mind is "have they really fixed the tranny problems from the 2nd Gen?"

I'm planning on buying in the spring, but this gives me reason to reconsider. The way they handle your specific problem, and the more widespread tire problem, will go a long way towards determining whether I'll be a new TL owner. As for the tires, I've already determined that I WON'T be purchasing until they're using something else as standard equipment. If that means I have to wait until '05, so be it.

fsconsult, IIRC you were dealing with Pohanka, correct? How have they treated you throughout this ordeal (without regard to Acura corporate stopping the replacement of the tranny)? Keep us posted!!

Jim
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by fsconsult
Dude...it's not the tires, it's not the tires...it's not the tires...I don't know how many times I have to state this.

For some...it may be the tires (probably experiencing diff type of vibration) but 2 service tech, Acura District Parts and Service rep also stated it is not the tires. If so, service would not have had my car for 18 days???? Like I mentioned in my previous post, the District guy explained to me why I am feeling the vibrations...engine shifting to 5th at 50mph in auto causes the vibration. This is a "Normal Characteristic" of the 04 TL, so they state.
Dude, I didn't say it's the tires did I? Did you bother reading the hunter site to get an idea what the machine does and where some tire vibrations come from?

http://www.gsp9700.com

I know you are fraustrated, but relax and explore your other options while you are dealing with them.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, this is amazing. I have a 2003 TL-S which I am getting ready to take lemon law action on, due to the recurring transmission problems you all know well. It seems Acura cannot build a car anymore. Maybe they should fold up and go back to engineering school. Totally not impressed.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jim.arrows

fsconsult, IIRC you were dealing with Pohanka, correct? How have they treated you throughout this ordeal (without regard to Acura corporate stopping the replacement of the tranny)? Keep us posted!!

Jim
My experience with Pohanka Service department was dissapointing at first, but after proving it to 2 service techs, they did, IMO try in "Good Faith" to repair my car, even ordering a new transmission. They tried and tried to repair (for 18 days) until the Acura District Manager stepped in. Can't blame the dealer.

My problem is with Acura corporate. Once the District Parts and Service guy determined that my engine vibration problem was a "Normal Characteristic" of all Acura TL, customer service would no longer escalate my problem. I had to try and try again to even speak with the Regional manager (District guys boss).

What the Regional guy basically said was "we rely on our District Parts and Service person to investigate customer complaints" His word is basically gold and final.

I've requested if he (Regional Manager) can't help me, then I want to be escalated to his boss. He basically stated, no matter who you contact within Acura, the District manager is basically the front line person and Acura Corp will stand behind his findings. So basically, even if I write or attempt to speak with, let's say a VP, that VP will merely forward the issue to the District Manager. So I'm caught in endless loop. Regional guty suggested filing a complaint with the BBB.

The only way to find relief now is to pursue a solution outside of Acura Corp.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by MikeElmendorf
Wow, this is amazing. I have a 2003 TL-S which I am getting ready to take lemon law action on, due to the recurring transmission problems you all know well. It seems Acura cannot build a car anymore. Maybe they should fold up and go back to engineering school. Totally not impressed.
I agree...Acura is not much of a 'value leader' now, is it?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:58 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by princed

Infiniti treats their customers better. They are number one in terms of customer satisfaction for the last 2 years (over taking Lexus). Wish Acura was better
Old 12-17-2003, 02:52 PM
mjw
Cruisin'

ACURA SERVICE

Just had to put in my 2 cents on Acura service. We had a '97 3.5 RL that was out of warranty and they chipped in for the repair cost of a window mechanism and an ABS booster. As they should have, this car only had 58,000 miles and Acura has done the service since new.
We sold it and bought the TL as a replacement, because all window mechanisms were defective and would (may) eventually need replacement. There were numerous other recall and bulletin fixes (font bottom ball joints, all brakes and rotors, transmission recall, etc.) that were done over the years. I estimate the cost to be in the neighborhood of $4k. I didn't expect this amount of work on Honda's flagship luxery vehicle.
I too have my concerns about Acura service and quality regarding the TL, and only time will tell if they have improved or are still the same. Hopefully not worse.
By the way we owned a Chevy truck for 10 years (sold it with 98k miles) and we had virtually no problems.
Regards to all.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

To chime in, I've had my TL since October and never noticed any vibration. And quite honestly, the people who are saying they notice it seem to have to do alot to get there (go up an incline, gradually press the gas, get to 50 mph, drop to 1500 rpm, stick your left hand 3/4 of the way out the window . . .)

