3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about Keys, Remotes, and Other Great Stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk about Keys, Remotes, and Other Great Stuff.

I did a search on this site for information about keys. I found a lot of information but I still want some things cleared up before I pull the trigger on buying some stuff.

I just bought a 2005 Acura TL about a month ago. Non-Nav. It came with one key, and one remote (FOB? What does this acronym stand for?).

I would really like to purchase another remote, and another key for the car. I've seen that remotes can be bought on e-bay for a fraction of the price that some dealerships would charge. I've also seen that programming these remotes can be done by one's self. So here are my questions.

1. Why are people paying to program the REMOTE?

-I've never done it myself, but the instructions I've read seems pretty self explanatory.

2. For a replacement physical KEY, why are people talking about programming it?

-Don't you program the remote?
-One thread out of the dozens that I've read regarding keys mentioned that newer cars have a chip inside the physical KEY, not REMOTE.

3. Is this true for my car?

4. How can I tell?

5. Is my only option going to a dealership and hoping that they won't rip me off?

6. Is there a cheaper alternative on the internet?

7. And lastly, can someone point me in the right direction in which I can get all these things at the cheapest possible price not sacrificing quality?

Thanks a bunch,

Tim

--------------------EDIT--------------------------

And one other question that I'll just piggy back on this thread.

How can I up my MPG? I see some of you getting up to 35 MPGH while I on the other hand am getting 20-21 MPGC. Any quick things I can do to improve this? My tires are the correct pressure, I don't think I have that much of a heavy foot...

Last edited by schme; 07-30-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
You can get the FOB (which is a word) here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=FOB

Or contact:
csmeance, as he has keys made as well and can probably answer all of your questions.

Welcome to AZ
Old 07-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the warm welcome! My first car was a 96 2.5TL and I loved it! Too bad it suffered from a transmission problem.

Any answers to my questions though? XD

Last edited by schme; 07-30-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
When you buy a new key and fob, two things have to be done.

1. The Key has to be cut, and the immobilizer chip in the key has to be programed to your VIN. This can be done at the dealer (Free - $55 depending on the dealer, and if you bought the car from them) or some independent locksmiths have the ability to program keys ($35-55 approx).

2. The remote (fob) has to be programmed to unlock doors, trunk, etc.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JMillerUA6
When you buy a new key and fob, two things have to be done.

1. The Key has to be cut, and the immobilizer chip in the key has to be programed to your VIN. This can be done at the dealer (Free - $55 depending on the dealer, and if you bought the car from them) or some independent locksmiths have the ability to program keys ($35-55 approx).

2. The remote (fob) has to be programmed to unlock doors, trunk, etc.
Thanks.

But am I correct when I said, the remote is very easy to program or am I missing a major step? From what I remember, you put the key in the ignition and turn it to II a few times and press a few buttons on the remote/passenger-select panel.

Thanks for clearing up the 'chip' in the key issue. All keys have an immobilizer chip in them and THAT is the thing in the physical key that has to be linked to my cars VIN.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by schme
I did a search on this site for information about keys. I found a lot of information but I still want some things cleared up before I pull the trigger on buying some stuff.

I just bought a 2005 Acura TL about a month ago. Non-Nav. It came with one key, and one remote (FOB? What does this acronym stand for?).

I would really like to purchase another remote, and another key for the car. I've seen that remotes can be bought on e-bay for a fraction of the price that some dealerships would charge. I've also seen that programming these remotes can be done by one's self. So here are my questions.

1. Why are people paying to program the REMOTE?

-I've never done it myself, but the instructions I've read seems pretty self explanatory.

2. For a replacement physical KEY, why are people talking about programming it?

-Don't you program the remote?
-One thread out of the dozens that I've read regarding keys mentioned that newer cars have a chip inside the physical KEY, not REMOTE.

3. Is this true for my car?

4. How can I tell?

5. Is my only option going to a dealership and hoping that they won't rip me off?

6. Is there a cheaper alternative on the internet?

7. And lastly, can someone point me in the right direction in which I can get all these things at the cheapest possible price not sacrificing quality?

Thanks a bunch,

Tim
People pay others to program the remote since they don't have access to these steps, which are taken out of the service manual which you can buy.

