Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight film protection - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight film protection - worth it?

Trying to decide if the headlight film is worth $70 installed. I would purchase the kit from xpel.com (anywhere cheaper?) and have it installed when having my window tint done. I worry about optical clarity, light output degradation, and potential heat buildup affecting the lenses. Keeping the HIDs safe from rocks and debris sounds appealing though. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to have it installed myself. With todays headlights being made of plastic rather than glass they have a tendancy to get sandblasted and cloudy over time. No to mention that they will be protected from rocks. There are other companyies out there such as Stonguard that have the headlight protection. It shouldn't be too difficult to install on your own.

I'm going to go with a different brand than Xpel for the headlights. Xpels film for the headlights I believe is 40 mil thick. Others are only 14 mil or so. They should protect almost as well and reduce some of the heat buildup and will most likely have better clarity.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you should get the whole clear bra for car...not just headlights..

check out my thread you can get some details on it.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I have the xpel headlight kit installed when I purchased my Tl and I can tell you that there is no issue regarding clarity.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prolanman
I'm going to have it installed myself. With todays headlights being made of plastic rather than glass they have a tendancy to get sandblasted and cloudy over time. No to mention that they will be protected from rocks. There are other companyies out there such as Stonguard that have the headlight protection. It shouldn't be too difficult to install on your own.

I'm going to go with a different brand than Xpel for the headlights. Xpels film for the headlights I believe is 40 mil thick. Others are only 14 mil or so. They should protect almost as well and reduce some of the heat buildup and will most likely have better clarity.
So what film are you going with over xpel? I've been trying to figure out the true differences when using 40 mil vs. something else.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
I see the light!

I had my clear bra instaler cut my headlight protection film from 20 mil XPel pvc material (different from the clear bra's urethane film). It was twenty-something dollars. I put it on myself with easy instructions from XPel. It is fairly straight forward.. I used a hair dryer to help it curve around.

There is NO perceptable difference in brightness or clarity. The installed film is not visible. Our headlights are very expensive. The film gives some peace of mind when driving on the highways. Well worth it IMO.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I would highly recommend you get the head light kit from Ex-Pel. I had it on my Passat and again now on my TL. The 20 mil thickness will handle almost all rocks and is reasonable priced. The application for the TL is an easy DIY since the lights have little curvature. Yes, replacement bulbs and headlight lens are pricey-a worthwile investment.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:57 PM
steelheader

I installed 40 mil Xpels on both my MDX & CL-S... they are so clear you cannot tell they are even on the housings unless you touch them... Follow the instructions and don't put them on cold.. do it on a warm/hot day or warm them to make them more pliable
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I installed the 40 mil Xpel headlight film on my 2002 TL when I owned it. It made no difference at all to the clarity of the headlights, and protected the admittedly fragile foglights nicely. I installed it after a rock took out one of the headlights during a long trip during month four of ownership.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro

I may look into this. I might try to use some clear transfer tape that I for vinyl/decals to see if it's any help.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
I bought a kit from AutoSport - it fit well, is very clear, and has taken at least one shot that I think would have cracked or severely scratcked/pitted the headlight lens - worth every penny.

I followed the direction carefully, and it took about a week for the last bits of water to work themselves out.

I would not advise doing this in the winter, though - it could take a long time for the water to evaporate, and if it froze under there, there is not telling what would happen.

I wax the film just as I would any body part, to keep it cleaner, replenish any oils, and provide better UV protection. But the 3M stuff is heavy duty.

I liked it so much, i bought it for the S2000's headlights - they are very, very expensive, and since the car is low, very very vulnerable. But I will wait for Spring to install them, as the car is hibernating (alas).
Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

I have the X-PEL headlight protection (as well as the entire clear bra package) and there is NO difference in brightness or clarity.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmduncan
Trying to decide if the headlight film is worth $70 installed. I would purchase the kit from xpel.com (anywhere cheaper?) and have it installed when having my window tint done. I worry about optical clarity, light output degradation, and potential heat buildup affecting the lenses. Keeping the HIDs safe from rocks and debris sounds appealing though. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,

Maybe I can help answer some of your questions or concerns. The prudtc once installed and cured will be optically clear and will not be effected by the heat output from a HID light. HIDS tend to run cooler than Halogen lights from my experience.

