Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The beauty(TL) or the Beast(G35)
Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your comparing a Infiniti to an Acura you shouldn't even be on any car forum. The reliability, quality, and re-sale value of an Acura/Honda will destroy infiniti to pieces. People seeing problems with there TL are tiny problems that can be resolved, which every car has. Just because no one here is bragging and telling about all the positives of the car doesn't mean the car is full of problems. I have a TL and dont have a single problem with it, the car is just perfect. I mean if your looking for a ugly car inside and out, go for the G35....
Old 03-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DARK6mt
I HAPPEN TO LOVE G35 COUPE TO DEATH.

ITS JUST THE ATTITUDE OF THEIR OWNERS I CAN'T STAND. :yack:
Don't let the attitude of a few bad people make you apply that same attitude to all G owners. That's just not fair, right? Besides, there have been a few posts here about the G, and I have to say there were a lot of TL owners who were less than courteous.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
If your comparing a Infiniti to an Acura you shouldn't even be on any car forum. The reliability, quality, and re-sale value of an Acura/Honda will destroy infiniti to pieces. People seeing problems with there TL are tiny problems that can be resolved, which every car has. Just because no one here is bragging and telling about all the positives of the car doesn't mean the car is full of problems. I have a TL and dont have a single problem with it, the car is just perfect. I mean if your looking for a ugly car inside and out, go for the G35....
That's not even true. The TL resale has not been good. Just try and trade one in! I know from first-hand experience! Infiniti residuals on leases have increased tremendously, pointing them in the direction of higher resale values in the future. Infiniti has turned that corner and Nissan Corporation has increased sales exponentially even over last year. Infiniti has introduced the FX, the QX56, and the new M35/M45 is about to debut next week at the Auto show. There are other models in the wings waiting to be brought forth as concepts, so I say they are on the upswing. I wouldn't let re-sale be a factor in my decision here.

And for such an ugly car, the G sure attracts attention and buyers!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Other than all this bias BS...you got yourself the ugly sedan. :thefinger
Nothing is biased. Remember you guys are the biased ones on a TL forum.

Alot of the things I said were a fact and some were my opinion. Nothing biased at all.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Banned

FYI, just to clarify. I did alot of research between the two cars. The G35 has the best resale value over any car right now, even Lexus. Also reliability is much higher than Acura, performance is better. Styling is personal preference. The Acura looks like a TSX or Accord. The G35 is on its own. Nothing looks like it, and its a sharp car. I got my G35 for 31,200 compared to MSPR 33,5k. The TL they would not budge. Tinny, dunno about that!

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
I had the same dilemma, G-35 vs. TL. At the end of the day, Honda/Acura reliability, performance, resale value, looks, styling edged over Nissan/Infiniti. I wasn't crazy about the exterior styling of the G-35 especially the front end- looks like a bug coming up on you from the back. I intend to keep my car forever, so with that as the main consideration, you can't beat an Acura. The other thing was options. The TL comes fully equipped with only the Navi an option, and when I tried to negotiate the G-35, I got tangled up in my underwear with all the option packages....too complex.
Lastly, the G-35 just seems a bit too "tinny" for me, and I proved it to myself by slamming the door on the both cars. Just do that, and I think your mind will be made up.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by srpatel721
I owned an Infiniti I30t for 7 years. Loved the car, but the service department was awful. I know couple of Infiniti owners who love their cars but hate the service department as well. There are 2 Infiniti service locations near me, tried them both, one of them turned out to be scaming Infiniti Corp, by always breaking something on my car and fixing it under warranty. The other always waited until I had to get an state inspection and would threaten to fail it, if I didn't fix the problems they reported, which costed an arm and leg. I don't know where J D Power & Assoicates get their information to give Infiniti an award for Customer Service, they are all paid off as far as I am concerned.

I bought a TL just in the past 2 weeks and I love it.

Abyss Blue/Camel/Nav/5AT.
Dealers are independently owned. The sad part is some are bad some are good. But 90% of the Infiniti dealers are just as good as Lexus. You just happen to come across a bad one or two.

When I had my Acura, I was pleased with the service, but had issues with them as well. But Infiniti, never a issue, and they even did things while I waited for me real quick without me even asking!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by garylee55
I agree 100%. Of course, expect to get flamed when you are preferring another vehicle over the vehicle of the Forum that you are posting. It is an individual choice, but they are such different platforms, I find them hard to even compare. With all the Tl issues, past and present, I say go with the G. I owned one wnd now own an FX and have found both products superior to the TL-S I owned.