The Remote (unlock/lock) needs to be programmed to the keyless entry unit with the turn on/off repeatedly steps. This can be done by anyone as long as they have the directions and keep the proper time between steps.

The Key needs to be programmed as well. Inside the key is the immobilizer chip. This chip is part of the anti-theft system. The chip needs to be programed to the car in order for it to start the car. This needs to be done using a special computer that hooks up to the OBDII port. A locksmith/dealer can do it from anywhere from 40 dollars to 150 dollars, depending on the area. This is necessary for the key to start the car.

To get it done the cheapest, you can buy a switchblade key from Mr. Heel Toe for 130 or so dollars or ebay for less (I think I saw someone selling theirs for around 110 dollars (not one I made), otherwise you spend 70 for the remote and then 30-50 dollars for just the key from acura. Program the remote yourself, and pay a locksmith for the cutting and immoblizer programming. All said and done, it could cost form 100 dollars to 300 dollars depending on which route you take.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:58 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
You are correct, the remote Fob is easy to program. There are #1 and #2 fobs which can have different personal settings for seats radio etc. The immobilizer key can also be purchased from ebay; just make sure you get the correct one for your car. The key then must be programmedand cut by a locksmith or the dealer. All keys must be reprogrammed at the same time. If you use a locksmith you can sometimes save by taking the keys and car to them between appointments if that makes sense.

Finally, there is a switchblade style key available for the 2004-2005 TL that was standard after 2006 I think. That is what is being sold by csmenace. Again, make sure that you get the correct one for your car if you gom this route.

THe only way to improve your gas mileage is to change your route to one without stop and go driving and turn off your air conditioning. Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MR1
You are correct, the remote Fob is easy to program. There are #1 and #2 fobs which can have different personal settings for seats radio etc. The immobilizer key can also be purchased from ebay; just make sure you get the correct one for your car. The key then must be programmedand cut by a locksmith or the dealer. All keys must be reprogrammed at the same time. If you use a locksmith you can sometimes save by taking the keys and car to them between appointments if that makes sense.

Finally, there is a switchblade style key available for the 2004-2005 TL that was standard after 2006 I think. That is what is being sold by csmenace. Again, make sure that you get the correct one for your car if you gom this route.

THe only way to improve your gas mileage is to change your route to one without stop and go driving and turn off your air conditioning. Enjoy!
I forgot about the memory keys!

Acura incorporated memory seating with our cars, if the Memory 1 key is used, when the door is opened the seat and settings will change to the memory one settings automatically. If the memory 2 key is used, then it will switch to the memory two setting.

On the back of the key, there should be a symbol of a seat and a number next to it, either 1 or 2. This is the memory position that the remote is for. This number cannot be changed, so if you have 2 memory 2 keys, you can't make it into a memory 1. Be sure you order the right memory seat key!

Also as far as the switchblades, Richi and I are not making them anymore, it's been to much of a headache to wait for 3 months to scrape together 25 buyers for a batch of keys, and because of the wait people go to Mr. Heeltoe who can ship them out the next day.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you all for the informative replies!

It's going to cost a pretty penny if I want this done, so I guess I'll just have to BATTER UP!

But it remains that I only have one key so sending my one key out to HeelToe would be out of the question since I wouldn't be able to drive my car.

Option One: Purchase a switchblade, pre-milled (Am I correct in seeing that he is selling them for 60$ pre-milled?) And going to a locksmith/dealer to have it cut and have the immobilizer chip programmed.

Total Cost = 126 + (Cost of cut and programming at a dealer)

OR

Option Two: Go to a dealer to buy another key, have it cut and programmed. Buy a remote from e-bay.

Total Cost = Dealer key + cut + programming + remote

I'll have to search around for estimates.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

You don't have the valet key in your glove box? That will at least allow you to open the car manually and start it (drive).
Old 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Nope just one key. Can anyone in the Northern Virginia area recommend a place where I can get my keys cut and programmed for a reasonable price?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Advanced

Programming the FOB

I just got a used FOB off eBay and it was really easy to program, they even included the programming instructions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I also bought my car and only got one key and one FOB. I went the route of getting an extra FOB because then at least if I lock my keys in my car I have something to open it, plus it was only 20 bucks shipped!!

