If Acura Monitors This Board - Please Read !

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 09:08 AM
Instructor

Question If Acura Monitors This Board - Please Read !

I found the site by accident the other day. I have been interested in purchasing a 2005' Acura TL since it came out. I fell in love with it ! I had planned on purchasing a 2005' model for this fall. As I mentioned in some of my previous posts, I own 3 PERFECT CARS. A 2001' & a 2003' CIVIC EX. for my two boys, and my baby is a Japan built, 95' MAXIMA.( early release, total redesign ) This has been a PERFECT CAR since I took delivery in July of 94' I have 81,000 miles on it. ( and it is in MINT condition )

After spending the past 3 days reading as many posts as possible. I have come to the conclusion that the 2004' Acura TL is problematic. If every owner of this car, knew about this site, it would be never ending with known and unknown ( so far ) defects/problems. I doubt that all of these problems will be eliminated by the fall. ( for the 2005' model year )

To be honest with you, I'm very leary about purchasing the 2005' model.
I baby my Maxima and would have to sell it to purchase the Acura. I keep my cars for at least 10 years. From what I have been reading, I'll be taking ONE BIG CHANCE ! ( and I am not a gambler )

This observation should stand on it's own merits. The put a better tire on an ACCORD ( Michelin ) and put an inferior/ problematic tire ( Bridgestone ) on an ACURA.
Make sense to you ?

I had a dangerous job for 20 years and I always went with my gut. Part of me says walk away and the other part of me says to go with it, and order a 2005'
in the fall. However, I would guess that the parts are on order and quality standards have already beem decided by Acura ( the tire problems, cheap leather etc. ) It may be too late for Accura to make changes with it's vendors.

Acura Read This !

From a potential "scared as all hell" buyer !

BTW: I'm too old to be Bull Crapped and no longer have the patience that I had, for a brief time in my life. I don't expect Acura to make a full "Confession"
But you owe an explantion to the members of this board.

I can be reached by leaving a Private Message or by e-mail.

Thank you !
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:10 AM
What's a TL?

Why not write to the corporate office directly to solicit a response as opposed to waiting for some mystery Acura employee trolling the forums?
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation

Acura has been known to monitor all of the boards in our Acura family. In fact, many of the changes on the 2003 CL came directly from acura-cl.com, however, they have never registered or replied, ever. So, like VTEC said... best bet would be to mail your concerns directly to them b/c you will most certainly NOT get a reply from them through the site.
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

2004 TL is problematic!

Then what would we say about my now returned 2002 TL-S which was on it's 4th transmission ?
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:33 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Ok they better read this... and start making TL in Japan, its just bad luck for Acura to make TL in Ohio, I rather wait and let it arrive from Japan.

oh well I already got mine.... its 98% problem free!
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:39 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
Ok they better read this... and start making TL in Japan, its just bad luck for Acura to make TL in Ohio, I rather wait and let it arrive from Japan.

oh well I already got mine.... its 98% problem free!
I wish I could order one from Japan !
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:45 AM
Racer

Lame!

:banghead:
Originally Posted by cypwood1
I found the site by accident the other day. I have been interested in purchasing a 2005' Acura TL since it came out. I fell in love with it ! I had planned on purchasing a 2005' model for this fall. As I mentioned in some of my previous posts, I own 3 PERFECT CARS. A 2001' & a 2003' CIVIC EX. for my two boys, and my baby is a Japan built, 95' MAXIMA.( early release, total redesign ) This has been a PERFECT CAR since I took delivery in July of 94' I have 81,000 miles on it. ( and it is in MINT condition )

After spending the past 3 days reading as many posts as possible. I have come to the conclusion that the 2004' Acura TL is problematic. If every owner of this car, knew about this site, it would be never ending with known and unknown ( so far ) defects/problems. I doubt that all of these problems will be eliminated by the fall. ( for the 2005' model year )

To be honest with you, I'm very leary about purchasing the 2005' model.
I baby my Maxima and would have to sell it to purchase the Acura. I keep my cars for at least 10 years. From what I have been reading, I'll be taking ONE BIG CHANCE ! ( and I am not a gambler )

I'm sorry, but this thread is TOTALLY laughable. You are seriously contemplating not buying a TL and not giving up your glorious Maxima because of a few problems and rants on an internet bulletin board?

