Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tread
Anyone have a recomendation to get my leather to look like new?

I did lexoyl (sp?) the second week, and each month after.

This photo is after only 4K miles and dealer calls it "Normal" along with the regional?

No LEXOL!!!!!!!!!NO WAY! You might want to redye you leather using Leatherique, or leather magic. Once that's done - use a PREMIUM leather conditioner like Pinnacle, Zymol TREAT. Remember - you get what you pay for! Those conditioners are expensive - but are worth it.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the darker leathers show the wear more so than the lighter.... Funny, I owned by Saab for almost 3 years and it didn't wear anywhere like my TL. Guess this is where Honda cut a corner using cheap leather. I approached my dealer about the seats, but hasn't heard back from the Regional rep. Anyone know how difficult it is to re-skin a seat?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:50 AM
Cruisin'

well if you are looking for a car with premium leather - you gotta get a premium car! I mean one of those expensive ones - 60k and up. Jaguar leather is premium quality, but I don't think you want to pay that much just for leather.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:04 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, the leather in the TL is excellent quality leather...not cheap as some people say. The fact that it's wrinkled has nothing to do with the quality up to a point. Leather is a natural animal skin, and it is going to stretch and wrinkle with time. Look at any good quality sofa or chair, after it's used for some time, it's going to have those same type marks and wrinkles. If it cracks, and shows the inside skin thru the finish coat, then that's cheap leather or defective. Black does seem to show the lines more than light colors, but unless it's cracked, it's just normal wear. Leather stretches and does show lines after time unless you get a real thick hard leather like the old Legend had. I had one, and I can tell you it didn't wrinkle like the TL seat, but wasn't as soft and comfortable either. I guess you have to make a manufacturing decision...go with hard thick leather that won't wrinkle and stretch as much, or pick a soft, supple comfortable leather......guess which one we got?? Personally, I like the TL seats much better than the hard leather in the Legend.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
all leather with little holes stretch. my parent's lexus and bmw all have leather without holes. they are very firm and don’t stretch much. but they feel harder.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by supercharged_amg
No LEXOL!!!!!!!!!NO WAY! You might want to redye you leather using Leatherique, or leather magic. Once that's done - use a PREMIUM leather conditioner like Pinnacle, Zymol TREAT. Remember - you get what you pay for! Those conditioners are expensive - but are worth it.
hmmm, i have been using Lexol for years on my italian leather couch, no issues. why do you say "no way" to Lexol ??
Old 08-16-2004, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

I just found out that all seat in the New Acura TL are going to be recalled due to the material of the leather and how they heated them up for creating the seat. The seat will in a quick time start sheading and you will see small particals of hair from the seats coming up, fade to wrinkle to rip. The worst seats to have right now is the Black leather because its most noticable. White marks appear very noticable.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Intermediate

All seats are going to be recalled?? Where did you hear this?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by johnboy99
I just found out that all seat in the New Acura TL are going to be recalled due to the material of the leather and how they heated them up for creating the seat. The seat will in a quick time start sheading and you will see small particals of hair from the seats coming up, fade to wrinkle to rip. The worst seats to have right now is the Black leather because its most noticable. White marks appear very noticable.

???????????? More information please.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cvajs
hmmm, i have been using Lexol for years on my italian leather couch, no issues. why do you say "no way" to Lexol ??
I'm not going to say that Lexol is a bad product - it work and conditions well when use on warm/hot leather - simply put it on and leave it for a couple hours. It works well then. But sometimes you need even deeper conditioning and that's where a premium conditioner needs to be used. I just don't like that sticky feeling Lexol leaves. As of overall rating - it's worth $9 (that's how much it cost at PepBoys). BY the way, have you tried those premium conditioners I mentioned before?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:32 PM
10th Gear

Acura dealership sales Manager told me after calling 3 times and showing up that they will be recalling seats. I was told why but not where and how many cars. Not all cars will be. Only a selected few I would assume. I am taking my car in this weeknd and they told me it will be 2-3 hours to replace.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Racer

hmm I have 300 miles on my car and just purchased it less than 2 weeks ago and I am starting to see the leather stretch...do you think my seats could be replaced also? I'm 6'1 and 225 lbs. Maybe I should post pics
Old 09-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
It's dead skin

Originally Posted by donkeykang
hmm I have 300 miles on my car and just purchased it less than 2 weeks ago and I am starting to see the leather stretch...do you think my seats could be replaced also? I'm 6'1 and 225 lbs. Maybe I should post pics
Leather is skin. Dead skin. Usually from a dead cow.

It requires treatment with oils/conditioners to stay soft and pliable. Our TL leather seems to be delivered "dry". I got my car in April and have conditioned it with Zaino's Leather in a Bottle three times. The first time, it sucked it up.

Yes, the leather stretches if it is soft and pliable like a baseball mit. It will also shrink. If you let it get dry and hard, it may not stretch and shrink. That would not be good. It could also crack.

Mine stretches when I sit in it a long time. I'm 6' 2" and 180. Then overnight, it usually regains its shape. Leather does that. That's what makes it more comfortable than cloth or vinyl to most people. It conforms to your shape.

Acura also uses a glove-soft leather in the TL. It is not as thick and bumpy as some manufacturers use (BMW-GM-MB). It is more like Connolly leather in Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Jaguar.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I treat with LEXOL once a month and my seats look great. I have had the car since 11/03 . A little care goes a long way. But you must start BEFORE you get all the wrinkles or its too late.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
Intermediate

BTW, Edmunds (I think it was) just published their longterm review on their TL and also
thought the leather was too "soft". Mentioned baby seats to causing lots of leather "dings".
NOT cool, since I have a baby and will be buying 05 TL eventually...
Old 09-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Instructor

I disagree. My benz has only a few wrinkles which are BARELY noticable. I have over 50k miles on the car and it is 3 years old.

