i went to the dealership like an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:03 AM
i am so smart S M R T

Unhappy i went to the dealership like an idiot

i went to the dealership to have them preform some recalls. one on a hose and the other something about the powersteering. The service consultant calls me and says that i NEED a pwer steering flush i am reluctant but he keeps empahsising that it needs to get done when you do this recall. So i am like great 119.99. I also had them do an oil change and check on my airbag light. Grand total 267.89!!!!!! I cant believe i paid that.
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

They should cover anything involved in the warrenty work. You did not have to pay for the power stearing flush, go talk to the service manager and fight it.
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:35 AM
Racer

Yep. You got fleeced. They probably billed Acura for the tranny flush too, and made double.
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:38 AM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Lol
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:39 AM
i am so smart S M R T

the only high point was that i got to drive a tl sh-awd for a couple of hours
Old 03-16-2010 | 10:49 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
i went to the dealership to have them preform some recalls. one on a hose and the other something about the powersteering. The service consultant calls me and says that i NEED a pwer steering flush i am reluctant but he keeps empahsising that it needs to get done when you do this recall. So i am like great 119.99. I also had them do an oil change and check on my airbag light. Grand total 267.89!!!!!! I cant believe i paid that.
What car are we talking about? You posted in the 3G forum, so I assume you're talking about an 04-08 TL?

If so, and they performed the PS recall ( http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-016.pdf ), then you are the victim of a totally corrupt service consultant. The Recall clearly tells the dealer to:

1. Drain the PS fluid
2. Inspect the fluid
3. Replace the fluid if necessary.

It also lists up to 3 bottles of PS fluid in the parts requirements.

I'd call ACS and let them know this happened. I'd also take a copy of the recall into the service manager and ask how they could possibly have charged you for a PS flush.

Of course, if your post was not about a 3G TL, then I just wasted some electrons....
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
What car are we talking about? You posted in the 3G forum, so I assume you're talking about an 04-08 TL?

If so, and they performed the PS recall ( http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-016.pdf ), then you are the victim of a totally corrupt service consultant. The Recall clearly tells the dealer to:

1. Drain the PS fluid
2. Inspect the fluid

I'd call ACS and let them know this happened. I'd also take a copy of the recall into the service manager and ask how they could possibly have charged you for a PS flush.

Of course, if your post was not about a 3G TL, then I just wasted some electrons....
This.

Go back, they cannot charge you for recall repairs. If they give you any trouble, call Acura.
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:16 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

This thing of them trying to push this power steering seems to be spreading rapidly. They also do it at a Honda dealership where I take my Civic. They pretty much had asked me each time I'd have my oil changed. Last year I replaced a cracked power steering reservoir on my Civic. At the time I let the engine run with one hose disconnected to pump all of the old fluid out. After installing the new reservoir, I put in new power steering fluid. Less than month later I went to dealer for my next oil change and lo and behold, when the SA comes inside with my paperwork, he once again advises me that my oil change is done and that he strongly recommends a power steering flush.
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:19 AM
AZ Community Team

1. Drain the PS fluid
2. Inspect the fluid

Originally Posted by BradE
This.

Go back, they cannot charge you for recall repairs. If they give you any trouble, call Acura.

YES!! You got fuxored. Call Acura Corporate and get your money back. Read this link:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b08-016.pdf

Power Steering Fluid Repalcment is INCLUDED if needed in the recall.
Old 03-16-2010 | 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WayneJay
This thing of them trying to push this power steering seems to be spreading rapidly. They also do it at a Honda dealership where I take my Civic. They pretty much had asked me each time I'd have my oil changed. Last year I replaced a cracked power steering reservoir on my Civic. At the time I let the engine run with one hose disconnected to pump all of the old fluid out. After installing the new reservoir, I put in new power steering fluid. Less than month later I went to dealer for my next oil change and lo and behold, when the SA comes inside with my paperwork, he once again advises me that my oil change is done and that he strongly recommends a power steering flush.
The economy sucks and dealers have taken a 20-40% sales hit, so they are trying to make up for it by pushing unnecessary services onto their other customers.

