Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Hear from New TL Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets Hear from New TL Owners

Ok, I'm calling around to dealerships in the Boston area, ready to strike. Before I take the final plunge, I have a favor to ask:

Any of you have taken ownership of your 04 TLs, what's the bottom line? Would you buy it again? What do you think about your car in comparison to what you were driving before? Differences? Likes/Dislikes after driving them for a while now? Any info would be great.

And, any names of salesmen in the Boston area and the dealerships they work would be great (for those that bought them here). Please let me know if you liked or disliked them, so I know who to seek oout or avoid at any given dealership.

So Far: Dave Bouchet at Acura of Peabody, and Richard somebody from Clair in Walpole are the people I've spoken to. Waiting for a return call from Acura of Boston.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Ryan
Old 10-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've now had my 04TL almost two weeks. I'm happy with it, and I'm still glad I bought it. It does have a couple of rattles that are mildly annoying, but it is a low 2600 build, so I guess that is a bit expected.

My comments after four days are here:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=63674

-r
Old 10-28-2003, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Love!!!

I bought my car about a week ago and would not change a thing. I came from a '02 TL-S and there is no comparison. Trany is much more smooth. Very little roll in corners. Much more quite on the highway. The inside is amazing. Still learning all the new buttons and voice commands. Have not used the bluetooth yet. Waiting for the Motorola V600 phone. I find the seats to be very comfortable but more narrow than my old TL-S. I like how all the buttons are illuminated (cruise, stereo, windows, etc...) when lights are on. The xeon (spelling?) highbeams are sweet. The only thing I wish it did (and this is petty), I wish the side running lights (front) were blinkers. The only accessories I added were the deck lip spoiler, side molding, Huper Optik tint (won't interfere with Navi), and black mats (replaced the quartz). I do have one little rattle but what car doesn't!!! Build # in low 5000s.

You will not regret buying this car!!!

SSM / Q / Navi
Old 10-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro

brandomc, would love to see pics of your TL with the lip spoiler and the side molding. Was thinking about the same two accessories.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Advanced

So far so good as being the new TL for almost a month, ten plus miles from 1K miles. Some comments as follow ...

* You do feel the road when cutting a sharp turn like getting into the freeway, more handling feel.
* Of course it's powerful, when comparing to my sister's 03' 325.
* do need to caution when making turns into a street, parking lot because the two arms of wind shield supporting the roof do block the view at the direction you're turning. So, tilt your head to double check and make sure, no car/people at that direction.
* Interior/Navi/Air Con/Cockpit/etc. are good, easy to use, good form factors and layout, even at night, they are lit up and so easy to access.
* Gas milage seems not as high as I expected, it's about 240 miles at about 1/8 ot 1/4 left in tank. Thought it can be higher, average (based on the computer) is about 19 for my drives. Possibly because I don't need to catch the freeway, mostly local. then is as expected for the range of 19 to 29.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Took delivery of my NBP/Ebony 5AT NAVI on Saturday 10/25. I traded in my 99 Accord. I bought at MSRP, and the dealer waived the $250 processing fee and threw in wheel locks. Got financing through AHFC at 4.74% for 60 months (put 11K down). So far everything about the car is just beautiful. Still getting over the new car mania/phobia, but I drove it to work today for the 1st time, and got all kinds of looks, even when parked. I thought it was very funny when I pull onto the highway this morning, and there was an 03/04 Accord coupe about 10 carlengths back that put on his afterburners to pull up to me to get a closer look. All I saw when I glanced at him was a nodding of his head with a smile.

This TL drives like a dream, very tight and handling is great. Interior quality is first class and the fit/materials are top notch. (BTW, I have sat inside of BMW 330 and MB S500). The TL is right up there in MY opinion. Still practicing and trying to remember all of the voice commands. My coworkers got a kick of what it was able to do. No regrets with the TL whatsoever.

Minor concerns:
Leather seats wrinkles a little after seated for a while.
On some occassions, upon driving from a cold start, I noticed a little vibration in the steering wheel and thought that the tires may need to be balanced or aligned. After a couple of minutes, it went away and was much smoother. Anyone noticed this on their new TL.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Racer

Took delivery of my TL on October 24. So far so good. My previous ride was an 03 BMW 330i. While the TL comes a very close second to the BMW in road driving, the interior leaves it in the dust. There is really no comparison to the BMW on the interior fit anf finish. Cheaper to maintain and insure too. I do not regret for one moment my decision to trade up to the TL.

