Help needed - Accident

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005 | 12:22 PM
Grishm04TL

Exclamation Help needed - Accident

Have an 04 TL w/ 7K miles.

Hit some debris yesterday night while taking the off ram on the freeway (I5 Northbound exit Glendale Blvd – SoCal @6:45PM). An MDX in front of me hit this first & it flew onto my undercarriage. It looked like a tail pipe of something. Anyway it cracked my lower bumper, broke my radiator (I was leaking coolant and my car started to over heat). Had the car towed to a dealer who told me this morning that my A/C duct was also torn. They are going to have my car inspected & let me know what other damages there are & cost to fix all this.

Asked a body shop if I could fax them the estimate to see if they do any better provided they use all Genuine Acura Parts. Shop said they had to see the vehicle before giving me an estimate & when I explained it was with Acura & could not be driven over, they said tough.

Any suggestions ? Insurance agent said if repairs abt 2K, then premium would go up abt 10% per 6 Months ($100.00)

Tought - the more you love your car, the more damage you sustain in any accident. Just sucks.

Old 03-24-2005 | 12:29 PM
Drifting

It is possible that this could be classified "comprehensive" as opposed to "collision". If that is the case, with some companies comp losses will not affect your premium since it would be a non-chargeable loss. You may want to check with your specific insurance provider.
Old 03-24-2005 | 12:35 PM
Pro

I dont get this SH*T; as rajen is explaining something came flying under his car and caused the damage why the FU*K would the insurance company say that his insurance would go up....

After all we pay the premiums for "casualties" like these...Ridiculous...

Keep us updated what happens...

Sorry about the pain though...
Old 03-24-2005 | 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

geez how can we help you.. this can happen to anyone. Call up you insurance agency. You should not be surcharged for operating your car in a responsible manner. The insurance people can tell you what to do.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:05 PM
Instructor

Something similiar happened to me a few months ago. There was a large platic bucket on the side of the road. A truck hit it, it flew over into my lane and put a dent in my hood.

I had the same concern you do, but my insurance company put it under comprehensive, not collision -- and said it won't affect my rate.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:10 PM
Grishm04TL

Thanks for your input - Insurance Companies increase Premiums when they have to shell out money for their insured. i.e. if it's your fault or no ones fault, then the insurance company may increase your rates. 3 Strikes & no one will insure you - if all claims are from the insured & paid out by the insurance company.
Old 03-24-2005 | 01:21 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Insurance is a gyp. You pay and pay and pay, and when you actually use it, they jack you for more or drop you. If you're the only car involved, regardless of what happened, it's your fault and it's comprehensive. If this goes over a certain amount, up go the rates. If you hit someone else, it's collision, and if they pay over a certain amount, up go the rates. Not sure about CA, but we have Uninsured/Under Insured coverage here...couple bucks every 6 months...some unisured idiot hit my last car...had to pay a deductible (you set), but the rest was covered, and it didn't count against me. Only if it's comprehensive or your fault collision does it count against you.
Old 03-24-2005 | 03:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by chill_dog
...some unisured idiot hit my last car...had to pay a deductible (you set), but the rest was covered, and it didn't count against me. Only if it's comprehensive or your fault collision does it count against you.
That's interesting, here in Indiana, there is no deductible for an "Uninsured" loss. And, comprehensive losses do not count against you.
Old 03-24-2005 | 04:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Insurance is a gyp. You pay and pay and pay, and when you actually use it, they jack you for more or drop you. If you're the only car involved, regardless of what happened, it's your fault and it's comprehensive. If this goes over a certain amount, up go the rates. If you hit someone else, it's collision, and if they pay over a certain amount, up go the rates. Not sure about CA, but we have Uninsured/Under Insured coverage here...couple bucks every 6 months...some unisured idiot hit my last car...had to pay a deductible (you set), but the rest was covered, and it didn't count against me. Only if it's comprehensive or your fault collision does it count against you.
You got to it before I did.
Yes, you pay all this money for insurance. Then, when you need it you don't get what you've been paying for. Your rates shouldn't go up.
Old 03-24-2005 | 05:00 PM
Grishm04TL

Cost of repairs $2,387.71 + State Tax. Will probally have Acura do all the repairs so I wont get "out of warranty" by somebody else fixing the vehicle.
Old 03-24-2005 | 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Well i dont no crap about insurence, but I dont think that is a collision(well technically it is).
Old 03-24-2005 | 05:25 PM
Grishm04TL

In this case - collision is when u hit something stationery / not moving.
Comprehensive is when you hit something moving, which is in my case). Will deal with the insurance company tomorrow & post outcome.

What a bummer. May switch insurance companies after this as do not like Mercury's response time.