Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Noise- Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking Noise- Question

My first apparent problem, had to ask everyone's opinion. Last night when I got out of the car I noticed some type of knocking noise below the car. It’s not to loud and must really listen closely to hear it. It sounded as if exhaust had come loose. Scratching my head in wonder, I attempted to locate where the sound was coming from. I came to the conclusion that the sound is coming from directly behind the rear driver side wheel. I attempted to locate the knocking source with no luck. In a fit, I went in and slept it off. This morning I waited for the same noise but it seems to have disappeared. But I spoke to soon after arriving at work some time later the noise seems to have come back. I started asking myself whether this was associated with some type of sensor. I NEED ADVICE FROM THE EXPERTS. As everyone also knows, I am very generous with giving points. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Could be a number of things, do you have any vibration? If so, torque your lug nuts, the wheel could be loose. When does the noice occur, while in motion or during braking, while you're turning? Usually knocking from the rear can be loose exhaust, sway bar bushing gone (which is most likely not the case as your car is very new), possibly the suspension. Regardless, I'd take it to the dealer pronto. Let us know how it turns out

Another thing that came to mind, I believe the ABS sensor does a self check and it sounds like a knocking noise I believe some have noted it, this is apparently normal.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

cTLgo,
I could always depend on your immediate response, You brought a few things to mind. Let me elaborate. First, the noise only occurs when I am stopped and does not occur all the time. When trying to find the source I held the exhaust and that didn't seem to be the problem at all. I also got in the car and kept the door open while I hit the gas to see if it was associated with the engine. That's a negative. Can anyone give me a little more detail on the ABS sensor and how long the check typically lasts? Any other thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=ABS+noise
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=ABS+noise

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85426
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83071
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88521

Those are some threads esp these 3 ^^^ that talk about a clunk/knock noise. Check the 3G Garage too!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:28 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

I still don't think we are talking about the same noise. This noise could only be heard from the rear of the car from the outside. It's so quite that you won't be able to hear it if you are in front of the car. To be honest it is only noticable if you put you head by the rear driver side wheel. I think the above threads are explaining a different sound.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
There have been some threads here that reported a loose heat shield was causing a rattle, but I don't know if you could call it a knocking sound.

The ABS sensor check only occurs each time you start the car. This is from a thread in the 3G Garage:
“It is the ABS brake system doing a self-check. It occurs like a thump which can be felt through the pedal/steering wheel at about 10-15 MPH. It almost feels like something in the transmission.”

Is it a steady knocking sound or random. Sometimes the exhaust cooling will make clunking/knocking noises.

Good work, CTLogo, I had all those links here ready to post when I looked back and saw you had already done it, so I’ll just put in what I already had up to that point.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

It seems to be a steady knocking noise. ABS check has been crossed off as being a possiblity. Can you expain this exhaust cooling system stated above. Where is the heat sheild located?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

i had a knocking noise on my 3 series (e36) coming from the wheel well one time and it ended up being a broken rear shock mount. it ended up busting up the shock mount pretty bad. stupid 10 dollar part cost be a fortune to fix cause i didn't know that was a common problem. so i would take it into the dealer as soon as possiible and have them look at it. small thing can lead to something big later. even if its under warranty you don't want to have to deal with the hassle.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
It seems to be a steady knocking noise. ABS check has been crossed off as being a possiblity. Can you expain this exhaust cooling system stated above. Where is the heat sheild located?
Hey guys, he can only hear it when he is outside the car and it is stopped, so it has nothing to do with any suspension parts, etc.

It is not an exhaust cooling system, it is the noise made from the contracting or expanding of metals as the engine and exhaust cool down.

