Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i went to the dealership like an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you agreed to a flush- and a price right?

The posted info above does not show a complete FLUSH as described by acura with the wheel back and forth to DRAIN the system- as in flush out the old fluid completely

T, this is wrong.

The replacement procedure posted does show the wheel back and forth to fully DRAIN the system (Steps 3 and 6).

And the recall says to DRAIN the fluid.

I am sure that the techs do like you say, lose as little as possible, and charge Acura the whole 3 bottles. But to charge the customer too is just plain wrong. No excuse.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by BradE

... Also, you can try filing a complaint with NHTSA, (stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Adminstration) which is the branch of the federal government that issues safety recalls. Manufacturers, by federal law, cannot charge you for recall repairs. If you can file a complain there, go for it. With all the crap going on with Toyota, they are taking the recall repairs for all manufacturers pretty seriously these days.

That is a seriously F'ng good idea.

Write a letter to NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/) explaining that you were charged for part of the recall repair AND that according to the Service Manager they do not perform the repair as specified in the documentation Acura provided to NHTSA (i.e. the recal TSB/Repair Procedure).

cc:
Genreal Manager
Service Manager
Acura Corporate

You'll have a trunk full of Acura swag in no time.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
drain ~as needed~ is the standard applied when the job is done
referancing a service book area and stating to follow it exactly- are different things

I didnt read the fine print with my glasses on -but unless it specifies ALL fluid must be replaced, what I saw was : reuse good fluid or replace if contaminated

Because of the way it was represented to the OP- the GM of the dealer is who they need to speak with next to advise of the situation.
then 1-800-382-2238x5 acura care, where a real acura corp rep will contact all the parties at the dealer to get their story then contact you to see what will make you happy

Acura says all 10s- perfect satisfaction on the survey card you are supposed to get when you pick up the car- if not 100% satisfied they are expected to make it right BEFORE you leave (angry and headed online~)
anything less than 10s is a FAILING grade to corp- bonus checks rely on those survey results. If you file a bad report, acura corp calls you to find out whats wrong!

the SM loves that writer because they upsell on every car,,,one way or another

OR- their tech always reports each car NEEDS a ps flush now,easy money job for the tech (trying to make up money for self or dealer as recall work (paid by corp) doesnt make the shop the same $ as retail work does)
Tech list few other items that can be now or later.
The writer takes the techs word and calls customer to SELL the job- thats their JOB

I would be more upset over a 100 dollar charge to diagnose a 400$ part they dont have
for the SRS,,
guessing this car was in an accident- still clear title or salvage?

Head to the junkyard/auto recyclers for one of those parts

Ive worked in the biz a long time and am trying to explain the dealer side- not condone or excuse it- just so you understand where they are coming from: living in a day to day survival mode of keeping 50 people employed.

the service dept is what supports the entire place, sales dept exist to give service new cars to work on, but the long term money is in service

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-17-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Team Owner

mentioning acurazine.com in the conversation with GM- SM and corp can go a long ways, though some will deny knowing of us, there are actually many SMs on here!!
Knowing a thread with a great amount of interest/activity has been started on this exact car/dealer can move things along

a Happy Customer tells 2 people- if you liked a movie you probably told 2 friends to see it right?
In the Old Days: an unhappy customer told 11 people-
Now they go online and tell 11 million-as search engines can pick thru azine for things like `problem + dealer` when the next guy is looking for a place to buy or service their product... tomorrow or years from now

Too bad some people forget that when operating the biz
Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

referancing a service book area and stating to follow it exactly- are different things

I didnt read the fine print with my glasses on -but unless it specifies ALL fluid must be replaced, what I saw was : reuse good fluid or replace if contaminated

Because of the way it was represented to the OP- the GM of the dealer is who they need to speak with next to advise of the situation.
then 1-800-382-2238x5 acura care, where a real acura corp rep will contact all the parties at the dealer to get their story then contact you to see what will make you happy

