Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me to decide

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me to decide

i am shopping for a car around 35k range...and naturally TL is one of my top choice...but after visiting this forum...i seen alot of complains...could be a result of a first year's model?i guess...but...i want to know what you guys think about those problems and if its worth me to go thru with it...i can probably get a g35 coupe if i want...but i want to see what you guys have to say about TL as well cuz i really like it...

1) known tires problem.
2) noise/rattle
3) bluetooth problem (i have a bluetooth phone and would like to use it)
4) leather quality
5) tires not fit bigger stock rims
6) just first year model stuff

i understand about the FWD and the engine and stuff...i can be ok with it..what do you guys think about those problems? annoying? or people just talking stuff out of their butt on the forum?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 AM
What's a TL?

people are more likely to feel strongly about things that are negative because those are the things you are more liekly to notice. Most people's probelms are minor or feew and far between, but soem people, like Norse, have ahad serious issued. I think that the overall from 99% of people here is that the car is great and that they would do it again if given the opportunity
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
to tell you the truth, i bet there are a ton of people with no problems, and those who have lots of problems, its really the luck of the draw...

the TL is not a first model year car, the platform/engine is the same at the previous gen

I was gonna get the G, but chose the TL because the G's interior is subpar incomparison, good luck with yoru search and decision, either way you really cant go wrong
Old 05-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Advanced

well...i have a civic and a TL type-s in my garage..i have confident in acura/honda...but the fact is that...my type-s and civic have never really given me any problem (they've been out for a while) and seems like this TL is brand new model and ...hearing about people's complains just seems unusual to me...and i know they are serious too...i mean..obviously not only one or 2 people who mentioned the problems....i know sometimes you just unlucky to get stuck with a crappy car...but...seems like the majority of drivers also have little problems...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cTLgo
to tell you the truth, i bet there are a ton of people with no problems, and those who have lots of problems, its really the luck of the draw...

the TL is not a first model year car, the platform/engine is the same at the previous gen

I was gonna get the G, but chose the TL because the G's interior is subpar incomparison, good luck with yoru search and decision, either way you really cant go wrong
its the same engine? as the type-s? cuz i have a type-s..i don't really know what you mean the PLATFORM...cuz...interior is different...exterior is different....the wheelbase is different...so..hmm..i dunno...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

platform, as in base chassis, the engine in the 2004 TL is the SAME at the 2003 Type-S engine, tuned to output 10+ HP... the 2003 TL is based on the Accord Platform, as is the 2004 TL...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

oh and FYI, when the G35 came out, it had 4 recalls and 32 TSBs!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced

ya...i know...thats why i am worried about new cars.....g35 has been around for a while..and has time for minor changes...and personally i don't see as many problems in the g35 as the TL this year...the ONLY major complain about the g35 is that the brembo brake squeak for the first 1000miles....and the dealer actually take care of it for you if you want.....i just hear about how acura doesn't care about u as long as they sold their cars..and stuff...its scary
Old 05-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Most items are not that major - just several people talking about same issue makes it bigger than what it is. I agree - I pay this much money - my expectations go up as the price goes up. So yes, some of these things are annoying, but would they keep someone from buying another TL? Most would say no. Now, some guys are having maybe minor probs, but they are having a ton of them - this is normal, there are always a few bad builds - it is put together by people and people mess up.

My first car was a brand new ford t-bird. From day 1 the rotors on the front kept warping (replaced them 5 times) and the tranny fell apart, torque converter replaced, power windows and locks died etc. Now, I will NEVER purchase FORD again. But a buddy of mine had same car, year model - not one of the problems I had (well, he had the tranny prob I think- it was new for that year) Anyway - there will always be a couple bad ones - these are not cookie-cutters. I persoannly feel it is a lot of car for what you pay. Could it be improved sure, can't everything? Otherwise we'd all be driving black Model T's....
Old 05-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Racer

Never buy a first model year vehicle. If you want a TL wait for the '05's.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Most items are not that major - just several people talking about same issue makes it bigger than what it is. I agree - I pay this much money - my expectations go up as the price goes up. So yes, some of these things are annoying, but would they keep someone from buying another TL? Most would say no. Now, some guys are having maybe minor probs, but they are having a ton of them - this is normal, there are always a few bad builds - it is put together by people and people mess up.

