3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many remember your first day with your new 3G?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Talking How many remember your first day with your new 3G?

Here's what happened.

My father drove me to the dealership to pick up the car, it was almost sunset.

I got the keys and everything, salesperson explains to me the manuals and roadside assistance blah blah.

I took the car, it was dark outside. My dad left. I was excited, new car smell. I entered my home address into the navi and then started following it. I was not familiar with the city from where this dealership is.

"next right turn" ok, i followed... "next right turn"... What the hell?

I saw the freeway entrance, i ignored the navi. "take the next exit"

No!! " make a u turn if possible"

Stop it!!!

After I got home i then realized the destination of my navi was the dealership. I felt stupid but happy at the same time. I got a new 07 TL!!!

Please share your experience if you remember.

Last edited by P1zzaman; 08-09-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
i drove over 100 miles the first day i got it because i was excited and wanted to take it everywhere. took pics and posted it on facebook and showed my friends the car.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 AM
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
I was 13 years old, summer of eighth grade.

Knew where my dad hid his keys so I decided to take it out when my parents were at work.

Got in the car.. had second thoughts, but before I knew it, my hand turned the key and the engine started. Lol

First car I ever drove and to this day, I'm still driving it.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Went to go pick it up at the dealership, but then ran into some complications cause of the loan so I had to wait a day on top of the 3 days I was already waiting on. Got so pissed called the office again and got directed to corporate, gave him my loan officers name and bitched about him and how he was slacking and sent me the wrong paper work for a totally different car. Next day I went in hopes it would get resolved, got there, paperwork went through. Then I had to wait again because I needed inspection done. At this time it was sprinkling, then when inspection was finished it was raining fairly hard. Got home and remembered I had a CAI. Good thing nothing happened.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Bought a new ASM 07 TL-S on a rainy day. Drove it home and had someone rear-end me and ultimately total it. For the short time I drove it, I was mesmerized. A week later, I went to go pick up a WDP 07 TL-S.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhizkid
Bought a new ASM 07 TL-S on a rainy day. Drove it home and had someone rear-end me and ultimately total it. For the short time I drove it, I was mesmerized. A week later, I went to go pick up a WDP 07 TL-S.
The WDP was your destiny!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Another AZ member and good friend had a 06WDP TSX W/NAVI and would come over at times to do modding and maintenance. One day he pulled up in a 08 WDP TL-S. Of course he just had to show it off to me. At the time I had an 04 TSX SSM. He told me about the great deal he got and I that I should go and check it out. So that evening my wife and I header over to the dealership. It's only a few miles from me. Sure enough, they were dealing. They were starting to phase out the 08's and it was the end of the month. Needless to say I traded in my 04 TSX for the 08 WDP TL-S. Like night and day, especially the tech upgrades. I knew the batteries in the Acuras were not the best and I had replaced in battery in the TSX with a Yellow Top. Asked my sales guy if I can swap it. BTW he's a member here too. He said "sure" and we pulled the cars around back and did the battery swap. Then off the lot I drove with a huge grin on my face!! Another member bought a 08 KBP that same evening.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
The salesperson spent an hour sitting in the car with me showing me all the bells and whistles. My head was spinning. I was so overwhelmed and mesmerized by the car I couldn't remember anything he told me!

It was pouring when I drove home and they had left the heat on high. I was driving on the highway and couldn't figure out how to turn the heat off, and I couldn't open the windows because of the rain. I was cursing all the way home!
The following users liked this post:
JmannTLs03 (06-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember my first day, because it is happening right now! Feels nice and I am still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles! Loving it so far though.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was a warm spring day, May 15, 2004. Baranco Acura (Metro Atlanta) prepped the car and had it ready. Since I requested the A-spec Kit, and factory chrome wheels it took them three days to get the car ready.
So I pull up the the Acura dealer and saw the prettiest, sportiest, baddest Acura on the planet. A bunch of dealers and customers were standing around it and leering. It looked like a Acura prototype (remember this was 2004).
I almost teared up !

