3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate that 6 Speed (speaking my mind)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Amen to that. I wrote the following response on post #29 of this thread.

"Yeah.. kinda takes the American product down a few pegs to have to put it in a foreign car."

I find it a little strange, a little offensive, that some "Americans" seem to find a problem with their "Americanism". But then again, that is all fuel for a different thread I suppose.
I should add to this that I can only hope that my '04 and '05 TLs turn out to be as reliable over their lives as the most reliable vehicles I have owned which have all been American - Fords. As I write this, the most reliable one is my currently owned 2001 Ranger pickup. Then comes my '88 Mustang LX 302 CID. My TL is tied with my '96 Contour SE.

Had a '77 Toyota Celica GT Liftback that runs in the reliable crowd, too.
and

Another side note, my brother leased and daily drove Ford Escape for a few years.... and didn't even change the oil for almost 2 years. Still took it up to Lake Tahoe for snowboarding on several trips I did bash him about it, but he reasoned that it was a lease and it didn't even hiccup the whole time. Its hilarious how when people talk about German cars, they love em... and as for the problems, they just sell em after their warranty is up. An American car thats perfectly reliable, they just shrug it off and ignore it.

And just to add - when I put in Pennzoil Synchromesh in my 1995 Integra with 160,000 miles, original tranny.... WOW! Shifting was pretty notchy before that, afterwards a friend commented that it shifted like a new RSX, ultra smooth. Like a hot knife through butter! Even after a cold start, it still went in gear without fuss. Soon to go in my POS '02 Camaro Z28 which runs absolutely great.

oh and FYI for those who don't know, red is for sarcasm.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharon Shoemaker
Hi All,

Well, my Acura dealer called yesterday - they came to their senses and said the messed up my transmission so bad the first time that they have ordered me a new one...YEAH!!!!!!!!

Still they were not willing to admit Acura is making a faulty product. But I'm getting a new one, so I am happy.

I will be sending my car guy husband out to buy me the GE Fluid and it will be put in ASAP.

Thanks you all for your wonderful wisdom and support.

Can't wait to get back into my TL!

SLS
Sharon, congrats on the new tranny. I hope you are as lucky as I was and get a good one the second time around.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the clarification, SouthernBoy. I guess Acura designed it for that reason as did Ford with the SVT Contour. As an answer to your question, the whole shifting gear process is smooth sailing. No jerking after releasing the clutch.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by backofmyac
Thanks for the clarification, SouthernBoy. I guess Acura designed it for that reason as did Ford with the SVT Contour. As an answer to your question, the whole shifting gear process is smooth sailing. No jerking after releasing the clutch.
Great to hear it. I do notice, like I mentioned, that if I hesitate between shifts with the clutch in, the engine will hold RPMs for just a moment. However, when shifting normally, the RPMs do fall normally (I have watched my tach when doing this just to check it).

I find the shifting action and the overall smoothness of upshifting and downshifting to be well above par with my '04 TL.. I have no complaints in that arena. My wife comments from time to time (and I ask) that she can't even feel the shifts for up and downshifting.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
and

Another side note, my brother leased and daily drove Ford Escape for a few years.... and didn't even change the oil for almost 2 years. Still took it up to Lake Tahoe for snowboarding on several trips I did bash him about it, but he reasoned that it was a lease and it didn't even hiccup the whole time. Its hilarious how when people talk about German cars, they love em... and as for the problems, they just sell em after their warranty is up. An American car thats perfectly reliable, they just shrug it off and ignore it.

And just to add - when I put in Pennzoil Synchromesh in my 1995 Integra with 160,000 miles, original tranny.... WOW! Shifting was pretty notchy before that, afterwards a friend commented that it shifted like a new RSX, ultra smooth. Like a hot knife through butter! Even after a cold start, it still went in gear without fuss. Soon to go in my POS '02 Camaro Z28 which runs absolutely great.

oh and FYI for those who don't know, red is for sarcasm.
I certainly wasn't of a mind to antagonize anyone or raise their hackles with my pro-American comments. It's just a little thing with me, that's all. We are the best in the world at most everything and I have no shame saying that.

