Sponsored by:

Just drove the Type S!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
csk
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just drove the Type S!

Back in August I visited my local Acura dealer to try the RDX when it first got here. I told the salesman back then to call me as soon as they got the Type S, I'd been following that long 2007 thread since July. Got the call today that they got one as a fluke today. I guess it was ordered for an Acura employee but they ended up taking the regular one instead. Stopped by tonight to try it out. It was Moroccan Red Pearl with Taupe inside and an auto. I'm not sure who would order that color combo. I'm more of a black/black kind of guy. It's definitely more aggressive looking. I think I liked the back of the car the most. Started it up (it sounds awesome!) and did a quick 3 point turn to get it out of the lot. At this point I got to see the rear view camera which was nice but of course not very necessary in a sedan.

Took it for a 10 minute drive on my usual test drive route in the area. There was still a good amount of cars on the road so I definitely couldn't experience as much as I would of liked. I was at pole position at one stop light and floored it after I got to about 5 mph or so. That's when I felt some of the dreaded tourqe steer that's been the big controversy in the forums over the last few months. It wasn't terrible but I could definitely feel the wheel pulling side to side. If this car had SH awd I would buy it in a second! I do not currently own a TL so I wouldn't be the best judge on how it compares to the '06. I did try out the 6mt last summer and noticed it more in the Type S. I'm not sure if the auto has the lsd the 6mt does. That said, the car is pretty quick. My point of view has been pretty skewed lately though since I've driven my friend's new 997 Turbo a couple times! I felt that the Type S felt better in turns than the '06. Also, the feedback through the steering wheel was much better. I've got a Prelude Type SH and in many "upscale" cars I kind of feel like the steering is a little too isolated. Why they couldn't put ATTS on the Type S to help fight some of the tourqe steer is beyond me but hey that's a whole other topic. Next, I got to merge it on a highway, of course floored the whole way down the on ramp. This thing sounds awesome at full throttle! It's smooth and quiet on the highway just like you'd expect from an Acura. If you're driving it more pedestrian like it's pretty hard to feel too much of a difference but hey why would you want to buy one anyway if that's the way you always drive?!?!

Took it back to the dealer and learned that they would have one that would appeal more to me, black/black and mt, in a couple weeks. Would I put a deposit on it right now? Too soon to tell, I'd really have to try the 6mt first. There's also several interesting cars coming out this Spring. Also, I'm not sure I'll like not being able to get just black leather without the silver. That's the only way it comes with a black interior when I looked at the brochure. BTW, the brochure has some great pics of a black Type S. Of course, most of the pics have a good amount of photoshop editing. Overall, I'd have to say I enjoyed the car but I'm not sure I'd want to buy it right away and pay sticker. If it had the awd I wouldn't mind spending 40. I'm saying 40 because that's how much it's going to cost to get the 18 inch wheels and ditch the original ones...... We all know how much everyone loves those!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Great! Thanks for the review. No pics though? I need to take it for a test drive as well.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too expensive for my pay grade.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the write up...I need to drive one now!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. Sounds like a nice ride so far except for the expected torque steer.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:01 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JetJock
Too expensive for my pay grade.
exactly...

I'm still going to go drive one though.....
Old 10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are probably going to test drive one just for kicks. The minican is going to be replaced by either and RDX or a 6 Speed TL-S come spring, RDX will probably win over because of the SH-AWD, but we still get to test drive both(so far only the RDX)

Mike