Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey.. We got left out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nauticalx1
No troll, just gettin under the skin of these hallucinating fools who think that their TL's are all that and the center of the world. Get a life.
A do u even own a TL? ur the one flamming everthing on a TL message board and ur telling everyone they need 2 get a life????
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

looks kinda like the TL's interior. the guages are recessed the same way the cente console kinda look similar and the vents are also similar.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...
Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

After their home run with the TL's design (interior and exterior) I'd be interested in seeing what happens with the 4G TL. Maybe by then it'll be time for a new car... mmm

And speaking of getting left out, Cal was left out of the Rose Bowl this year. What a load of crock!
Old 12-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
A couple of comments:

the TSX is not a redesign, so they obviously consider all currently available vehicles. No sweat, so they didn't rank the TL--although having all 3 in the top 10 would have been sweet.
The TSX won last year. They consider only redesigns and previous (i.e last year's) winners. They state it right there in the article.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SMF-TLS
Lexus is the Buick of Japanese cars.
OK, let's stop bashing Lexus because of a stupid troll. He's an idiot.

I own both a TL and an IS, and the IS is a much more entertaining car than the TL (to me at least). Not "better", just more exciting to drive. So, saying Lexus cars suck or are boring is nonsense.

That being said, Lexus is clearly more about quality and luxury than sport. Both Acura and Lexus (and Infiniti for that matter) make excellent cars. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mindworm
Dunno...I just know that Lexus still hasn't found a way to make their cars look appealing like Acura and Infiniti have.
Keep in mind that Lexus is the best selling luxury brand by far in the US. Again, let's stop bashing Lexus please.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kosh2258
I've read them all too, for a lot years, and I've watched the objectivity decline to the point where, yes, C&D will pan a particular vehicle, but only if the thing is such an obvious underachiever that to do otherwise would make the magazine look foolish.

The sad thing is, you're right, C&D is pretty much the most objective of the lot, but today that isn't saying much.
I agree. There was a time not long ago where I would look at C&Ds reviews and their ten best and I would nod in agreement on a lot of the things they said. I also mostly agreed with their selections. Lately, though, their selections seem to be based on more than just driving pleasure and the other things they state are part of their selection process. There are cars in their that I wonder about (and they just happen to have huge ads as well.

I recently went to a Car and Driver event that ended up being more of an advertisement campaign for Cadillac. I was more than a little disappointed in Car and Driver (and Road & Track, who was also involved).

As for BMW, I don't think C&D is liking the 5 and 7s. It will be interesting what happens when the new 3s come out. I have to say, I've driven all types of BMWs over the past 5 years or so (including most of their 3 series models), and I can't quite see what they love about them. Of course, I haven't driven an M3, so maybe that's the link I'm missing. Overall, they are nice cars, but I would expect a lot more based on the love relationship that car mags have with them.

A few more things to consider:
The review that C&D did with the TL, G35, and 3-series included the 325, not the 330. In the article, they stated that if the BMW had more power, it would be the winner. Their Ten Best list actually covers the whole 3-series, including the M3. It is hard to argue about the M3.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that Lexus is the best selling luxury brand by far in the US. Again, let's stop bashing Lexus please.

Not bashing, just stating opinion. Read the whole post. I was getting at the point that Lexus should take a loooooong look at the *major* design change for both Acura and Infiniti underwent and how it's helped their overall sales. Lord knows it's not becuase of a cool FOB or DVD-A. It's about visual appeal. Toyota sells like hotcakes, and I still challenge anyone to find a car in their line that looks inspired in the least. (MR2 excluded.) I had a Camry. Loved it to death. But it was a reliable box. Not inspiring in the least. Acura and Infiniti are trying hard (and succeeding, imho) at combining the great reliability with inspired design.

IMHO, they're leagues ahead of Lexus and Audi right now. (You could argue BMW as well)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I shift therefore I am

I know its a totally subjective issue, but to me Lexus isnt bad at all in the visual appeal area. If I had to go by looks alone and not the soul of the car, TL wouldn't have been my first choice.

The current IS styling though, is very bland. The interior felt very dated when I test drove it. The drive itself was good (its a RWD after all), but I had my heart set on the TL by then.