Most people in her don't like the G, so it is a bad place to ask for that advice.
I have to agree. When you post something like this that might be against the CAR that the forum is on, it can happen and will most likely. But if everyone acts like adults, and agree to the fact that nothing I said isn't true, we won't have a problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

I HAPPEN TO LOVE G35 COUPE TO DEATH.

ITS JUST THE ATTITUDE OF THEIR OWNERS I CAN'T STAND. :yack:
Yea seems to me I was thinking the same thing about the new TL owners. :bowdown:
Old 03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DopeTL04
WRONG... Infiniti G35 is much higher than Acura right now period, even Lexus. Here is one opinion that is biased. Ugly car, give it up.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

That's not even true. The TL resale has not been good. Just try and trade one in! I know from first-hand experience! Infiniti residuals on leases have increased tremendously, pointing them in the direction of higher resale values in the future. Infiniti has turned that corner and Nissan Corporation has increased sales exponentially even over last year. Infiniti has introduced the FX, the QX56, and the new M35/M45 is about to debut next week at the Auto show. There are other models in the wings waiting to be brought forth as concepts, so I say they are on the upswing. I wouldn't let re-sale be a factor in my decision here.

I was just going to post that last line you did. How come its such a ugly car but everyone is comparing it!? lol whatever.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Old 03-31-2004, 04:14 PM
Instructor

I disagree!!! Infiniti resales don't even come close to Acura/Honda. You must have had a bad experience!!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Banned

I disagree!!! Infiniti resales don't even come close to Acura/Honda. You must have had a bad experience!!

OMG, please come back when your done smoking. Read up, you will see Infiniti is higher, much higher than Acura. Acura isn't even on the list anymore.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Another thing to remember about these forums is that most posters are relatively knowledgeable about their TL's (otherwise we wouldn't be here) and we're picky (otherwise, again, we wouldn't be here.)

Someone who's completely satisfied with their TL (or G35 for that matter) may or may not find this forum and say so... but those who do find a small problem here and there tend to seek out forum's like this to solve their problems.

My point is that these forums are not necessarily a good indicator of how problematic the builds are for these near lucury/sports sedans. In forums you should *expect* to hear a relatively large percentage of the participants to complain. It doesn't mean that all TL's or even the majority of them are seeing all the problems that are being discussed.

I have a 35XXX vin and have seen none of the problems discussed except for the exhaust resonance noise between 1500-1900 rpm and I'm still not convinced it's even a problem. 3 other TL owners in my area that I know also are trouble free.

Don't base your buying decision on the TL vs. G35 on all the whining and complaining that you hear on these forums... we're hear to get answers to problems. Bottomline is that either way, you'll get a great car.

Personally, I chose the TL because of it's refined interior as compared to the G35. I don't push my cars *that* hard but I spend a hell of a lot more time in the inside of my car than looking at the exterior of it. The TL's great interior is what did it for me.

Finally, I say it's personal because what was important to me 10 years ago isn't anymore. I'm 30 years old and this is the 5th car I've owned. Ask me 5 years ago and the G35 is a no brainer for me. Now, I appreciate different things and the TL is a no brainer.

As always, YMMV.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD

OMG, please come back when your done smoking. Read up, you will see Infiniti is higher, much higher than Acura. Acura isn't even on the list anymore.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Look in Kelly blue book and you will see differently. I can quote you from 2000, 2001, 2002
Old 03-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Banned

Look in Kelly blue book and you will see differently. I can quote you from 2000, 2001, 2002
I don't have to look buddy. I read the latest report from the people who make the used car values. And Infiniti is higher than Lexus. Acura wasn't on the list! I have the link at my house, so when I am at home tonight I will post it so you can get some reading in.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by jackal2001
I made up my mind. I WILL NOT BE BUYING A TL!!!
I seriously had my mind set on this car but thank god I found this forum.

Paint Problems
Rattles
Vibration at 50MPH
Crappy Tires
Headliner falling down
Seat memory doesn't work
Bluetooth button needs to be replaced.

