Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huber Optic Tint? vs. 3M tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Huber Optic Tint?

Can someone please tell me why HO tint is better than others, if it is? HO tint seems to run into the $400 - $500 range vs. $225 for regular tint. Both w/ moleskin.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think one reason is that it's a ceramic tint and is less likely to interfere with navi function, unlike metallic tints. Please correct me if wrong.

You may also want to search, there are lots of threads on this.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think one reason is that it's a ceramic tint and is less likely to interfere with navi function, unlike metallic tints. Please correct me if wrong.

Not so much that it's Huper Optiks, but more so that it is a Ceramic based tint film. However, Formula One also offers a Ceramic film. And yes, they are expensive. I just had my windows tinted with Formula One.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob

HO has both ceramic and metallized films (they have a "ceramic" line as well as their "klasse" metallized line). they use the best layering tehnique and materials to get their UV and IR blocking characteristics, no dyes used (no fading).

HO is a performance film and the price reflects that. HO is highly recommended is hot sunny places like phoenix, etc. if you dont need HO performance than i believe FormulaONE film holds the #2 spot.

here's the link
http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm

HO ceramic film is thicker than most other brands, so the installer must be good at shrinking (and keeping the dirt and food out).

for the price of HO you must demand perfection from the installer (a few tiny pieces of dirt will get under the film, but few and tiny are the key words here).

HO was primarily into commercial flat glass industry, and recently started marketing into consumer automotive world...

my TL is the 1st tint i have ever had, i went with HO, it's my wife's car and she gets nothing but the best.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HuperOptik vs 3M tint? Which is better and why??

Looking to get my windows tinted. Want to get something that has reflective qualities, but still not interfere with the Nav. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm going to combine this with the other HuperOptik thread from tonight.

Edit--done.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:17 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by cvajs
HO has both ceramic and metallized films (they have a "ceramic" line as well as their "klasse" metallized line). they use the best layering tehnique and materials to get their UV and IR blocking characteristics, no dyes used (no fading).

HO is a performance film and the price reflects that. HO is highly recommended is hot sunny places like phoenix, etc. if you dont need HO performance than i believe FormulaONE film holds the #2 spot.

here's the link
http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm

HO ceramic film is thicker than most other brands, so the installer must be good at shrinking (and keeping the dirt and food out).

for the price of HO you must demand perfection from the installer (a few tiny pieces of dirt will get under the film, but few and tiny are the key words here).

HO actually reflects the heat and during cold weather keeps any warmth trapped.
It's a premium tint and I love it on my ZHP.

Also, keep in mind that HO only has a select few shops that they allow to install the tint. This is one way they keep workmanship tip-top.

You have a TL---get HO!!
Old 10-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Cruisin'

Sounds like you're basically deciding between the three ceramic tints. I just had to make the same decision recently, and did a whole lot of research on the subject, searching threads at one of the tinter's forums. Basically, you have 3 major ones to choose from: Huper Optik, Formula One Pinnacle, and 3M CS-Scotchtint (in descending order of price range).

Huper Optik is the most expensive by far, and has the advantage of being the thickest, having the most heat reflectivity (their key selling point), and being the toughest to apply properly (according to the tint forum). Also some people were complaining that it was a bit green tinted (do a search for pics), and it may be tough to find someone who applies it well in your area.

Formula One Pinnacle is midrange, has good heat/UV reflectivity characteristics, and is more of a standard film in most respects. It has a more standard charcoal hue.

3M CS-Scotchtint seemed to be the toughest to find in the area for me, and generally for some reason or another, seemed quite frowned upon by the professional tinters. There were a few who liked it though. I don't know much else about it.

All 3 of these are ceramic, so there's no NAV interference or AM interference. Basically I ended up choosing the Formula One Pinnacle, primarily because it has a more charcoal hue for my NBP, and also because it's cheaper. Also, if for some reason I get a fix-it ticket for the tint, it'll be easier to remove. So far, I'm loving it.