Now I have a question about the actual key. I have seen it on eBay but when I called my dealer they said it would cost an hours worth of labor which is $120!! WTF!!! If I get the switchblade style is that what its going to cost me to program that??
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only difference between the valet and regular keys...is the valet cannot open the glove box....right? It has no rev limiter or performance gov....right?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

Good idea Glocknerd, I think I might do that just for starters. But in the end I want a spare key.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Glocknerd
I just got a used FOB off eBay and it was really easy to program, they even included the programming instructions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I also bought my car and only got one key and one FOB. I went the route of getting an extra FOB because then at least if I lock my keys in my car I have something to open it, plus it was only 20 bucks shipped!!

Now I have a question about the actual key. I have seen it on eBay but when I called my dealer they said it would cost an hours worth of labor which is $120!! WTF!!! If I get the switchblade style is that what its going to cost me to program that??
programming the switchblade is the same price as a regular key. They must be thinking that you want a laser-cut blank cut, which takes about an hour to cut properly.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

So I called a dealer near me, I'm still going to check other Acura dealers, and their price is 55 for a key and to get it cut plus 107 for the chip to be programmed. Man that's pretty steep.

I also talked to the guy and asked him about the switchblade keys and he said that they weren't compatible with my TL, an 05. Anyone have luck with linking a switchblade to an 05 TL?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

So I called a dealer near me, I'm still going to check other Acura dealers, and their price is 55 for a key and to get it cut plus 107 for the chip to be programmed. Man that's pretty steep.

I also talked to the guy and asked him about the switchblade keys and he said that they weren't compatible with my TL, an 05. Anyone have luck with linking a switchblade to an 05 TL?
The dealer will only confuse you. I have a switchblade key for my 2005 TL and so do a lot of others. My dealer was amazed when I showed it to them. They only have official knowledge about what is available through official channels. If you try to confirm what we have done here with them, it will not add up. I don't remember exactly what I paid for my key but I think it was about $100 for everything. There was a hugh thread here almost three years ago. There was a dealer in LA or LV selling keys on ebay. You will need to get it programmed locally for a number of reasons. Again, the dealer is the vendor of last resort; most expensive option around. Best thing after obtaining a key is to just work the phone book to find a locksmith with the equipment to do immobilizer keys who is not trying to get rich on each transaction.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Bcause you are new...
I put in some of the work for you...
here are 23 pages of education on the key, should answer all your questions many times over...happy reading.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...witchblade+key
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Cruisin'

Thank you very much for the thread MR1.

I am new here and I intend to stay. Looking at what some people have done with their cars, I want to do it all too! As of now I have very limited knowledge of cars but am capabale of learning. Off the top of my head I want....

Key keys/remote
The Accord fog light conversion
The KPTech Windows roll up thing
Splash guards

I can't justify my spending on these things though! I came across that thread about the trunk tray for 55$ shipped and spontaneously bought one. I'm not having buyers regret, but ask myself, "Do I really need this?"

Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Moderator

I can't justify my spending on these things though! I came across that thread about the trunk tray for 55$ shipped and spontaneously bought one. I'm not having buyers regret, but ask myself, "Do I really need this?"
Most mods are really not needed. But I think the trunk tray is a must. It really protects your trunk from things like sand, spills, dirt, snow, etc. It's so easy to slide out and clean compared to bending over to vacuum the trunk........
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Tracking says it'll come on the 6th of August, I can't wait. I was also fiddling around with the cargo net and couldn't figure out how to place it in the trunk. On one of the posts that I followed I came across the 3G garage. Every question I ever had was answered there. This site is AWESOME.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

FYI...I have an O6 TL and also needed a spare key made. Ordered an ilco brand blank today from sales@mysecuritypro.com; for $15.55, includes shipping of $1.95 with USPS . Before you order it, make sure you can find a dealer willing to cut and program a key not purchased by them. I checked an local Acura dealer and the parts dept. said the cost would be $70. This is less than what another dealer was going to charge which was $60 for the blank key with $60 more for the cutting/programming. I also, purchased a E-Bay used Fob for around $20 plus shipping. E-Bay's blank keys are less in cost but the shipping costs are much higher.

Good Luck with the new car!