the intern on my team keeps asking to test drive my TL..what shud i do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

A lot of (unnecessary) hatred towards interns.. Everyone starts at the bottom

Now back to the actual subject at hand, just say no.
Old 08-24-2006 | 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Just tell him the truth: Your car is new, you're still in your honeymoon stage with it, and you're not comfortable with anyone else driving the car.

Also, assuming you like this person, you may want to let him know that pestering a co-worker for that matter about driving his or her car (or anything else) is unlikely to be a good career move--particularly as an intern.

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
So here is the scenario. The intern on my team, knowing that I drive a TL, which i still consider pretty new (bought in March 06), has asked many times directly and indirectly to drive my car. I don't really want to because my feeling is that you never know what is going to happen (scratches dents etc), and if anything does happen, things are going to look ugly and I dont want to deal with that. I feel like I am being cheap if I don't let him drive, but quite frankly if it was my parents or my older brother, I'd have no problem at all and I don't know why.

So..this being said...how do I say no to the intern w/o being mean? Or is there something I can do to kill his desire to drive my TL?

oh yeah, fyi the intern is abt 1-2 yrs younger than me
Old 08-24-2006 | 09:20 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Originally Posted by Glenn Davis
Do yourself AND this intern a favor and help help him schedule an appointment at the local ACURA dealer. There, he can test drive, purchase, or whatever he wants with absolutely no risk to you.

Better yet, just flat out tell him no. You owe him nothing. Your TL is not a toy for him to play with. If it's a toy, it's your toy not his. Can he pay for it if he breaks it? The only thing worse than wrecking your car is having someone else wreck your car for you.

You should have nipped this in the bud when he first hinted at the idea.

My rule of thumb... I keep MY keys in My pocket. Don't want anyone elses either.

Just out of curiosity, what does he drive?
^^^ this man speaks ONLY the truth, and NOTHING but the TRUTH..... That guy has NO RIGHT to drive your car without your consent. He's what..? 22-23 years of age?? He should know better than to keep on buggin you about driving your car... Doing a favor for someone can sometimes hurt you instead.. I've learned that the hard way.
Old 08-25-2006 | 03:09 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

The only person I allow to drive my TL is my best buddy from high school whose a former mechanic, former auto parts store owner, and expert on driving a stick.

Da good ting about da stick iz even da girl friend nor my goomas can't drive it.
Old 08-25-2006 | 03:18 AM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

i don't understand why he doesn't just test drive one at the dealership?

i have only let 3 people drive my 6spd, my pops (best shifting i've ever ridden with), my best friend whose driven all kinds of higher performance manuals, and a guy that regularly takes his car to the track. Even my close friends don't even bother asking
Old 08-25-2006 | 04:12 AM
9th Gear

YOU FEEL BAD ABOUT NOT LETTING HIM DRIVE IT!?!?!?

THINK ABOUT HOW YOU WOULD FEEL IF HE SCRATCHES IT, OR EVEN WORSE, WRECKED IT!!!!

Just mention to him that your insurance policy does not allow anyone other than you or your wife to drive the car. Then change the subject...."Did you know the new TL is coming out soon, its gonna have....."

Old 08-25-2006 | 09:42 AM
INNOVATION STARTS HERE

Tell him this, " Hey look man... you're a pretty cool guy and all, and I'd hate to hate you if something happened to my baby while in your hands.... so to avoid hating you, and continue liking you, I'm gonna let you NOT drive it! "
Old 08-25-2006 | 10:01 AM
RAR

why is this so complicated? grin at him, say not a chance in hell, and move on. don't need to be a dick about it...say nobody drives your baby but you if you want...
Old 08-25-2006 | 10:11 AM
Racer

sorry to hijack the thread, but leedog those headlights look nice, what paint did dan the man from aka mr zipo use on ur headlights
Old 08-25-2006 | 10:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
A lot of (unnecessary) hatred towards interns.. Everyone starts at the bottom

Now back to the actual subject at hand, just say no.
The whole thread is moronic, just as the one about the guy whining that his wife made him buy an Accord.

Anyone who has to ask whether he should allow someone to drive his car needs a dose a maturity.

Jeez! What a waste of electrons.
Old 08-25-2006 | 11:19 AM
Ex-Navy

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
The whole thread is moronic, just as the one about the guy whining that his wife made him buy an Accord.

Anyone who has to ask whether he should allow someone to drive his car needs a dose a maturity.

Jeez! What a waste of electrons.

Your wallet should be screaming NO!

After all ladies and gentlemen, you worked (I hope) hard to pay for your cars.
Old 08-25-2006 | 11:35 AM
Race Director

Tell him if he wants to test drive a car, go to a dealership.
Old 08-25-2006 | 01:19 PM
TSXmeister

hhhmmm....maybe the intern's Dad owns the company where u work for and that's why u could not or hard to say no to the intern??
Old 08-25-2006 | 05:36 PM
CL Expert

Originally Posted by TSXmeister
hhhmmm....maybe the intern's Dad owns the company where u work for and that's why u could not or hard to say no to the intern??
If that's the case, Intern should be begging Daddy for a TL...

It really makes no difference. The intern's dad could be President of this country for all I care, he'd still walk away very disappointed if he were asking to drive MY TL.
Old 08-25-2006 | 05:58 PM
Cruisin'

The very fact that he is even asking you should be raising a red flag. If he any social skills at all he would compliment you on the car and ask what it was like to drive, how you liked it, stuff like that. Maybe make a comment about how he was going to go down to the local Acura dealer and take a test drive himself. If you didn't bite and offer up a test drive of your car at that point the whole subject should just get dropped.