HELLO...........MCFLY? ANYONE THERE?

The people who post on the BBS's are an extremely limited few, and more than likely seek these types of boards out to try to solve problems or find out answers to a problem he/she may be having.

What is the BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU HAVE HEARD SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT HERE? Here's the small and limited few problems I have heard of, all very minor IMHO
(1) Seat memory issues (TSB issued and the fix works so far as reported!)
(2) Headliner sagging (most people have had theirs fixed and no further problems)
(3) Crappy Bridgestone EL42 tires/vibrations (easily negotiate Michelins to be delivered on the car as part of the deal, or buy new tires/rims)
(4) Ass print or wear in leather (if it really bothers you that bad, take the car to an upholstery shop and have them restuff with firmer and more cushioning material, or have Acura replace the seat(s) under warranty. All leather eventually shows wear marks, lines, etc.)
(5) Scratches in Windows after tinting (have the tint installer install some felt)

NO engine problems, no tranny problems, etc. That's whats important. Try hanging out on the Bimmer.org boards and read ALL the much more significant problems BMW onwers have (trust me, have had all recent models from 3 series to 745i, and they were always in the shop!!). Try the Infiniti boards and listen to all the complaints about the cheap, crappy, plasticky and uncomfortable interiors, etc. Someone is ALWAYS going to have to complain about something...and we very small few who actually enthusiastically seek information out about modding our cars,etc do not clearly represent the amount of TL owners out there that are completely "problem-free" and have no need to post on an Internet BBS because (a) they are too busy driving their "perfect" TL (b) they are not enthusiasts or interested in modding their cars.
No manufacturer is perfect. However, you have given no justification for your rant other than whining about a few minor issues. I hate to tell you, but NO car is perfect, not even your beloved 95 maxima.

You should really reconsider as your position lacks any basis or grounds honestly. Me thinks your gut is wrong this time. Please tell me of any other issues you have heard of besides the five I have mentioned (I can't think of any others).

Sorry for the seemingly harsh tone...but it seriously bugs when someone is so misinformed and makes an important decision based on a reading a few posts on an internet BBS... :smackhead
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:49 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

:bowdown: Now I feel soo good about our TL...
Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
:banghead:

I'm sorry, but this thread is TOTALLY laughable. You are seriously contemplating not buying a TL and not giving up your glorious Maxima because of a few problems and rants on an internet bulletin board?

HELLO...........MCFLY? ANYONE THERE?

The people who post on the BBS's are an extremely limited few, and more than likely seek these types of boards out to try to solve problems or find out answers to a problem he/she may be having.

What is the BIGGEST PROBLEM YOU HAVE HEARD SOMEONE COMPLAIN ABOUT HERE? Here's the small and limited few problems I have heard of, all very minor IMHO
(1) Seat memory issues (TSB issued and the fix works so far as reported!)
(2) Headliner sagging (most people have had theirs fixed and no further problems)
(3) Crappy Bridgestone EL42 tires/vibrations (easily negotiate Michelins to be delivered on the car as part of the deal, or buy new tires/rims)
(4) Ass print or wear in leather (if it really bothers you that bad, take the car to an upholstery shop and have them restuff with firmer and more cushioning material, or have Acura replace the seat(s) under warranty. All leather eventually shows wear marks, lines, etc.)
(5) Scratches in Windows after tinting (have the tint installer install some felt)

