How bad is it to drive without any air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008 | 03:03 PM
Instructor

How bad is it to drive without any air filter?

Hi I was wondering is it really bad to drive my car without any air filter? I wouldn't be driving on any dusty roads or anything just regular roads, and I want to see if there's a big difference in power if a lot more air gets in.

Also if you lease a car and decide you want more power...couldn't you just drive w/o an air filter and when the lease is over and you give the car back, put it back in?
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:09 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

The air filters primary function is to prevent large, usually uncompressble, items from entering the combustion chambers.. I would change the air filter, go with a K&N drop in filter, but sure as hell would not run w/o it..

If you like to modify cars then leasing is not the route to go; it's a waste for you financially to invest in something you're going to give back, and if you ruin the car then you end up having to pay at the end of the lease.

When you take the car in for service they're going to ask you where the hell the air filter is..

Oh and as far as power gains; minimal, unless the filter is horribly clogged - but you won't be gaining HP at that point, you'll just be restoring it. The problem isn't always the filter, it's the location the air is coming from, and the temperature. A good filter will allow maximum airflow, but if you're still using the stock setup [aka.. not a cold air intake], you're still feeding the engine with warm underhood air. Unless you plan on doing a CAI, spend $30 on a K&N and don't get the idea of going air filterless again
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

better have a flame suit for this one.
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:20 PM
Instructor

I mean if you're leasing it and don't want to void the warranty, you would just take out the air filter and put it back in whenever it was serviced and when you finish the lease. You could do the same w/ any mods really just replace it w/ stock when you bring it back in.

And I already do have a K&N, I didn't really notice much difference over stock, but from what I have read the more air the more power so I figure nothing blocking the air would be the most powerful. I'm prolly not gonna try this anyway cuz I'll have this car for a long time and I own it, but I'm just wondering.
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:25 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Go for it, cars don't really need an air filter anyway, it's just that those fat cat air filter salesman have made us think that we do.

Air filters are as useless as seatbelts.
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:33 PM
Instructor

It sounds like you have carefully thought out this plan. I'm sure your degree in engineering and your automotive background has led you to this decision, so who are we to judge?
Old 04-27-2008 | 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Go for it

Please be sure to send us the dyno video too.
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Its not the big hunks of debis the filter is blocking- as the micron sized particles- they go right past the TB and into the piston area where they dig millions of scratches in some very expensive metals.
Thats why the comparison of filters is made in Cubif Feet per Minute flow and Smallest size particle captured- usually 3 to 5 microns is as small as any will catch...
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:29 PM
Full of water...

Old 04-27-2008 | 06:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by chillout24
Hi I was wondering is it really bad to drive my car without any air filter? I wouldn't be driving on any dusty roads or anything just regular roads, and I want to see if there's a big difference in power if a lot more air gets in.

Also if you lease a car and decide you want more power...couldn't you just drive w/o an air filter and when the lease is over and you give the car back, put it back in?
Best case scenario: You will experience a slight increase in power. You will also considerably shorten the life of the engine.

Worst case scenario: You will destroy the engine and have to write a big check.

You have some responsibility to take reasonable care of the car. What you are suggesting is completely irresponsible.
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:46 PM
RAR

You should experiment. Try throwing various sized particles in there and see how large you can go before your engine blows to smithereens.

You can do anything you want to a lease, the only thing holding you back is personal integrity, character, and the chance of getting caught.
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:50 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Integrity
Old 04-27-2008 | 06:53 PM
Turd Polisher

It doesn't really make sense how .. you've gathered enough information to understand that more air = more power. But you fail to realize no air filter = ruined motor.
Old 04-27-2008 | 07:34 PM
Advanced

FAIL!

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:46 PM
07TL-CBP

The David letterman show will love to talk to you.
Old 04-27-2008 | 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

See all of the crap that's on the front of your car when you don't wash it for a couple of weeks? Multiply that times 10 and that's what will be going into your engine.
Not a good idea.
Old 04-27-2008 | 08:08 PM
Safety Car

oil for motor = good..... bugs n other crap= no good.
Old 04-27-2008 | 08:18 PM
Team Owner

You will gain no power and you will wear the engine out much faster. An air filter is more important than an oil filter and it's the tiny particles that wear the cylinders/rings out and get in the oil to attack bearings and other parts. Think about the power you're going to lose once the rings are gone and you have all that blowby.

The TL doesn't flow enough air in stock or modified form to fully take advantage of a drop in K&N. Why do you think you need more airflow? I made 602hp with a 9" K&N filter on the end of a 4" pipe only pulling 1" of vacuum. How much do you think the TL needs?
Old 04-27-2008 | 08:22 PM
..PRAXIS..

your F@#Kin crazy.
Old 04-27-2008 | 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Read your post & had just one question about it. Are you actually this stupid all the time, or only when you are awake?
Old 04-27-2008 | 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Its actually better to just rip all the media out of the filter and put the frame back in the airbox so the intake will seal well.
Hey, try driving at night without your headlights too, it makes your car faster because the reduced current draw. Really-
Old 04-27-2008 | 10:11 PM
Racer

Take out the air filter. While your at it, suck up some sand to polish the intake manifold. It works great
Old 04-27-2008 | 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 04-27-2008 | 10:18 PM
FizzyStatus!

Originally Posted by ggesq
+1

Old 04-27-2008 | 10:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Read your post & had just one question about it. Are you actually this stupid all the time, or only when you are awake?
I wasn't going to say it out loud but you read my mind lol.
Old 04-27-2008 | 10:59 PM
Instructor

Try walking thru sandstorm without a face cover. How do you feel? If it feels great then remove the filter. If not, then your car definitely needs the filter. Not to say that you're stupid, but my kid knows a lot better than you.
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I mean if you're leasing it and don't want to void the warranty, you would just take out the air filter and put it back in whenever it was serviced and when you finish the lease. You could do the same w/ any mods really just replace it w/ stock when you bring it back in.

