Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink Question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink Question....

Does anyone know of how the Homelink system works?

I am looking to buy a new garage door opener, and want to make sure I get one that I can hook up to this Homelink system.

Is there a "Brain" that everything has to be wired to so that I can turn on the lights in my backyard?

thanks

Chad
Old 11-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Racer

Buy one of the Chamberlain (a.k.a. Lift Master) "Security+" models. These have the "rolling code" remote system to make it more difficult for a would-be burglar to "sniff" your remote code setting out of the air. Sears and others sell this system under their own brand name, so it's available just about everywhere.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have a Lift Master in my house and wasn't able to get it to work with either TL I've owned. :shrugs: I have to carry a garage door opener with me, the old fashioned way.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by neuronbob
I have a Lift Master in my house and wasn't able to get it to work with either TL I've owned. :shrugs: I have to carry a garage door opener wth me, the old fashioned way.
do you have a a remote w/ the 8 or 10 switches or do you have one w/ a roaming code?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:20 PM
Advanced

I have a Lift Master in my house and wasn't able to get it to work with either TL I've owned. :shrugs: I have to carry a garage door opener with me, the old fashioned way.
Are you sure you are programing it correctly? B/c the Homelink in our '96 Jeep, '98 Lexus GS, '01 CL, and '03 Accord work with our 10 y/o Liftmaster. You have to clear out the Homelink system first by pressing the # 1 and #3 at the sametime till the red light blinks. And then start the programing. I know a lot of people who miss that step. And if your Liftmaster is a rolling code there is also another special step that you have to do....I know some people who thought there's wasn't rolling code, but it really was.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:37 PM
Racer

Yeah, Homelink can be a real PITA to program until you get the hang of it. Once you get it right, however, it works great! The Homelink in my Lexus actually had better range than the remotes that came with my garage door opener.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Pro

I was having major problems with the homelink today as well. I accidentally deprogrammed everything including the remote controls. Got those working and finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the homelink in the car. Because of this roaming code issue there is an extra step. First open your manual to the homelink page. There is a section on Training. You must do this section even though by the end of it your homelink won't work. Then you go to the next section to program homelink with a roaming code. There you must press the "training button" in your garage opener itself. Then you have 30 seconds to get back into your car and press the home link button down for 3 secs a couple of times. Then when you press it again, your garage will open. You can make it work. Just make sure you follow both sections in the TL's owner's manual.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by frebay
do you have a a remote w/ the 8 or 10 switches or do you have one w/ a roaming code?
I have a newer (3 yrs old) model with a roaming code. The remotes have three buttons.

Originally posted by LSIII
Are you sure you are programing it correctly? B/c the Homelink in our '96 Jeep, '98 Lexus GS, '01 CL, and '03 Accord work with our 10 y/o Liftmaster. You have to clear out the Homelink system first by pressing the # 1 and #3 at the sametime till the red light blinks. And then start the programing. I know a lot of people who miss that step. And if your Liftmaster is a rolling code there is also another special step that you have to do....I know some people who thought there's wasn't rolling code, but it really was.
Every time I've tried, I've cleared out the Homelink first. I followed the instructions from Liftmaster first to program, then Acura's instructions, each multiple times, and nothing worked. Any other hints? it got to a point with my old TL that I simply let it go and used the remote.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Pro

I have lift master 1/2 hp on two doors they work great. I had problems at first, But I called homelink on my cell and they walked me thru it! Once they walk you thru it. It is realy easy.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Racer

I have a newer (3 yrs old) model with a roaming code. The remotes have three buttons.
That should work just fine.

Every time I've tried, I've cleared out the Homelink first. I followed the instructions from Liftmaster first to program, then Acura's instructions, each multiple times, and nothing worked. Any other hints? it got to a point with my old TL that I simply let it go and used the remote.
What do you mean "followed the instructions from Lift Master?" Once your GDO is installed and working with your standard remotes, you should not be following any Lift Master instructions anymore. From this point on it's all HomeLink.