I think the right person can find something wrong with anything. I think that those sorts of people are the people that populate these boards. For example, I really want Sprint to come out with a bluetooth phone and I check the boards daily about that. B/c I do, it seems like everyone is really interested in that subject or pissed that Sprint doesn't have Bluetooth. Reality probably is that most people could give a s&*t about it. Likewise, the reality is that this vibration doesn't exist in most cars or isn't felt by most people.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:05 PM
10th Gear

jsmithlock, I think that's his point. The vibration DOESN'T exist in everyone else's car, but Acura is trying to claim that it's normal and sweep it under the carpet. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if I dropped $35k on a car, had a problem that I felt wasn't normal and (obviously) is preventing him from enjoying his new vehicle, and was then told by Corporate that it was "normal" when two of their OWN service techs thought it was bad enough to warrant replacing the entire transmission. I think I'd be pretty ticked off!!

Once again, I'll just say that myself, and I'm sure a lot of other potential buyers, are reading these boards and want to know how these problems will be addressed. Acura has a pretty lousy recent track record with the tranny, and I'd think to stop these types of posts they'd go above and beyond to alleviate anything that might be remotely related to the tranny.

fsconsult, thanks for the info re: Pohanka, I guess that's about par for the course (i.e. they think you're full of it until you can actually prove there's a problem). At least they tried to get you the new tranny...
Old 12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

Oops, was cookied under my original username here at work, sorry 'bout that...

Jim
"just100"
Old 12-17-2003, 05:03 PM
On the way!

This actually sounds like an engine mount issue. Does the '04 have the vacuum adjusted hydraulic engine mounts front and rear - like my '02?

Engine mounts like these should dampen any lugging the engine might be going through when it's at such a low RPM.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:38 PM

I have sent letters to various editors of Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile Mag and Motor Week
I swear these mags average one complaining Acura owner a month....
Old 12-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jsmithlock
To chime in, I've had my TL since October and never noticed any vibration. And quite honestly, the people who are saying they notice it seem to have to do alot to get there (go up an incline, gradually press the gas, get to 50 mph, drop to 1500 rpm, stick your left hand 3/4 of the way out the window . . .)

I think the right person can find something wrong with anything. I think that those sorts of people are the people that populate these boards. For example, I really want Sprint to come out with a bluetooth phone and I check the boards daily about that. B/c I do, it seems like everyone is really interested in that subject or pissed that Sprint doesn't have Bluetooth. Reality probably is that most people could give a s&*t about it. Likewise, the reality is that this vibration doesn't exist in most cars or isn't felt by most people.
First of all, the only reason I went into that level of detail is to explain the optimal way of duplicating the problem for those who wanted to try. By the way, it is not dificult to duplicate.

Anyways, no car of this level should vibrate even at 130 mph let alone under 60 mph. Even if I tried every which way, I could not duplicate this problem in any other car at this level.

Since your are part of the majority of owners who are not experiencing engine vibration, be happy and stop insulting the unfortunate ones that must deal with this f*%&^ problem.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
fsconsult:

I tried an experiment today on your behalf. (I'm on vacation this week anyway, and wanted to go for a drive. ) I drove on the freeway at 50 mph, level road, just ever so slightly pressing the accelerator. Believe me, it was painful to drive so slowly . This led to a deep hum coming from the engine compartment, but no vibration. If I accelerated above 50 or decelerated below 50, the hum disappeared. The hum sounds to me like the same low-frequency growl I hear at low speed. I experienced the same sort of sound with my prior TL, so I assume this is normal. If you feel the vibration at the same time, perhaps it really is the torque converter? I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm trying to understand the nature of your problem in case this happens to me.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by neuronbob
fsconsult:

I tried an experiment today on your behalf. (I'm on vacation this week anyway, and wanted to go for a drive. ) I drove on the freeway at 50 mph, level road, just ever so slightly pressing the accelerator. Believe me, it was painful to drive so slowly . This led to a deep hum coming from the engine compartment, but no vibration. If I accelerated above 50 or decelerated below 50, the hum disappeared. The hum sounds to me like the same low-frequency growl I hear at low speed. I experienced the same sort of sound with my prior TL, so I assume this is normal. If you feel the vibration at the same time, perhaps it really is the torque converter? I'm no automotive engineer, but I'm trying to understand the nature of your problem in case this happens to me.
neuronbob;

I appreciate the fact that u actually tested this.