Since this was my first (and probably last) brand new car, I ordered every option, including the car cover, trunk tray, sun roof visor.
One of the best purchases of anything I've ever made. 7 years and 193,000 miles later, she is still riding strong and turning heads !!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by genokan
I remember my first day, because it is happening right now! Feels nice and I am still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles! Loving it so far though.
Congrats and welcome to AZ! You may want to register her at www.myacura.com. Save your Navi and radio codes there for safe keeping.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember the first day. I got a call that the car had arrived and left work early to go to the dealership. I had to wait about 40 minutes because they were having a sales meeting. I spent the time walking around the car (no keys). During the finance part of the sale my salesman removed the $200 discount I had negotiated with the sales manager and he had to check with the manager to put it back in. While I was waiting two other salesmen (at different times) came over and asked if they could test drive the car – it was the first 6MT that had come into the dealership. I took a test drive with my salesman and after driving it for a few minutes I let my salesman try it out. He kept getting further from the dealership until I told him that I had to get home. I remember that on the way back he pushed it a little too hard for my taste - it only had 4 miles on the odometer when we started. I then hit the freeway for the 20 mile drive home - December 10, 2003.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
I have two first days.. the one is when I saw the car for the first time.. I went to the dealership to take a look at a couple RLs and was not sold on any, I could not get over that fact the interior felt smaller than the TL... then I saw the TL just sitting there.. WDP with Tints and it just spoke to me.. it was a 6MT and I did not know how to drive a 6MT... went home, convinced my wife I wanted it then the next day we went and bought it.. traded in my Alitma SE-R for it.. that should tell you how much I wanted the TL... well I bought the car and no one from the dealership would teach me how to drive stick.. I tried to read up on it and I was able to get it out of the parking lot into the adjacent parking lot.. it went that far and no further... finally called a friend to help and they ended up teaching me how to drive stick in a car I just purchased... don’t regret it at all
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Day after xmas in 08 visiting my parents in Sioux City, Iowa. I had no intentions of buying a car, but we drove by the dealership and i spotted my 06 AM and a couple Mazdaspeed 6's. Drove them both, they wanted a little too much on mazda's so i worked them on the TL. Hours later I was outta there, took my new (to me) car and picked up my brother and folks and went out to eat. I fumbled a little with the auto's shifter trying to parallel park, (damn you cool gated shifter).

That night had to drive 320 miles back to Fargo, ND, the last 150 miles the interstate was glare ice from a rain storm (rain in december up here is not normal), so my brother and i got to enjoy a little more time in the car while i was white knuckling it.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
a buddy of mine bought an 07' wdp type-s a few years ago...i fell in love with the car as soon as i saw it.

started saving my pennies and looking around for one, finally landed on a 07' nbp type-s w/ everything i wanted at a local dealer.

sold my 94' firehawk on a monday via eBay, test drove and picked up the 07' type-s on a tuesday. haven't looked back since.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
Test drove it, spent a week negotiating with the seller after going back down to SD for work. dad brought it home for me at the end of the week. Pulled up at night and almost peed myself seeing it sitting in the driveway.

Parents wouldnt let me drive out in it (after spending 2 hours driving from SD to LA at night) so I just sat inside and read the owner's manual and played with the audio system and HFL.

Last edited by ez12a; 08-09-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
New Year's Day-picked it up at 2pm....very excited!

Then, on the 2nd day, I almost got in a wreck. Some woman almost turned out in front of me-she didn't see me. I swerved to miss her-thank goodness.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I had to order mine and wait for it to come in. In the meantime I sold my previous car to a private party, so I had to ride my motorcycle to work for a few days before I could pick up the car. When I get there the finance guy says something about how they can't take my check from an internet lender. (BS I say.) Anyhow, they offer a comparable rate, so I'm whatever and drive off. I took it around to alot of people to show off that week.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 08-09-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
"How many remember your first day with your new 3G?"