From what I remember, the procedure I used goes something like this:
  • Hold down the two outer HomeLink buttons until the LED flashes (indicating the HomeLink's memory is cleared out).
  • Press and hold down the button on your real GDO remote. Your garage door should open at this point.
  • Move the GDO remote to within 12" or so of your HL button panel. You may have to experiement with the distance a bit (see below).
  • Select the HomeLink button you want to assign to your GDO. Press and hold down the HL button. IIRC, the LED will begin flashing slowly to indicate that it is "sampling" the radio signal from your GDO remote. If the slow flashing does not begin after a few seconds, try moving the GDO remote closer or farther away from the HL receiver so that the HL can pick up a clean signal.
  • Continue to hold both buttons down until the LED on the HL begins to flash quickly. Release both buttons.
  • Now press the assigned button on the HL. Your garage door should now close.

Again, this is all from memory, but that's basically what I did. How does this compare with the procedure y'all are using?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Those are the instructions from the Acura manual for doors without rolling codes, which I tried several times too without success. Maybe I just need to keep trying.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, but REALLY appreciate all the help!!!

THANK YOU!
Old 11-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Racer

Those are the instructions from the Acura manual for doors without rolling codes, which I tried several times too without success.
My GDO is a Security+, so the procedure I described should work for you. Dunno what to tell ya; I'd suspect a defective unit, but you said you had the same problem on your last TL, so the only possible conclusion is user error.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

DUH. (definitely must be user error.)

That's exactly what I have--a Security +.

Yeah, I'll keep trying, I'm encouraged that others have had success with this combination. I simply didn't post about it with the prior car.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro

DUH. (definitely must be user error.)

That's exactly what I have--a Security +.

Yeah, I'll keep trying, I'm encouraged that others have had success with this combination. I simply didn't post about it with the prior car.
Neuronbob, I had many problems and finally figured out that I had to follow the whole proceedure from the very beginning of the homelink section in the TL owner's manual. I was skipping the first section because I knew that I had a roaming code opener. I only got it to work when I followed it verbatim from the manual starting from the first section on "training" using the remote control even though I knew it wouldn't work by doing that. Then following the roaming code section and pressing the training button on the garage door opener. Do the whole thing and it should work.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Advanced

If you have rolling code your last steps must be to press the training button on the actual unit hanging from the garage ceiling and then pressin the button in the car. Try calling them and haveing them walk you through it, or go to www.homelink.com and read those instructions. A lot of people think those instructions are easier to understand than most in vehicle owners manuals. I've never read the one's in the TL's Manual b/c I memorized them ever since we got our Jeep with it back in '96.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Instructor

The guy at Acura told me to program homelink while AWAY from my house or it would burn out my motor on my garage door openers if I didn't first disconnect them before programming. He said just drive down the street and then program with your remote. Well, I tried that 2 times and it doesn't work. I have brand new openers in my new home (6 mos. old) which are "Overhead Door" brand. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Are they rolling code? Id so, Did you do the extra step needed to program rolling code transmitters?
Old 12-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Not sure I know what "rolling code" means. I guess I better read the manual closer. Anybody find a problem with programming in your own driveway that the guy told me? Haven't seen that on here.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wildcat Jon
Not sure I know what "rolling code" means. I guess I better read the manual closer. Anybody find a problem with programming in your own driveway that the guy told me? Haven't seen that on here.
I programmed mine (with a rolling code) in my driveway just fine. Be sure you clear the homelink buttons first by holding down the first and third button for about 20 seconds until the light flashes rapidly. Then follow the instructions in the manual. There are instructions on www.homelink.com as well that I thought were better. Once I went to the homelink site and tried programming it a second time (I couldn't get it programmed the first time) it worked on the first try. Very easy with good instructions.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:32 AM
Pro

You can program it in your driveway as long as you unplug the garage door opener first.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Advanced

The few extra cycles that you put your garage door opener through is not going to burn it out. I mean, it was made to open, close, open, close, open, close, open, close....
Old 12-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a "rolling code" garage door opener, you must program the home link in two steps.

1) "Teach" the HomeLink button the opener.

2) "Teach" the opner about the new remote.

I didn't get mine to work until I went to the HomeLink web site and read their instructions. Two notes: I have to hold the HomeLink button down for a couple of seconds to make it work and, the range is greater wich I like.

Good luck
Old 12-26-2003, 11:17 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
i got liftmaster garage door and homelink dont work.... tried it several times....
Old 12-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I've got Liftmasters and the Homelink in both my TL and Odyssey work fine with them.