To each his own, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder etc etc.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I think Toyota makes a good appliance. It is like buying a refrigerator. You know it will work well for 10 years or so but it is not inspiring. To me that is true of the Lexi too. I didn't really feel inspired by them. Last Lexus that caught my eye was the GS430. When looking at cars before buying my MB I looked again at Lexus. I tried everything there but I just felt that they had engineered the soul out of the cars. Sure they were quiet and comfortable but now visceral thrills from driving them.

Toyota can make great cars. I have a late model Supra Turbo and MR2 Turbo. I loved those cars but what have you done for me lately? I think Lexus is almost like the Japanese Buick. Nothing wrong with that but I am just not ready for a Buick yet.

As for the point that a car sells well doesn't mean that it is a great car. It could just be a good value or very affordable. Case in point is the Ford Taurus and Toyota Camry. These cars sell incredibly well but the last and only Taurus I've ever owned was a SHO (I owned 2 of them). Great car and wasn't a boring one.

I typically try to avoid ANY car that happens to be widely roled out into rental car duty in the US. Just a little too boring and it seems to kill the resale value too if they are widely available in rental car fleets.

I think the TL is absolutely gorgeous. I even bought it though I have a strong bias against FWD. It was a lot of fun to drive. Interior is far and away the best in its class and the power is pretty nice. My kids said they have the same sensation as when I take them flying. It is now their 2nd favorite car after our race WRX.

On some level the 3rd gen TL seems to have connected with more people. I never would have bought the last one nor could I see myself buying an Accord. Acura definitely got it right with the styling. I have already forgot about the price that I paid for the car.

Every day when I get in it, it brings a smile to my face. I don't need to see someone's reaction to the car for me to enjoy (like many BMW drivers do). I don't need any reaffirmationt from anyone that my purchase was a good one. I have had absolutely no buyer's remorse since buying the car. I know I could have spent almost twice the money and not bought a substantially better car. Sure I'd like more HP and RWD or AWD but the basic goodness of the car is evident. I personally owned over 100 cars and motorcycles in my lifetime and this TL would definitely rank in my top 10. It fits in anywhere I've driven it.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:09 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No troll, just gettin under the skin of these hallucinating fools who think that their TL's are all that and the center of the world. Get a life.
ROFL!

Just wanna ask you: are u really stupid? or are u just a boring kid?

jealous us and trying to blame our cars with a concept car's pics?

one thing i wanna tell you: everybody is laughing at you~ get a face ~
Old 12-06-2004, 04:13 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I just received my January 2005 issue of Car and Driver today with the 10 Best Cars report.

The TL is NOT in there! Not only is it not in the 10 best, it didn't even make the "also rans"!! What's going on?
because acura wanna sell more tsx and rl in next year... so they paid car and driver .... lol

Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 AM
Instructor

If I remember in the C&D road test, about the only thing they really didn't like about the TL is that there was some torque steer. Other then that they thought it was OK. I'll go with Consumer Reports and what they said about the TL. It is the best car they have tested in they entry level sport sedan catagory. Since they test cars more like most of us drive I'll go with their conclusions. I drive in all kind of weather and road conditions, I want a car that will not let me down when the roads turn snowy or wet. It is a fun car to drive in the twisties, maybe no BMW but it is all that I will ever need. I'm glad the RL and TSX made it, we will see if they repeat next year.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
A do u even own a TL? ur the one flamming everthing on a TL message board and ur telling everyone they need 2 get a life????
it's pretty obvious to me he does not.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To wavshrdr;

Very nicely put, my friend. My sentiments, exactly. You know you have something special when you keep turning around to look at it after you've parked and left it.

In March of 2001, I road tested a 2002 TL Type-S. I have to say that I was not very impressed. The automatic transmission never locked up (suspect a torque converter failure) and the throttle response was poor. Also, the steering was not very impressive. At the time, I owned my 2000 SVT Contour which was a hard act for the TL to follow (sorry Acura-lovers, but unless you've driven am SVT Contour, you just don't know). So I passed the TL up (mostly, I just wanted to satisfy myself since I did think the TL Type-S looked very good). But the new TL is a whole different animal. Like night and day.

