Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nking54580
Lol, you are a funny dude. Its cool though, no problems.
It's no fun if you don't take the bait. Good job.

BJ
Old 05-23-2004, 02:15 PM
the Budman

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Let's face it: Butt prints, like butts, come and go.

Try to get a GF with a big butt. It spreads out the weight. However, if you're getting butt prints around the corners on the sides of the seat bottoms, you've gone too far. If you're having trouble finding girls with big butts, contact boltjames and ask for his little black book. :facelick:

XP
Yeah, the wife would love that!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Well I have my TL for 8 days now. It has 500 miles on it. The leather on the drivers seat is stretched really bad. It's not a butt print. It's actually a big bubble. I agree that leather will wrinkle and I already getting that so that's OK. But the big bubble under the leather on the seat is not normal. I am going to take it in this week and see what they say. Put it this way. The leather has stretched so bad that I can pinch the bubbled leather.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djmgolf2000
Well I have my TL for 8 days now. It has 500 miles on it. The leather on the drivers seat is stretched really bad. It's not a butt print. It's actually a big bubble. I agree that leather will wrinkle and I already getting that so that's OK. But the big bubble under the leather on the seat is not normal. I am going to take it in this week and see what they say. Put it this way. The leather has stretched so bad that I can pinch the bubbled leather.
Also, I had a 2002 MDX with 40000 miles on it and it never had this problem. And I currently have a 2004 MDX with about 5000 miles on it and it doesn't have this problem either.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Thirsty?

Originally Posted by djmgolf2000
Also, I had a 2002 MDX with 40000 miles on it and it never had this problem. And I currently have a 2004 MDX with about 5000 miles on it and it doesn't have this problem either.
In my TL (600 miles), the leather in the bottom of the driver's seat stretches and shrinks. Especially in these hot summer temps.

It can have an indent when I get out but is almost gone the next time I get in. It really hasn't been a problem. I'm 6'2" and 180 so I'm not a light-weight. I just write it off as something leather does.

Someone with more experience than I has said that our leather needs a good treatment right away. I used Zaino "Leather in a Bottle". It softened the leather and made it more pliable. It was thirsty.

XP
Old 06-30-2004, 01:10 AM
Racer

damn i better get some zaino and lexol... im 5'11" and 145 and i have rolling hills on my seat... however my dad has driven it 3 times and weighs 270 pounds so maybe thats where the hills came from.

Does the zaino leather cleaner come with some oils that retain the leather smell? i was using the lexol cleaner and conditioner on my dad's car, and the conditioner smell almost made me nauscious...
Old 06-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, the worst thing about the TL seats isn't the leather wrinkle issue, it's the fuzz that comes out of the holes. That really bothers me more than the stretching. I'm either shaving the fuzz or picking out the threads from the holes everytime I drive the car...it's really annnoying.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Someone commented about a big butt spreading out the weight - maybe there is something to that. Cause everytime I kneel on my passenger seat (to fix my headliner) I get a huge butt - er, knee print. Since maybe it is a concentrated area it makes it worse. So maybe it is all the people with NO ass, that are having the problem? DR. BJ - what do you think?
I TOTALLY agree with the other post where the dude said - it is LEATHER, very decent leather - this is what leather does - it stretches, it wrinkles, it gets better with age. Besides, what is your head doing between your legs while you are driving lookin at your seat?

Be careful getting the replacements - what they are giving you is another COVER. Not a new seat. I spoke to the dealer and saw the "replacement" seats. No thanks. They even admited they are coming out of a cellophane bag all wrinkled and a disaster. Then you gotta worry about color match etc.

No thanks -
Old 06-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Well just got back from my dealer. They are going to order a new seat cover for my car.
I agree there will be butt prints but what I have isn't a butt print. They are also ordering me a new rear deck. This is because the rear deck is warped. See the thread below for pictures.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...8&page=2&pp=25
Old 06-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Instructor

I got two cushions replaced, see my pics and see the text below them.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:03 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neogeek
damn i better get some zaino and lexol... im 5'11" and 145 and i have rolling hills on my seat... however my dad has driven it 3 times and weighs 270 pounds so maybe thats where the hills came from.

Does the zaino leather cleaner come with some oils that retain the leather smell? i was using the lexol cleaner and conditioner on my dad's car, and the conditioner smell almost made me nauscious...
Yes! The Zaino leather conditioner smells exactly like leather .
Old 06-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Neogeek

The Zaino is a leather conditioner, not so much a cleaner. I would use a woolite solution or saddle soap to clean if I needed it.

The best part of the Zaino is the smell. It smells like walking into a saddle maker's shop. Mmmmm! Everyone who gets in the car comments on the smell.