Acura says all 10s- perfect satisfaction on the survey card you are supposed to get when you pick up the car- if not 100% satisfied they are expected to make it right BEFORE you leave (angry and headed online~)
anything less than 10s is a FAILING grade to corp- bonus checks rely on those survey results. If you file a bad report, acura corp calls you to find out whats wrong!

the SM loves that writer because they upsell on every car,,,one way or another

OR- their tech always reports each car NEEDS a ps flush now,easy money job for the tech (trying to make up money for self or dealer as recall work (paid by corp) doesnt make the shop the same $ as retail work does)
Tech list few other items that can be now or later.
The writer takes the techs word and calls customer to SELL the job- thats their JOB

I would be more upset over a 100 dollar charge to diagnose a 400$ part they dont have
for the SRS,,
guessing this car was in an accident- still clear title or salvage?

Head to the junkyard/auto recyclers for one of those parts

Ive worked in the biz a long time and am trying to explain the dealer side- not condone or excuse it- just so you understand where they are coming from: living in a day to day survival mode of keeping 50 people employed.

the service dept is what supports the entire place, sales dept exist to give service new cars to work on, but the long term money is in service
the car was never in an accident i bought a month ago with a clean carfax and i havent hit anything.. the light just cam on about a week ago
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts

I didnt read the fine print with my glasses on -but unless it specifies ALL fluid must be replaced, what I saw was : reuse good fluid or replace if contaminated....
So let me get this straight....You're saying Acura just put that reference to the service manual in there for shits and grins? Really all they're asking the tech to do is just drain the hose? And if the fluid that is drained from the hose is bad, no problem, the tech just replaces it with new fluid? The rest of the bad fluid in the system which the tech didn't flush out is fine to stay in there, no need to drain it?

NO, NO, NO. That is why Acura says to drain the whole system....period. Then, if the fluid is good, you just save it and put it back in. If it's bad, you replace it with new fluid. You sure as hell don't charge the customer $100+ for a PS flush
Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM
i am so smart S M R T

Exclamation Update Svc manager said he will call me this morning

well it is 10:30 eastern standard time and still no call. I guess he is just blowing me off like some of you suggested.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Race Director

Dude,

You're just like an ass pimple to them: ignore it and hope it goes away.

Time for you to get infected and inflamed!!

You've been given the resources to contact, it's up to you. We've done all we can...That is, unless you reveal the name of the dealership....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only thing you are able to fight for is a refund for PART of the ps fluid flush. You agreed to it, so you have to pay for it.

I dont mean to be an ass but that was an amateur move. My wife falls for the same stuff (like a engine flush at jiffy lube).

The recall dose not say any thing about a FLUSH. Like you said he told you, you needed a FLUSH and you agreed.

I do my oil changes but one day i got a coupon in the mail for an oil change for $15 (i was due anyways) so i went to the dealership and the service tech said "Your service light was on and i ran the code. Your due for an oil change, tranny flush and a tire rotation" i said "Do you think i'm stupid? I just got brand new tires 2 weeks ago. There is no code in the system that tells you i need a tire rotation, and my tranny fluid is good for another 20,000". when i was in the waiting room the manager came up to me, apologized and gave a coupon for one more free oil change.

You have to do your research befor you go to any dealership. i forget who said it but they are right the techs are tricky salesmen.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:34 AM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01clsstock
well it is 10:30 eastern standard time and still no call. I guess he is just blowing me off like some of you suggested.
Like many of the other posters, I think you're definitely being treated badly and you should start the process with ACS immediately. IMO, the worse that can happen is that the SM actually calls you back and make things right. If by some miracle that happened, you could simply withdraw your complaint.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
So let me get this straight....You're saying Acura just put that reference to the service manual in there for shits and grins? Really all they're asking the tech to do is just drain the hose? And if the fluid that is drained from the hose is bad, no problem, the tech just replaces it with new fluid? The rest of the bad fluid in the system which the tech didn't flush out is fine to stay in there, no need to drain it?

NO, NO, NO. That is why Acura says to drain the whole system....period. Then, if the fluid is good, you just save it and put it back in. If it's bad, you replace it with new fluid. You sure as hell don't charge the customer $100+ for a PS flush
I don't think he's saying that at all.

