Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just changed the Brembo Pads on my 04TL MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just changed the Brembo Pads on my 04TL MT

I just changed the pads without changing or turning the rotors. Rotors measured 0.93" not including the lip. These were the original Brembo pads from 40k ago when the car was new. They were getting really low. I didn't have any problem with vibration, warping, etc.

I noticed that the Brembo pads caused the rotors to have a lip on the outer edge of the rotor. (I've read that others have also noticed this.) I replaced the Brembo pads with Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads to cut down on dust..

These new pads are slightly larger and actually are wearing on the lip that the brembo pads left behind.

I drove around the block a few times and everything felt just fine car stops no problem, but the bedding process will probably just take a bit longer because I noticed that the only thing wearing is outer lip of the rotor that the brembo pads left behind.

I used regular Silicone brake grease on the pads instead of the MolyKote M77 grease.. Hope that isn't a problem.

Anyone think I'll have any problems?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I would think that that outer lip would cause some uneven wear to the pad after some time and maybe affect braking. As far as the pad being larger, I'm really don't know if that is good or bad. You said you used silicon grease, I'm not sure that will keep some squeeking away as the acura service manual says to use brembo brake grease on the shims and other stuff.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I have used other grease with no problems- the main thing is to clean and then grease.
Make sure its hi temp stuff

Ruffles have ridges- Rotors should NOT!!!!

Not only are you braking with about 10 % effectivness now- there will be a cut into the pads- which are normally softer material than the metal rotors-
thats not good either
What you have are pads that fit several different different cars and happen to be full width on the TL rotor

Most pads have a small edge inner and outer that doesnt make pad contact
The result is that edge, and it needs to be removed at pad change time- the whole surface needs to be perfectly flat for max braking
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
People replace pads without touching the rotors all the time. You may get a slight vibration, but the new pads will quickly conform to the rotors. Just be sure to bed them properly. And you are not braking with 10% effectiveness now.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Originally Posted by zootjeff
I just changed the pads without changing or turning the rotors. Rotors measured 0.93" not including the lip. These were the original Brembo pads from 40k ago when the car was new. They were getting really low. I didn't have any problem with vibration, warping, etc.

I noticed that the Brembo pads caused the rotors to have a lip on the outer edge of the rotor. (I've read that others have also noticed this.) I replaced the Brembo pads with Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads to cut down on dust..

These new pads are slightly larger and actually are wearing on the lip that the brembo pads left behind.

I drove around the block a few times and everything felt just fine car stops no problem, but the bedding process will probably just take a bit longer because I noticed that the only thing wearing is outer lip of the rotor that the brembo pads left behind.

I used regular Silicone brake grease on the pads instead of the MolyKote M77 grease.. Hope that isn't a problem.

Anyone think I'll have any problems?
No, you'll be OK. As others have said, it'll take some time to have the ridge cut into the softer pad material. My 05 6MT also has the ridge the OEM Brembo pads are fairly abrassive compared to the other pads. Let us know how you like the Axxis pads, my front pads are down to ~4mm so I'll be replacing them soon.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i always replace pads without resurfacing the rotors, but the rotors must be within spec, and without knowing how big that lip is, i would be alittle worried about that....
Old 07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

While I have also replaced many brake pads in the years without surfacing the rotors- or just cuting the edge off with a grinder wheel,,,, for the TL with Brembo brkaes- I would take the time to have them surfaced- I want toal flat 100 percent effective brake pads.
For the small amount of labor to remove and have machined- it pays you back in smoothness in the wheel and the pedal.
Every ridge on the rotor face- high spot- thats all thats contact in during braking now!!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
No, you'll be OK. As others have said, it'll take some time to have the ridge cut into the softer pad material. My 05 6MT also has the ridge the OEM Brembo pads are fairly abrassive compared to the other pads. Let us know how you like the Axxis pads, my front pads are down to ~4mm so I'll be replacing them soon.
I've been driving my car for a week now with the Axxis pads and the Un-turned Brembo Caliper ground rotors. No problems. Car is quiet, stops great, and no dust.

I'll not wash my car for a few weeks and I'll see if there is still no dust.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Team Owner

dust is a byproduct of heat caused by the braking friction action
No Dust also means non effective braking!!!!
Wax the rims to cut down on dust retention
Old 07-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
dust is a byproduct of heat caused by the braking friction action
No Dust also means non effective braking!!!!
Wax the rims to cut down on dust retention

I thought that the stock brembos were Semi-Metalic, thus produced more dark dust as well as ate away the rotors faster.

The pads I put on are Ceramic. Everything I've read is that they still produce dust, but it isn't as visible and the particles are of different properties so they don't stick to your wheels as much. Also, the metal from your rotors are not combining with the dust as much and sticking to your brake system.

There is a lot of mis-information out there. So far I'm really happy with my pads. I can't notice the performance difference between my stock Brembo pads vs these Axxis Deluxe Ceramic Pads..

Here are some articles that all seem to say the same thing about Ceramic vs Semi-metalic and Organic.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=88
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov2002/mech.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/ic10422.htm
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you know what, on my S14 i have the skyline 4 piston calipers and there is also a ridge there, buts but the way those calipers work?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put Hawk Ceramics in on Saturday; love 'em! Though I have a squeak now when stoping in reverse [pad movement obviously; didn't grease 'er up enough ]
Old 08-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Washed my car today after a ~month of driving. There was just some fine clear dust on the front and it basically just washed away. Much better then the caked on dust that I had to take a brush to in order to remove it. I don't know why I didn't replace my pads sooner.

For me, I'm an average guy who likes a nice car and isn't really picky about max performance. Honestly, I can't tell the diff between the stock semi-metallic Brembo pads vs these Axis Deluxe Ceramic. People say they don't work as well, but I can't tell..

I wish I did this a long time ago cause I would spend 5-10 minutes with three brushes cleaning the front A-Spec wheels. Now they look spotless in less then a minute with one brush.

-Jeff
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by fleshy
I put Hawk Ceramics in on Saturday; love 'em! Though I have a squeak now when stoping in reverse [pad movement obviously; didn't grease 'er up enough ]
Has it gone away?