Screw this, even though I love the styling of the car I will look further at the G35
Hmmm. I've been there and done that. I think my picture is up on the back rooms of every dealership in So. Fla.

Paint problems are endemic to the industry. Water based paints are harder and more prone to chipping. G35 owners are livid about it. If you noticed, there are little clear films in front of the rear wheel openings to try and abate the chipping.

The tire complaints are the usual for low-profile performance tires with a low aspect ratio. Most complaints come from northern climes in winter's cold weather where the develop flat spots when the car sits for a while. They work out when you drive it. OR, you could opt for big fat comfortable tires that don't handle well. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Ferrari and others use these same tires or a version of them (see www.bridgestone.com)

The errant seat memory seems to have a TSB and a free fix. Not a biggee for me since I am the only driver.

I don't know anything about the Bluetooth button needing replacement. For sure, you won't have to worry about that on the G35. It doesn't have Bluetooth.

I have heard that some folks have had missing clips on the headliner near the sun roof. Easily fixed. Another thing you won't have to worry about on the G35 unless you order the optional premium package ($2500).

You also won't have to worry about problems with the DVD-Audio player, the satellite radio, the voice commands, the dual HVAC, etc., etc.

A brief visit to FreshAlloy.com will reveal that our G35 friends have serious issues with their audio systems. The reason I chose the TL, however, came down to looks and reliability. I love the G35 Coupe. I love that engine :worship: and rear wheel drive. It just looks ordinary and pedestrian to me. The interior is gloomy and industrial looking. It was 50-50 for many long weeks.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Sheesh. All the bickering about resale values. Again, both the TL and G35 will have good resale values.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/10/pf/a...etained_value/
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/

Geez. Be sane about this people. Both will have good resale values.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

There are complaints on the CD disc changer not reading CDR's well. Well you know, it wasn't made to read those. lol. But I haven't had a problem with any of my CDRs yet, and supposely the 04 Stereos are a little better. My 04 Bose sounds better than the TL stereo. IT has better mid range. The TLs sounded a bit tinny to me. Too much highs.

Originally Posted by xpditor42
Hmmm. I've been there and done that. I think my picture is up on the back rooms of every dealership in So. Fla.

Paint problems are endemic to the industry. Water based paints are harder and more prone to chipping. G35 owners are livid about it. If you noticed, there are little clear films in front of the rear wheel openings to try and abate the chipping.

The tire complaints are the usual for low-profile performance tires with a low aspect ratio. Most complaints come from northern climes in winter's cold weather where the develop flat spots when the car sits for a while. They work out when you drive it. OR, you could opt for big fat comfortable tires that don't handle well. BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, Ferrari and others use these same tires or a version of them (see www.bridgestone.com)

The errant seat memory seems to have a TSB and a free fix. Not a biggee for me since I am the only driver.

I don't know anything about the Bluetooth button needing replacement. For sure, you won't have to worry about that on the G35. It doesn't have Bluetooth.

I have heard that some folks have had missing clips on the headliner near the sun roof. Easily fixed. Another thing you won't have to worry about on the G35 unless you order the optional premium package ($2500).

You also won't have to worry about problems with the DVD-Audio player, the satellite radio, the voice commands, the dual HVAC, etc., etc.

A brief visit to FreshAlloy.com will reveal that our G35 friends have serious issues with their audio systems. The reason I chose the TL, however, came down to looks and reliability. I love the G35 Coupe. I love that engine :worship: and rear wheel drive. It just looks ordinary and pedestrian to me. The interior is gloomy and industrial looking. It was 50-50 for many long weeks.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Here is the link...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-02-24-residual.htm

Residual value is what makes up the resale value on cars today.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
I went to look at the G35 before I was even considering a TL. I walked around the G35, looked inside, thought :yack:, and left.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:25 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Here is the link...