I wouldn't be surpised if some dealers fix one thing while it's in for service, and then bust something else. Especially if the car is out of warranty and they can bend you over for more money.
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:02 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Angry

i called the service manager and left a message about 2 hours ago...... we will see what happens
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

that's just not right....
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:30 PM
AZ Community Team

i called the service manager and left a message about 2 hours ago...... we will see what happens
Here's my guess:

They are going to give you some song & dance about how what they did was a "flush" with soem special equipment and cleaning fluid, blah, blah, blah. They'll say it was much more than a simple fluid replacement.

DON'T roll over. You were misled. Ask them to show you in the Owners Manual where a Power Steering Fluid Flush is recommended maint. It's not there. Tell them to explain to you why they did not inform you that a fluid change was part of the Recall Procedure.

If you do not get ALL of your money back, call Acura Corp. Do it form your cell phone right there at the dealership even.

(800) 382-2238

If you encounter a problem that your
dealership does not solve to your
satisfaction, please discuss it with
the dealership’s management. The
service manager or general manager
can help. Almost all problems are
solved in this way.

If you are dissatisfied with the
decision made by the dealership’s
management, contact the Acura
Client Services Office.
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

He isn't going to call you back. Go to the dealership. If the service manager isn't there, ask for the general manager. The GM is the boss over everyone there, including the service department.
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:34 PM
Racer

I had this recall done and it did not cost me a dime. In fact, I let them keep it overnight so I could drive the loaner for a while longer. You should complain to the Region Manager and get your money back!
Old 03-16-2010 | 01:56 PM
Team Owner

I'm anxious to hear what the dealership has to say!
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:33 PM
Race Director

01cls, maybe I missed it, but can you confirm what car is the subject of this discussion? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:38 PM
Instructor

the dealership wont refund you the amound, they'll refer you to ACS.
call (800)382-2238 press option # 5 for product/dealer concerns.

dont be a jackass cause they'll be a jackass right back to you and deny your request.
just be polite, but "consistent" about the refund.
goodluck
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:41 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

In for outcome.
Old 03-16-2010 | 02:48 PM
4th Gear

I don't call them dealerships anymore. I call them stealerships... They wanted to charge me near $100 for materials and labor to replace the cabin air filter. I replaced it myself with a really good air filter for not even half that price.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:00 PM
Middle Finger anyone?

I get emails monthly for the service "specials". Does $160 sound like a good deal to change the oil, rotate tires, replace wiper blade inserts?

Not to me either.
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:01 PM
Race Director

OK, I tracked some of your other posts. It's an 05 6MT, correct?

Here's what I suggest: Go to the dealer website, get every e-mail address you can find and then send them a link to this post.

But you must also ABSOLUTELY put this on record with ACS, even if the dealer refunds you your money. ACS needs to know what this dealer has tried to pull on you.

I would also recommend contacting the CT state attorney general's office and file a complaint. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you're just one of many 3G TL owner's that's been fleeced by this dealer.

Can you post the name of the dealer so we all know who it is?
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:15 PM
i am so smart S M R T

OK, I tracked some of your other posts. It's an 05 6MT, correct?

Here's what I suggest: Go to the dealer website, get every e-mail address you can find and then send them a link to this post.

But you must also ABSOLUTELY put this on record with ACS, even if the dealer refunds you your money. ACS needs to know what this dealer has tried to pull on you.

I would also recommend contacting the CT state attorney general's office and file a complaint. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you're just one of many 3G TL owner's that's been fleeced by this dealer.

Can you post the name of the dealer so we all know who it is?
yes the car is an 05 tl 6spd. I am going to wait until tomorrow to post the name of the dealership i would rather not bash them if the service manager makes it right
Old 03-16-2010 | 03:59 PM
Team Owner

WOW you guys are wild and crazy wrong about this!

The recall includes refilling of lost fluid from the procedure- which is very little, but acura allows for up to 3 qts- which of course the parts dept bills acura for 3 regardless of the amount tech uses- they issued 3 qts

a ps FLUSH is a good idea in certain conditons
easy DIY- and yes, you should do it about EVERY 50-60kmiles or every 3 years
That fluid is important and takes a lot of abuse

remove return line from res- attach extra hose over return hose into container-
start engine and turn wheels back and forth till system is empty-
reattach hose to res and add new fluid- start engine and turn wheels- adding fluid as needed and turning until air bubbles are gone
Done
Thats a flush according to acura

Many things are common sense or real life experience with suggested maitenance time, not always directly listed in the book, or hidden in the meaning somewhere

For the ps flush with the recall-of course dealer wants to make money while its there- thats how they stay open
if your due on miles/time, then DIY it for 30 bucks

the recalled hose failure point is a fitting not an internal shredding- so not big issue of contamination -
time and miles are the enemy of fluids for brakes clutch steering etc
Acura has had many seal leaks in steering rack -probable cause: not changing fluid soon enough
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:01 PM
Team Owner

change/flush the clutch master/slave too or it will eventually leak from its inner oring seal
Old 03-16-2010 | 04:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
WOW you guys are wild and crazy wrong about this!