We actually have a sale going in the Black market right for light protection. This is something that can be done yourself in as little 15 minutes. The biggest thing the light protection will protect from is pitting of the headlight lense.

We also sell and install the paint protection kits for most makes and models. And yes we have the A-spec kit for those that have one.

Clear bra sale

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/pic-request-104879/

Headlight kit sale

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103546

Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Have a great Holiday Season

Chad
Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Thanks,
Brian
Did you shop the replacement cost of the headlight lens, bulb, HID?? The xpel kit is a no brainer.!! Especially if you plan to keep the car for a long time. I had mine put on my Passat and now TL. Certainly will prevent lens breakage in most cases. It can easily done by almost anyone since the curvature of the lens is very slight. Follow the directions and should be easy to do. The thickness is 1.4 or 2.0 mil I believe. Clarity is not an issue on mine, and also its invisible since they come precut and fit perfectly. Enjoy
Old 12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
Acura and BMW enthusiast

Chad,

Thanks for the info. I'll think I'll have to jump in at this price.

Brian
Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Banned

Chad,

Thanks for the info. I'll think I'll have to jump in at this price.

Brian
No problem, Glad we could help.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

As much as parts on these cars cost, any type of protection for the headlights is well worth it. I got Clearbra (Xpel) installed by Invisiguard and very happy with the product. The headlight piece does not degrade the brightness or the clarity whatsoever. I would highly recommend getting your lights protected as well as protection for the entire front side of the TL. You will not regret it.

Jerky and RawDogg - Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it. There are no negatives, only positives. You can't tell it's there until your headlight takes a hit from a rock. I got the full Xpel kit with headlights less than a week after I picked up my car. Worth every penny. Especially now with winter coming and the sand and crap they put down.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Advanced

I did mine nyself with Rok-Gards from the website below.

Rok-Gards

They installed in minutes and you cannot see them once installed.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:49 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

How do you know that the film protects against rocks, etc?

You know when you have a broken light that is not protected by the damage.

Does anyone have a link to any information / studies on the protection provided.

I wonder if this falls into a peace of mind situation like an extended warranty.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vanwall

Does anyone have a link to any information / studies on the protection provided.

I wonder if this falls into a peace of mind situation like an extended warranty.

All you have to do is drive around for one winter to see for yourself. I can honestly tell you this if it wasnt for products like these( yes we do sell them ) I would have had to replace my windshield twice in the last two months. Plus countless other damage that would have happened to the front of my vehicle.

A friend of mine and I were driving down the freeway one day and a piece of asphalt the size of a golf ball came flying up from a semi and slammed my windshield so hard that we both flinched as it impacted. He just sat there amazed and stunned trying to fure out how the windshield wasnt cracked all to pieces. So I told him what I had on the windshield. He couldnt even see it until I told him so he came right over to get some installed on his car.

The headlights on todays cars are made from a pretty indestructible plastic that is much harder to break, but where the weakness is in pitting. Plastic chips a lot easier than glass and in the long term can cause the lights to lose visibility. Some of the last generation vehicles for example: the 2002-2003 TL's still were using glass fog lights and most people can attest to how many get broken with or without the protection.

I have never seen or done a study to prove the effects of protected lights and not. It is more of a common knowledge that having your lights protected with a high impact resistant film will help prevent them from breaking or pitting after years of use.

Sure it gives you a piece of mind, like an extended warranty except for the fact it costs a lot less and than the value is more than worth it. Most vehicles headlights that roll out of the factory today costs anywhere from $400 to $1800 for ONE light plus installation. You can get a whole light kit (from headlights to headlights, fog lights and turn signals) for $54.00 depending on make and model. In some cases less than that. As you are able to see from our special of the month in the Black Market.

Hope this helps some.

Happy Holidays

Chad
Old 12-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Vanwall

This is easily researched, but the work is done for ya.