My first car was a brand new ford t-bird. From day 1 the rotors on the front kept warping (replaced them 5 times) and the tranny fell apart, torque converter replaced, power windows and locks died etc. Now, I will NEVER purchase FORD again. But a buddy of mine had same car, year model - not one of the problems I had (well, he had the tranny prob I think- it was new for that year) Anyway - there will always be a couple bad ones - these are not cookie-cutters. I persoannly feel it is a lot of car for what you pay. Could it be improved sure, can't everything? Otherwise we'd all be driving black Model T's....
i totally agree man......but lets say..the tires vibration thing...i think there's at leaast a good 30 people on this forum already said something about it..if not more...and then you have to think about those people won't can't really tell and just go "oh..its normal"..i have no problem of getting a TL since my family lives on acura....but it just seems like THIS particular model...is..how should i put it...trouble-some? i mean...the 2003 TL type-s (which i own) has absolutely no problem...i mean..ya..people were complaining about the tranny or what not..but really realy minimal...not like..this TL...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
ya..thats my worst fear....but i need to get a car within summer time
Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 AM
What's a TL?

There is no good reason to not get a 1st year car
Old 05-06-2004, 11:43 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by takuyaah
i just hear about how acura doesn't care about u as long as they sold their cars..and stuff...its scary
Besides the tire issue, the dealership and factory have been really, really helpful and responsive. In fact, my bumpers are being painted right now because I did not feel that they matched the car well engouh. Acura is paying for that and for my rental car...they even upgraded me to a really nice rental car (as rentals go). With the two Acura's I have had, they have always tried to make things right
Old 05-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
There is no good reason to not get a 1st year car
Yeah there is.

Look at all the ppl that had problems with their TL? Like tire issues, vibration, memory seats, the list goes on and on. Plus they probably paid close to MSRP.

For the '05's all these problems should be fixed.

There are LOTS of good reasons not to get a first year car.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:49 AM
Advanced

thanks for your input vtec and thomas..i agree with thomas about not getting first year's model...as small problems won't have a chance to be fixed.....but i get reassure that the service vtec got from acura..which is nice...thank you
Old 05-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

I haven't read any threads about TL owners turning in their cars because of problems. Acura has broken most of their sales records this year, there is a reason for that. The TL is a great car. Sure, I have posted a couple of complaints about tires and Bluetooth, but this is still the best car I have owned. Getting up in the morning knowing that I'm going to be driving my TL to work makes me a happier person. Enough said.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, I guess everyone has their own "buttons" you know? Tires -yes, this is first time I have ever heard of this flatspotting term, but to me I verified if there was a safety issue with the tire etc. and decided to ride them out, cause I don't want anyone touching my car or trying to fix it with "better EL42s" Tires are something I will replace someday anyway, so to me, yes, I think Acura muffed up, but it would not be a deal breaker. Unlike when Pinto's were exploding - that would distract me somewhat.

seat memory problem - so whats the big deal? Later builds should not have the seat issue at all, so this is a non-issue for a potential buyer.

Headliner - yes, stupid design, but thanks to this forum and my dad's philosphy of "epoxy glue is the best thing since sliced bread" - I fixed it and am done with that.

Paint peels rattles etc...that is a car by car basis I guess. I have neither and mine was built last year. But rattles come and go - that is what the radio is for - who drives around in total silence?

I would go for it - cause there are new things in cars each year - they do not roll out the same car year after year - so it will always have something new and untested in it. Yes, this was a complete redesign so overall I think they did OK. It is by far one of the sexiest, 30K cars out there.

Choice is yours....man, now I sound like a salesman for Acura - Ugh...I have to go shoot myself!

i totally agree man......but lets say..the tires vibration thing...i think there's at leaast a good 30 people on this forum already said something about it..if not more...and then you have to think about those people won't can't really tell and just go "oh..its normal"..i have no problem of getting a TL since my family lives on acura....but it just seems like THIS particular model...is..how should i put it...trouble-some? i mean...the 2003 TL type-s (which i own) has absolutely no problem...i mean..ya..people were complaining about the tranny or what not..but really realy minimal...not like..this TL...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

My VIN is 29XXX. I have experienced none of the problems which seem to have afflicted earlier builds. I've got around 2.5k miles on my TL and it's still solid, smooth, and quiet. I love it....what a great car!
Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jessedog
I haven't read any threads about TL owners turning in their cars because of problems. Acura has broken most of their sales records this year, there is a reason for that. The TL is a great car. Sure, I have posted a couple of complaints about tires and Bluetooth, but this is still the best car I have owned. Getting up in the morning knowing that I'm going to be driving my TL to work makes me a happier person. Enough said.
I know of a guy who made the dealer buy back his 2004 TL after 3 months. It was not under lemon-law, but the dealer volunteered. The guy went and bought a used e39 5-series instead. He said he loved the TL, but had too many problems such as crackling leather, bad torque steer, rattles that just would not go away, and some odd drivetrain noises. He did say that without those problems, he LOVED the car, but he just couldn't take the frustrations anymore. All this said, I realize some people are not having all these problems, so I'm not saying this is happening a lot--I have no idea.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Plus they probably paid close to MSRP.