As for my '04 TL manual (the '05 is an automatic and is my wife's - and mine), I expect to keep this car for some time because it is a good one, it still entertains me, and I enjoy it. Frankly, I like just about everything about it.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
9th Gear

Even the Rsx's have this problem. I'm not sure if there is any difference between all the honda/acura 6 speeds or not though. I'll be trying a fluid change myself on my 05 rsx-s and will see if it helps. If not, well it may be time to say goodbye to Acura. I love the car other than this annoying quirk.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by luk2004
Even the Rsx's have this problem. I'm not sure if there is any difference between all the honda/acura 6 speeds or not though. I'll be trying a fluid change myself on my 05 rsx-s and will see if it helps. If not, well it may be time to say goodbye to Acura. I love the car other than this annoying quirk.
Does make you wonder. I mean, synchronized manual transmissions have been around for close to 80 years and in common use for over 50 of those years so it's definitely not rocket science.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 PM
9th Gear

I just seen this made the news on a San Diego station. Here's a link to the video, it talks about the civic si. Hopefully this picks up steam and Honda/Acura address the issue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sS3lJxw72NM
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Can I get GM Synchromesh Friction Modified tranny oil done at places like Valvoline or JiffyLube?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Can I get GM Synchromesh Friction Modified tranny oil done at places like Valvoline or JiffyLube?
If you buy it yourself and take it in for them to use.. maybe. Depends upon their policy regarding the use of customer-supplied products.

If you have a place to do this, I would highly suggest doing it yourself, unless there is good reason not to. It is a simple job with a minimum of mess. You just need the tools, parts, and know-how and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by luk2004
I just seen this made the news on a San Diego station. Here's a link to the video, it talks about the civic si. Hopefully this picks up steam and Honda/Acura address the issue.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sS3lJxw72NM
That should stir the pot a little as word gets spread about the third gear problem. Honda might even acknowledge and fix the problem as more people find it's not just their car or they will risk another class action law suit. They will also have to get a fix in their production line if the problem is well known and sales drop because of it. I know, it's wishful thinking!

I still won't have them touch my transmission since the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified fluid solves the problem. No need to risk having more problems due to major dealer work and "new parts". Will there be another new and better fluid that works from Honda?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:13 PM
8th Gear

i had that same problem in my 06 si the reason i sold it... sometimes i could not get it to go into 3rd gear at alll...

really quit anoying..
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned

If you buy it yourself and take it in for them to use.. maybe. Depends upon their policy regarding the use of customer-supplied products.

If you have a place to do this, I would highly suggest doing it yourself, unless there is good reason not to. It is a simple job with a minimum of mess. You just need the tools, parts, and know-how and you'll be good to go.
I'm a knowledgeable person and have passion for cars but I'm no mechanic! I would want the mechanics do it for me. I will check Valvoline and JiffyLube to see if they would do it for me... thanx!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
well you better go ahead and dump it then

but syncrhomesh will make that problem go away for good.

I also often have a hard time going into 3rd gear, really pisses me off.

Are you positive about this. Will it effect the warranty ???
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I also often have a hard time going into 3rd gear, really pisses me off.

Are you positive about this. Will it effect the warranty ???

I dont post any info unless I am sure. I wont even begin to explain what i went through.

You should know if you read this thread. Just put it and dont even give it a second thought. Why worry about warranty unless the fluid ruins your tranny. If anything this fluid is your tranny's best friend.

Even if you had any issues (which nobody to date has had) the dealer is too fucking stupid to know what the hell you put in there anyway........unless you tell them
Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^ w3rd. I decided to do the change yesterday and I could tell the difference immediately! Shifting into reverse and all the other gears was like butter! It doesn't feel notchy any more.