The ones I used are made from an optically clear urethane thermoplastic, and can sustain inpacts of 1" diamter objects hitting it at 120 mph with no damage to the headlight itself. It uses special 3M adhesives.

The other thing is that it is wise to see if the mfr or reselleer stands behind the product (true for anythihg, really, right?). XPEL's warranty:
"Product Warranty
XPEL Technologies Corp. warrants X-Pel™ Protection Products installed on the factory paint finish or on the factory installed lenses (utilizing bulbs with factory recommended wattage) of the purchaser's vehicle for five (5) years from date of purchase. XPEL Technologies Corp. warrants your X-Pel™ product against yellowing, cracking or peeling due to discernible defects in manufacturing of said product. If the X-Pel™ product is found to be defective, XPEL Technologies Corp. will replace the product at no charge to the purchaser (installation labor excepted). This warranty is valid for the original purchaser of the X-Pel™ product and is not transferable. XPEL Technologies Corp. assumes no liability for deterioration of the film caused by normal wear, accident, collision, negligence, vandalism or abuse.THIS WARRANTY APPLIES TO MANUFACTURING QUALITY ONLY. The installer is solely responsible for the quality of installation of the X-Pel™ product installed on the vehicle. Contractors, including the installer, do not have the authority or power to alter or extend the limited warranty set forth in this certificate. The installer is neither an employee nor an agent of XPEL Technologies Corp. XPEL Technologies Corp. does not warrant installation methods, or any installer action. To initiate warranty service, send this warranty form along with the defective X-Pel™ product for our inspection to:

XPEL Technologies Corp. Warranty Claims Department, 10414 Gulfdale Street, San Antonio, Texas 78216"

Pretty impressive - I voted with my dollars.

I cannot speak to the others.

http://www.autosupermart.com/shop/br...ml?id=CMpRE8sj
Old 12-23-2004, 09:06 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the input. I have to admit the use of the protective films is new to me.

I'm not an engineer but I find it difficult to believe that a piece of film can protect a cover structurally from an impact of an object 1" dia (noting that nothing is stated as to the weight of the object) hitting the cover at 120 MPH.

Or are the headlight covers strong by design and the films protect against pitting, scratching, etc?

I'm not trying to slam a product I'm just curous. I have only had one light cover ever get broken on any of my cars and that was a fog light cover on my MB and I believe it was glass.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Road Rage is totally correct in making sure you check the warranty of the product just like you would with most things. This product has been race tested at 190 mph during the 24 hours of Daytona on Rocketsports Racing Jaguar.

Here is the warranty that comes with the product we carry

STONGARD® LIGHT

LIMITED WARRANTY. StonGard Inc. warrants to the original consumer purchaser (hereafter you or your), and no other person or entity, that the StonGard® Light product you purchased is free from defects, will conform to the product description provided with the StonGard® Light product, and will remain clear and not yellow for the life of your vehicle. StonGard Inc.’s sole liability under this Limited Warranty, subject to the limitations set forth below, is to repair the StonGard® Light product, replace the StonGard® Light product or refund the purchase price. To activate the Limited Warranty simply fill out the attached Registration Card, attach proof of purchase and mail to StonGard Inc. 1717 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA 98005.

EXTENDED WARRANTY. Under the optional Extended Warranty for the StonGard® Light product, StonGard Inc. will repair or replace the light assembly of your vehicle that is accidentally broken, cracked, chipped or scratched where the StonGard® Light product is properly applied, up to a value of two thousand dollars ($2000.00), for a period of four years after the purchase and proper application of the StonGard® Light product. StonGard Inc.’s liability under this Extended Warranty is subject to the limitations set forth below and is secondary to your auto insurance or any other manufacturer warranty. To activate the Extended Warranty simply fill out the attached Registration Card, attach proof of purchase and mail it with $15.00 to StonGard Inc. 1717 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA 98005; or, if you have purchased both StonGard® and StonGard Light®, the Extended Warranty may be activated at no extra charge by simply completing and sending the attached Registration Card and proof of purchase to StonGard Inc. at the above address.