Only if they do not know how to negotiate!! I paid no where near MSRP - sucker born everyday they say.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
what you guys have to say about TL
1) known tires problem.
2) noise/rattle
3) bluetooth problem (i have a bluetooth phone and would like to use it)
4) leather quality
5) tires not fit bigger stock rims
6) just first year model stuff
1) VIN 28,XXX and older, non-retooled EL42's and no tire problems
2) Only a few rattles which have worked their way out of my TL and every car I've ever owned has had a few rattles
3) No bluetooth phone so no comment
4) I think the leather is perfectly acceptable in a car in this price range. I just Lexol the leather periodically and I think the leather looks great and sits great.
5) ??? Well, my TL is all stock.
6) First year model stuff? Not buying it as I personally don't have any problems that cause me grief. Hell, in 2000 Saab redesigned their 9-3 and I bought the 2001 model and had similar problems to those who had the new first year model. It's all luck of the draw for the most part as the chosen few will have their problems. Will Acura address some of the problems customers are complaining about (i.e. tires, vibration, seat memory module)? Most certainly but it wouldn't keep me away from buying a car if that's the car I thought was the best use of my money.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

this is not a first year model car!!! (in its pure definition)
the RSX was a first year model car when it came out

the only problem i have had is headliner, and the dealer fixed that on the quick. Tires fine, bluetooth fine, leather fine, 35,000 TLs are sold/made a year, only a handful of those are us on this board... and the G35 gets a new interior for 2005

NO car is perfect, every model year will have SOME problem, 2003 TLs last of the 2nd gen, had problems, there's no escaping it. Perfection will never be attained. The TL has flaw, but are very very very very minor imcomparison to other vehicles.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by cTLgo
this is not a first year model car!!! (in its pure definition)
the RSX was a first year model car when it came out

the only problem i have had is headliner, and the dealer fixed that on the quick. Tires fine, bluetooth fine, leather fine, 35,000 TLs are sold/made a year, only a handful of those are us on this board... and the G35 gets a new interior for 2005

NO car is perfect, every model year will have SOME problem, 2003 TLs last of the 2nd gen, had problems, there's no escaping it. Perfection will never be attained. The TL has flaw, but are very very very very minor imcomparison to other vehicles.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:08 PM
100k miles club

here's my take on your listed worries:

1) the known tire issue exists mainly in the east coast coz of the cold weather. i don't recall even seeing one owner from california with this issue. even if there were, the tires are not the same ones they used from the beginning, they are EL42 TU2

2) i did experience the rattle on the passenger door near the speaker. the next day it was gone. dunno what happened. all i know is it was raining that day and my friend sat in the passenger seat with his stupid wind breaker soaked and wet my leather he has been banned from riding in my TL and that's the day the rattle started, but it's gone now

3) don't have a BT phone (stupid nextel is too slow). are you referring to the voice quality or the compatibility? i've only read some people having problems when they do "dial 555-5555" and it picks up different numbers.

4) just like trip11 i use lexol and i'm content with what the leather is on the car. my bro always falls asleep in the passenger seat. he says he's so confortable

5) i have the stock rims and tires and if you're worried about scratching them while parking use the auto rear view mirror that tilts down. for turning well drive more careful i have scratched mine and i drive alot. besides are you gonna keep the stock rims and tires? many get aftermarket anyways. i will once i get my toy fund up to par again.

6) i never really thought about it being a first year build. i looked at my civic which is 4 years old and over 100K, mom's CRV and oddysey and no problems. i didn't care since all the hondas my family owns are driven alot and no problems.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

G35 coupe

Try these links

From G35 forums- Search on listings with "problem" in the post
G35 Coupe

http://g35driver.com/forums/dosearch...=25&Old=1month

G35 Sedan

Old 05-06-2004, 02:38 PM
10th Gear

Love the car

I went through the same dilema as you, Takuyaah. I was all set to buy the car and then read these forums and got a bit nervous. But then I looked at the sales records and did a bit more research...and I checked out message boards of other cars I wanted. You'll find people griping on every single one. I bit the bullet and bought the TL regardless. I've only driven it 700 miles so far, but have experienced no problems.

I'll admit that I've noticed the flatspotting, but if I had never read the thread on it, I probably would not have noticed it. I feel a small vibration in the tires for the first few minutes of driving in the morning, but that's it--only notice it when I try to notice it. My VIN's 40000+.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. I mean, yeah, there's a finite probability you'll get a problem car, but I you could get just as easily screwed on any car make.