NO engine problems, no tranny problems, etc. That's whats important. Try hanging out on the Bimmer.org boards and read ALL the much more significant problems BMW onwers have (trust me, have had all recent models from 3 series to 745i, and they were always in the shop!!). Try the Infiniti boards and listen to all the complaints about the cheap, crappy, plasticky and uncomfortable interiors, etc. Someone is ALWAYS going to have to complain about something...and we very small few who actually enthusiastically seek information out about modding our cars,etc do not clearly represent the amount of TL owners out there that are completely "problem-free" and have no need to post on an Internet BBS because (a) they are too busy driving their "perfect" TL (b) they are not enthusiasts or interested in modding their cars.
No manufacturer is perfect. However, you have given no justification for your rant other than whining about a few minor issues. I hate to tell you, but NO car is perfect, not even your beloved 95 maxima.

You should really reconsider as your position lacks any basis or grounds honestly. Me thinks your gut is wrong this time. Please tell me of any other issues you have heard of besides the five I have mentioned (I can't think of any others).

Sorry for the seemingly harsh tone...but it seriously bugs when someone is so misinformed and makes an important decision based on a reading a few posts on an internet BBS... :smackhead
Old 04-08-2004 | 09:51 AM
Racer

Seriously! Problematic? You're just not using your head here. First of all, this is hardly a representative sample of all owners....most of the people who come here come here for one extreme or the other (Acura can do no wrong or no right). Also, if you want the global opinion on quality look down a page and find my quality poll. 75% of the people here have no quality issues at all.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:00 AM
Instructor

Question

Originally Posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
:bowdown: Now I feel soo good about our TL...
I'm a big boy ! Little harsh! but I have an open mind. Do you think that most of the problems you listed will be corrected for the 2005 model years ?
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:01 AM
Instructor

I can't believe someone would not buy a car because of what they read on the bulletin board??? :think: Come on, do some thinking for yourself! If you are going to follow someone else's recommendations, it might as well be a more balanced source, especially as it concerns reliability--how about consumer reports?

Oh, and by the way, I almost didn't buy because Car & Driver complained... :devil: Yeah, right...
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:06 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Tristero
I can't believe someone would not buy a car because of what they read on the bulletin board??? :think: Come on, do some thinking for yourself! If you are going to follow someone else's recommendations, it might as well be a more balanced source, especially as it concerns reliability--how about consumer reports?

Oh, and by the way, I almost didn't buy because Car & Driver complained... :devil: Yeah, right...
Thank you for responding. I'm feeling better already ! I wanted to get the "other side" of the story also.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:09 AM
GregS

Cool

To be honest with you, I'm very leary about purchasing the 2005' model. I baby my Maxima and would have to sell it to purchase the Acura. I keep my cars for at least 10 years. From what I have been reading, I'll be taking ONE BIG CHANCE ! ( and I am not a gambler )...

Cypwood1,

I guess you have to "go with your gut". After all, it's your money. If you are not comfortable or concerned about buying an '04 or '05 TL, then don't buy one - just walk away!

However, as a very satifisfied '04 TL owner, I think your concerns are "overblown". Yes, this forum has some really good information, and provides owners and prospective buyers with a unique perspective. However, I don't think you can derive your "paranoid conclusion" that all '04 TL's must be bad based on the postings in this forum. In fact, if you read some of the professional auto magazine reviews, and Consumer Reports, you will find that for the most part the reviews are positive, aside from criticism about the TL being FWD, the alleged torque steer issue, and a few other minor nits - but then no car is perfect! Yes, there are many that may have problems (some serious), but no car manufacturer has a perfect record. There are bound to be some issues, especially in the first year of a major redesign.

Also, any issues you may encounter are typically taken care of by the dealer without delay or debate, but that depends again on the reliability of your dealer, as "all dealers are not created equal". Some will go to great lengths to provide outstanding customer service, while others could care less (I am not sure how such dealerships maintain customer loyalty). So the message here is you need to shop carefully, and buy from a dealer you feel is reputable, and will provide you with the customer service you deserve.