What he is saying, if I understand correctly, is that the Service Manual and Recall Notice are the Acura Corporate correct and official procedures. BUT, what happens in real life on the shop floor may not match that procedure AND still be just as effective. With the added benefit to the dealership that it costs less.

The potential downside to that is (obviously?) that a tech or dealership might do a procedure seems acceptable, but later turns out to be problematic.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I don't think he's saying that at all.

What he is saying, if I understand correctly, is that the Service Manual and Recall Notice are the Acura Corporate correct and official procedures. BUT, what happens in real life on the shop floor may not match that procedure AND still be just as effective. With the added benefit to the dealership that it costs less.

The potential downside to that is (obviously?) that a tech or dealership might do a procedure seems acceptable, but later turns out to be problematic.
The real problem is most dealers are greedy pieces of crap, and they cut corners on recall repairs so they can bil Acura the full amount, but don't do all of the work. EVERYTHING for these people is a profit source.

I would imagine Acura wouldn't be very happy with dealers cutting corners on recalls, if it causes issues then Honda as a company can get in deep shit with the feds. With the Toyota situation, the feds aren't playing games with this stuff right now.

To the OP, if you have the money, you might want to contact an attorney. The problem is the attorney fees would likely be more than the cost of the flush you were charged for. But if you are fighting just for the principal of it, get an attorney to send a not so nice letter to the dealer on your behalf, I bet within a week you'd have a refund check.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Angry called acura ACS!!

i never recieved the call back from the service manager. So i called ACS at about 11:30 and logged a complaint. They seemed alarmed that the SM only said you get 5 ounces of ps fluid no more and said they will have the case manager call me back. If the Sm had made an atttempt to call me or in any way rectify the situation we could have worked it out, but his lack of customer service is unacceptable. Is this how you deal with an upset customer Morande Acura? Before i went to this dealership i used to go to executive Acura in North Haven. I felt like i was treated like gold there and valued. Morande Acura should be embarrassed by there customer service!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM

i never recieved the call back from the service manager. So i called ACS at about 11:30 and logged a complaint. They seemed alarmed that the SM only said you get 5 ounces of ps fluid no more and said they will have the case manager call me back. If the Sm had made an atttempt to call me or in any way rectify the situation we could have worked it out, but his lack of customer service is unacceptable. Is this how you deal with an upset customer Morande Acura? Before i went to this dealership i used to go to executive Acura in North Haven. I felt like i was treated like gold there and valued. Morande Acura should be embarrassed by there customer service!!!!
Morande Acura

GL OP!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Racer

I went to Acura of Valley Stream to get my recalls done and they wanted to charge me like 300 dollars plus labor for a new power steering pump. They said it was "damaged". I was also having a problem with the car running lean and they wanted to replace all 6 fuel injectors!!

I laughed in their face, got my recall done and left. The car too lean was just bad gas and the power steering pump never gave out and was at like 10,000 miles before my TL got stolen/chopped.

Stealerships man...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 PM

wait a minute.. Morande Acura = Moran de Acura = Acura Moran

Old 03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dealership tried to get me the other day as well. I went In for warranty work, to replace my Inner door handles because the Chrome stuff was bubbling. I told them to also inspect the front brakes because they shake at high speeds when braking. They called me a few hours later and said I need a tire balance which I had done 3 days prior and I told them that when I dropped off the car. They said I also needed new front rotors and pads because my rotors were previously "cut" and too thin, and there were aftermarket pads installed and not the right ones. They then proceed to tell me that the tire balance is $50 and the "Front Only" brake job Is $750. This is on an 07 TL-S by the way. I laughed at the lady and said are u joking me, Ill do It myself and save $500. They were trying to trick me into something I didnt need.