The recall includes refilling of lost fluid from the procedure- which is very little, but acura allows for up to 3 qts- which of course the parts dept bills acura for 3 regardless of the amount tech uses- they issued 3 qts....
Uh, what recall did you read? The recall procedure most certainly do call for a drain/flush/refill (either with old or new fluid, depending on the fluid condition). The procedures are written in black and white:

2. Drain the P/S fluid:
NOTE: Take care not to spill any fluid. Wipe off any
spilled fluid immediately.
• Refer to page 17-13 of the 07–08 TL Service
Manual
, or
• Online, enter keywords STEERING FLUID, and
select Power Steerin3g Fluid Check/
Replacement from the list.
3. Check the condition of the drained fluid:
If the fluid is contaminated, dark, or discolored,
discard it; do not reuse it.

46. Using the clear P/S fluid you removed from the
system (or new fluid if the original fluid was
contaminated or discolored), fill the P/S reservoir to
the upper level line.
NOTE:
• Use Acura Precision Crafted Power Steering
Fluid.
• The system capacity is 1.1 L (37.2 oz).
• The reservoir capacity is 0.32 L (10.8 oz).
47. Start the engine, run it at a fast idle, and turn the
steering wheel lock-to-lock several times. This will
bleed any air from the P/S system.

Here's a copy of the service manual page which the TSB directs the tech to follow. It is the full fluid replacement/flush procedure:

So, you are the one who is crazy wrong....AGAIN!

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-16-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2010 | 05:36 PM
takin care of Business in

$268 is just

man fight it....they wont refund any oil change charges but yeah def the PS fluid....
Old 03-16-2010 | 05:36 PM
Cruisin'

damn thats why there called the stealership!!! lol
good luck with the manager......
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:20 PM
Team Owner

you agreed to a flush- and a price right?

The posted info above does not show a complete FLUSH as described by acura with the wheel back and forth to DRAIN the system- as in flush out the old fluid completely

What the tech is doing is pop a hose off and install a new one
Wipe up spilled fluid and refill res AS NEEDED, often less than 1 bottle, bleed system AS NEEDED
done, got paid for 1.something hours in less than 20 minutes

When you authorize extra work, you agree to pay for it- SR puts down time-date-who spoke with and amount without tax agreed upon for what work onto invoice

If you had said NO, and they charged you, or they did not ask at all and charged you- then you would have something real to work with and deserve a full refund

While it was a hosing, the recall itself was done for free within acura guidelines

If you didnt know that service writers are in fact salespersons- of parts and repairs on your car- they have quotas, acura sends them to training all the time to increase knowledge of newest cars,,but more on sales skills

How do I know these things- worked in the biz- may SECRETLY work in it now for all you know~
But nfn- if it makes you feel better to find me wrong- ok - I was going on real world and techs world vs the book, and how you interpret the book is diferent than me
OK I am wrong, are you happy now?
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:26 PM
Team Owner

reading first post again- paid 119 for ps flush
yes they should remove the fluid and partial labor from that bill as its included with the recall
computer error on input by service writer- to make add on not full job price
Also got an oil change 30-40 bucks?

and the real biggie- was srs diagnosis ~100 bucks assuming no problem found or not warranty or recall covered so you paid for an hour or so of tech diagnostic time- even if it only took 10 minutes they get to charge a set fee if they want

Is that about how it actually broke down on the invoice?
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:29 PM
Safety Car

aren't they supposed to cover that under the "recall"...? weird...go back and complain.
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:38 PM
takin care of Business in

dude i got ripped off the same way....i mean if not for this forum i would've spend a lot more on my car....

1> when my passenger side door trim fell off (the part where you stick the key in for the driver side)....they charged me $52...they said the part was $37 ....just to know my car was under the VIN where if this happened it would be replaced free !!!