The fact that he keeps asking you means that he probably thinks he can wear you down for some reason and get that test drive - and if he can do that it means in the end he doesn't have a lot of respect for other people - or their possesions. If you want to get rid of him ask him what his girlfriend looks like - if she is good looking tell him that he can test drive your car when you get a chance to test drive his girlfriend.

The older I get the less nice I am to people like that.
Old 08-25-2006 | 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by calsdad
If you want to get rid of him ask him what his girlfriend looks like - if she is good looking tell him that he can test drive your car when you get a chance to test drive his girlfriend.
Alot of men would wish that life was that way
Old 08-26-2006 | 12:36 AM
INNOVATION STARTS HERE

Originally Posted by acuintegra
Like everyone's answer, Capital One "NO" Tell the guy to make his way to an Acura dealer.
Don't mean to hijack, but acuintegra, is your avitar pic of an integra? Im SO jealous my TL doesnt have that PSI option!

Or does it?
Old 08-26-2006 | 09:34 AM
Advanced

Look, first of all you should have looked at him like he was an alien and said, "ARE YOU CRAZY?" and then if he pushes any further, just tell hime to GO TO THE DEALER TO TEST DRIVE THE CAR , JUST LIKE YOU DID!!!
Old 08-26-2006 | 11:45 AM
Uses turn signals in my

Tell him no. If you want to quiet him up and still be friendly, offer to take him for a drive down a backroad. That way he won't have to drive.
Old 08-26-2006 | 02:55 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by TCM 01 CL-S
Tell him no. If you want to quiet him up and still be friendly, offer to take him for a drive down a backroad. That way he won't have to drive.
When I take individuals on a ride like dat, dose backroads usually lead ta rivers, lakes, and oceans!
Old 08-27-2006 | 12:36 AM
INNOVATION STARTS HERE

How did this thread make it to almost its fourth page?
Old 08-27-2006 | 01:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KOG TL
How did this thread make it to almost its fourth page?
I think it made it this far because we all have people who ask to drive our cars. My girlfriend went with me to the dealership to pick up my new car and she asked if I was going to let her experience the TL so I asked the salesman to let her test drive one while they detailed mine...end of questions.

I am deployed in Baghdad and my brother came to my house (brought my mom with him) a week before I left (my TL has about 600 miles on it) to ask if he could keep my car while I was gone...I told him "don't even think about it." He wrecked his car about a month prior, even though it wasn't his fault.

I am an Army officer and if one of my soldiers asked me to drive my car...his azz would be 10 pounds lighter when I get done him/her.

I have seen too many friendships go awry because somebody wrecked somebody's car. I don't care if its not their fault, you will automatically think you could have dome something different to avoid the accident. I would NEVER ask to drive anothe man's car. Bottom line...nobody tears up my car but me.
Old 08-27-2006 | 05:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
So here is the scenario. The intern on my team, knowing that I drive a TL, which i still consider pretty new (bought in March 06), has asked many times directly and indirectly to drive my car. I don't really want to because my feeling is that you never know what is going to happen (scratches dents etc), and if anything does happen, things are going to look ugly and I dont want to deal with that. I feel like I am being cheap if I don't let him drive, but quite frankly if it was my parents or my older brother, I'd have no problem at all and I don't know why.

So..this being said...how do I say no to the intern w/o being mean? Or is there something I can do to kill his desire to drive my TL?

oh yeah, fyi the intern is abt 1-2 yrs younger than me
I had some guy at work ask me if he could drive my car and maybe even switch with him for a day - he has a Maxima (prev. generation) and I kind of laughed it off and said "yeah, right". He asked me why and I just told him flat out that I don't let other people drive my car. He hasn't asked since.
Old 08-27-2006 | 06:40 AM
Advanced

Test Drive

Tell the Intern Noob that if he goes to the dealer he can test drive any car he wants. If they come back and say they wouldn't allow him a test drive for whatever reason, use the same reason!

My wife and I are the only drivers of my TL and I don't even like her driving it!!
Old 08-27-2006 | 07:03 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jmaikamon
I think it made it this far because we all have people who ask to drive our cars. My girlfriend went with me to the dealership to pick up my new car and she asked if I was going to let her experience the TL so I asked the salesman to let her test drive one while they detailed mine...end of questions.

I am deployed in Baghdad and my brother came to my house (brought my mom with him) a week before I left (my TL has about 600 miles on it) to ask if he could keep my car while I was gone...I told him "don't even think about it." He wrecked his car about a month prior, even though it wasn't his fault.

I am an Army officer and if one of my soldiers asked me to drive my car...his azz would be 10 pounds lighter when I get done him/her.

I have seen too many friendships go awry because somebody wrecked somebody's car. I don't care if its not their fault, you will automatically think you could have dome something different to avoid the accident. I would NEVER ask to drive anothe man's car. Bottom line...nobody tears up my car but me.
Amen. And I wish to thank you for your service to our country. May you remain safe and may God see you through your tour and back home here in the states.

Bless you, sir.
Old 08-27-2006 | 09:58 AM
Banned

Best solution, A lot of people don't know how to drive 6MT. So Just be like oh my car is a 6-speed with a Stage 3 clutch. I rather not let you drive it if you don't know how to handle it. Everyone I know except my brothers Don't know how to drive a manual trans car. So it works out. Ever more of a reason to get a 6speed
Old 08-27-2006 | 12:43 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Amen. And I wish to thank you for your service to our country. May you remain safe and may God see you through your tour and back home here in the states.

Bless you, sir.

jmaikamon,

I second this. Head low and finger READY.
Old 08-27-2006 | 07:58 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I hate when ppl ask to drive your things. I used to have a sportbike and from day 1 ppl were asking to drive it. As you can imagine no one wants to see their brand new bike go down and it happens so easily. I would def. say no to this guy