My thoughts, anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by youngbuyer
Try these links

From G35 forums- Search on listings with "problem" in the post
G35 Coupe

G35 Sedan

thank you youngbuyer...trust me..i read ALL of those already...but the major problem is just the brembo brakes...which..dealer will fix if not satisfied..so..as a potential buyer..i like to hear that..you know? and all other stuff r just stupid g35 driver who trying to show off..."oh..i got 2 subs in the trunk...when i turn it all loud..my mirrors start vibrating...is it normal?" its like..stupid...but ya...thanks anyway...in my humble opinion..g35 has more problems than the 2004TL when g35 first came out..but..after so many years..(2-3?) they kinda took care of it...
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stikman
I went through the same dilema as you, Takuyaah. I was all set to buy the car and then read these forums and got a bit nervous. But then I looked at the sales records and did a bit more research...and I checked out message boards of other cars I wanted. You'll find people griping on every single one. I bit the bullet and bought the TL regardless. I've only driven it 700 miles so far, but have experienced no problems.

I'll admit that I've noticed the flatspotting, but if I had never read the thread on it, I probably would not have noticed it. I feel a small vibration in the tires for the first few minutes of driving in the morning, but that's it--only notice it when I try to notice it. My VIN's 40000+.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. I mean, yeah, there's a finite probability you'll get a problem car, but I you could get just as easily screwed on any car make.

My thoughts, anyway.
thank you sikman...those r very useful....i personally has problem of "sales record" and stuff...like..i read a report..which states that 60% of cars in US are american cars....you know..in my opinion..US cars are not cheaper..nor better..than japanese cars..and differently not better than german cars..so..why? cuz...i think some people do not buy the car cuz its better.....so..my point is..record sales..have nothing to do with the quality of a car...in my opinion anyway..you think it should..but its not...just like..the whole american idol thing.....i guess =)...but ya..i live in california...blessed by nice weather...i live by san diego...its like..75-80 degree 330 days of the year..so..i think its ok.....since i heard the tire problem is just...a weather problem..but i am still triyng to confirm that..thanks everyone
Old 05-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Advanced

well..since i am told now that the 2004TL is not a new model.....so.where all these problems pop up from? and its not like..any of these problems just happened to one person..u know? i could be lucky..i have 4 cars...3 japanese 1 american..none of them had any problem...my type-s..which you said had problems..i didn't have any....so why do they implement more problems? since its the same model??
Old 05-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

BRO,

first things first..yes there are lots of complaints, BUt a person who has a minor problem with their car are like 10x more likely to say something negative about it, then someone who has no problems with their car..yes it is true, the TL does have some problems - the ones previously mentioned! but nonetheless, the car is a piece of art work..it's an untouchable..it's a proven winnner - not only do consumers rate it high, but it's ranked #1 in many articles, including CONSUMER REPORTS..same can be said for G35...it's a great car, but im sure on their forums, there are MANy problems the car has as well! (interior crap!..brake pads..etc etc etc...)....bottom line, you won't lose with the TL

$.02
Old 05-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TL_2004_CA
BRO,

first things first..yes there are lots of complaints, BUt a person who has a minor problem with their car are like 10x more likely to say something negative about it, then someone who has no problems with their car..yes it is true, the TL does have some problems - the ones previously mentioned! but nonetheless, the car is a piece of art work..it's an untouchable..it's a proven winnner - not only do consumers rate it high, but it's ranked #1 in many articles, including CONSUMER REPORTS..same can be said for G35...it's a great car, but im sure on their forums, there are MANy problems the car has as well! (interior crap!..brake pads..etc etc etc...)....bottom line, you won't lose with the TL

$.02
thank you so much...i think what's wise for me to do is to test drive b4 making a decision...i hav a question...i dunno how to drive a stick (i know the theory..i can drive a bike..just never touched a mt car)...how..can i test drive a car then? i would like a mt version...and...i dun have any friend who i can borrow to learn for an hour or 2....
Old 05-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Instructor

All Infiniti and Nissans have brake problems(G35,350Z)
Recalled....bad bad squeaking noise
cheap cheap nissan~
Old 05-08-2004, 12:19 AM

Nissan at least offered to fix them right away, while Honda still denies the weak ass tranny.
Both cars are sporty and have trade-offs but think, if they offer all the gizmos for a cheap price, something had to give.
Quality. You may enjoy the car but it sure ain't the best built.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I considered and test drove G35, ES330 and TL. I just ordered my TL last week.

Here are my thoughts.

ES330 Elegant, but no fun to drive.
G35
Old 05-08-2004, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I considered and test drove G35, ES330 and TL. I just ordered my TL last week.

Here are my thoughts.

ES330 Elegant, but no fun to drive.
G35 Fun to drive, but nasty cheap interior. (Nissan products seems to depreciate quickly also
TL Best combo of everything that is important to me

Rachel
Old 05-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Advanced

so..what should i do about not knowing how to drive mt (can do it on a motorcycle...i am sure its different on a car)...but i want to buy a mt...and i don't have a friend with mt car...what should i do?!?!how can i test drive?!?!