Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: can't decide on TL or G35

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 05:45 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP: can't decide on TL or G35

I need a hand deciding what car to buy. I have been reading the posts here and it seems like you guys are having problems with the TL. I need opinions to help me dicide. I love the interior on the TL, far supperior to the G. But the G is now in AWD and the performance seems a bit above the TL. I also hear that the G is getting an interior face lift for 2005. I live in NH so the AWD of the G is a plus for me. But, i have driven VWs all my life and i have never had a problem with FWD. Please HELP!!! Also has anybody used there screen in the NAV car for video yet?? Is this possible?? I know it is in the G..
Old 03-31-2004, 06:38 AM
Instructor

I made up my mind. I WILL NOT BE BUYING A TL!!!
I seriously had my mind set on this car but thank god I found this forum.

Paint Problems
Rattles
Vibration at 50MPH
Crappy Tires
Headliner falling down
Seat memory doesn't work
Bluetooth button needs to be replaced.

Screw this, even though I love the styling of the car I will look further at the G35
Old 03-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Jackal - I've not had any of the problems mentioned above.....please remember, that a forum is an excellent place to "vent your frustrations" with your particular car. There are thousands....hell, tens of thousands of people that are extremely happy with their TL and don't have any problems with their TL.

The only problem I've encountered is a rattle on my passenger side which seems to have worked itself out on its own. Everything else seems to be operating as it should.

Have you visited the G35 forums? Check out freshalloy....they have problems with their cars too....hell, every car is going to have its problems. Once again, I'm not dismissing those TL'ers who have had major problems but just know there are plenty of TL'ers out there with none.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
I'm a G35 owner (23,000 miles). I like my car a lot. Why am I on this forum? I've owned six Honda/Acuras, and six Nissan/Infinitis (and 46 cars total). I love cars.

As far as problems, I agree that if you go on any forum, you will find what appears to be a lot of problems. Remember you are looking at a sampling of people who tend to be very vocal in whatever their experiences are. Also, I have been on some other forums a whole lot and I can tell you that there is a human tendency that they can be critical of their own car, but they will defend their car to the death to outsiders.

I think the TL and G35 are both very good cars, and your decision should come down to personal preference. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:25 AM
Pro

I agree with jjsC5. You will find what sounds like a million problems with any and every car if you look at the forums. Lexus isn't perfect either, although I do believe they have better service. I think you have to base your decision on the car you prefer. Which do you like the styling of better? Which do you like the handling and power of more? What do you think about FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD? How about the value for money. I think the cars you are comparing are both great cars. I preferred the TL overall especially the styling and FWD for me living in Canada. I know other guys who preferred the G35. Really it comes down to personal preferences here.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Have you test-driven both? I drove both the G35x and TL a couple times before finally settling on the TL. (Ultimately, I just could not get past the interior of the G35x.) By the way, are you more interested in a manual or automatic transmission? If you want a manual, the G35x only comes in Automatic, which I ultimately disliked.

Anyway, I imagine that you already know about the G35s all-wheel-drive set-up, but if you don't check out the most recent issue of the Automobile (April '04) which compares it to the Audi. Interesting results, I think, and (btw) positive for G35x.

However, I was unimpressed with G35x handling (it really felt "loose" at the edges of performance, relative to BMW or TL) when I was test driving just a couple weeks ago. I was so surprised that I initiated a thread on FreshAlloy to try and sort out my experience. (When I test drove G35x a week later, it did much better, but by then I had doubts in my mind, and you know how that is...) That said, I think the G35 is a great car; just didn't quite fit my particular needs as well as TL.

to view the freshalloy thread that I started on G35x awd:
(http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1)
Old 03-31-2004, 08:03 AM
Advanced

before my maxima lease ran out last year

i was all set on getting the G35, it looked really cool in the pics and was highly rated by all carmags. Testdrove it and loved the raw acceleration and handling of the car - bottomline a very fun car to drive and was all set on it. Then on a whim, I went to an acura dealership for shits and giggles (as it was only a mile from my gf's place). End of story. my primary reasons for picking the TL:

1. Interior
While I never thought the G35 interior was crappy, the TL just blew me away - it was just as good as the audi A4 which in my mind at the time was the standard for interior layout and build.

2. Exterior - for both the G35 and TL, I believe the G35 coupe is a sleek car, can't say the same for the sedan (it just doesn't go with 4 doors). I especially loved the BMW inspired rear end of the TL - after 4 months with the car, i can say that everyone keeps asking about me car's inspired buns.