Heat shield info https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=heat+shield
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Ron,
Good point, From reading the other thread, it doesn't seem to be the heat sheild either. Can we conclude that this may be caused by the expanding metals from the exhaust? I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out as well.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Ron,
Good point, From reading the other thread, it doesn't seem to be the heat sheild either. Can we conclude that this may be caused by the expanding metals from the exhaust? I will take it to the dealer and have them check it out as well.
It could be caused by expanding/contracting metals, but of course it is hard to diagnose over the net, so taking it to the dealer is your best course of action. Be sure the car is thoroughly warmed up when you get to the dealer, so if this is what is happening it will be easier to diagnose.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

RON,
I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Racer

J RIDE 81, you ever find out what was causing this problem?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Where is the fuel pump in our cars? If it is located in the tank that may be a possiblility??
Old 01-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnstl
Where is the fuel pump in our cars? If it is located in the tank that may be a possiblility??
The fuel pump is in the tank. This is a good possibility if he can pinpoint the noise to that area.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:16 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
The fuel pump is in the tank. This is a good possibility if he can pinpoint the noise to that area.
It's the sub-woofer thumping.....

Just kidding.

While reading through this thread my first thought would be either the fuel pump or fuel/fuel vapor return system. I have witnessed several fuel pumps that whine consistently while others will make a thump, tick etc. sound as they "surge" to maintain proper fuel rail pressures. My TL has been in storage now for the last 2.5 months so I can't say that I have noticed.....
Old 01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

My TL has also been parked for 3 months now. I'm taking it out next Friday and if the noise continues I'll make an appointment with the dealer. The noise is not always there, keep that in mind. It's hard to hear unless your outside towards the rear of the car. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Racer

I'm a little confused as to why you put your car in storage? How do you drive if you put your car in storage???
J RIDE 81, I too seem to have a simlar issue which I just noticed 2 days ago. I already have an appointment with the dealer on Monday to have it looked at.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Maybe... because of "winter".

Some ppl do not drive their preferable vehcile in the snowy winter or they have their alternative one to drive during this time.

Anyway, J RIDE 81, please keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ensley696
I'm a little confused as to why you put your car in storage? How do you drive if you put your car in storage???
J RIDE 81, I too seem to have a simlar issue which I just noticed 2 days ago. I already have an appointment with the dealer on Monday to have it looked at.
Why or why not an individual decides to store/park a vehicle has been brought up here before. It's not worth another thread.

"Why you put your car in storage? How do you drive if you put your car in storage???"

Besides being out of country/state lately, their is more than one vehicle in my garage/driveway......

Cheers
Old 01-29-2005, 12:11 AM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

hey guys, i dont know if im talkin about the same noise..my buddy has a 03 TL he heard a knocking/taping noises under the car...we looked under the car on a lift...it was coming from a black box on the drivers side..it's suposidly normal according to acura, i noticed this on my brothers 04accord cpe 6mt as well, it comes n goes , it's kinda a 'putt putt' noise, it's absalutly normal..although i have to say never heard it from my TL, but i never looked for it
Old 01-29-2005, 01:21 AM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by 04AcuraTL
hey guys, i dont know if im talkin about the same noise..my buddy has a 03 TL he heard a knocking/taping noises under the car...we looked under the car on a lift...it was coming from a black box on the drivers side..it's suposidly normal according to acura, i noticed this on my brothers 04accord cpe 6mt as well, it comes n goes , it's kinda a 'putt putt' noise, it's absalutly normal..although i have to say never heard it from my TL, but i never looked for it
what? black box? pictures please.... or at least additional details
Old 01-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Actually, the state of IL forced me not to drive my TL for 3 months, it's been a very hard 3 months and it's over on the 4th. Anyways gives you more time to appreciate what you have.

Ensley696,

Let us know what they say. I'm very interested in knowing if this is a normal issue or repairable?

04AcuraTL,

Please post pics if you have them, I wondering if it may be the same noise that I hear. Was it coming from the rear of the car. How noticable was the noise?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:54 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I've heard that same thumping sound with my car - and it can only be heard when you're standing in the back area (by the trunk). No clue what it is.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you keep on knocking but you can't come in

Maybe the thumping sound in the trunk is that body you put in there from the other day ..LOL
Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Racer

Ok, I understand the storage thing now. Keep in mind, a harsh winter in Florida is 20 degrees, a heat wave in some parts, *L*.