Only discovered one minor rattle coming from the seatbelt height adjustment bracket on the drivers pillar.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
1256 miles as of this afternoon, I'll have had it for one month on Monday, still loving every moment in the car. No major issues. Will post a more formal 1 month review on Monday sometime. VIN # high 1600's. Is that 5000 # above correct? They couldn't have built 5000 already...
Old 10-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Advanced

TL Pics

Pics with the following:

Side molding
Lip Spoiler
Huper Optik Ceramic 30 Tint

SSM / Q / Navi / 229 Miles
Old 10-28-2003, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Lip Spoiler Close-Up

Hope this helps!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Neuronbob,

My VIN# 19UUA662X4A005525, so they're producing at a pretty good pace.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Advanced

mine is low 5000's as well, took delivery 10-23-03
Old 10-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Advanced

hey brandomac is yours tinted?... mine is with Centaur-50

did the DMD guys put their little texas badge on the back of yours??.... i think it looks pretty nice back there.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Racer

Originally posted by timnguyen9
Minor concerns:
On some occassions, upon driving from a cold start, I noticed a little vibration in the steering wheel and thought that the tires may need to be balanced or aligned. After a couple of minutes, it went away and was much smoother. Anyone noticed this on their new TL.

I also have the leather seat problem, but only seems noticable in the drivers seat.

I'm also getting a vibration problem, when cruising between 45 and 55 mph. So I think it may be wheel balance/alignment. I'll wait and see...maybe it's because of the new tires.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by BigBluu
I also have the leather seat problem, but only seems noticable in the drivers seat.

I'm also getting a vibration problem, when cruising between 45 and 55 mph. So I think it may be wheel balance/alignment. I'll wait and see...maybe it's because of the new tires.
If I am not mistaken, there is something about this in the owners manual, that the car runs rough for the first few minutes until the computer has the car running properly. Might be wrong.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Pro

brandomc, thanks for posting the pics. The side molding looks better than I thought it would. I'll have to consider getting it too. Maybe I'll pick the car up and think about it. What do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TorontoTL
brandomc, thanks for posting the pics. The side molding looks better than I thought it would. I'll have to consider getting it too. Maybe I'll pick the car up and think about it. What do you guys think?
I didn't get them because I like the cleans lines of the car without it. It's just decorative anyway. Really doesn't protect your door from dings unless the offender happens to have doors that only ding at that height.

The only add I would get would be the deck lid spoiler. But at the cost of nearly $700 installed, I don't think so :wow:
Old 10-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Advanced

DMD Badge

Originally posted by turbowhat
hey brandomac is yours tinted?... mine is with Centaur-50

did the DMD guys put their little texas badge on the back of yours??.... i think it looks pretty nice back there.

I had them take off the David McDavid badge. I like my car to look clean and don't like to advertise. I'm even thinking about taking off the Acura emblem. I think it would look cool to have it just say "Acura TL"......Just a thought... Tinted? Yes, I put Huper Optik Ceramic 30 on all windows. Pro Tint at Preston and Cambell put it on. They are great!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Hey Brandon, it's me again.

I called up Pro Tint and they're charging me $40 more than they charged you ($399). They must really like you or something!

Is that Huper Optik really that dark or is it because you parked in a shadow? Did they say it was legal? Do you have any pics with your car out in sunlight? I'm seriously thinking about getting this stuff, especially since I bought a black/ebony.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:13 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
........Minor concerns:
I had mine back to the dealer a few days ago, complained about the vibration, they found one wheel off by just a small amount (they said 0.2 oz), the regional rep was also there, he told them that the "low profile" tires on this car, have a tendancy to get flat spots when cold and go way after a few miles of driving (this is what he said). I am not so sure about that, I had the same size 235/45-17's on my last car and never had that problem, it could be a brigestone issue, or all season issue, as the ones I had wear harder summer compound).

Hope that answers you question.

Also, the regional rep said the wrinkling of the seats was "normal", but it would be good to document this on your first visit in case it leads to cracking later (I am not saying it will crack, but just in case )

good luck!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:30 PM
Instructor

need4spd,

thanks for the update....

so after they rebalance the wheels to make up for the 2oz differential, the problem went away?
Old 10-31-2003, 12:34 PM
Advanced

300 miles and loving it. The leather does seem to wrinkle. Plan to add a little Lexol to protect this weekend.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Cool

I'm loving my new TL more everyday. White with parchment interior has been a good choice. VIN # 708 here and no major problems. Although I would like to warn all of you with new TL's to be careful when parking. Because the front end is so low, you can may a tendacy to park too close in front to cement barriers and therefore scratch the front bottom bumper, which I have already done! Guess I will be getting some touchup paint and hope it will cover sufficiently for the time being. Almost 900 miles and it has been a great drive! Lots of comments and compliments!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:47 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
need4spd,

thanks for the update....

so after they rebalance the wheels to make up for the 2oz differential, the problem went away?
seemed to do the trick when I drove it today, had it up to 80 (ps - 0.2 oz, not 2oz)!