Sponsored by:

How to turn on fans in TL/TL-s

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
How to turn on fans in TL/TL-s

Hey gang,

Don't know if this has been answered yet. I've tried searching and went through several pages.

I was wondering if it is possible to just turn on the fans in our TL? I know you can turn on the a/c and turn off the a/c to just leave the fan on. But there has to be a better way right? I don't like the idea of turning on my a/c and instantly turning it off.

Please let me know what you guys find out =]
Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
not sure if i understood you fully but dont you just press the up arrow to turn on the air and down arrow to turn down/off the air? the only time ac pops up on the display is when you actually push the A/C button to either have it on or off.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by stevietennis
... I don't like the idea of turning on my a/c and instantly turning it off....
Why? Your not hurting the car or compressor...

Once the A/C is off, it stays off until you turn it back on by touching the A/C button or the Auto button (or the Defrost button, etc.). So, if you turn off the A/C once and then shut off the car, the A/C will still be off the next time you start the car.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 AM
Advanced

Lets say you get in your car and everything is off. You start the engine and you want to turn on the fan...Just the fan. How do you do it?

If i pretty arrows up or down the a/c turns on with the fan
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
i dont think there is a way you can do it. there is a little bit of lag between the button for fan speed and the compressor turning on. so if your quick enough of hitting the ac off buttom, then the compressor wont even turn on
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Yes you can run the Fans on without the compressor being on. It's called Econ mode, it's simple to do.

1.With the system on and you have already selected your temp, mode and fan speed you press the A/C button if the A/C is already on. FYI: Your screen will SAY A/C which will stand for the compressor being on.

2. When you press the A/C button when the compressor is on it will turn OFF the compressor and you will see on your screen A/C OFF.

3. This will allow you to run your unit into Econ mode, which means your using A/C unit without the compressor being on.

4. Do not use Recriculation for this mode, it will get very stuffy in the car depending on the condition's outside. You want fresh air from outside flowing in.

5. Usually best to use this mode when it's fall-winter season when having your A/C on a cold day is worthless.. Do not use this mode when it rains, it will help fog up the windows quicker.

6. There is another trick to this, your doing highway speeds with cruise control on, your doing 67 and it's approx 52-60 temp wise outside. Fan speed one might be strong for you, what you do is SET your temp and mode to where you want them and TURN OFF the entire unit. It will keep the air going into your vehicle regulated while still being off and through the vents you picked before closing. As you drive the outside air will still go through your vents but will not be as strong as FAN speed 1, it will almost be half of that speed. You will still get an airflow, the vehicle will still stay fairly cool only if the conditions outside are from 52-60 will be bareable.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Yes you can run the Fans on without the compressor being on. It's called Econ mode, it's simple to do.

1.With the system on and you have already selected your temp, mode and fan speed you press the A/C button if the A/C is already on. FYI: Your screen will SAY A/C which will stand for the compressor being on.

2. When you press the A/C button when the compressor is on it will turn OFF the compressor and you will see on your screen A/C OFF.

3. This will allow you to run your unit into Econ mode, which means your using A/C unit without the compressor being on.

4. Do not use Recriculation for this mode, it will get very stuffy in the car depending on the condition's outside. You want fresh air from outside flowing in.

5. Usually best to use this mode when it's fall-winter season when having your A/C on a cold day is worthless.. Do not use this mode when it rains, it will help fog up the windows quicker.

6. There is another trick to this, your doing highway speeds with cruise control on, your doing 67 and it's approx 52-60 temp wise outside. Fan speed one might be strong for you, what you do is SET your temp and mode to where you want them and TURN OFF the entire unit. It will keep the air going into your vehicle regulated while still being off and through the vents you picked before closing. As you drive the outside air will still go through your vents but will not be as strong as FAN speed 1, it will almost be half of that speed. You will still get an airflow, the vehicle will still stay fairly cool only if the conditions outside are from 52-60 will be bareable.
i dont think the question is whether you can run the fans without the AC its how can you turn on the fans when nothing else is on without turning on the AC. which at this point i do not think is possible
Old 10-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by stevietennis
Lets say you get in your car and everything is off. You start the engine and you want to turn on the fan...Just the fan. How do you do it?

If i pretty arrows up or down the a/c turns on with the fan
You can't, unless as I've already told you, you turned the A/C off before you last turned off the ignition.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Wire in a switch. I dunno why you would want to turn on the fans for no reason.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
You can't, unless as I've already told you, you turned the A/C off before you last turned off the ignition.
unless he's talking about the radiator/condensor fans..
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by VQPower37
i dont think the question is whether you can run the fans without the AC its how can you turn on the fans when nothing else is on without turning on the AC. which at this point i do not think is possible
Ohhhh.. talking about the cooling fans for the condensor and radiator. The only way to manually do it is wiring up a switch. I don't know why you would want to do that anyway because you will be running the car cooler than it should be. Your vehicle runs at its best when it hits the correct engine temp. There are various sensors that require input from coolant temp, intake temp, 02 sensors ect.. Tempering with the cooling fans to keep them on longer or when they aren't suppose to be on will send fails information to other sensors which in the end cause something to malfunction.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Exactly. If it was off when you turned it off, it will be off when you start it.

Normally what I'll do is since there's a delay of a few seconds from the time you start it to the time the compressor actually kicks on, I hit the AC button to shut it off before it ever comes on.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cant do it !!

I tried to give the voice command "fan speed two" from a "all off" system, and the AC compressor came on, although the "ac" was not showing in the info screen. So, as many of you have said, the only way is to turn on the AC and then turn it off.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Ohhhh.. talking about the cooling fans for the condensor and radiator. The only way to manually do it is wiring up a switch. I don't know why you would want to do that anyway because you will be running the car cooler than it should be. Your vehicle runs at its best when it hits the correct engine temp. There are various sensors that require input from coolant temp, intake temp, 02 sensors ect.. Tempering with the cooling fans to keep them on longer or when they aren't suppose to be on will send fails information to other sensors which in the end cause something to malfunction.

Since the engine/AC condensor fans in the engine bay are controlled by a relay, you just jumper a wire with a switch and the ECU has no idea if they're on or off. All it can do is send a signal to the relay to turn them on but it can not check to see if they actually came on.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Cool, thanks guys.

I was just wondering if there was a way. I use to sometimes leave my fans on when driving, especially if i had all my windows closed. I just found it weird that you can't turn on the fans without first turning on the a/c.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
A little off topic but I found that having the sunroof on tilt while having the whole system off completely still draws air through the vents as long as you have recirculation off. I find that better than using the system entirely since you get the right amount of air in the cabin without it actually blowing in your face.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ch33sE1
A little off topic but I found that having the sunroof on tilt while having the whole system off completely still draws air through the vents as long as you have recirculation off. I find that better than using the system entirely since you get the right amount of air in the cabin without it actually blowing in your face.
X2. I've found that having it tilted up at 70mph is about the same as having the fan on #2-3.