My vibrations are probably anywhere between 10 to 20 times what u r feeling.

As I posted earlier, the engine hum or vibration that everyone may be feeling can be categorized between "1" through "5" "1" being the vibration at that speed can be barely felt. While level "5" is vibrations that is pronounced, therefore causes vibrations to be felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal.

I'm guessing that u r experiencing a level "2". Unfortunately, I am experiencing a level "5"

What Acura needs to do is determine why some feel a level "1" vibration, while others (like myself) is feeling a level "5"

Acura is treating the TL like their emperor, tell Acura that the TL "has no clothes"

I think Acura is still in the denial phase. I wish they will hurry up and get to the acceptance phase already. PLEASE. All I want 4 Christmas is for Acura to admit the problem and give me an incident number for the resolution!

BTW: I'm traveling for business, therefore been drinking... Accuse me if I'm slurring!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Cruisin'

Does the vibration feel as if you're driving over rumble strips, or as if you've drifted off the side of the road and hit those "wake up!" strips? If so, the EXACT same problem is well known to mid '90s T-bird owners, and is in fact the torque converter. The Ford TSB solution is to drain the tranny fluid and replace it with a synthetic. I had this service performed ~3 years ago and the "rumble" has never returned... just a thought.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jim.arrows
Does the vibration feel as if you're driving over rumble strips, or as if you've drifted off the side of the road and hit those "wake up!" strips? If so, the EXACT same problem is well known to mid '90s T-bird owners, and is in fact the torque converter. The Ford TSB solution is to drain the tranny fluid and replace it with a synthetic. I had this service performed ~3 years ago and the "rumble" has never returned... just a thought.
Hey Jim;

I assume u r a MD grad. I've graduated fron the Robert H. Smith School of Business, class of of 94. Go Terps!

Service states that they have already replaced my torque converter on my tranny. Also replaced my solenoid. Didn't resolve issue. THANKS!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Instructor

for those of you with this vibration problem .I suggest you check on your States Lemon Law . In most States if within 3 repair attempts/ 30 days out of Servic e a defect which substantially (SP) impairs use safety or value can't be fixed
you are entitled to a new car, money back (possibly less milege allowance)
or to be released from your lease. Check with your States Department of Consumer protection, or similiar agency.
tro file Lemon Law Case/ depending on how severe vibrati0on is you may be entitled to relief. Do not go to BBB for
arbitration, AS state Lemon law is more
benificial to consumer. I suggest this post be made a STICKY
Old 12-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Instructor

I tested as well - with my 6MT. There's no way your AT should/could be at 1500 rpm in 5th gear at 50 mph. If I tried that my TL's engine would vibrate also.

It's not a question of your engine not performing well at 1500 rpm because it performs well at 1500 rpm in other gears & performs well in sport shift.

It's not a question of a poor performing transmission because once again the transmission performs well any any other speed/level of rpm's & also performs well in sport shift mode.

It's also not endemic to the AT because not all AT cars are experiencing this problem.

After having read posts of this nature, I'm firmly convinced that the fault lies in either the learning mode of the transmission or some other aspect of computer control of the transmission.

Those with this problem may have a transmission that has learned an aggressive or a non-aggressive style, and now you are driving it differently (i.e. you are driving differently when you encounter the very specific situations that cause the problem). If there is a way, I would have your service manager reset the transmission and retrain it.

Alternatively, the computer could somehow have a messed-up shift sequence (could've come mis-programmed from the factory or perhaps an electrical surge corrupted the module). Your service manager should have a way to check this.

I'm pretty confident that you'll find a fixable solution. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Letters to Various Editors - RE: Engine Vibration