3. Best value for money among the nearlux cars in its class.

You can probably deduce from above that i'm lean more towards the lux side and that's where the battle was worn. Nevertheless, this is one powerful FWD that will pull you through the snow and up those impossible NH driveways (you'll absolutely need new tires though - and none of that bridgestone crap please). Yes, bad tires were the only real problem i faced (memory seat issue was fixed with the TSB and most recent builds don't have it).

regards,
des
Old 03-31-2004, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jackal2001

Paint Problems
Rattles
Vibration at 50MPH
Crappy Tires
Headliner falling down
Seat memory doesn't work

Screw this, even though I love the styling of the car I will look further at the G35
those are all things that have been found to be problems on the car. but its a very small number of people that have this problem. all new production cars will experience bugs like this. I am not sure if you have been on a G35 forum but there are probably problems with that car as well. doesn't mean its not a good car. Of course in the forum you will hear more problems than praises.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:49 AM
Racer

Having owned both cars, I would recommend the TL. The G35 is superior in handling and performance hands down. The TL has more amenities, a much better interior, a quieter ride, and better looks. Torque steer is a concern, but I know when it is coming, so I am prepared for it.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by caball88
those are all things that have been found to be problems on the car. but its a very small number of people that have this problem. all new production cars will experience bugs like this. I am not sure if you have been on a G35 forum but there are probably problems with that car as well. doesn't mean its not a good car. Of course in the forum you will hear more problems than praises.
Paint quality is a common theme on the the Acura and Infiniti forums.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RhodeRunner
Having owned both cars, I would recommend the TL. The G35 is superior in handling and performance hands down. The TL has more amenities, a much better interior, a quieter ride, and better looks. Torque steer is a concern, but I know when it is coming, so I am prepared for it.
Don't want to quibble (but will anyway ). To the degree that handling/performance are subjective, "hands down" is an awfully strong way to describe the difference between G35 and TL in terms of performance ...

In my aggressive long-term test drives, I felt that the TL handled as well as G35 and performed with similar accleration, etc.; even so, the G35 is clearly better balanced and designed with a nod toward performance over ride quality.

And, it is only this latter point--how the cars are designed--that I think the biggest differences reside.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Racer

I would definetly go with the TL over the G35, its not even a issue. I've only had my TL for about 2 months, but I have had 0 problems with it!! Every little thing about the TL is amazing. Quite honestly, the G35 sedan is absolutely ugly. The coupe is nice, but i personally dont like 2 doors....the money you spend for the TL you get much more for....plus you cant get vtech anywhere else!!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:26 AM
Safety Car

Don't automatically associate better handling with rwd and assume fwd is crap. i admit that i prefer rwd when it comes to a nice handling ride but the TL handles very nicely for a fwd car. its smooth and balanced through the turns. i do feel some torque steer but its minimal at best. how many of us take 90 degree turns at 50mph and then shoot out if it at 90mph? i don't know about you guys but i don't push it that hard to feel the torque steer really pull the car that much. i do drive spirited sometimes and accelerating hard through a corner which will force the car to jiggle a little. but when you do that with rwd you will start to feel the fish tail sensation.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Get the TL.

Bottom line is that you can't let us decide for you. Do your homework. Test drive the cars. Make a list of the what is important to you in a car and then see which car meets more of the criteria. I chose the Acura and don't regret it for a second.

Let us choose for you and then anytime something goes wrong, you can blame it on this forum. :banghead:
Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tristero
Don't want to quibble (but will anyway ). To the degree that handling/performance are subjective, "hands down" is an awfully strong way to describe the difference between G35 and TL in terms of performance ...

In my aggressive long-term test drives, I felt that the TL handled as well as G35 and performed with similar accleration, etc.; even so, the G35 is clearly better balanced and designed with a nod toward performance over ride quality.

And, it is only this latter point--how the cars are designed--that I think the biggest differences reside.
I am comparing a manual transmission G35 to the auto TL, so I know that the results will be skewed. However, the G35 has better low end torque and is much better in corners. On the down side, the ride is a lot more harsh, and there is much more cabin noise in the G35.

I drove the G35 sedan for about a year, so I know the car very well.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Racer

I am comparing a manual transmission G35 to the auto TL, so I know that the results will be skewed. However, the G35 has better low end torque and is much better in corners. On the down side, the ride is a lot more harsh, and there is much more cabin noise in the G35.