Last edited by spcslyusarmy; 03-17-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Racer

Acura of Valley Stream also tried to tell me my rotors and pads in the back needed to be replace and tried to charge me $360 for resurfaced rotors and pads. I told them to go stick it. I wish there was a decent Acura dealership in NYC. I have never tried Acura of Manhattan but I am sure unless you're going in there with deep pockets, you won't get good treatment.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
i am so smart S M R T

update

The service manager called me back and said that he wished i had contacted him back before calling Acura client services. I reminded him that HE said he was going to call me back in the Morning. ( he never did i had to call him to get a call back). He and the GM did not like the fact that i called ACS. He said he is going to try and do something for me and will call me by friday.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 PM
AZ Community Team

The service manager called me back and said that he wished i had contacted him back before calling Acura client services. I reminded him that HE said he was going to call me back in the Morning. ( he never did i had to call him to get a call back). He and the GM did not like the fact that i called ACS. He said he is going to try and do something for me and will call me by friday.
Give 'em hell.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everyone else! The SM knew that you shouldn't have to pay for anything on the recall. His lazy ass couldn't get back to you soon enough, and..........well it should have to come out of his pockets(the stealer) and comp you for some future service or somthin!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He and the GM did not like the fact that i called ACS.
"And I did not like the fact that you lied to me, misrepresented the terms of the recall, and fraudulently tricked me into thinking I had to pay for part of the recall."

Oh, and for you guys arguing over whether or not they have to drain or flush the fluid, the first instruction on the recall documentation is "drain the fluid." It does not say "Drain only the fluid that is in the hose, and leave the rest of the fluid in the car so that you don't have to pay for it." And it does not say "drain the fluid, and if contaminated, only use enough new fluid to fill the hose, and then fill the rest of the system up with the contaminated fluid." It says "drain the fluid."

I don't know how to drain the fluid without following Acura's procedures to drain the fluid, and that involves replacing ALL of the fluid.

Last edited by shadowkahn; 03-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Fuck ya OP!

See this is exactly why if I need ANYTHING from the dealership I make the two hour drive to Sunnyside Acura in Nashua, NH. My mom has worked there for eleven years selling cars, and I know all the service managers and a few of the techs. They always treat me good there. Even if my mom DIDN'T work there, I would still go because they treat you like gold.

I'm the type of person where if I have just ONE bad experience somewhere, that's all it takes, I'll never go back.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Its really easy to drain the fluid without a full `book drain` by removing the bad hose and quickly installing the new hose,, very little fluid will be lost
Do the job a few times and you know how~

Depending on what time of day you spoke with the SM and GM, and what was happening today in their life:
they may have been in meetings or something where a call to you was not possible in the AM, you called corp feeling the SM/GM blew you off- (which they probably did)

So when they get the call from Corp-without having tried to resolve directly with you- its never a good thing for them!!

Corp doesnt want to hear from you until after you have exhausted your efforts at the dealer level with managers, but this case is so strange, and yet so common...

Maybe it will start an acura internal investigation of dealers and how much they are really doing on recalls- the SM will come up with a story to cover the SW,,made a mistake- very sorry- here is a refund, can we detail the car for you or a few free oil changes to make you happy?
I still have both those waiting at my dealer for some bad customer service--as if I would let them detail and mistreat my car in the oil bay

remember the tech gets paid by the job- not the actual time spent on it, do in 20 minutes get paid 1.2 hours, go on to next one and make another 1.2--you could bill/get paid for 3 labor hours in just an hour, hour after hour on a good day
A great tech has billed 8 hours by lunch, or 12-15 for the day!!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

for the SRS part- ask for some goodwill warranty on that!!
Corp regional warranty rep normally authorizes but with corp already on your speed-dial

Gen2 got a 10 year 150kmiles SRS extended warranty,,,think gen3 has some carryover problems,,like our transmission failures..
gen2 got 7.9/109 trans warranty by court case too

If you owned the car since new and never had an accident...part should be working
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

I guess the amazing part of the story now is the GM wants till friday to `see what they can do`
Its very simple
tell office girl to cut a check for the amount of the flush and refund it to customer in full

Anything beyond that-- that involves some dealer freebies...I would pass on.
Do you think they will have happy memories of this car and its owner...not likely IMO
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Give 'em hell.