Anyway, just wanted to say good job on your post. I feel the same as you.. just can't wait to get in the thing and enjoy it.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Gearhead

SouthernBoy- I too find myself looking back over my shoulder as I leave the car. It may sound kind of hokey but it is like you just had a date with a super model and you want to savor that moment as long as you can. My significant other is a car enthusiast so she's cool with it. There is something about the TL that strikes a chord within me. It is like the first time I saw a P51 Mustang in the flesh. It doesn't look like a bar of soap molded in the wind tunnel. For Acura it must have almost been a styling extreme compared to the old TL. It is really has a lot of curb appeal.

We have crappy weather today (more snow) and I still couldn't wait to get home and drive the TL for a while. It is like my escape cocoon. I drive it for a few minutes and I seem to decompress. Few cars have add that affect on me. I am starting to understand the car more and more. It is one of the more fun FWD cars I've ever driven. I can only imagine what it could have been with RWD or AWD.

So far I've only had one serious downside to the TL. My boss is incredibly envious. He has last year's RL and he just keeps staring at my car. It truly is sad but it has created some tension in the office. I didn't plan on driving it to my main office but one of my other cars was in for maintenance.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Heck....chisel the nose on the 06 IS and you've got yourself a nice .......

Volvo S40 knockoff.

Way to go, Ford lover.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:25 AM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by Lore
And speaking of getting left out, Cal was left out of the Rose Bowl this year. What a load of crock!
Off-topic, but I agree!! Talk about of a bias against the Pac-10.

Texas?!? UGH!! Enough with that state!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:12 AM
I shift therefore I am

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Off-topic, but I agree!! Talk about of a bias against the Pac-10.

Texas?!? UGH!! Enough with that state!
Off-topic again, but I wholeheartedly agree about Cal (and Texas ) eventhough I like the Longhorns, having spent some time in Austin. I sure hope SoCal kicks butt at the Orange Bowl and represents the West well.

Trying to get back on the topic, how many lists did the TL top? I know it topped the Consumer Guide and the MSN Most Researched lists - what else?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by direk_04TL
geez, if OUR current TLs are beautiful now, then the 06 TL (with AWD i hope) would definitely blow the doors off of these LEXI (plural?).
Actually our current TL looks Better than the 2006 Lexus models. It looks like a jet fighter on wheels.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChRiS_nYc
my question is who the fuk cares what car and driver thinks they've been swinging off BMW's nutsack for years. :whocares: on the other hand I agree the TL would be a shoe-in if it had RWD but that doesnt bother me--the handling of the TL is definetly above average.
You said 'Nut Sack'
Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced

i hope USC gets smacked, auburn is who really got the shaft, they playe the thoughest schedule and the SEC is much more powerful a conference than the PAC-10, although i do respect them i think its more my hatred for the BCS. USC has done a great job number 1 start to fnish but every undefeated needs a shot at the title.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I shift therefore I am

Originally Posted by ChrisD7351
i hope USC gets smacked, auburn is who really got the shaft, they playe the thoughest schedule and the SEC is much more powerful a conference than the PAC-10, although i do respect them i think its more my hatred for the BCS. USC has done a great job number 1 start to fnish but every undefeated needs a shot at the title.
dont blame USC for what happened to Auburn though. Its the screwed up BCS system! As someone who went to many Auburn home games, I share your pain. Good luck with the Sugar, but its SC all the way baby!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
With all props to my Southern brother, but who gives a darn what C&D thinks? I do not need a magazine to tell me how to have a good time.