I never owned a G35, but I test drove it extensively, and even lived with one for few days while trading cars with a friend at work. I pretty much concur with RR's take on them, although I experienced the trannies opposite his; my TL is 6MT, my friend's G is 5AT. I've also test driven a G35S with 6MT. It's not that the TL handled poorly, but the G35 was clearly the better handling car, IMO.

Both cars have excellent power; the G has better low end grunt but sounds raspier, the TL's motor is more refined.

I also prefer the TL's interior, though I'm very interested in checking out the G's interior upgrade this year. I bought the TL, but the G ran a *very* close second, and sometimes I still wonder.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by UminChu
I never owned a G35, but I test drove it extensively, and even lived with one for few days while trading cars with a friend at work. I pretty much concur with RR's take on them, although I experienced the trannies opposite his; my TL is 6MT, my friend's G is 5AT. I've also test driven a G35S with 6MT. It's not that the TL handled poorly, but the G35 was clearly the better handling car, IMO.

Both cars have excellent power; the G has better low end grunt but sounds raspier, the TL's motor is more refined.

I also prefer the TL's interior, though I'm very interested in checking out the G's interior upgrade this year. I bought the TL, but the G ran a *very* close second, and sometimes I still wonder.
I agree, G35 Coupe was very closely ranked, and I still wonder sometimes. Its the FWD, RWD..... see handling is of course a real focus when it comes to performance. I was looking at 330ci, then 350Z, then the G35Coupe....and its strange how I ended up with the TL....
Being 25 years old, I feel that maybe I should have gotten the G35 Coupe, then I think about the winter weather and where I live, a little outside of philly, many up hills and it made me forget the RWD. I wish I can have enough money to have 2 cars.....if I did, I think I would have gotten the Coupe.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
Racer

Three things that sealed my decision to get the TL. First, comfort, the door presses my left shoulderand right leg; the console presses my right leg; after much of a trip, I'm sore. There is less driver comfort than a TL or 330i. Second, noise, the noise of the drumming G35 gets really bothersome after a couple hundred miles. Third, handling, I don't know how you guys drive, but I put the G35 into traction control 3 times a day. Every freeway on ramp, especially on wet roads, the tail comes out just after the turn apex and the power shuts off. If you turn off the traction control, you're going backwards. If you drive like my dad, this won't happen, but this is not why you buy this class of car. I can and do drift the TL, very predictably as I can a 330i but I can't safely drift a G35.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by partagas
Three things that sealed my decision to get the TL. First, comfort, the door presses my left shoulderand right leg; the console presses my right leg; after much of a trip, I'm sore. There is less driver comfort than a TL or 330i. Second, noise, the noise of the drumming G35 gets really bothersome after a couple hundred miles. Third, handling, I don't know how you guys drive, but I put the G35 into traction control 3 times a day. Every freeway on ramp, especially on wet roads, the tail comes out just after the turn apex and the power shuts off. If you turn off the traction control, you're going backwards. If you drive like my dad, this won't happen, but this is not why you buy this class of car. I can and do drift the TL, very predictably as I can a 330i but I can't safely drift a G35.
how do you drift a FWD? I am a novice, so I am asking because my friends told me its only RWD or AWD.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

you can drift any car, just go fast and make a turn hard, the car will start to slide out. its easier to drift a rwd car because you can do it at low speeds. apply lots of power to the rear wheels and turn the car. since the grip of the tires is overcome by the engine power it will not be able to grip and the rear end will start to slide in the opposite direction of the steering wheel direction. so for instance turn the wheel left and hammer the gas and the rear end will come around to the right side(counter clockwise). you cannot do this on fwd or awd(unless there is an awd lockout like the skyline).
Old 03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackal2001

Paint Problems
Rattles
Vibration at 50MPH
Crappy Tires
Headliner falling down
Seat memory doesn't work

You should join a G35 forum :lol1:

I think you are severly affected by opinions and exaggeration. The only thin I have to agree with you is the tires, but the problam has been resolved.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Ahhhh... And, I test drove a G35x, which is only available in automatic, against the TL 6MT. That explains, precisely, the discrepancy of our impressions.