2> power steering making crazy noises in the morning....$600 for the repair....lucky enough i came across this forum and a thread for PS whine....done for free !!!

so they will charge you for the part/labor...they are commissioned....you gotta do your research beforehand !!!
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:11 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
reading first post again- paid 119 for ps flush
yes they should remove the fluid and partial labor from that bill as its included with the recall
computer error on input by service writer- to make add on not full job price
Also got an oil change 30-40 bucks?

and the real biggie- was srs diagnosis ~100 bucks assuming no problem found or not warranty or recall covered so you paid for an hour or so of tech diagnostic time- even if it only took 10 minutes they get to charge a set fee if they want

Is that about how it actually broke down on the invoice?
yeah that is about how it broke down. I understand the oil change (i asked for it) and the diagnosis charge ( that price is ridiculous for 10 mins of work) but they raped me on ps flush. the also said they would recommend a new battery and front impact sensor.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:17 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Unhappy heard back from the service manager

Manager called me back and i proceeded to tell him that i felt misled and wanted to see what he could do for me. He starts to tell me that his service consultant has been there for 10 years and blah blah blah. Then he tells me that all that you get for ps fluid with the recall is 5 ounces no more!!!! he says only what was in the hose and that i shouldnt have agreed to it. I only agreed to because according to the consultant i needed it. He recommended a new battery and impact sensor but the ps fluid change i absolutely needed. I told him that i was contact Acura client services and that word travels fast amongest the acura community. He said that he would give me a call tomorrow morning if he can do anything for me.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:23 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

If I were you, I'd go straight to the GM at the dealership, talking with the service manager will probably be a waste of time. Be courteous, but if the GM starts giving you the runaround, then it's time to flip your shit. Like someone else said, it's a good idea to call Acura right then and there so they can figure everything out and you can get your money back.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:25 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Manager called me back and i proceeded to tell him that i felt misled and wanted to see what he could do for me. He starts to tell me that his service consultant has been there for 10 years and blah blah blah. Then he tells me that all that you get for ps fluid with the recall is 5 ounces no more!!!! he says only what was in the hose and that i shouldnt have agreed to it. I only agreed to because according to the consultant i needed it. He recommended a new battery and impact sensor but the ps fluid change i absolutely needed. I told him that i was contact Acura client services and that word travels fast amongest the acura community. He said that he would give me a call tomorrow morning if he can do anything for me.
This is the runaround. You may now proceed to flip your shit.

5 ounces is a puny bit of oil. Go into the dealership tomorrow and call Acura, and ask them what the recall amount of PS fluid is. Make sure the person you talked to on the phone is right there, and have the phone on speaker.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:26 PM
Instructor

I told him that i was contact Acura client services and that word travels fast amongest the acura community. He said that he would give me a call tomorrow morning if he can do anything for me.
I've done the exact same thing, and the manager of Acura Peabody MA said the exact same thing!
Needless to say I never heard from him again and I never went back there
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:44 PM
Race Director

Dude,

Either he's:

1. An idiot
2. A damn liar.
3. Both

Trust me, he doesn't want you to go to ACS or the general manager with this, which is exactly what you should do, ASAP.
Old 03-16-2010 | 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Just go ahead and call Acura. Document with them that he told you it's only 5 ounces of fluid (which is incorrect, btw) and what happened. The GM of that dealership will then be contacted by someone at Acura corporate, or the regional Vice President.

Bottom line is, he more or less told you to fuck off. So, file the complaint with Acura. Also, you can try filing a complaint with NHTSA, (stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration) which is the branch of the federal government that issues safety recalls. Manufacturers, by federal law, cannot charge you for recall repairs. If you can file a complain there, go for it. With all the crap going on with Toyota, they are taking the recall repairs for all manufacturers pretty seriously these days.
Old 03-16-2010 | 09:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WayneJay
Last year I replaced a cracked power steering reservoir on my Civic. At the time I let the engine run with one hose disconnected to pump all of the old fluid out. After installing the new reservoir, I put in new power steering fluid.
Actually if you just disconnect the return hose to the Reservoir and let the pump run it should empty what is in the reservoir quick but the pumping stops there and pump damage can start. The process to flush the whole power steering system is a more involved than just doing that.

--

The whole being charged for the PS Flush is so much garbage. I can't wait to read about the happy ending to all this that you deserve.

Quick Reply: i went to the dealership like an idiot