Which one? Ive had four of them lol. I kinda sorta remember getting them. Two of them especially since I had to fly out of state and drive them home. One 6mt Type S I got from Kansas City, and the second 6mt Type S was from Dallas TX. I remember those fun days especially.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
"How many remember your first day with your new 3G?"

Which one? Ive had four of them lol. I kinda sorta remember getting them. Two of them especially since I had to fly out of state and drive them home. One 6mt Type S I got from Kansas City, and the second 6mt Type S was from Dallas TX. I remember those fun days especially.
Why in God's name would you get so many new TL's?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made it a surprise, no one even knew i was looking for a new car..not even my parents. No one believed me at first when i told them i bought it cuz i work a dealership they thought i had just brought it home for the night. Such a fun night tho, drove around for hours with my buddys taking pictures and just enjoyin the new whip. Fell in love with it immediately
Old 08-09-2011, 07:28 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I remember having my brother drop me off, picked it up and drove home. I remember pulling into my driveway and looking at the cutoff line of the projectors against my garage and just admiring my HIDs.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine a couple of months ago. i showed up to the dealer to pick it at 4 and did not leave until 6 or something, i got dropped off by my friend on my 3G eclipse (the car still looking sexy after all these years).

driving home i felt like i was driving a freaking spaceship so much interior space, the seats, the lights in the dashboard, the navi, the handling, everything felt like a dream. I opened the sunroof and aaaahhhhh yeeeaaahh. i even took the longest way back home.

when i got home my eclipse was parked on the driveway just looking at me. felt a little guilt but also happy for the new car. i will never forget my first day on my 3G TL
JmannTLs03 (06-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I remember the day because everyone forgot my birthday so I decided to treat myself. The GF at the time had an '05 TL and I really liked it. I knew I would probably end up with one sooner or later but the self pity sped up the process a little. So late Dec of '05 I got my '06 TL. It was nearly sunset when it was all done. I had never had a perfect reliable car before. Hell, I had never had AC before. Everything was just so perfect. For the first few months I would drive with no shoes on (illegal, I know) to save wear on the carpet. I pulled out of the dealer with 8 miles on the odo and immediately raced the GF's '05 lol.... seriously. I put about a foot on her by 65mph and shut it down.

This was my first brand new car and I drove it just to drive it. I wouldn't drive it in the rain or dust or even pick up fast food in it. I took a picture that same day when it hit 10 miles and again at 100 and 1000. I missed the 100,000 picture though. It took a while to get used to the blind spots. I let my father drive it the same day and as I was telling him that you have to turn your head and look behind you to change lanes due to the blind spots, he nearly changed lanes into someone.

Back at that time I got a lot of compliments. People thought bluetooth was so neat. I got weird looks from other drivers when talking on it because it wasn't common back then and they thought I was talking to myself. I remember how the Navi screen was larger than most at the time. The steering had great on center feel. It smelled like a new car for about a year. I wouldn't modify it in any way. Even got the oil changed at the dealer the first time. I could randomly ramble about the first day for hours. I remember it perfectly. A friend of mine that had an '01 Mustang GT manual laughed the first time I floored it that same day because it was so slow. He couldn't believe it when I beat him later that day.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I turned 18 last year and ... my birthday gift is a car which I choose by myself.There are many candidates, 335i, G35, IS350, A4. My friend own a TSX so he introduced me TSX and TL. The first car I drove is a ES350 so I feel more comfortable with V6 than V4 ( TSX, out of the play ). Let make it short, to me, TL is a very good combination between power and beauty. Find a black one is kinda hard and it even took me a whole week for the financial thing . Finally, I got my TL key and the words " drive safety " .When arrived home, I look at the car and ... "OMG". They forgot to put in the Inspection ticket .The next day, after finish with insurance, I had to come to the dealer to get the sticker, only 15 minutes to travel 10 miles ( because of the appointment ) . So it comes to the first time I'm in freeway and feel the Sport shift .