I also have a problem that maybe some of the more mechanically inclined members can assist with. When I went to tighten the overflow drain plug, I had over tighten it and it snapped. Rather than hijacking this thread, you can read the rest of my problem here https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/does-anyone-know-if-new-02-stereo-can-work-99tl-if-so-anyone-selling-174768/ and see if it's possible for the dealer to help with my unfortunate circumstance.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
my buddy has an 04 with over 80K on it. hes never had a the problem either.

but we put the GM shit in it a couple months ago just because he wanted to do a fluid change. he said it feels a bit smoother.

I guess there are a few that dont have the issue.

meh, it doesnt matter. the GM fluid works and works well.
Jumping in a little late here but Trance is talking about me.

This fluid is BY FAR the most noticeable fluid I've put in my car!! I've done all the other synthetics...engine oil and brake fluid...I've even added teflon to my engine (TX7) and nothing has a more immediate difference in what you feel in the car than the GM stuff. Now second to that is probably the teflon in the engine oil but I'll save that for another thread.

Thank you Trance for finding this out!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Or use your muscle.

Since the 3rd gear doesn't act up on you everytime just use your muscle and put it into 3rd gear hard everytime. Then you know the gear will go in no matter what. That's how I have been doing and it works.....

No muslce shifting for gears 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6.
Muscle shifting for the gear 3.

I'm actually used to it now.....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Now for racing though, you definitely need GM Syncho Friction Modified fluid since there is no time for bull sh#t...

But for those who want to work out their arms try my method... muscle power, LOL.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
Or use your muscle.

Since the 3rd gear doesn't act up on you everytime just use your muscle and put it into 3rd gear hard everytime. Then you know the gear will go in no matter what. That's how I have been doing and it works.....

No muslce shifting for gears 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6.
Muscle shifting for the gear 3.

I'm actually used to it now.....

I'd be careful doing that. This is not a mid-60's Muncie box (American 4-speed). You could damage the blocking rings, the shifter forks, and/or the linkage. Just a friendly word of caution.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mn2trance
^ w3rd. I decided to do the change yesterday and I could tell the difference immediately! Shifting into reverse and all the other gears was like butter! It doesn't feel notchy any more.

I also have a problem that maybe some of the more mechanically inclined members can assist with. When I went to tighten the overflow drain plug, I had over tighten it and it snapped. Rather than hijacking this thread, you can read the rest of my problem here https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174768 and see if it's possible for the dealer to help with my unfortunate circumstance.
This is why you must use a torque wrench. One other member had this happen to them for the same reason (no torque wrench). I think the specs are 8.3 lb/ft for the check (sight0 plug but I'm not certain.. I could look it up in my Service Manual.

Yes, the dealer can help with this (providing you get someone who knows what they're doing). Or you can take it to an independent shop for the fix.. or even do it yourself.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
This is why you must use a torque wrench. One other member had this happen to them for the same reason (no torque wrench). I think the specs are 8.3 lb/ft for the check (sight0 plug but I'm not certain.. I could look it up in my Service Manual.

Yes, the dealer can help with this (providing you get someone who knows what they're doing). Or you can take it to an independent shop for the fix.. or even do it yourself.
I did use a torque wrench torqued down to 8 lb/ft. I didn't hear it click nor did it provide any resistance and that's why I thought it wasn't tightened enough. My friend did have an Easy Out, but he didn't have any other way to get to the broken bolt with it.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mn2trance
I did use a torque wrench torqued down to 8 lb/ft. I didn't hear it click nor did it provide any resistance and that's why I thought it wasn't tightened enough. My friend did have an Easy Out, but he didn't have any other way to get to the broken bolt with it.
Yeah, I saw you had used one after I posted that response. You can buy a kit that will retrieve the part of the bolt that is still in your transaxle case.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:06 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
Just cause you got it from the chevy dealer...doesn't mean it was the correct fluid....i went to a GM dealer...and specifically asked for SYNCHROMESH Fluid...he gave me regular M/T fluid..and told me it was the same....at that point...i took the 3qts and threw it on the ground...and told him he was a moron....i then went to a Pontiac/Buick dealer...and the parts guy gave me the right stuff, also told me the GM dealer i went to had incompetent dumbass' working there....and is why he quit and went to the Ponti/Buick dealer...

