Headlamp HID Replacement - What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011 | 10:30 AM
Instructor

Headlamp HID Replacement - What are my options?

In a nutshell - I just got back from the dealer who replaced one of my blown out bulbs on my 2005 TL. After an inspection (which I was going to get dinged $69 for), they determined it was the bulb which was actually faulty, not the igniter or ballast.

I did a search on the forum and I noticed that a while back some users had done some custom replacement options and that the bulbs realistically will last roughly 100K miles. Well, my car has 106K on it now, so I guess I got good life out of them! That being said the second bulb is now pink (same thing happened to the first, then 3 days later - it blew out).

The service advisor told me he doesn't recommend changing it because this bulb could last effectively another 12 months. For some reason I don't share the same optimism because I've just been having bad luck overall w/ the car as it's gotten older.

Can you guys advise me on some different options I may have to replace the bulb other than getting hit with another $300 at the dealership? Not really trying to be a cheapskate (although I think $300 is a ripoff even with tax/labor), but I've been putting a lot of money into the car in repairs over the last couple of months, and will be doing the same for the next couple of months so just trying to save where I can.

Thanks all!
Old 04-14-2011 | 10:54 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

The bulb going "pink" is commonly known as pink eye, this is a warning that you need to replace your bulbs ASAP. Bulbs may last up to 100K miles but aren't probably recommended, bulbs loose a lot of output over the course of their lifetime and color shift, I change mine every 2-3 years. Dealers charge up the ass for OEM bulbs. Check these out.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=148
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nate_0022
The bulb going "pink" is commonly known as pink eye, this is a warning that you need to replace your bulbs ASAP. Bulbs may last up to 100K miles but aren't probably recommended, bulbs loose a lot of output over the course of their lifetime and color shift, I change mine every 2-3 years. Dealers charge up the ass for OEM bulbs. Check these out.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=148
This is actually right along the lines of what I was looking for.

Are these actually different from the OEM bulb? Do you know who actually makes the OEM bulb?

That being said, if I order these - are they hard to install or should I have a shop do it for me?
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

It's amazing what you can find the 3g Garage:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/diy-hid-bulb-change-w-o-bumper-removal-3g-garage-g-004-a-598853/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/re-aiming-headlights-3g-garage-g-007-a-558380/

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/m3-engine-hack-80798/

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-stock-99-2-3-cl-parts-108963/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127531

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/g-091-benefits-using-d2c-bulb-710926/

This last thread deals with the different HID bulbs.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:34 AM
Previous Owner

If you just want good relatively inexpensive bulbs, check out the kaixen ones Excelerate sells here. They're like $100 for the pair and are great. Then you just need someone to install them for you. The dealer wanted to charge me $220 just to do that.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:39 AM
Racer

I got a set of the Philips Ultinon bulbs a few years back for $150 and ended up installing it myself. They have a nice 5000K color with all the brightness of the stock bulb.

The dealer wanted $135 per bulb and another $150 for installation.

The only drawback is unless you have very small hands and can get behind the ballast yourself, you have to drop the bumper to get access to the headlamp. Pretty easy job once you do it the first time. Shouldn't take you more than an hour for the whole job.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Dropping the bumper is very easy.
Old 04-14-2011 | 11:53 AM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Originally Posted by Bounce
This is actually right along the lines of what I was looking for.

Are these actually different from the OEM bulb? Do you know who actually makes the OEM bulb?

That being said, if I order these - are they hard to install or should I have a shop do it for me?
OEM Acura HID bulbs are made my Osram not sure of the part number, the site I provided above has Osram 66240 for sale as the same price as the Philips 85122+. Bulbs are extremely easy to install, drop the bumper twist off the cap on the back of the headlights, (They do have a Torx screw with a nipple in the middle that hold the cover on, I never installed the screws back in, no need to http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/4068045.jpg)
twist off the igniter, push the two side of the bulb holders foreward and push towards the side and then pull towards you. The bulb will then fall out. Make sure the grooves of the new bulbs line up on the projector then just re assemble.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 04-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thorin78
If you just want good relatively inexpensive bulbs, check out the kaixen ones Excelerate sells here. They're like $100 for the pair and are great. Then you just need someone to install them for you. The dealer wanted to charge me $220 just to do that.
Thanks for that - yea I have already contacted Josh about this earlier today. I think that I'd much prefer to stick with a bulb I have some history with like Phillips, PIAA (if they make one for this car), or the OEM. But I may look towards them to do the install if I deem I cannot do it myself - I'm going to look into the details now.

OEM Acura HID bulbs are made my Osram not sure of the part number, the site I provided above has Osram 66240 for sale as the same price as the Philips 85122+. Bulbs are extremely easy to install, drop the bumper twist off the cap on the back of the headlights, (They do have a Torx screw with a nipple in the middle that hold the cover on, I never installed the screws back in, no need to http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/4068045.jpg)
twist off the igniter, push the two side of the bulb holders foreward and push towards the side and then pull towards you. The bulb will then fall out. Make sure the grooves of the new bulbs line up on the projector then just re assemble.
So based on everything I have learned today I should just go crawl into a hole and lock myself in there. I guess I got raped by the dealership today - guess I was too busy and tied up in other things to even see this one coming.