There are upwards of 40,000+ '04 TL's that have been produced since it's inception in the Fall of 2003 and based on my personal experience, I have found it to be well-built, reliable, and literally trouble free after about 8,500 miles. Yes, the tires were unacceptable for a car of the TL's caliber and price range, but for most people they will do just fine. Overall, it is a fine automobile, and a prime example of Honda's best efforts in terms quality and reliability (if you didn't know, the TL is based on the Accord platform) and is simply one of the best cars on the market today.

Just check out the customer reviews at www.edmunds.com or http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...m=All&lang=All and you will can read all the positive feedback for yourself.

Just my 2-cents.

Regards,
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Vegas_TL04 ,

Excellent post, I agree 100%, my problems have been very minor and the engine transmission and all other mechanicals have been fine.

My gripes are loud I admit, perhaps because it has taken so many attempts for such relatively simple problems. Some of which still piss me off, but mechanically I love this car.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:11 AM
GregS

Originally Posted by roadman
2004 TL is problematic!

Then what would we say about my now returned 2002 TL-S which was on it's 4th transmission ?
Isn't the transmission for the second generation TL made in Japan?

Regards
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:11 AM
Intermediate

Just one less person in line for the car. His misconceptions could effect resale value. I really don't mind, I plan on keeping my car for the duration.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:37 AM
Advanced

I picked up my car in December. The only problem I have is the memory seats. Nothing major at all. I am completely satisfied with this car. In most cases, as I'm sure you know, people post problems...not praises. Unless it's a new feature we've found :toothless
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:40 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by gstais
Cypwood1,

I guess you have to "go with your gut". After all, it's your money. If you are not comfortable or concerned about buying an '04 or '05 TL, then don't buy one - just walk away!

However, as a very satifisfied '04 TL owner, I think your concerns are "overblown". Yes, this forum has some really good information, and provides owners and prospective buyers with a unique perspective. However, I don't think you can derive your "paranoid conclusion" that all '04 TL's must be bad based on the postings in this forum. In fact, if you read some of the professional auto magazine reviews, and Consumer Reports, you will find that for the most part the reviews are positive, aside from criticism about the TL being FWD, the alleged torque steer issue, and a few other minor nits - but then no car is perfect! Yes, there are many that may have problems (some serious), but no car manufacturer has a perfect record. There are bound to be some issues, especially in the first year of a major redesign.

Also, any issues you may encounter are typically taken care of by the dealer without delay or debate, but that depends again on the reliability of your dealer, as "all dealers are not created equal". Some will go to great lengths to provide outstanding customer service, while others could care less (I am not sure how such dealerships maintain customer loyalty). So the message here is you need to shop carefully, and buy from a dealer you feel is reputable, and will provide you with the customer service you deserve.

There are upwards of 40,000+ '04 TL's that have been produced since it's inception in the Fall of 2003 and based on my personal experience, I have found it to be well-built, reliable, and literally trouble free after about 8,500 miles. Yes, the tires were unacceptable for a car of the TL's caliber and price range, but for most people they will do just fine. Overall, it is a fine automobile, and a prime example of Honda's best efforts in terms quality and reliability (if you didn't know, the TL is based on the Accord platform) and is simply one of the best cars on the market today.

Just check out the customer reviews at www.edmunds.com or http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...m=All&lang=All and you will can read all the positive feedback for yourself.

Just my 2-cents.