Mike
Old 12-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
WildCat Jon, I don't know how fast you can run but I have to agree with the others that have replied that the step to press the train button on the garage door engine hanging in your garage is an integral step. It does only give you 30 seconds to run to your car and "partner" the homelink on your car with the garage opener.

I too have a Liftmaster and my homelink works like a charm. The range on my Homelink (2002 TL-S) I have to say is a bit short or my garage weakens the signal. The door only opens when I am pulling into my driveway and the car is facing the garage door.

But, bottom line is that my Homelink works with my garage door opener which IS rolling code.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced

http://www.homelink.com/home/wheretogo.html
Old 12-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Just remember if you program your homelink for your garage door
hope your car doesn't get stolen. If it does the thief just got access to your home.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Per the last post, if someone steals your car, they are also going to get your remote (if you don't use homelink) anyway, so I don't see the point, unless of course you carry your remote around in your pocket when you leave the car - who does that?

Thanks for all the advice - I have a brand new garage door system with Rolling Codes and got the thing to work by following not only the first part of the remote programming but also hitting the "learn code" button on each of the door motors. A snap! Thanks.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

For those with rolling codes two people work better than one since usually the transmitter is located in a difficult place to reach.

Does anyone know the range of the HomeLink transmitter. Seems that like another poster I need to be very close to the door to get it to work. Even the direction of the vehicle seems to matter.

Thanks,
Old 12-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

My remote is on my key ring for just that reason. I never leave the gdo remote in my car.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:25 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Sallies_TL

My remote is on my key ring for just that reason. I never leave the gdo remote in my car.
how the hell that happen.... what kind of remote u got?

btw any pics?
Old 12-27-2003, 06:57 AM
glg
Intermediate

Originally posted by Sallies_TL
Just remember if you program your homelink for your garage door
hope your car doesn't get stolen. If it does the thief just got access to your home.
This is one reason I always use the deadbolt on the door from the garage to the house. If someone steals the car on breaks in through the garage door (I've heard this can be rather easy to do) then they still have to get passed a steel,deadbolted, alarmed door. Yeah they can steal my lawnmower and some tools but no entry into the house.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

the remote i use did not come with the car or the garage door opener. It is no bigger than the one that comes with the acura.

My point is if you use the home link or leave the gdo in your car
please be carefull. It is amazing how many people would not think of leaving a housekey hanging from the sun visor but think nothing about leaving the gdo there and thier address in the glovebox.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Pro

Originally posted by glg
This is one reason I always use the deadbolt on the door from the garage to the house. If someone steals the car on breaks in through the garage door (I've heard this can be rather easy to do) then they still have to get passed a steel,deadbolted, alarmed door. Yeah they can steal my lawnmower and some tools but no entry into the house.
You must not have determined thiefs. A friend of mine had the same setup as you. They broke down the door. Hit it so hard it took the frame out of the wall, LOTS of damage. And only stole some jewelry and a few other items. She was laughing that her stereo and TV were not even good enough to steal.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:22 AM
glg
Intermediate

Originally posted by Formula 350
You must not have determined thiefs. A friend of mine had the same setup as you. They broke down the door. Hit it so hard it took the frame out of the wall, LOTS of damage. And only stole some jewelry and a few other items. She was laughing that her stereo and TV were not even good enough to steal.
That sucks about your friends break in - at least it sounds like no one was hurt. The one thing insurance cannot replace is your life/health.
Not sure how determined my area thiefs are but we've had 4 breakins within the last 4 months all within blocks of my home. 2 of them happened at night while the owner's were home. Out of those 2 one woke up and chased them out, the other one (my next dr neighbor) didn't know until the next morning when he discovered they stole his car after obtaining the keys from his kitchen. All 4 had no house alarms. Not that they aren't defeatable but like car alarms you just want them to go to the next car/house instead of yours.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Pro

Originally posted by glg
That sucks about your friends break in - at least it sounds like no one was hurt. The one thing insurance cannot replace is your life/health.
I agree completely. Only lost some possesions which can be replaced. It was during the day when she was out. However, Houston is starting to have the same type of break ins as you mentioned. A family came home when thiefs were in their house and all 4 were shot, two killed.