This was a problem with my first car (95 acura integra gsr) I loved the car. Only problems was rattling and leather that cracked an insane amount. I guess you just have to live with it. As some people have said, if you want premium leather, you have to pay for it. This is a 30k car and not a 80k car.

I know we all want a perfect car but acura is not going to loose money by giving everyone top of the line quality stuff. If they did, the TL would run over 50k.

Originally Posted by JetJock
Guys, the leather in the TL is excellent quality leather...not cheap as some people say. The fact that it's wrinkled has nothing to do with the quality up to a point. Leather is a natural animal skin, and it is going to stretch and wrinkle with time. Look at any good quality sofa or chair, after it's used for some time, it's going to have those same type marks and wrinkles. If it cracks, and shows the inside skin thru the finish coat, then that's cheap leather or defective. Black does seem to show the lines more than light colors, but unless it's cracked, it's just normal wear. Leather stretches and does show lines after time unless you get a real thick hard leather like the old Legend had. I had one, and I can tell you it didn't wrinkle like the TL seat, but wasn't as soft and comfortable either. I guess you have to make a manufacturing decision...go with hard thick leather that won't wrinkle and stretch as much, or pick a soft, supple comfortable leather......guess which one we got?? Personally, I like the TL seats much better than the hard leather in the Legend.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

6', 190# here. Started noticing stretching and now puckering in both the front seats. My anthracite/quartz is only a few months old with barely 2K miles on it. Nearly all trips have been short duration. On the driver side the stretching is at the point that I smooth the seat after sitting so I don't feel the wrinkle.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by supercharged_amg
I'm not going to say that Lexol is a bad product - it work and conditions well when use on warm/hot leather - simply put it on and leave it for a couple hours. It works well then. But sometimes you need even deeper conditioning and that's where a premium conditioner needs to be used. I just don't like that sticky feeling Lexol leaves. As of overall rating - it's worth $9 (that's how much it cost at PepBoys). BY the way, have you tried those premium conditioners I mentioned before?
Lexol is a fine product, made from the same basic components as the "premium" brands you state - I sense you are back-tracking a bit with the rather enigmatic phrase of "deep conditioning". Many premium leather mfr's recommend Lexol.

I use kits from Townsend leather - www.townsendleather.com The $38 kit is great, and the ink/lipstick remover is worth the price of admission alone. My wife left a green umbrella on the rear seat, and a small amount of the green dye transferred to the seats. Nothing would touch it! Even tried mineral spirits. I finally recalled that the Townsend kit had a little tube constructed like a "lip balm". You gently rub and rub it, and the stain disappears.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Instructor

Road Rage,
Hey thanks for the tip on Townsend. Just ordered the leather "kit" from them and hope these products will do the job to keep my parchment interior great looking.
Craig
Old 09-18-2004, 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

Had problems with passenger reat seat leather buckling (not butt prints). Dealer agreed it was bad and agreed to replace the entire back seat. Just picked it up and looks good.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidfagin
Had problems with passenger reat seat leather buckling (not butt prints). Dealer agreed it was bad and agreed to replace the entire back seat. Just picked it up and looks good.

what build date is your car?

so what's going on, lot's of posts about leather issues. did honda goof on their seat fabric choice and design ???

i have not had any issues yet, but my TL was a april build and i got it in may. my TL also gets shared use with my 4runner.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:04 PM
DWP
Advanced

Are the side bolsters on the TL's seats even covered in leather, or is it some synthetic material? Usually, with a car in the TL's price class, only the seating surfaces - the performated strips between the side bolsters on the seat bottom and back - would be done in leather. THe rest of the seat would be done in a matching synthetic. The Acura web site is ambigous on the issue: "Perforated leather-trimmed seats and door panels."

I don't doubt that this question has been covered many times before here, but searching under "seats", "leather", or even "leather seats" seems pointless.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have about 12000 miles will they replace my seats
Old 01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by JetJock
I hear people talking about other leather problems, but does anyone else have problems or even care about the fuzz that comes out of the holes in the leather. This drives me nuts, and although I don't really get too concerned about lines and wrinkles...it just looks like real leather to me...the fuzz really looks bad.
I have black hair-like fuzz coming out of the perforations - only on the passenger seat - and it drives me nuts too! Have you found any way to get rid of it? I also have the butt prints everyone refers too... complained to the dealer about both and they said "normal wear, nothing they can do"

Mine is a 2004 with about 8500 miles, black leather
Old 02-14-2005, 07:48 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidfagin
]

Do you have any pictures of the before shot?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

My dealer took one look at the driver's side seat and replaced it. BUT ... they replaced it with the same seat design. BOOO!!! Oh well, it's on record that they replaced it, so I guess they'll keep on replacing it until they give me the 2005 seat design.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:11 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by TLover
My dealer took one look at the driver's side seat and replaced it. BUT ... they replaced it with the same seat design. BOOO!!! Oh well, it's on record that they replaced it, so I guess they'll keep on replacing it until they give me the 2005 seat design.

Tlover, which dealership is that? I talked to Pleasanton dealer and they said, I need to talk to ACS and gave me ACS number.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoganJani
Tlover, which dealership is that? I talked to Pleasanton dealer and they said, I need to talk to ACS and gave me ACS number.
Acura of Pleasanton. The service rep (of one of those cute chicks) took one look and said "OK."
Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by TLover
Acura of Pleasanton. The service rep (of one of those cute chicks) took one look and said "OK."

Hmmm. I need to talk to cute chick then. The one I talked to may be was not cute. She talked to me along with the service manager who said that he bought a couch (04) last year and the leather on the new sofa (05) is diff and the furniture store would not give him new leather. I was like You did not buy couch for $40K.