Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004 | 06:55 AM
Advanced

Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Anyone receive a good deal on an 6-spd 04 TL from the mid-south, (MS, AL, LA, FL, AR)? Please tell me where you bought it, who your salesperson was, and how much you paid. I'm primarily interested in non-nav 6-speeds.

I've been trying to buy a TL for months but can barely get the dealers to come off MSRP. Most won't even talk once I counter their initial quote. They'll throw an initial price of MSRP or around $300 off MSRP, and expect me to rush over with my checkbook. For example; Tim Smith Acura (FL) expected $33,881 for a 6-spd, non-nav, plus TTL. Another dealer offered a small discount, but said I'd have to pay MSRP if he had to order the car. I don't understand this at all.

OK, I understand the car is new and in demand. But this still doesn't make sense. It seems as if the dealers in my area have all agreed not to budge on the price. They make no attempt to deal. I'm at my witts end. This was supposed to be a birthday present for the wife (Oct 03), then it turned into a Christmas present (Dec 03), and now I feel I'm destined to wait till the 05 come out since that will improve my chances of getting a realistic deal.

What we want - 6-spd 04 TL, Redondo Red with Camel interior.
Old 02-14-2004 | 07:18 PM
Advanced

A Little Help Over Here

I'm still hoping someone has experience in this part of the country, and willing to share it.
Old 02-15-2004 | 11:48 PM
Instructor

Bought my Silver/Quartz/5AT/Navi for almost $3,000 off MSRP from Apple Tree Acura out side of Asheville, NC. I don't know if this is too far for you or not, it close to the TN/NC State line. I can send you their number is you like.
Old 02-16-2004 | 08:38 AM
Intermediate

King Acura in Birmingham immediately offered me $1000 off MSRP (remember, that was just there their starting point) on a TL-Navi and this was 2 months ago and they only had a couple in stock. On a non-navi, they had a parking lot full of them, so I would imagine that they would be even more willing to come down on the price. Also, Atlanta is always a good place to shop due to the volume here.
Old 02-16-2004 | 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Originally posted by Almost Jake

Another dealer offered a small discount, but said I'd have to pay MSRP if he had to order the car. I don't understand this at all.
I am not in the biz, but it would seem to me, ordering a car is the cheapest way for the dealer to make the sale. The car comes in, they turn it right over to the customer and do not have to pay any interest.
Old 02-16-2004 | 10:50 AM
Racer

You should be able to get at least $2k off of non-NAVI's. Been that way for a couple of months now. The non-NAVs are plentiful
Old 02-16-2004 | 11:15 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Re: Re: Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
I am not in the biz, but it would seem to me, ordering a car is the cheapest way for the dealer to make the sale. The car comes in, they turn it right over to the customer and do not have to pay any interest.
Your right about not being in the business. I'm not either but the generally dealers want to keep their "allocation" (i.e. orders) limited to cars that they get the highest markup on. They may have restrictions on the quantity they order (i.e. Navi-6sp). Since they've already got cars on their lots (That do accure costs DAILY), they logically want to dump those first. If he's willing to search for one of the colors he wants on a dealer's lot, he's going to have a better chance at negotiating the price. It's a trade off...You EXACT preference or what's available NOW.
Old 02-16-2004 | 03:51 PM
Instructor

I may be mistaken, but I believe I have read that a dealer receives a certain kickback for cars which are on the lot for up to so many days, and that after that, that particular incentive goes away. I believe that incentive is not available when the dealer orders a car for a customer, so I could see maybe getting a better deal on a car sitting in the lot.
Old 02-16-2004 | 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Re: Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Originally posted by kilrb
I may be mistaken, but I believe I have read that a dealer receives a certain kickback for cars which are on the lot for up to so many days, and that after that, that particular incentive goes away. I believe that incentive is not available when the dealer orders a car for a customer, so I could see maybe getting a better deal on a car sitting in the lot.
The dealer gets a 3% "holdback" no matter what. So the dealer could sell the cars for "invoice" and still make 3%. The salesmen strongly resist this because then they only get their minimum for selling a car which varies but is usually 1-2 hundred dollars.
Old 02-16-2004 | 04:52 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Help! Need Realistic Price in Mid-South

Originally posted by jdone
The dealer gets a 3% "holdback" no matter what. So the dealer could sell the cars for "invoice" and still make 3%. The salesmen strongly resist this because then they only get their minimum for selling a car which varies but is usually 1-2 hundred dollars.
What I'm referring to is above and beyond holdback, applies to allocated cars, and is time-sensitive. Someone help me out here...
Old 02-17-2004 | 10:12 PM
My name is RL.

That's exactly right. Why is it more to sell you the car if the car is never setting on their lot waiting for a buyer? This is BS. They may not have told you in those words that you "have to pay MSRP" but if they had said that to me I would have told them they would "have to watch me walk the hell outta there". That's crazy. You have the money, they have the car. You're in control.

Good site:www.carbuyingtips.com
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

The dealer is more anxious to move the cars on the lot because of the interest cost. Remember, he is buying these cars with borrowed money.
Old 02-18-2004 | 03:45 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jdone
The dealer is more anxious to move the cars on the lot because of the interest cost. Remember, he is buying these cars with borrowed money.
Maybe this is what I was thinking of... Do the dealers get allocated cars without interest for x number of days? Then, after that point, they pay back interest, or at least begin paying interest, or do they pay interest from day one?
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:41 AM
Instructor

bdowell,

When did you get your car? Thanks.