Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Collect From Insurance Faq

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Collect From Insurance Faq

Well, quick history. TL got screwed up. Geiko covers only $2000.00 since the other party had no insurance. I ask Geiko if I can sue the party for the remaining of the money I am going to have to pay $7k around... and Geiko says I can't have any of the other party's information due to privacy issues.

So how the flying **** do I get the money from the other party? Seems like he did over 9k damage and only will pay 2 since Geiko will only go after them for 2. This is very frustrating. I am willing to offer a car part under $300 if someone gives an answer to me that works out in the end. $300 for 7k doesn't sound too bad of a deal...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My $0.02.

1) If they have no money than a lawsuit is rather pointless.
2) Why is Geico only covering $2000.00? Do you have any uninsured motorist on your policy? I know it is at least an option.

P.S.... sorry about your car.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
This thread reminds me of one similar posted recently

Did you used to be HelloKitty?

EDIT: similar but not, storys are close though. I could be wrong. Ron I see you looking too. lol
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Undercover Slacker

yeah, why only $2k?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:22 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by c0ntender168
Well, quick history. TL got screwed up. Geiko covers only $2000.00 since the other party had no insurance. I ask Geiko if I can sue the party for the remaining of the money I am going to have to pay $7k around... and Geiko says I can't have any of the other party's information due to privacy issues.

So how the flying **** do I get the money from the other party? Seems like he did over 9k damage and only will pay 2 since Geiko will only go after them for 2. This is very frustrating. I am willing to offer a car part under $300 if someone gives an answer to me that works out in the end. $300 for 7k doesn't sound too bad of a deal...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Duh! The "Other parties" information should all be in the POLICE report. It is PUBLIC information. Get the info from there. I also do not understand what this $2K max is about. Most insurance plans have a deductible. Could you be mistaking what Geico is saying? You probably OWE the $2K deductible and that Geico wil pay the balance.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:38 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
y only cover $2k from Geiko??? and you can get it from the police about this person who hit you.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Duh! The "Other parties" information should all be in the POLICE report. It is PUBLIC information. Get the info from there. I also do not understand what this $2K max is about. Most insurance plans have a deductible. Could you be mistaking what Geico is saying? You probably OWE the $2K deductible and that Geico wil pay the balance.
The police report of the accident can be obtained for a small fee (the complete report). I am not sure but I think you can get the cover page for free, but if you are sure to sue the other party then you should just pay for the full copy of the report.

Is there a deductible that high?? 2k? I know for sure there is 1k deductible so I guess there could be a 2k deductible >< . Also, c0ntender, try giving Geico another call to clarify how much your policy covers for uninsured motorist liability (or just check your copy of the policy). If it says 2k, then thats all you will get from your insurance.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I didnt even know it was possible to have only 2k uninsurured coverage. Mine is the same as the rest of the policy 100/300
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 PM
4th Gear

The police reports in my city do are not written sine the police said it was a civil matter. So I can't get the information from them. And it is 2k uninsured motorist coverage that I am getting, not 2k deductible. So folks, does it mean this guy gets away free and clear that easily?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Racer

The police reports in my city do are not written sine the police said it was a civil matter. So I can't get the information from them. And it is 2k uninsured motorist coverage that I am getting, not 2k deductible. So folks, does it mean this guy gets away free and clear that easily?
police reports are not written? ehh?? I know they don't do anything if it was on private property (like a parking lot or something) but if it is on the streets there should be a police report filed. Otherwise, how would the insurance company know if it was your fault or the other driver's fault? If you sue I think they have payment options, garnishing wages or something similar. Not sure though..
Old 01-30-2007, 02:27 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Waste of our time

Something is definitely "not right" with your insurance policy is they say they will only pay $2K (unless that is all the car is worth). However, it sounds like you may have blown it yourself by not properly filing a police report for the accident (was it an accident)? But then again this is the internet and you COULD be from another country where the laws and coverages are different so I guess I'll be the first to ask... Did this happen in the US? Was it on a public street or in a private parking lot? Why is it considered a civil matter instead of a traffic accident? etc.

If it's truely a "Civil" matter, then the police HAVE to share the contact information with you as there is no grounds for "privacy protection" (since there is no formal record). Late resort, hire yourself a $250/day investigator or go directly to your local news channel (action 9 or some such).

I've wasted enough of my time on a post without (1) enough information, (2) clear details about what happened, etc. Why don't you ask those close to you with the experience to deal with this (like a father, mother, grand-parent or gaurdian) rather than a bunch of faceless people on the internet who don't know or care about your situation?