This really doesn't mean crap. A great indicator of resale value is how good the car leases. When I was looking at G35's and TL's, the G35 definitely didn't lease any better than the TL so I guess the banks aren't buying your BS 6spd.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:26 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by NYTHAWK
I went to look at the G35 before I was even considering a TL. I walked around the G35, looked inside, thought :yack:, and left.
I can't tell you how many times I've mistaken an Altima for one of these 4-doors on the freeway, especially when they are black. I've never looked at an Accord and mistaken it for a TL though.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Swat Dude
This really doesn't mean crap. A great indicator of resale value is how good the car leases. When I was looking at G35's and TL's, the G35 definitely didn't lease any better than the TL so I guess the banks aren't buying your BS 6spd.
lol, wrong. I just stated a fact and your opinion is useless here.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I've mistaken an Altima for one of these 4-doors

That's exactly what I thought when I went to look at one, reminds me of an Altima.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Are you related to HardDrivin??? You mean just because its on the web means its true???? We had this conversation last night. I suppose you believe in that poor bastard the devil boy on the front of the STAR rag.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

http://www.e-testicles.com/
Old 03-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Here is the link...

http://www.e-penis.net/
Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Banned

Are you related to HardDrivin??? You mean just because its on the web means its true???? We had this conversation last night. I suppose you believe in that poor bastard the devil boy on the front of the STAR rag.
Okay, see this is what was mentioned earlier about a few TL owners thinking they are badass and nothing is better. Please grow up, and come back when you can have a adult conversation. Everything was fine till you came around and ruined this thread which had alot of good information.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Okay, see this is what was mentioned earlier about a few TL owners thinking they are badass and nothing is better. Please grow up, and come back when you can have a adult conversation. Everything was fine till you came around and ruined this thread which had alot of good information.
Since when have you ever been part of a thread with good information???? The only time you show up is when someone mentions the G35. I haven't seen you in any other threads on this site unless it involves challenging someone on their TL. And as usual, you assign some viewpoint to me that is simply not true. I am fully aware of the shortcomings of my TL and have expressed these in numerous threads that you wouldn't know about because the letters "G35" did not appear in them.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

Since when have you ever been part of a thread with good information???? The only time you show up is when someone mentions the G35. I haven't seen you in any other threads on this site unless it involves challenging someone on their TL. And as usual, you assign some viewpoint to me that is simply not true. I am fully aware of the shortcomings of my TL and have expressed these in numerous threads that you wouldn't know about because the letters "G35" did not appear in them.
You have nothing good to say except attacks. Please go away.

How is it not true. My link is a fact. You can't deny that. I won't continue this childish arguements with you.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

I'm the antagonist???? Aha, whatever. This was started way before I showed up. You are the one with the attitude trolling this sight to convince everyone how cool your G35 is.

...and like the last time you were here, we still aren't buying it. In fact, we didn't buy the G35 and that is why we are here. Please let me explain so you can understand:
Swat Dude=TL owner, Acura-TL.com=Swat Dude learning about mods and problems with TL.
TL_6spd=jumping in every chance to defend G35=totally biased opinion=wants to argue=wastes everyone's time.

Understand now????
Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

The G35 has the best resale value over any car right now, even Lexus. Also reliability is much higher than Acura, performance is better. The Acura looks like a TSX or Accord. The G35 is on its own. Nothing looks like it, and its a sharp car. I got my G35 for 31,200 compared to MSPR 33,5k. The TL they would not budge. Tinny, dunno about that!

Ahh, so much opinion. That's nice that you feel that way, except for the fact that the G35 looks like an Altima.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
100k miles club

keep in mind that the g35 is the U.S. version of a skyline but not as powerful as the original because of the laws that govern this country...

i still love my TL
Old 03-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

By the way, here are my facts. Just goes to show I guess if you look long enough you can find "facts" to support just about anything.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/infi...v..4.Infiniti*

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acur...enav..4.Acura*

TL Depreciation 5 year=$17,259
G35 Depreciation 5 year=$17,149

Yep, TL_6spd, that is a huge difference!

But wait...

TL 5-year repair costs=$846
G35 5-year repair costs=1,003
Old 03-31-2004, 07:33 PM
100k miles club

nice find swat dude. i learn new things every hour in this forum
Old 03-31-2004, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Talking

I looked at both, but went with the TL because it had more driver room and lots of cool creature features
Old 03-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by yzfrebel
I looked at both, but went with the TL because it had more driver room and lots of cool creature features
I agree. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, it all boils down to personal opinion. That's why I get real tired of the G35 owners starting SH#$ on this forum just for the sake of arguring. I not saying I don't welcome G35 owners to this forum for info exchange but the guys that start spewing a bunch of put downs and attacks, quoting so called "facts" just annoy the piss out of me.

Quick Reply: HELP: can't decide on TL or G35