Last edited by boyhamdzui; 08-10-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
The day after the test drive, I confirmed the terms over the phone with the salesman, then had my wife drop me off to pick up the car. The transaction was less than an hour, but the salesman spent about 15 minutes going over various features, most of which I knew.
Driving out of the dealership, down several streets and onto the freeway on-ramp, I thought, "Well, this TL seems quiet, smooth and decently fast." While using a little throttle to get up to freeway speed traveling down the on-ramp, I looked at the speedo and thought before hitting the brakes so the TL could slow down from the unintended highly illegal speed it was traveling to the normal speed in excess of the limit.
I remember bringing the owner's and Navi manuals into the house after getting home, too.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

Fuck yea i remember it!! This past monday, I made the deal at noon. had it for 48 hours now.
I had the biggest dumbass grin on my face the entire drive from the license bureau.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked up my 07 type S in Georgia. I live in TN so on the way down my dad and I take interstate 75 of course. But on the way back I opt to take a drive through the mountains to get back home. Will always remember that drive home. I had owned (still do) a 1996 Ford Bronco so for me this car was a real treat. Taking curves at 70 80 mph felt amazing the car was just planted to the road. Still feels like a treat everytime I get in her and turn the key.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by RealG
Fuck yea i remember it!! This past monday, I made the deal at noon. had it for 48 hours now.
I had the biggest dumbass grin on my face the entire drive from the license bureau.
Just because my story wasn't as in depth as some of you other playas!

I also have a 2001 Lexus es300. I had driven that in to work monday morning and had a friend drive me to the license bureau. (took literally 35 minutes including the wait in line)

At the end of the day i had my bro drive my lexi home so i could rip my TL a little. Gotta say i liked lookin in my rearview and seeing my other car behind me. Felt a little bad for lexi because i put her in the garage and she stares at me everytime i come home now with my TL. Im actually in the process of selling her.

BTW. my TL is an 05, with 90,000 kilometers. Navi, Sunroof, Spoiler. bought her for 13k. I'll post some pics soon.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced

Well, I'm sure I will remember it....because it happens tomorrow! Made the deal yesterday, 2007 RBP TL-S, 6MT, Navi. Can't wait to take it for an intimate drive!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
DUDE it was one hell of an experience....went in to look for a Red TL with Beige Interiors on a 2004 5AT with 50K miles....about to sign the paperwork when I lay on eyes on this 05 5AT with 60K miles Black with Gray (at that point I thought the interior was black until I saw it on the 06TL)....and I told the dealer, "How much for this one"....instantly fell in love....

This was my first car so I didnt have car insurance....So to test drive the car I need insurance and to have car insurance I need to have a CAR....viscous circle...I ended up buying the car without test driving it and then got the insurance and drove the car....it was and still is magical
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
TL'er

Happened quite fast for me, Went to go look at an 04 TL with Navi, had a for sale sign in my BMW another guy walking around the lot noticed it and wanted to take it for a drive, Sold that car and bought the TL for 13k with 100km on it. Kinda miss the BMW but Acura way more reliable :P
Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by P1zzaman
Why in God's name would you get so many new TL's?
Well none of them were brand new I bought each one used not sure if thats what you meant. I have a perfectly legit reason behind each one.

First TL was a 2007 base/nav that I bought from a local Acura dealership. After the purchase I regretted not getting a Type S and also found out it had been in some sort of front end collision. All front end parts were not original. That was that I traded it in for an automatic Type S I found.

Second TL was a 2007 5at Type S. It was awesome I loved everything about the car. I owned that for a while however owning the Type S along with my C6 Z06 vette that you see in my avatar got a little expensive (and I got married). So it was either TL-S goes or the Z06 goes. I chose to sell the TL-S and get a cheaper daily driver. About a year later and I had the opportunity to sell the Z06 for 5K more than I paid for it. Couldnt pass that up so the Z06 was sold. This now leaves me with a not so fun daily driver......