Regards,
Greg,
Thank you for your polite reply. I guess I got bugged out reading all those posts, over the past 3 - 4 days. I know it is made on the Accord platform.
I also mentioned in my post that I have bought 2 new Civic's EX for my boys.
Honda makes a very good product. Our whole family loves them. Couple of minor recalls on the 2001' Zipo on the 2003' I'm just worried about selling a perfect car, my 95' Maxima. I must of read over a thousand posts. Just a little jumpy. I hope the minor / major issues for the 2005 year are taken care of prior to the fall. ( what's minor to one person, could be major to another )

Thanks, Again
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:44 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by dnice
I picked up my car in December. The only problem I have is the memory seats. Nothing major at all. I am completely satisfied with this car. In most cases, as I'm sure you know, people post problems...not praises. Unless it's a new feature we've found :toothless

Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:46 AM
Racer

Norse396: Thanks bro! U wanna hear about a car with problems, i coujldnt even begin to list the ones I had with my 745i. And it was STILL not 100%, HELL..the check engine light came on and stayed on the day it was stolen LOL!!!
Cruisin'

I had a 2001 Maxima. I loved that car. It had no rattles at all. No problems.
Safety Car

don't let the problem threads scare you away. there are way more satisfied customers than unsatisfied. when i first saw the board i was a little startled but i also read message boards from other cars i was interested in getting. they also had their problems as well, very minor but still not perfect either.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:50 AM
Instructor

I understand that most of you are happy with the car, but spending $34,000 on a car and then having to deal with vibration of the whole car from 45-55 mph from DAY ONE is more than a minor concern. This should have been addressed with new tires swapped out by the dealer immediately. Instead I'm still waiting eight weeks later for "reformulated Bridgestones". The dealer said if I wasn't satisfied with that (on a brand new car with a defect as delivered that makes it uncomfortable to drive at highway speed) then to contact Acura Customer Service. They had no problem with this "solution" either. They suggested the next step would be to write the president of Honda-America, which I did THREE WEEKS ago. No response.
I think cypwood's concerns are valid. True, every new car is going to have problems. It's how the dealer and the car company deals with them that makes the difference and the way Acura and most (not all) of their dealers have dealt with this issue is a joke.
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:55 AM
Racer

FINISHLINE: YOu think the Bridgestones are crappy riding? Ask a BMW Tech how shitty the Pirelli tires ride on the 745's!?!?! I MADE BMW replace my Pirellis with Michelins. I even had to go so far as to have a NEW STEERING RACK replaced on my 745i to try to solve vibration problems. 35K is really not THAT much for a car in today's market. My 86K BMW rode like a mack truck before I had them replace the steering rack and the crappy Pirelli's!
Old 04-08-2004 | 10:57 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by finishline
I understand that most of you are happy with the car, but spending $34,000 on a car and then having to deal with vibration of the whole car from 45-55 mph from DAY ONE is more than a minor concern. This should have been addressed with new tires swapped out by the dealer immediately. Instead I'm still waiting eight weeks later for "reformulated Bridgestones". The dealer said if I wasn't satisfied with that (on a brand new car with a defect as delivered that makes it uncomfortable to drive at highway speed) then to contact Acura Customer Service. They had no problem with this "solution" either. They suggested the next step would be to write the president of Honda-America, which I did THREE WEEKS ago. No response.
I think cypwood's concerns are valid. True, every new car is going to have problems. It's how the dealer and the car company deals with them that makes the difference and the way Acura and most (not all) of their dealers have dealt with this issue is a joke.
Thanks for your understanding. I have one dealer 45 minutes away, and I am concerned. It's him or nobody else.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:01 AM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by caball88
don't let the problem threads scare you away. there are way more satisfied customers than unsatisfied. when i first saw the board i was a little startled but i also read message boards from other cars i was interested in getting. they also had their problems as well, very minor but still not perfect either.
Thanks for the kind reply.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:04 AM
Instructor

Vegas, $35,000 may not be much for you, but it is for me.
And yeah, things could always be worse, but this level of customer service has been ridiculous for a supposed "luxury" nameplate. I was treated better by Chrysler.

cypwood,
No problem. The only real problem I've had has been this vibration. I'm HOPING the replacement tires will take care of it, but I don't know. It sounds like some people getting the replacements have not been happy with them.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:07 AM
Racer

FINISHLINE: INSIST on a comparable replacement tire from another brand. Perist, and don't relent. DEMAND that they give you Michelins, etc. If their CSI scores are important to them, talk to the svc manager and tell him/her that they are going to BLOW IT on their survey scores, etc.