I later drove the G35 manual (no AWD, though) and was more impressed, though by then I had already made up my mind as I live in a climate/location whether FWD or AWD made a difference.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:57 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A couple things you should think about before buying a G35:
1. I put a deposit on a G35 6MT and waited 4 months with no car before getting my deposit back and buying a TL off the lot. It took them a week to get the A-SPEC kit and install it. You might have to wait a long time if you want a 6MT
2. Beware of the G35 seats. The seat controls can cause significant right leg pain. Even a long test drive doesn't seem to predict this problem according the G35driver.com forums. The TSB mods don't seem to help. Although this is a problem for a minority of G35 drivers, if it happens, it's a major bummer. Several people have put their cars up for sale because of it. The TL seats are great with the most incredible lumbar support I've experienced.
3. Other than RWD, you get a lot more for your money with a TL

Your choice...just be forwarned!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Racer

Having the 6MT with summer tires, IMHO the TL is as good a handling car as you could want up to about 9/10s capability. If you like to let the rear end hang out and occasionally reach the limit, then get the G35. If you are like me and appreciate good handling, but don't drive at the limit, the TL is great. BTW, I have had ZERO problems with my 6MT.
Banned

Actually I hardly ever see a problem post on the G35 forums about the cars. It seems they are well built to me. That is why I have one, and had 0 problems.

Originally Posted by tripp11
Jackal - I've not had any of the problems mentioned above.....please remember, that a forum is an excellent place to "vent your frustrations" with your particular car. There are thousands....hell, tens of thousands of people that are extremely happy with their TL and don't have any problems with their TL.

The only problem I've encountered is a rattle on my passenger side which seems to have worked itself out on its own. Everything else seems to be operating as it should.

Have you visited the G35 forums? Check out freshalloy....they have problems with their cars too....hell, every car is going to have its problems. Once again, I'm not dismissing those TL'ers who have had major problems but just know there are plenty of TL'ers out there with none.
Racer

To drift, even lose a G35, you do not need to hammer the throttle. Just enter a 270 on ramp quickly and maintain your speed. As the radius diminishes, the rear end will start to snap around. The traction control will cut the power, leaving you a wounded duck on the on ramp. In the wet, look out. With a 330i, this process is easily controllable and a major source of fun. With a TL, it has very high flat cornering limits, higher than the other two but it's fwd. On the same diminishing radius turn, the TL will do this weird sideways drift which will widen with power and tighten with throttle lift off. It is perfectly predictable and very slow moving and easy to control. Its exit speed is better than either of the other two.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by caball88
you can drift any car, just go fast and make a turn hard ... you cannot do this on fwd or awd(unless there is an awd lockout like the skyline).
Actually the conversation about drift highlights the other reason I decided against the G35x. When test driving I managed not only to get a little bit of "drift" (RWD fans claim that a little bit of drift improves performance because, as you come of the turn, you steer by throttling up bring the car back into a line) but I actually induced a nearly 90 degree slide (i.e. on the verge of spinning out.) I did this twice when test driving very fast and hard through a twisty, hilly, metropark near my home. I could not do this with the 330xi or the TL (both manual and the G35x being automatic.)

The relative "looseness" of the G35x disturbed me (and the AWD system in the G35x only kicks in at the margins). By the way, I could not replicate this behavior in the G35 RWD. Of course, my tests were hardly scientific. The folks on the Infiniti forum (Fresh Alloy) thought it might be because of the test model. It could have been the particular conditions or my own ineptitude/inexperience. Who knows? I simply did not car to repeat the experience once I owned the car or in the middle of a snowstorm...

Thus,I narrowed my choice to BMW 330xi and the TL.

Even after my experience, by the way, if the G35x had a nicer interior, I might still have gone for it... I really liked that car!!! And, I am not sure one can go wrong in the near-luxury/sports sedan class. There are a bunch of really great vehicles out there!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM
Banned

The Sedans ride is just as quiet but even smoother than the TL with the sport package on both. The coupes ride however was a bit more noisy.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

When the G first came out, I was sold. It's powerful, sleek, and affordable. there was no question in my mind......until I saw the TL. The exterior, IMHO, is much more sleek-looking. As for interior....well, for right now, there's no comparison. The TL's interior is very nice indeed. My VIN is 29XXX, I'm about to crack 1k miles, and thus far I have experienced NONE of the problems mentioned throughout the forum. The car is smooth, quiet, rattle and vibration free, and solid. My seat/mirror memory hasn't failed me yet, either. It will be very interesting to see what the re-done G interior looks like for the 2005 model. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either car....it basically boils down to which one "moves" you more. I STILL smile every time I climb in my TL....it just feels SO right!

Enjoy your search!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

I am just the oposite of these guys. I had a deposit on a 2004 TL 6MT, and was going to get it! That is how close I was!