My third TL was a 08 6mt Type S. Overall this car was great and I enjoyed driving it with the exception of one issue that neither myself or the dealership could figure out. It had some weird minor surging during normal acceleration and unless it was fixed I was not going to get over it. I sold the car 7 months later for the exact same price I paid for it....

Now my current fourth TL is a 2007 6mt Type S. Everything about this car is perfect including the way it drives and I plan on keeping this one for a while. We also have our first baby due this saturday so im thinking my car buying extravaganzas are over lol. This will likely be my last TL unless Acura does something pretty cool with the newer ones and for some reason I just dont see that happening.

Hope that answers your question lol

James
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Without a garage

Yeah I remember it. It was a rainy day back during the last weekend of October 2008. Got to the dealer, talked with our sales guy who we had set up a meeting with earlier in the week. My service advisor friend had been referred to this particular dealer by his boss. Said they would take care of us. And did they ever...

Anyways, after an hour or so (and them offering 7K for my 2003 TL Type S), we struck a deal. Like I said it was raining very hard so I couldn't see the paint very well. By the time I got home it was dark, so I didn't get to show it off too much. Got up the next day and washed her up. It was then I noticed small dings on the roof and lots of wax residue all over the car. Took it back to the dealer, picked it back up after they "worked" on the paint, and noticed it had swirl marks and holograms from HELL!

That was the start of a very bad back and forth game that lastes for 6+ months with Acura Pleasanton. I'll never get that time back...

Still, after all the bullshit, I really loved that car. I parted ways with her 3 weeks ago for a 2012 CBP TL Tech. This one has perfect paint! Yay!

FYI - My 2003 TL-S was traded in on an 05 Land Rover LR3. Land Rover gave me 11K so I took that deal! Long story for another time...
Old 08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
This will likely be my last TL unless Acura does something pretty cool with the newer ones and for some reason I just dont see that happening.
Rumor mill has it that the 5G will be on a shorter wheel base and Acura stated they are going to be staying away from their 'keen edge design'. I'm hopeful.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I remember it.

It was already 4 o clock in the afternoon.

Drove 2 hours to get to the seller.

Then it's 6. Drive the TL around. Purchase it.

Drove home (2 hour drive back) - it got dark out.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
It was a hot August day. My dad and I were on our way to look at new Honda Civics, but I convinced him to stop by the Acura dealer on the way to look at a TL that I had seen online. Saw it, it was in fantastic condition, I think he fell in love more than I did. He negotiated with them and got a great deal. The rest was history and I was one happy new driver. I still love Civics, but I can't imagine how boring that would have been.

The whole drive home, I was so paranoid, but so so excited.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
BRB..Shifting!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bought my car a month and a week ago. Came to look at the car went home and bought it 2 days laters on a Friday. Drove home (lived an hour and 15mins away) went to insurance, got insurance, went to rmv and found out the title was checked with the "inaccurate odometer" by accident, drove back to owner got him to sign the paper, by that time rmv was closed and had to wait over the weekend and for monday morning. Such a tease...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I flew to New York - La Guardia and seller picked me up and dropped me off. Money had already been handled through our banks so got keys signed a couple papers and was in New York where I had never been before.

Put Empire state building into Nav and off we were. Got lost as hell dropped car off at a parking garage and ended up drunk as shit on 3rd avenue NYC.

Slept in car (thank god seats folded flat) next to empire pizza on 5th Ave after going to a strip club in Brooklyn. Peytons play pen lol.

Went to times square next day then drove to Philly, spent a night there and drove to D.C. on Memorial day. Left next morning drove to Atlanta and spent a day and half with an old friend. Left there and went to Panama City Beach for a few days then drove it back to New Mexico.

2800 miles in 8 days the first week I owned it. Had a buddy of mine fly out with me.

Had a blast and love this car. Could have kept driving the seats were so comfortable.
JmannTLs03 (06-09-2012)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhizkid
no joking

Quick Reply: How many remember your first day with your new 3G?