And BTW, dont make me sound like I'm stuck up. THink about it, whats the avg price for a car these days? like 20-25K?! Hell, VW Beetles are like 24K now-a-days LOL!
35K is no small amount of money, but in terms of cars, and rising prices, it is very reasonable (and very affordable due to current interest rates!)
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:20 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, Vegas. I'm going to call the dealer again.
I wasn't trying to make you sound "stuck up", only making the point that it is a lot of money for me. At this price point for a small sedan, I think I should rightly expect a higher level of service.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:27 AM
Instructor

Another thing to mention is the Consumer Reports rating for the car. Like you mentioned all cars are going to have it's quirks. They felt strongly enough to rate it the highest. I respect their opinion and that was one of the major considerations when I chose the TL over the G35 (which I consider a fine car also).
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:38 AM
Instructor

Dave, I get Consumer Reports. I was very impressed with the testing results. It beat out every car in it's class.I just got spooked reading all those problematic posts.

In addition, it was #1 in crash testing by : http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_rat...idlux.htm#0404
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:49 AM
Return of the Ring

I've had my '04 TL for 2 months now, over 3000 miles and no problems with the car. My only warning is, if you get the dealer-installed backup sensor, make sure the dealer who installs it has done at least one (successfully!) before yours. Seriously... Sussman Acura in Jenkintown, PA messed mine up initially - they even mis-aligned & chipped the trunk lid! They then admitted to me that it was the first time they had installed one!!! That's all been fixed now, though, and other than that (i.e. other than "dealer error"), there's been nothing else wrong with the car. Seems like Acura has been paying attention to these issues, and is quietly fixing the minor problems, such as seat memory loss and flat-spotting tires, in the newer builds. If my experience is any indication, you may buy with confidence!
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:52 AM
Instructor

Good luck ! I hope everyone gets their issue(s) resolved. I know what it's like to be at the short end of the stick ! Frustrating !

Cypwood
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:55 AM
Instructor

So hopefully by the fall, when I will be ready to order my 2005', the issues that I have been reading, will be gone !
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:55 AM
GregS

Cool

Originally Posted by finishline
cypwood,
No problem. The only real problem I've had has been this vibration. I'm HOPING the replacement tires will take care of it, but I don't know. It sounds like some people getting the replacements have not been happy with them.
I replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas at 3,500 miles due the vibrations and flat-spotting with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Ever since then the problems have disappeared, and the car rides better than ever.

I am probably luckier than most of the posters here, in that my Acura dealer reimbursed me in full for the tire replacement. The Service Manager filed a claim with the Acura Regional Representative, and was able to get him/her to agree to the reimbursement. I had a check in hand within 2-weeks of my initial conversation with the Service Manager.

My experience further underscores the need for prospective buyers to "get past the sales hype and pressure" and fully evaluate the dealer's reputation and commitment to customer service, BEFORE YOU BUY! There is another Acura dealer in my locale, which I can honestly say made me very uncomfortable during the sales process. I am sure I would not have been treated the same way relative to the tire issue, had I bought the car from them.

Acura made a bad decision when choosing the OEM tires, but by now I am sure they will make some changes in the future more than likely in '05. At the end of the day, it is the dealers' ultimate responsibility to serve the customer, especially if they want you to buy another vehicle from them in the future.

Regards,
Old 04-08-2004 | 12:44 PM
Racer

>>After spending the past 3 days reading as many posts as possible. I have come to the conclusion that the 2004' Acura TL is problematic.

I'm not sure you're being fair by reaching this conclusion based entirely on what you read here.