XP
Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boltjames
You are incorrect. At 5'7 and 169 pounds you're not clinically 'obese' but you are fat.

A 5'7 male's optimum weight is 145 pounds. If you weighed as much, you'd have no buttprints and/or wrinkling as found in my vehicle.

The Atkins® diet is a terrific way to shed your chub and save your seats without the need for Lexol®. Once the weight is off, you'll also feel less grumpy and less prone to complain about the best car on the road for under $40,000.

BJ
blasphamy! That old atkins fart didnt invent the low carb, high protein diet! Bodybuilders have been on that diet before that atkins faggot was born (which is probably a million years ago. He has more wrinkles than my balls)! he should be shot if he was still alive. Kinda off topic, but damn I hate the diet's misnomer.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Which one do you prefer for your leather? Zaino products or lexol products guys? Thanks,
Old 06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by foot3ch
Which one do you prefer for your leather? Zaino products or lexol products guys? Thanks,
I use the Lexol. First time user, first time nice leather tho too.
I think the Lexol smells great in the car. Can't speak for Zaino.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
We went all around the usual products at the S2000 site, www.S2KI.com

Then a guy from the Leather Insitute popped in, and offered a lot of knowledge about leather and its treatment. He recommended a kit from Townsend Leather, which does all sort of marine, airline, and auto custom leather work. Stuff is terrific, and includes a cleaner. The site has lots of info, such as what does anyline leather mean? Do you know? I do, 'cause I became edumacated there. Check it out.

I tend to hire experts in their field, not people who dabble in things. Sal Zaino may know paint, but he is not a leather guy. So if it leather I want to preserve, I go to leather experts. Same reasoning as not letting a urologist do brain surgery.

All I can say is the S2000 Recaro-sourced seats are amazing leather (mine are red and black) and cost a fortune (I have McGard seat bolt locks!). After 6 months of using the Townsend Leather products, my seats look and smell brand new. And their initials are TL - it must be fate.

http://www.townsendleather.com/

P.S. I am not associated in any way - I am a tribologist, EE, and IT Director - so if you have an oil or electrical question, i'll be glad to weigh in.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLGator
I know BJ is just playing around, but I can't resist. The standardized charts for height and weight are not sufficient to determine if a person is "overweight" in the "fat" sense. This guy might be cut like a prizefighter. To really do an accurate assessment, you also need body fat percentage. Now, if the guy has a beer belly the size of a beach ball, then you can do the body fat assessment from across the room. If not, there are other techniques.

Still, the implication BJ is making is correct. A lot of Americans don't think they are overweight when in fact they are. Obesity is rampant in this country, and starting to get worse in other Westernized nations, too. Fortunately, owning a TL can help. Next time you're hungry for a snack you know you shouldn't have, just take a drive in your glorious TL instead. It will satisfy like a Snicker's without the calories.

Oh, and no eating in that nice clean car, either!
bj is an underdefined, non-vascular slinky. my neck is larger than his thigh. he gets no ass.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Norse396
I'm 275lbs and have yet to have butt prints or wrinkle problems with my seat.
Big Guy, You'll probably die from a heart attack before you see any problems
Old 07-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Someone commented about a big butt spreading out the weight - maybe there is something to that. Cause everytime I kneel on my passenger seat (to fix my headliner) I get a huge butt - er, knee print. Since maybe it is a concentrated area it makes it worse. So maybe it is all the people with NO ass, that are having the problem? DR. BJ - what do you think?
I TOTALLY agree with the other post where the dude said - it is LEATHER, very decent leather - this is what leather does - it stretches, it wrinkles, it gets better with age. Besides, what is your head doing between your legs while you are driving lookin at your seat?

Be careful getting the replacements - what they are giving you is another COVER. Not a new seat. I spoke to the dealer and saw the "replacement" seats. No thanks. They even admited they are coming out of a cellophane bag all wrinkled and a disaster. Then you gotta worry about color match etc.

No thanks -
I realize that leather is leather BUT if you could see how sad my rear seats look after taking my son and his friend on a 4-day 1500 mile trip. These two kids only weigh about 130 lbs each. The leather on my rear seats has totally stretched out...and baggy looking. Dealer took one look and has ordered new 'skins'. They have yet to arrive though.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Cesci
I realize that leather is leather BUT if you could see how sad my rear seats look after taking my son and his friend on a 4-day 1500 mile trip. These two kids only weigh about 130 lbs each. The leather on my rear seats has totally stretched out...and baggy looking. Dealer took one look and has ordered new 'skins'. They have yet to arrive though.
is it one big skin or separate pieces?
Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
Big Guy, You'll probably die from a heart attack before you see any problems
WTF
Old 07-03-2004, 08:43 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
The Zaino is a leather conditioner, not so much a cleaner. I would use a woolite solution or saddle soap to clean if I needed it.