Morande Acura
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 PM
i am so smart S M R T

I guess the amazing part of the story now is the GM wants till friday to `see what they can do`
Its very simple
tell office girl to cut a check for the amount of the flush and refund it to customer in full

Anything beyond that-- that involves some dealer freebies...I would pass on.
Do you think they will have happy memories of this car and its owner...not likely IMO
yeah pretty much he was like maybe i can give you some free oil changes or service, but i am thinking the same thing. Do i want to bring my car back to a place where i am pretty sure the HATE me? The funny thing is that he said the GM was thinking about giving me a refund or something until i called acura client service.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

yeah pretty much he was like maybe i can give you some free oil changes or service, but i am thinking the same thing. Do i want to bring my car back to a place where i am pretty sure the HATE me? The funny thing is that he said the GM was thinking about giving me a refund or something until i called acura client service.
Still thinking?? they should have refunded and apologized for lying...

I would never go back to Morande other than picking up refund check. Go to Executive Acura in North Haven.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Dave Chappelle/Rick James: "FOUR THUMBS DOWN!"
Old 03-17-2010, 08:23 PM
AZ Community Team

....The funny thing is that he said the GM was thinking about giving me a refund or something until i called acura client service.

More mis-direction (IMHO). My guess is that the GM didn't know squat until the call from ACS. I might be wrong, but I don't trust 'em.

Regardless, if it were me, I'd only be satisfied with a refund and once I got that, consider it a win. Anything else is just gravy.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
'06 TL 5AT NAV Anthracite

They're really piling the BS on thick. The only thing they're sorry about is that they now have ACS on their back and will likely have to give you a refund. The line about the GM "thinking about giving" you a refund is more BS on their part. It's like... What is it for them to think about. They never should've sold you the "service" and when you called them on it, they should've made it right and given you their phony apology. The only reason they would've wanted you to call them again is because if they realized you would involve ACS, then they would've tried to pacify you with the refund and/or freebies. Then they would've avoided getting in trouble with ACS.

I'm glad you called ACS, and I hope they catch hell as they deserve it. This stuff (and other dirty tactics) is so commonplace in dealerships (from sales, to service to finance) and they wonder why people dislike and distrust dealerships. They bring it on themselves.

Last edited by WayneJay; 03-17-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The service manager is just handing you a bunch of bullshit because he's pissy his boss got a call from corporate about this. He, and the GM, are likely going to hear from a regional vice president at Acura, and I'm betting he probably isn't going to be very happy about a dealership pulling this shit on repairs that are required to be free by the federal government. Especially when recalls are all over the media these days thanks to Toyota.

You will end up getting a refund out of it, but expect him to piss and moan and drag it out as long as he can. Since Acura is now involved, it's no longer up to the dealership, they will do as they are told.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
Good Read...looking forward to seeing the outcome.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Wow i read all post! GL with everything and update us with the outcome!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Race Director

Of course they are not happy you called ACS. They got caught with their pants down. Don't settle for anything less than a refund for the flush. If they won't agree to that, then don't agree to anything. Tell them you'll talk it over with ACS. You now have their attention, don't lose the bubble now!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Race Director

Mark Pedemonti, General Manager
markp@morande.com
860-828-1100

http://morandeacura.com/Staff.aspx

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-18-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Racer

This situation would make a great episode of Undercover Boss. Get the Acura CEO as a entry level sales rep at Morande and get the whole place shut down.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Sometimes the dealer service department are just scumbags... On my TL, a few years ago, I had the radiator replaced because a rock took it out... A few WEEKS (notice I said weeks) later, I brought the car in for non-related servicing.. And the dealer said that I needed to pay for a coolant flush. I asked them to look up my service records and tell me if my radiator was replaced less than 4 weeks prior... After confirming this, they started backpedaling and said they were going to ask their mechanic why he said I needed a flush....

Another time, they said I needed new tires. I asked them if they even looked at my tires, becuase I had just bought 4 new tires the WEEKEND PRIOR. Again, they backpedaled and admitted they did not look at my tires, but were just going by the mileage on my car....

Quick Reply: i went to the dealership like an idiot