On another note....its been about 3/4 days...and its still going strong...catching 3rd gear everytime....thanks to all for feedback/answers...another problem solved by 21st century internet searching....

Yeah, I went to a Pontiac dealership too, figured better luck with people that deal with GTOs (yeah i know there are vettes at the chevy dealership. Some of the chevy dealers really insisted on the non FM fluid, good thing I double checked with the part #.
Thanks Sopranos guy!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Originally Posted by backofmyac
No, thats not it. Lets say for example, I'm in second gear and I am getting ready to shift into third gear. I reach 3,000 rpms and I completely release the accelerator and press the clutch down all the way; the engine runs on for a bit while the clutch is pressed down, before I shift and before I release the clutch. On my gs-r when I release the gas and press the clutch, the rpms immediately drop, the engine does not run on. I think the new SI has the same problem, likely due to honda's drive by wire throttle.
It's kind of painful to hear the responses to this.

I believe he's referring to when you clutch in and the throttle is OFF, the RPMs climb a touch, probably like 1-200rpm. I was under the impression that all 6MT TLs do that?

oops, it was SouthernBoy's 3rd response...my apologies
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by realfresh
Yeah, I went to a Pontiac dealership too, figured better luck with people that deal with GTOs (yeah i know there are vettes at the chevy dealership. Some of the chevy dealers really insisted on the non FM fluid, good thing I double checked with the part #.
Thanks Sopranos guy!
Yiz welcome.

Those other stealerships probably insisted on the non-FM based upon what they had in stock to get rid of. If the bottle doesn't match the one in this picture ....

Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLin05
No, actually GM spells it without the first "h" ... "Syncromesh."

Anyhow, it's worked perfectly for me: not one bad shift into 3rd (or any other transmission issue) for over 15,000 miles now. I've driven sticks exclusively since '83, treat my car at least as well as Southern Boy , and my otherwise perfect 05 used to have the "3rd gear problem" several times a week since it was brand new. Since the famous "cure in a bottle," not one single time.

...well, based on your 15k mile flawless into 3rd gear report............i laid out $14/quart and picked up 3 quarts from the Chevrolet dealer in Shingle Springs.

(but on the plastic container - - - - that first "h" is there, bigger than life.

Can you provide an after 15k update for us, please?

ez
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
'06 6MT WDP

Originally Posted by ezshift5
...well, based on your 15k mile flawless into 3rd gear report............i laid out $14/quart and picked up 3 quarts from the Chevrolet dealer in Shingle Springs.

(but on the plastic container - - - - that first "h" is there, bigger than life.

Can you provide an after 15k update for us, please?

ez
I have over 25K on my 6MT since chaging the fluid. No problems. Never missed / grinded or popped out of 3rd since the change. It's probabably time to change the fluid again but you can't tell by shifting it.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=Mike 06 TL]I have over 25K on my 6MT since chaging the fluid. No problems. Never missed / grinded or popped out of 3rd since the change. It's probabably time to change the fluid again but you can't tell by shifting it.[/QUOTE]

...thanks Mike, you've made my (automotive) YEAR!

appreciate the swift input.

best, ez....
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Advanced

Smile

Dont know if anyone posted this, JUST a little FYI on the third gear pop out.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 AM
Advanced

Dont know if anyone posted this, Just a little more fuel for the third gear pop out problemhttp://consumerist.com/368037/honda-ignores-civic-si-owners-complaints-about-faulty-transmissions
Old 04-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Advanced

Smile

Dont know if anyone posted this. Just a little more fuel on third gear pop out and Honda.

http://consumerist.com/368037/honda-ignores-civic-si-owners-complaints-about-faulty-transmissions
Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 AM
Advanced

Smile

Dont know if anyone posted this. Just a little more fuel to the 3rd gear problem

http://consumerist.com/368037/honda-...-transmissions