I wanted very much to buy one but I too was scared based on what I saw here.
I know that's irrational and there's a darn good chance I'll buy one (even a 2004) and it will be fine and I'll be very happy with it for however long I own it. I'm a numbers guy and I need to data before I'll agree than the new TL is problematic.

Also, I don't believe in that Japan vs. Ohio arguement. My Ohio-built '98 CL has been flawless (save for a EGR valve last month) and I'm at 134k miles.
Old 04-08-2004 | 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Greg,
Thank you for your polite reply. I guess I got bugged out reading all those posts, over the past 3 - 4 days. I know it is made on the Accord platform.
I also mentioned in my post that I have bought 2 new Civic's EX for my boys.
Honda makes a very good product. Our whole family loves them. Couple of minor recalls on the 2001' Zipo on the 2003' I'm just worried about selling a perfect car, my 95' Maxima. I must of read over a thousand posts. Just a little jumpy. I hope the minor / major issues for the 2005 year are taken care of prior to the fall. ( what's minor to one person, could be major to another )

Thanks, Again
I also have an early production '95 Maxima. It's been a fantastic car, but I must warn you - you are approaching the mileage where the O2 sensors will begin to fail. No ifs, ands, or buts - they WILL fail - ALL 3 OF THEM. So, just be prepared for a few expenses if you intend to keep the Max (I did. Wife still loves and drives it). Also, don't expect the alternator to go much beyond the 110K point. I know many other folks with the Max that have had theirs replaced. Mine lasted until 120K. The car now has 150K miles on it and is running fine. It's been a great car altogether. Too bad the newer ones aren't as solid (see www.maxima.org).

Back to your regularly schedule thread...

derscott
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:27 PM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by derscott
I also have an early production '95 Maxima. It's been a fantastic car, but I must warn you - you are approaching the mileage where the O2 sensors will begin to fail. No ifs, ands, or buts - they WILL fail - ALL 3 OF THEM. So, just be prepared for a few expenses if you intend to keep the Max (I did. Wife still loves and drives it). Also, don't expect the alternator to go much beyond the 110K point. I know many other folks with the Max that have had theirs replaced. Mine lasted until 120K. The car now has 150K miles on it and is running fine. It's been a great car altogether. Too bad the newer ones aren't as solid (see www.maxima.org).

Back to your regularly schedule thread...

derscott
Hello ! I have a tad over 81,000 miles-do U think that it's lifespan is closing in on me ? One of my old co-workers will kill to buy this car from me. He's got plenty of $$$$$$$$ but refuses to buy a new car. I tell him "You never saw a Brinks Truck at a Cemetery" I think that if he got 40,000 miles from it, he would be happy. I was going to use the proceeds for a down payment on a 2005
TL
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:33 PM
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by Stewie
>>After spending the past 3 days reading as many posts as possible. I have come to the conclusion that the 2004' Acura TL is problematic.

I'm not sure you're being fair by reaching this conclusion based entirely on what you read here.

I wanted very much to buy one but I too was scared based on what I saw here.
I know that's irrational and there's a darn good chance I'll buy one (even a 2004) and it will be fine and I'll be very happy with it for however long I own it. I'm a numbers guy and I need to data before I'll agree than the new TL is problematic.

Also, I don't believe in that Japan vs. Ohio arguement. My Ohio-built '98 CL has been flawless (save for a EGR valve last month) and I'm at 134k miles.
Stewie. I've calmed down a lot since I got yelled at this morning. I have an open mind and can be reasoned with. I just hope that the issues are taken care of for the 2005 model year. However, this site opened my eyes. U get a pretty good education on this site.
Old 04-08-2004 | 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

I've had mine for about 1 1/2 months now....cracked 1k a short while back....and have experienced nothing but great rides! No vibrations, no rattles, stereo sounds great, headliner holding tight, seat/mirror memory isn't senile......I still smile every time I climb in......what a great car!!!

Quick Reply: If Acura Monitors This Board - Please Read !