How many traded in 3.2CL-S for new TLs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004 | 08:09 PM
Advanced

How many traded in 3.2CL-S for new TLs?

Hello everyone, i'm inquiring to know about this b/c i'm expecting a "little" one in late Oct. and i'm trying to find out which would be more feasible for me to do - trade in my CL-S for a new TL or keep it. Many of you may notice me inquiring about the TLs. Well the reason why is because of this.

I was just wondering how many of you guys/gals have traded in your CL-S for the new TL as a result of expecting a child on the way. If you would please let me know about this so it will help in my decision making. Thanks in advance
Old 07-15-2004 | 09:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86792

It's TLS... may help a little bit... :o

Edit: To jrudd, I guess I knew what CLS is...
Old 07-15-2004 | 10:49 PM
Advanced

No...CL-S is the 2 door Acura made from '01-'03
Old 07-16-2004 | 09:08 AM
Intermediate

I did. Traded my 01 in on the TL. Only had the TL for 2 weeks today but so far I am glad Idid it. Except that I have been blowing money on my car for 2 weeks straight.
Old 07-16-2004 | 09:38 AM
Advanced

Re

Ok first of all, Rets shouldn't be up here if he doesn't know the difference b/t the CL-S and the TL-S. I think he's officially kicked off this forum.

Anyway onto Frechcu... did you trade it in as a result of having a child or just for the heck of it? That's what i'm trying to figure out. If people traded the CL in for the new TL b/c of the lack of space in the back seat for a child. Thanks again
Old 07-16-2004 | 09:46 AM
10th Gear

Traded in 2001 CL Type S in May. Probably not qualified to reply to post as not expecting family addition - maybe grandchildren. However along same lines, I found a number of friends unable to deal with entry and egress from back seat. It was a real easy place to get stuck in. New TL does not have the rattle issues some seem to have after 3000 miles. I think this car handles better than the CL - might be Michelin Pilot Sports. Have same starting problems others have identified - I only recall one instance of CL not starting first crank, including some awful cold weather. This car has done it to me a couple of times. TL mileage is 10 - 15% worse than CL. I think everything else about the car is better.
Old 07-16-2004 | 10:11 AM
Intermediate

NOt having any children I know of. But, the wife and I just wanted a little more room and more accesable back seat for and such. My other car is a Corvette so no room there. The Cl-s was a great car but I find the Tl to be a little more refined. No problems with the car as we speak but it is only two weeks old. I did trade the old car in on the new one, I think the two cars have some similiar traits but that the new TL is just a great all-around car with twice as many features for the price compared to any other car in it's class. :P
Old 07-16-2004 | 11:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by PossibleTL
Ok first of all, Rets shouldn't be up here if he doesn't know the difference b/t the CL-S and the TL-S. I think he's officially kicked off this forum.

thread
Old 07-16-2004 | 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Trade a CL-S for a 2004 TL

The 2004 TL is beyond comparison. Dump the CL and bury yourself.......... :fingerfawk:
Old 07-17-2004 | 05:30 PM
Pro

I have an '03 CLS-6 (dumped my 02 CLS because of the crappy automatic) .. and can say that there is not enough to the new TL to make me pay the money to "upgrade" .. I can spend $200 and get a CAI to make my engine produce the same horse power .. I already have the same cheap leather .. squeaks and rattles .. and no-start conditions .. I plan on upgrading the tires when the stocks are done (soon I pray)

The new TL is a fine automobile .. just not enough of a difference to make me want to change cars to another acura product.
Old 07-17-2004 | 11:54 PM
Instructor

I had a 2001 CL-S and my lease came up last October when I was going to trade it in for another CL. I liked the car THAT much. It had a few issues...tires vibrating and ate up the brakes, but I really liked that car. Much to my surprise the CL was discontinued so I got into a TL thinking I would LOVE it because I fell in love at the showroom.

I have 14k miles on the car now and the car is OK. I miss my CL...thought it was a better ride and the tire issues really suck with this car. The Navi is less reliable than my CL was. I use navi EVERY DAY and though the new features are cool, the CL was more accurate. My favorite feature in the TL has become XM Radio...I guess i could have added it to a CL. The bluetooth sucks and totally unreliable...i am tired of messing with it so i dont use it. The Memory seats long forgot my settings...tired of dicking with that too...
If I could go back to my CL i would...just add XM, a folding rear seat, and I'd be happy.
However, I just found out Im gonna be a dad so it looks like ill be keeping the TL for a while...i better go tire shopping.
Old 07-18-2004 | 12:14 AM
Advanced

Re

Thanks again guys. Well again i guess i'm still stuck at ground zero as far as what I want to do. Hey Black_Pride... i feel what you're saying as far as you being a Dad real soon. That's what i'm concerned about when it comes to my CL and the space. I'm like one of the other guys that posted a reply, i love my CL-S (my toy coupe) And i regret that i MAY have to get rid of it. I wish i was making money like that so i could just keep it and get the TL straight out. But it's not looking too good for that scenario.

I think what i'll do is just see how things go as far as putting a child seat back there and trying to picture and imagine how it'll be going in and out with it and the child. And it it becomes to unbearable to take then i'll go ahead and go on the record to say..."I'll be a proud owner of an 05 TL." Hope the changes will be worth while.

Thanks everyone. If you have anything else to share later on please feel free.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

I traded my 02 CL-S for the 04 TL. I think it was a great move. The 04 TL is so much more advanced in a lot of areas. Also I'm have a baby on the way and I traded my CL-S in becuase I wanted the same performance car in a 4 door. The best thing I ever did. I recommend the trade in.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:58 PM
Intermediate

I traded in a 2001 CL-S for a 2004 TL 5-Spd Auto. I should have kept the CL-S. The TL has been nothing but a complete pain in the ass. From the driveline vibration that never goes away, to the numerous rattles and squeaks in the dash, console, seats, to the drooping headliner, it has been nothing but a frustrating experience.

I bought the CL during the first year of production, and the only real problem I had was the transmission, which really wasn't much of a big deal since Acura was well aware of the problem and made good on the situation. What I do have a huge problem with is Acura acknowledging the driveline vibration, but showing a complete unwillingness to do anything to correct the situation.

If I had known I would have never even considered the TL.
Old 10-05-2004 | 11:40 AM
Instructor

If they bring back the CL i will gladly get rid of my now 1 year old TL and go back to it.
Even with a baby on the way, let my wife drive the minivan and I will get a coupe...
In fact i am thinking about getting rid of my TL early cuz I am just not excited with it any more...
Old 10-05-2004 | 12:38 PM
Instructor

I traded a 2k1 CL-S in for a 2k4 TL. My problem is I have three kids, 14,11 and 8. It was becoming a pita for the two younger ones to get into the back seat. Also, the TL overcame my real issues with the CL-S; shitty brakes and shittier transmission. The 6speed brakes and tranny are fantastic.

I've had no regrets going from a CL-S to the TL. Four Doors makes more sense without taking away any of the sportiness.

One thing to consider besides the inconvience of taking a child in/out daily from the car seat, which is a hassle, is how quickly you can access you child in an emergency. God forbid you ever get in an accident, but the larger openings and greater accessibility of the four door would help if you ever needed to " get out fast " from a damanged car or fire situation.
Old 10-05-2004 | 04:06 PM
7th Gear

I am going to break my lease on my 2K1 CLS and pick up a 2K5 TL. I was very displeased with the quality of my CL and actually considered buying another car outside of the Acura family . But after seeing the new TL's, I am hooked on Acura again. Hopefully this one will rekindle my faith in Acura.