3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What would you rather have based on value & performance
ASPEC suspension - $600+install - 1/2" drop (although Acura said 1") - good handling - subtle to not noticeable drop - comes with shocks but double in price
34.62%
Comptech springs - $250+install - 1" drop - good handling - a more aggressive stance - no camber kit needed
37.18%
Eibach - $250+intall - 1.5" drop - race handling - rougher ride - car will look definitely lowered - camber kit needed
7.69%
STOCK all the way
20.51%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Its just a 1" drop!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its just a 1" drop!!!!

Can you really notice a 1/2" drop. a car can vary 1/2" depending on the grade of the ground.

I have comptech's, and am just amazed at how people in some of these threads actually think that a 1" drop is somehow inconsistent with what should be done to a car of the TL's caliber.

Looking for thoughts from the gallery.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think stock wise, its pretty low. Plus i have OEM Kit so it makes it low already. But i'm considering should i purchase the A Spec Suspension (1/2" drop) for a whooping expensive price... It looks good stock, but i sort of want it to be a bit tad lower. Currently my lip does not scraping over the cement blocks in stalls, but the lower air dam does scrape when i drive over the cement block
Old 05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I thought the Eibachs gave a 1" drop just like the Comptechs.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC5_Integra
I think stock wise, its pretty low. Plus i have OEM Kit so it makes it low already. But i'm considering should i purchase the A Spec Suspension (1/2" drop) for a whooping expensive price... It looks good stock, but i sort of want it to be a bit tad lower. Currently my lip does not scraping over the cement blocks in stalls, but the lower air dam does scrape when i drive over the cement block
I also have an OEM kit... 1/2" isn't noticeable at all. for the money... I'd say use it someplace else.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by automata
I thought the Eibachs gave a 1" drop just like the Comptechs.
From my experience with people who have them.... it drops lower then 1" and a camber is needed.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Racer

I think the car is agressive enough looking and am concerned more about the handling. I am looking at getting the A-Spec suspension kit when I get new wheels but I am not sure if I will notice a difference. I'm sure this is one but will I ever notice it.

This would seem to be one of those 1/2 dozen of one or 6 of another issues, people will always have different opinions and some will not understand why everyone doesn't agree with them. I look forward to some interesting reading.

I wish the you could get the handling without the drop, but I do have 2 bad knees (and love driving a car) so every inch matters to me.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
what if we get 2 people, 1 person with A-spec, 1 person with Comptech, to take 2 pictures, 1 a side picture of the car, the other a ruler or tape measure showing the gap from fender to tire...

(comptech person would need bodykit for proper comparison)
Old 05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

Criss,

I do agree, the car looks aggressive enough in stock form... the 17's fill the wheel nicely, but once the lower profile tires are mounted you will notice a bigger difference. When I put on my 18's, the wheel gap seemed huge b/c of the lower profile tires...

Personally, I test drove an ASPEC at a local dealership in Lynnwood, WA, wanting to see if there was great difference. NOPE... a big difference over a bone stock TL, but minimal if any difference with mine on 18's. At the time, I asked if it was a 1" drop thinking 'the car looks stock height', b/c that is what I thought ASPECs were... the salesguy said it was less than 1" at most 1/2" and they were the one's who actually recommended that I get the Comptech's for a subtle drop will be noticeable, but not slammed to ruin the look or feel of the car. and handling will be improved.

thats my experience.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've made a lot of comments on the subject in other threads. Right or wrong answers to this question must be defined individually. Each of these options can be perfect, depending on what you are looking for.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:03 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aegir
I've made a lot of comments on the subject in other threads. Right or wrong answers to this question must be defined individually. Each of these options can be perfect, depending on what you are looking for.

If you are going to lower the car do it right!! I would go with 1 1/2 inch all the way. 1/2 or 1inch you will not even notice it lowered. Believe me...I lowered my previous car Integra Type R to only 1 inch b/c everyone told me to. I notice only a slight difference in cornering and later could not stand the looks of the big gap btw my rims and wheel well. Later I sold the springs and bought HR racing springs that lowered my car 2inchs and right away I notice a huge difference in cornering and at the same time the gap is gone and my car looks great. So I would definately go for more than 1.5inch drop.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Originally Posted by ed99
If you are going to lower the car do it right!! I would go with 1 1/2 inch all the way. 1/2 or 1inch you will not even notice it lowered. Believe me...I lowered my previous car Integra Type R to only 1 inch b/c everyone told me to. I notice only a slight difference in cornering and later could not stand the looks of the big gap btw my rims and wheel well. Later I sold the springs and bought HR racing springs that lowered my car 2inchs and right away I notice a huge difference in cornering and at the same time the gap is gone and my car looks great. So I would definately go for more than 1.5inch drop.