And I already do have a K&N, I didn't really notice much difference over stock, but from what I have read the more air the more power so I figure nothing blocking the air would be the most powerful. I'm prolly not gonna try this anyway cuz I'll have this car for a long time and I own it, but I'm just wondering.
Yeah, that shows great morals, character and integrity. Fuck the poor guy who buys the "pristine" freshly off lease Acura that's been run sans air filter for the prior 36K. My 13 yo nephew would roll his eyes at your plan.
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:12 PM
Instructor

have you seen a picture of a "RAT" in someone's filter's car on the internet? what about rocks? big rocks not dirt. I would never even think about this question
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:12 PM
Instructor

Can someone please post a sarcastic suggestion that proposes I do something 100x stupider than the question I asked?

But seriously, I was reading this website http://www.eastplaza.com/mem/dakota/perform/air.htm and he suggests I try that to see the difference in power...so I wanted to try it. Yes it may be stupid but it's not murder (engines aren't people). I'm just wondering how bad it would be...and I'd put it back in after I tested it out.
Old 04-27-2008 | 11:31 PM
Advanced

Can someone please post a sarcastic suggestion that proposes I do something 100x stupider than the question I asked?
^
With the price of oil going up, I'm going to cut back to just 2 quarts with my next oil change.

Old 04-27-2008 | 11:56 PM
AZ Community Team

But seriously, I was reading this website http://www.eastplaza.com/mem/dakota/perform/air.htm and he suggests I try that to see the difference in power...so I wanted to try it. Yes it may be stupid but it's not murder (engines aren't people). I'm just wondering how bad it would be...and I'd put it back in after I tested it out.

But seriously, maybe you should go back and read that article/site again.

A filters primary purpose is to remove small particles of dirt from the air before it has a chance to make it's way into the environment of the engine. Without an air filter, a certain percentage of the dirt that enters the cavity of the cylinder walls will enter the oil system of the engine, some will be blown out by the explosions that occur within, however enough can remain to score the cylinder walls. As far as the dirt that made it's way into the oil system, a majority should be removed by the oil filter, however some will make it to internal bearing surfaces were wear of the bearing and it's mating surfaces will be accelerated.

Without a air filter of some type you run the risk of introducing anything that is smaller then the valve opening into your engine, from a mouse (or the acorn shells that it cracks in your air filter duct work ) to a small stone either which can be nasty to the health of your engine, not to mention regular dirt and dust. Obviously the cleaner the air the longer the engine should last.

As I continue to update these pages, I'll be putting in pictures of clean, and dirty air filters and mileage suggestion as to when to replace them.

By the way, driving around without a air filter under the hood can be particularly nasty on the engine.

I Don't Recommend The Following
Do so at your own risk!

I have no doubt that the K&N air filter will increase performance. If you want to get an idea how it will benefit your vehicle, just take the air filter out, check the intake duct for any dirt (clean & blow) take a vacuum and clean out the housing, leaving the filter out, but back the filter housing assembly and give your truck a twirl ....

You don't want to take extra good care of your lease, fine. Happens to a lot of cars and in general they hold up ok. But *intentionally* damaging the car then pawning it off on someone else .... .
Old 04-28-2008 | 09:03 AM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Come on guys. He is proving caveman theory here... this is just trial and error...

Isn't this just like a turbo? More air, more gas, faster / bigger combustion.

I'm joking of course, but if you run w/o air filter, get your checkbook ready. It's better to 'upgrade' your air flow instead of killing the car. An engine is not as cheap as a CAI...IMO
Old 04-28-2008 | 09:17 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Old 04-28-2008 | 09:21 AM
Safety Car

you guys are really letting him have it it huh? good.... stupid questions get stupid answers lol
Old 04-28-2008 | 09:37 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Sir....this is not a good idea to do. I dont want to flame you like everybody else is but it begs the question. Just take it from many people here already saying this...but dont do it. If you want to go CAI....then get one. But dont run with no filter on at all. Its just not a good practice or even a good idea for that matter.
Old 04-28-2008 | 10:14 AM
Race Director

Do all people that lease abuse their cars?

I'm leasing my 08 TLS, but I treat it just as any car I've ever owned...(yes better than my gf lol)

In regards to the OP, do you think you will breathe better? more efficient? maybe run a marathon? if you shave off all the nostril hair that you have? you know your "prebuilt" air filter?

Oh wait...that's a not a lease...can't return that without consequences.
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Yeah, that shows great morals, character and integrity. Fuck the poor guy who buys the "pristine" freshly off lease Acura that's been run sans air filter for the prior 36K. My 13 yo nephew would roll his eyes at your plan.

I second that.
Old 04-28-2008 | 12:58 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Yes it may be stupid but it's not murder (engines aren't people).
gets my vote for quote of the year.
Old 04-28-2008 | 01:16 PM
LyfeIs what you make it!

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

I'm leasing my 08 TLS, but I treat it just as any car I've ever owned...(yes better than my gf lol)

In regards to the OP, do you think you will breathe better? more efficient? maybe run a marathon? if you shave off all the nostril hair that you have? you know your "prebuilt" air filter?

Oh wait...that's a not a lease...can't return that without consequences.
LMAO.

This has got to be the best Flame I've seen in a long time.
Old 04-28-2008 | 01:23 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
In my experience, people who lease often take better care of their cars. I always guessed that it was because they were afraid of paying penalties when they went to return it.

Quick Reply: How bad is it to drive without any air filter?