And those Lexi pictures, especially the last one with the hump-back, is case closed? I guess if the case is ugly design features, it does win, no doubt. Troll.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
At the time, I owned my 2000 SVT Contour which was a hard act for the TL to follow (sorry Acura-lovers, but unless you've driven am SVT Contour, you just don't know).
I meant to comment on this the last time you posted. I was actually pretty surprised that you liked that car so much. I've never driven one, but had a decent amount of respect for it (not being a Ford fan at all). However, it was the last FWD car that my buddy owned (actually a 97 model) before saying "I will never buy another FWD car again." He also had tons of problems with it.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Gearhead

It didnt make it because the Tl's trannysucks and its torque steer is ridiculus. Im personally waiting for the next IS, which will blow the TL away. Have fun with your hondas.
I just had to reread this thread as it's interesting to see the many viewpoints but every time I read this comment I just laugh. I sometimes is hilarious how people can slam other people's cars but can't even write a semi-literate sentence. If this is the typical Lexus buyer then I am damn glad I don't own one! Oh wait...I forgot, if I follow nauticalx1's logic, there aren't buying Lexi, they are buying (hold your breath) a TOYOTA!

People like that troll think it is the end of the world if the diss my TL. Like I could give a rat's butt. I could buy any new Lexus made and I don't care about any of them. Why should I piss my money away on a car that isn't as good as the TL but costs more money. I can't say that any Acura is what I'd call ugly but look at that rolling version of a feminine hygenie product, the Lexus SC430. I don't think its a bad car but definitely not what I'd call pretty.

Nauticalx1 reminds me of the kids I went to with in high school who had rich parents. Unfortunately only the parents often had the drive, talent and ambition that seemed to somehow skip over their children. If all they can do is try and make themselves look bigger by driving mommy and daddy's Lexus or putting down somone else's ride to make themselves feel bigger than that is pretty sad. If you think the Lexus is better then state how and in what ways it is a superior automobile. I've owned a huge number of cars in my life and I can pretty specifically say why I think one car is better than another in my opinion.

I really don't care if C&D made the TL one of the 10best of not. I NEVER bought a car solely because some rag said it was a great car. I did my own due diligence and bought what I liked best regardless of what the car rags said or the local Bimmer support group thought. I don't need to drive what other people drive to feel successful. I don't succumb to peer pressure. If you want to buy a Lexus or BMW and think its all that, good for you. I personally won't buy another BMW (except for maybe a M5) because of having to deal with the a$$hole dealers and the other yuppies who don't have a clue about the car. Buy what you like; like what you drive. If you can't buy what you like, work harder, smarter and longer and maybe you can.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:20 PM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
I really don't care if C&D made the TL one of the 10best of not. I NEVER bought a car solely because some rag said it was a great car. I did my own due diligence and bought what I liked best regardless of what the car rags said or the local Bimmer support group thought. I don't need to drive what other people drive to feel successful. I don't succumb to peer pressure. If you want to buy a Lexus or BMW and think its all that, good for you. I personally won't buy another BMW (except for maybe a M5) because of having to deal with the a$$hole dealers and the other yuppies who don't have a clue about the car. Buy what you like; like what you drive. If you can't buy what you like, work harder, smarter and longer and maybe you can.
good point~
Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 PM
I shift therefore I am

^ Totally agree !
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Originally Posted by missmyprelude
OK, let's stop bashing Lexus because of a stupid troll. He's an idiot.

I own both a TL and an IS, and the IS is a much more entertaining car than the TL (to me at least). Not "better", just more exciting to drive. So, saying Lexus cars suck or are boring is nonsense.

That being said, Lexus is clearly more about quality and luxury than sport. Both Acura and Lexus (and Infiniti for that matter) make excellent cars. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Yada, Yada, Yada

Originally Posted by matelot
it's pretty obvious to me he does not.

He claims to in a previous post in a different thread.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, I know it's not a "driver's" magazine...nor perhaps the one with the most "wow" factor.....but Consumer Reports STILL calls the TL the "best upscale sedan we've ever tested"....rating it above the CTS, G35, IS, AND C&D's beloved 3-series. Might we take solace in that?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
OK, I know it's not a "driver's" magazine...nor perhaps the one with the most "wow" factor.....but Consumer Reports STILL calls the TL the "best upscale sedan we've ever tested"....rating it above the CTS, G35, IS, AND C&D's beloved 3-series. Might we take solace in that?
A Consumer Reports recommendation is like the kiss of death for sports cars. I almost reconsidered buying a TL because of that. It is like a woman saying you are a nice guy. <JK>

Regardless of anyone else likes it I'm satisfied so far with my TL. I like it enough to maybe consider a NSX as my next car.