I let them suck me in w/ their $69 BS telling me "it might be the bulb, but it could easily be the ballast or igniter" and I let them hit me w/ a $300 bill just to replace ONE damn bulb. I'm honestly really mad about that - now I see why you guys call them "stealerships"

Now that I got all these links and figured out which bulbs it takes (and that I may even be able to do it myself) I could have saved myself a crap load of money. I guess I'll be doing that now w/ the second bulb.

You think if I get the Osram bulb - can I get away with replacing it and it should color match the one the dealer put in today? If not that then I guess I could get 2 of the Phillips and keep the OEM for backup (if I ever end up needing it)? Maybe while I'm in there I might as well replace the "fog light" bulbs as well, I notice they take the old 9006 bulbs....in the event I'm already gonna have the bumper off, and what not.
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:17 PM

you always want to replace HIDs in pairs, to get the same color consistency.
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
you always want to replace HIDs in pairs, to get the same color consistency.
So I've learned. Sadly this is the complete OPPOSITE of what the dealership told me. I guess I deserve being upset now after being so gullible to actually trust my service advisor. :-(
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:35 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

Should've came and asked us first man. I see you've been a member for some time now. Whenever I get a new car I always looks for forums just for reasons like this.
Old 04-14-2011 | 03:37 PM
Instructor

Should've came and asked us first man. I see you've been a member for some time now. Whenever I get a new car I always looks for forums just for reasons like this.
I have, basically ever since I got my Acura - I've gotten a lot of great help here. I know I should have asked first - I just got my head all tied up in this 105K Timing Belt service I needed done, and started spending so much of the little time I have researching that - I just assumed I'd let the dealer figure out the headlight situation for me.

I'd almost have rather it been the ballast or something worth while and having it replaced there - but finding out it was only a bulb and I shelled out so much it disheartening.

I guess you live and you learn - nothing I can do now.
Old 04-14-2011 | 04:28 PM
Instructor

Phillips D2S OE <------CLICK LINK

So I found these bulbs, I believe these should be similar to the ones you guys recommended. Should I go ahead and order 2 of these from Amazon - it seems like a good price, plus I can have them in by Saturday so I can do this over the weekend and not have to risk getting pulled over for a blown headlight.

I noticed that the 6000K gives off a little bit of a more pleasant (blueish) color, but actually puts out less light - if I'm correct? I guess either would do the trick for me....but the 6000K are not easy to find in a short time.
Old 04-14-2011 | 05:11 PM
Land of 10,000 lakes

I'd just go with the philips 85122+ I've posted above. A few bucks cheaper than the ones you posted and the go to bulb in the HID retofit world. Check out The Retrofit Source.
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:37 PM
Instructor

I'd just go with the philips 85122+ I've posted above. A few bucks cheaper than the ones you posted and the go to bulb in the HID retofit world. Check out The Retrofit Source.
Agree, I am between that or order the Osrams they have on their site. I am just concerned about the person who posted these give off a yellowish hue. I am looking for a bulb that's the bright white color, or if anything a cooler blue. Don't really want yellow.

I guess if I'm gonna end up paying for them now I might as well be happy. You guys that have them can you comment on the color?
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:44 PM
Instructor

Was looking thru some of your other threads....looks like you have the Osram Xenarc CBIs? Those look dope - any idea where I can pick up a pair (legit not knocked off ones)?
Old 04-14-2011 | 07:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Whatever you do, always go with an OEM brand such as Philips or Osram because if you buy a cheap ebay bulb which runs hotter then it should it could burn the chrome inside the bowls of your projectors and leave you with hot spots!

I also recommend staying with 4300-5000k. I know a lot of people like to go with 6000k or higher but you're just losing lumens. Sure you get that blueish color, but from certain angles you'll get that color anyway from the cutoff color band. Besides, are you going to run outside and look at your projectors and go "oooo, they're blue instead of whiteish!" I personally like to take full advantage of my TL projectors and have better output, but to each his own!

Last edited by VanyDotK; 04-14-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2011 | 08:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
Whatever you do, always go with an OEM brand such as Philips or Osram because if you buy a cheap ebay bulb which runs hotter then it should it could burn the chrome inside the bowls of your projectors and leave you with hot spots!
Point noted. Definitely. If anything I was only really looking at those two brands...but looking at Nate's other posts, I think I am pretty sold on the CBIs.

Now if I can only get a pair sometime soon!
Old 04-14-2011 | 08:57 PM
Slythslyr

I just installed those Phillips 85122+ along with the ZKW lense recently and man they are super bright now. I would guess they would still be pretty bright even with the stock fresnal lense!! Good luck Bro!!
Old 04-14-2011 | 10:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
I just installed those Phillips 85122+ along with the ZKW lense recently and man they are super bright now. I would guess they would still be pretty bright even with the stock fresnal lense!! Good luck Bro!!
Do you feel they give off any type of yellowish tint at all? That was the only thing I read in the reviews to make me consider the Osram. I really don't want yellow tinted headlamps - just a personal thing I suppose.

On a side note, I notice you and I have the same tires - how do you like them? I am on my second set of the same tires, I got them 255/45/17 though. The grip nice!