I voted for the acura a-specs. You are right the 1/2" to 1" drop, visibly, will not be very noticable and there will still be a wheel gap. But remember when I buy the a-spec suspension I will also be getting the 18" wheels thus filling that gap nicely.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Eibach's are too low for me. Almost ricey. Car is "slammed".

Comptech's make the car look really good but without the appropriate shocks, then why?

A-Spec also looks really good and includes the appropriate shocks (this got my vote).

Stock is best for most people since most don't want the harsher ride.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really depends on the car. L-tuned shocks dropped my GS300 almost 1" and it looked just right because there is so much wheel gap in the stock version. The TL already has minimal wheel gap compared to most other cars, so a 1" drop could make it look Ricey.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:23 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Yea, SLAMMIN A CAR MAKES IT COOL!!! ......NOT! Put the A-spec on for the performance aspects. If the car is dropped "a little", that's OK. No point in trying to slamm such a nice car to the ground. And another thing WTF is sup with these guys laying down in their car? IT LOOKS STUPID, STUPID, STUPID (And Childish). VERY un-cool (contrary to thier thoughts).
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Wrong!

Originally Posted by Aspector Gadget
I voted for the acura a-specs. You are right the 1/2" to 1" drop, visibly, will not be very noticable and there will still be a wheel gap. But remember when I buy the a-spec suspension I will also be getting the 18" wheels thus filling that gap nicely.
The wheels get bigger but the tires get smaller = no difference in gap from the 17's (unless you use non-recommended 18-inch tire fittings).
Old 05-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aspector Gadget
Actually, getting the 18's will make the gap look bigger. The overall diameter will be the same, since you are going +1 with 40 series tires, but the lower profile tire wall will make the gap look bigger.

With the stock 17's and 45 series tires, the gap looks smaller because the tire looks fatter.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Instructor

No actually I've seen the car with a-spec and 18 inch tires (235-40-18) and it does look lower than stock. I saw it side by side at a dealer. You're right in saying that the overall diameter remains the same (the 18 inch setup is about .05 inches wider)

My planned setup is the a-spec with 245-40-18 tires, which are marginally taller at the sidewall. This looks perfect to me. About 2 "fingers" of space above each tire.

Either way, just like the poll shows, the A-spec and Comptech choices both have their merits. I was really close to buying the comptech springs before I finally went with the A-specs. It's really just a decision of whether you want to spend the extra cash or not.

I had experience with a 98 accord (my last car) that was lowered on Eibach prokit springs. I drove that for about two years, and eventually put in tokico blue shocks. The difference in ride and handling was very noticeable after the shocks, so that's why I wanted to drop the extra cash for shocks again. Comptech users will probably get their own shocks (tokico, konis, bilsteins etc.) when they become available for the TL. Once that happens, the comptech + aftermarket shock setup will be awesome. For me, the a-spec will do just fine.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tecworld
No actually I've seen the car with a-spec and 18 inch tires (235-40-18) and it does look lower than stock. I saw it side by side at a dealer. You're right in saying that the overall diameter remains the same (the 18 inch setup is about .05 inches wider)

My planned setup is the a-spec with 245-40-18 tires, which are marginally taller at the sidewall. This looks perfect to me. About 2 "fingers" of space above each tire.

Either way, just like the poll shows, the A-spec and Comptech choices both have their merits. I was really close to buying the comptech springs before I finally went with the A-specs. It's really just a decision of whether you want to spend the extra cash or not.

I had experience with a 98 accord (my last car) that was lowered on Eibach prokit springs. I drove that for about two years, and eventually put in tokico blue shocks. The difference in ride and handling was very noticeable after the shocks, so that's why I wanted to drop the extra cash for shocks again. Comptech users will probably get their own shocks (tokico, konis, bilsteins etc.) when they become available for the TL. Once that happens, the comptech + aftermarket shock setup will be awesome. For me, the a-spec will do just fine.
the two finger drop is the perfect drop. I will never lower a car without shocks again, for those that have..wait till you get shocks, it's like night and day difference.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:30 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

i have read on the Eibach/s site. that the Pro Kit part # 4044.140 is only a 1" drop. And that the same time you dont need new shocks. Its only a 1 inch drop. And I think with 19's its perfect. Just get yourself a nice rim with a fat lip on rear to make it look wide.