I test drove both cars 3 times, 30 minutes each. I was having a hell of a time deciding between the two. I tossed around alot of ideas. Why would I want a car that is FWD and 270 hp. I am more into the fun factor, but also need room. I bought at the end a 04 G35 6MT Sedan. I love it. The interior is very well built, very high qualities except for the painted plastic. But that doesn't bother me or anyone I know who sits in the car and thinks its really nice!

The G35 has no known problems. The TL has many. The TL 6spd I drove (I drove 2 of them), both had tire problems, had a panel broken under the glove box already. I saw many quality issues and I couldn't find any in the G35. Though the Interior of the TL is awesome, and I still love it, it feels more cramped to me. The seats are comfy, but too soft and the leather will tear easy. The G35 seats are fine, no problems with the seat controls at all, and I drive 100 miles a day for work alone. I never have a issue with those seat controls. I can't even feel them. I have no clue how some of these people sit in the car to feel those! More storage space in the G35, more front leg, height, room in the G, but more width in the TL by only a little bit. The G35 has less leg space in the back, but more head and width in the rear. Thet trunk on the G35 was a big selling point to me, because I needed space for my equipment I use. The G had more space in the trunk than the TL did.

Power and handling, the G35 is much faster than the TL from a stop. On the highway, its hard to say, both are strong.

If your into power mods, the TL is not the car to get, you will never be able to boost it, or put headers on it. (manifold is built into the block). It also has high compression. The G35 is making over 400 at the wheels with bolt on turbo or SC kits now!

Handling, both are close, but the G35 is more nimble, and more fun to toss around. The TL wanted to push in the turns, when the G35 went through it with a perfect apex. Yes, I turn off VDC to have some fun and bring the tail around, and its pretty easy to do if you get on the gas in a turn, but with VDC on, you won't be able to do this at all.

Overall, I got the G35, and now have 4000 miles. Not a single problem. Service is better than Acura. I had a CL-S and loved the car, hated the tranny issues. But quality is even better than that car.

Drive both several times, and see which one you like the best. It is a very hard decision. I had a hard time deciding myself.

My friend just got a TL and he even said my car is much better in handling and power. He knew that before he even got the TL, but he wanted more gadgets.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL_6SPD
I am just the oposite of these guys. I had a deposit on a 2004 TL 6MT, and was going to get it! That is how close I was!

I test drove both cars 3 times, 30 minutes each. I was having a hell of a time deciding between the two. I tossed around alot of ideas. Why would I want a car that is FWD and 270 hp. I am more into the fun factor, but also need room. I bought at the end a 04 G35 6MT Sedan. I love it. The interior is very well built, very high qualities except for the painted plastic. But that doesn't bother me or anyone I know who sits in the car and thinks its really nice!

The G35 has no known problems. The TL has many. The TL 6spd I drove (I drove 2 of them), both had tire problems, had a panel broken under the glove box already. I saw many quality issues and I couldn't find any in the G35. Though the Interior of the TL is awesome, and I still love it, it feels more cramped to me. The seats are comfy, but too soft and the leather will tear easy. The G35 seats are fine, no problems with the seat controls at all, and I drive 100 miles a day for work alone. I never have a issue with those seat controls. I can't even feel them. I have no clue how some of these people sit in the car to feel those! More storage space in the G35, more front leg, height, room in the G, but more width in the TL by only a little bit. The G35 has less leg space in the back, but more head and width in the rear. Thet trunk on the G35 was a big selling point to me, because I needed space for my equipment I use. The G had more space in the trunk than the TL did.

Power and handling, the G35 is much faster than the TL from a stop. On the highway, its hard to say, both are strong.

If your into power mods, the TL is not the car to get, you will never be able to boost it, or put headers on it. (manifold is built into the block). It also has high compression. The G35 is making over 400 at the wheels with bolt on turbo or SC kits now!

Handling, both are close, but the G35 is more nimble, and more fun to toss around. The TL wanted to push in the turns, when the G35 went through it with a perfect apex. Yes, I turn off VDC to have some fun and bring the tail around, and its pretty easy to do if you get on the gas in a turn, but with VDC on, you won't be able to do this at all.

Overall, I got the G35, and now have 4000 miles. Not a single problem. Service is better than Acura. I had a CL-S and loved the car, hated the tranny issues. But quality is even better than that car.

Drive both several times, and see which one you like the best. It is a very hard decision. I had a hard time deciding myself.