J RIDE 81, I brought my car in this morning, just waiting for the dealer to call me. The sound acts the same way you described, not there when you start up in the morning, there after you arrive at your destination. My sound is almost like a ticking noise, similar to the way the valves sound in the motor, just a bit louder than normal. The noise can be heard on my passenger side wheel well and just about anywhere in the garage. Of course I notice the difference sound because the motor idles very quiet, so any unusual sounds are noticed. I'll post the dealers find as soon as I hear from them. Hopefully its nothing serious, but thankfully the car is under warranty.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

KEEP US POSTED, I'M REALLY INTERESTED AS TO WHAT THEY SAY!!!! <-- Sorry for the caps, just excited!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Ensley696,
Have you heard anything yet?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Racer

No solution yet. They called yesterday to tell me that they have replicated the sound. Happens once the engine gets warmed up, however they have not isolated it yet. He said he did not have any 6 SPS on the lot to tell if its a normal sound from a 6 SP. I told him that it was not there until last Wed, so it didn't seem normal. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything today.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
05 WDP TL

hmm....i got a 05 wdp tl and after the car has been parked overnight or for some time like couple of hours and i just let the car roll from P to D....i dont push on the gas and i can hear this bump/thump noise coming from the bottom front of the car....not sure what it is...

ive looked on other threads and some people said the brakes have to engage or some other type of sensors?

any ideas guys??

i emailed my sales guy and i told i doubt i can replicate the sound if i bring it in...always happen....never happens when u take it in for a check up and when you leave or whatever it starts again...but anyways...he said to just bring it in and see what they say...

thanks in advance!!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

No solution yet. They called yesterday to tell me that they have replicated the sound. Happens once the engine gets warmed up, however they have not isolated it yet. He said he did not have any 6 SPS on the lot to tell if its a normal sound from a 6 SP. I told him that it was not there until last Wed, so it didn't seem normal. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything today.

Thanks again!!! I can't wait to hear what they tell you is the actual result of the sound!!! Keep in mind i don't have a 6sp
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Racer

madehtsobi, I believe the sound you are hearing is the Antilock brakes kicking in or engaging. I hear that too when I start rolling, about 10 mph.

J RIDE 81, the dealer just called. They are going to try replacing the water pump pulley as they believe it is a bit loose than normal. He will have to order the part and it won't arrive until tomorrow. I guess they are as stumped as me. BTW, he did say the sound does go and come back, indicating that it is not a normal sound. I'll post more as I get more info.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Wow that sucks, sounds like I definitelytly have a problem then huh
Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Wow that sucks, sounds like I definitely have a problem then huh
Old 02-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Racer

Well, they are not sure just yet. I think its a shot in the dark really, but if it works, its all good. At least you can give your dealer a little more information so they can fix right away. I'll let you know if I hear anything today.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Very helpful, Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Mine does the same as yours but is a 5AT. You don't hear it at first but after you've been driving for a while, you can hear it when it's idling (and you happen to be outside of the car).
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

^--- Hmmm, seems like we have another winner. Lore, is your knocking only towards the rear of the car?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Racer

Ok, the verdict. My dealer replaced the Water PUmp, Idler Timing B Pulley, and replaced the coolant of course since the water pump was replaced. No more noise. After driving it back to work about 10 min ago, the noise was gone. Hopefully this is the same problem both of you describe, not to say thats good, but it saves the dealer from having to trouble shoot for a day or so. Good luck and let me know if your problem ends up being different
Old 02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

^--- Hmmm, seems like we have another winner. Lore, is your knocking only towards the rear of the car?
Yes, it is only towards the rear of my car. I thought it was my stereo but my music wasn't even on.

I don't like how this sounds... you got the water pump, pulley, etc, all replaced? That's a LOT of stuff to replace on a brand new car. I'll need to pay attention to it when I drive it again. I've been traveling so I've been without my baby.

Quick Reply: Knocking Noise- Question