The best part of the Zaino is the smell. It smells like walking into a saddle maker's shop. Mmmmm! Everyone who gets in the car comments on the smell.

XP
XP, Zaino also have a leather cleaner a seperate product.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice to know.

Originally Posted by joganjani
XP, Zaino also have a leather cleaner a seperate product.
Thanks, joganjani. That didn't come in my kit so I haven't tried it yet. :'(

Regards,
XP
Old 07-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

Coach Leather Moisturizer for the TL 2004 seats

Has anybody ever tried Coach Leather Moisturizer to condition the TL leather seats? Somebody suggested that since Coach makes the best leather, their moisturizer must be the best.

I have driven 1985 miles in 4 weeks 5 days. Love the car in everyway!!!!!!!

Black with Quartz interior, w/o navigation. Couldn't afford to spend another $2000.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:49 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
blasphamy! That old atkins fart didnt invent the low carb, high protein diet! Bodybuilders have been on that diet before that atkins faggot was born (which is probably a million years ago. He has more wrinkles than my balls)! he should be shot if he was still alive. Kinda off topic, but damn I hate the diet's misnomer.
Kinda off topic, but am I the only one seeing a homosexual subtext in the above message.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:55 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by abtl

Has anybody ever tried Coach Leather Moisturizer to condition the TL leather seats? Somebody suggested that since Coach makes the best leather, their moisturizer must be the best.

Black with Quartz interior, w/o navigation. Couldn't afford to spend another $2000.
Err, Coach does not make leather. They, indeed do make fine leather goods/products.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry, that this what I meant... leather goods... my bad... Thanks Eduardo. What is the best leather conditionar for the seats and how often should we apply one?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned

Anyone have a recomendation to get my leather to look like new?

I did lexoyl (sp?) the second week, and each month after.

This photo is after only 4K miles and dealer calls it "Normal" along with the regional?

Old 07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Fuzz in Holes??

I hear people talking about other leather problems, but does anyone else have problems or even care about the fuzz that comes out of the holes in the leather. This drives me nuts, and although I don't really get too concerned about lines and wrinkles...it just looks like real leather to me...the fuzz really looks bad.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Tread

This photo is after only 4K miles and dealer calls it "Normal" along with the regional?
I have 5700 miles, and my driver's seat is not that bad. I have less than half of the wrinkles you show on your seat.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow. The leather in that pic looks three years old. I can't believe the Regional told you that was normal.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:14 PM
acurazine sucks

I am 4' 11" and weigh 395 pounds. I have blond hair, blue eyes and go by the nickname "Mama Cass." I have no butt prints in my seat, but I had to remove the center console and the inside door handles. I also had extra stiff springs and a 1" lift kit installed on the driver's side. I get 14 MPG on the highway and you WOULD NOT BELIEVE THE SQUEAKING NOISES COMING FROM EVERYWHERE!!!!!

You guys are mad! :-)
Old 07-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Banned

Yep, normal is what they said.

I am average weight for my height (which is average also, I am just an average person).

The MB dealer laughed when they came over to check out my car, and it had half the wrinkles then, when I was picking up a friend.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Racer

Tread - shit bro, that's really bad. my dealer replaced better looking leather than that.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My seats also look like those posted above. Ya open the door to show off the car, nice dash, nice doors, nice carpet, and a 25 year old looking seat.. it's embarrassing. At least it doesn't rattle sitting still. Oh yeah it does.. rear dash from the sub woofer.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow.After seeing this, I am glad I got parchment interior.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Mine looks pretty bad. See below:
http://acura-tl.hytekhosting.com/upl...f87203a8-1.JPG

Old 07-08-2004, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edmiller9999
I am 4' 11" and weigh 395 pounds. I have blond hair, blue eyes and go by the nickname "Mama Cass." I have no butt prints in my seat, but I had to remove the center console and the inside door handles.
So, are you single?
Old 07-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by abtl

Faulty premise, faulty conclusion. Most of the world's premium automobiles have used Connolly leather, but try Connolly Hide Food some day - it is like using a hairball or something from a whale's intestine.

And as someone corroborated, the leather seats in airplanes and custom yachts cost mega-bux - and most are treated with products from Townsend, which is what i recommend.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
is it one big skin or separate pieces?
Still waiting for the dealer to call. They're now almost 3 weeks late. Guess I'll be calling.

Quick Reply: Leather Seats