My friend just got a TL and he even said my car is much better in handling and power. He knew that before he even got the TL, but he wanted more gadgets.
Other than all this bias BS...you got yourself the ugly sedan. :thefinger
Old 03-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Racer

The Sedans ride is just as quiet but even smoother than the TL with the sport package on both. The coupes ride however was a bit more noisy.
To each his own. In my opinion, you are way off.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
100k miles club

i almost went for the g35 coupe but a couple of things changed my mind

1) too many options! navi is $2000 (same as TL) but in order to get navi you must upgrade stereo which is another $2000 :rocketwho

2) you get more for your money w/ TL and as far as quality and workmanship so far i haven't had any problems, although i've only had mine for 4 days i've already driven it close to 400 miles but no rattle or vibration

3) i'm 25 years old but look very young. this is my first car and no one co-signed, it's all me. if i stepped out of a G35 coupe the impressions i might get is "what a spoiled brat!" or "your momma just called and wants her car back!" versus if i step out of a TL it might give a "damn he must have a good job!" - these are just things i think about, you might have a different view

4) seen too many g35 on the streets

5) voice recognition and bluetooth on TL

6) quieter ride in TL versus hearing G35 exhaust

7) have had hondas for a long time and drive over 100 miles a day, no problems - so why go to a different manufacturer

those are just a couple of things that help me decide to get a TL. hope that helps
Old 03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by w1n78
i almost went for the g35 coupe but a couple of things changed my mind

1) too many options! navi is $2000 (same as TL) but in order to get navi you must upgrade stereo which is another $2000 :rocketwho

I agree with you there i almost got the coupe as well. forcing you to get the stereo upgrade was a real bummer.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:44 PM
Instructor

TL for good reason

I had the same dilemma, G-35 vs. TL. At the end of the day, Honda/Acura reliability, performance, resale value, looks, styling edged over Nissan/Infiniti. I wasn't crazy about the exterior styling of the G-35 especially the front end- looks like a bug coming up on you from the back. I intend to keep my car forever, so with that as the main consideration, you can't beat an Acura. The other thing was options. The TL comes fully equipped with only the Navi an option, and when I tried to negotiate the G-35, I got tangled up in my underwear with all the option packages....too complex.
Lastly, the G-35 just seems a bit too "tinny" for me, and I proved it to myself by slamming the door on the both cars. Just do that, and I think your mind will be made up.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Intermediate

I owned an Infiniti I30t for 7 years. Loved the car, but the service department was awful. I know couple of Infiniti owners who love their cars but hate the service department as well. There are 2 Infiniti service locations near me, tried them both, one of them turned out to be scaming Infiniti Corp, by always breaking something on my car and fixing it under warranty. The other always waited until I had to get an state inspection and would threaten to fail it, if I didn't fix the problems they reported, which costed an arm and leg. I don't know where J D Power & Assoicates get their information to give Infiniti an award for Customer Service, they are all paid off as far as I am concerned.

I bought a TL just in the past 2 weeks and I love it.

Abyss Blue/Camel/Nav/5AT.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 100%. Of course, expect to get flamed when you are preferring another vehicle over the vehicle of the Forum that you are posting. It is an individual choice, but they are such different platforms, I find them hard to even compare. With all the Tl issues, past and present, I say go with the G. I owned one wnd now own an FX and have found both products superior to the TL-S I owned.

Most people in her don't like the G, so it is a bad place to ask for that advice.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Racer

first off, every car "will" have issues. My car doesn't right now, doesn't mean it won't. and thats what warranty is for.

All infinitis and acuras have issues. There are countless people who will say "...my _____ had so many problems I went for _____ this time" and this will go hand in hand with every car you buy.

I might like my acura this time, and after 5 or so years it holds up good, then I will buy again.....if not I will buy somthing else. Just because you had issue with your acura 3 or 2 years ago, and switching to infiniti because of that won't guarantee problem free car.

my 0.2 cent.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Racer

I HAPPEN TO LOVE G35 COUPE TO DEATH.

ITS JUST THE ATTITUDE OF THEIR OWNERS I CAN'T STAND. :yack:
Old 03-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Cruisin'

To help you decide which car you want you should read the post about "what you like about your TL" and "What you dont like about you TL". At least you will have an idea of how people feel about the car and put yourself in their shoe and see if it is right for you. I am currently torn between two cars as well but no with the G35.

Quick Reply: HELP: can't decide on TL or G35