3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had experience importing a TL into the Netherlands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 06:13 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had experience importing a TL into the Netherlands?

Hello,
I am new to the forum, so if I made a mistake, please let me know.
I have searched this forum to see if I could find any information on individuals that have imported a TL into the Netherlands.
I noticed there are several members that have a TL in the Netherlands or Germany, and as Acura does not sell its cars in Europe, I would conclude they have imported their cars.
I would like to hear about their experience, as normally, cars being imported will need to pass a European technical inspection based on a general type approval. But because Acura does not sell cars in Europe, I doubt if there is a general type approval.
My question is whether the inspection authorities required extensive modifications before they were granted a pass on the inspection.
This information will help me to decide whether I will move my 2006 TL with me across the pond.
Any help or direction to the correct forum would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 765 Likes on 466 Posts
I would recommend you do a search, because I don't think you're going to find too many people here meeting your requirements.

Do you have any car clubs over there that you could ask members for experiences?

Old 02-07-2023, 05:45 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I imported my TL to Poland. I had to update external lighting to match EU reqs (colors, asymmetry, separation of turning lights in front, rear fog).
Talked to guy here who imported to Germany. As far as I remember he certified his headlights in TUV to pas the inspection.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i (Canadian) own a KBP type S from USA, which used to be my uncle car, he imported his Tiguan not TL-S. when i spoke to him, he said getting parts for TL is not easy in Europe and you have to pass the lighting standards which are different in Europe from USA. For the Tiguan, its sold in Europe as well, he can easily source part and have mechanic who are familiar with vehicle to work on it.
The following users liked this post:
Worldwanderer (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:33 PM
4th Gear

Thank you that is very helpful.
Excuse me for my ignorance but what is TUV?
IS that guy in Germany also on this forum?
Without going into the details, was the required modification of your TL in Poland , the ext lights, an expensive operation? (was it several hundreds or thousands of Euros/dollars?)
Were you able to do the updates/modifications locally (for example via the Honda dealer) or did you have to order parts from the US?
I am trying to get an idea if it is worth the money and efforts and how much I can prepare here in the US before I move.
I very much appreciate your information.
Thank you,
Arjen
Old 02-07-2023, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
TUV is a company that provides testing of electrical devices for approvals and listings. Like UL
Old 02-08-2023, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Hi,

i've imported 3 Acura's over the time.
The cars only have the problem with the tail lights and missing rear fog.

For most of the parts are releases available from DEKRA here in Germany.
You can install the CDM parts from the Chinese TL so you have amber corner signal and get the rear fog. Rear fog you can install in the facelift bumper from 07-08.
I've installed a small LED fog light in my bumper and that's ok for the TÜV.

Engine have EURO 4 norm so there is no problem to register.
Gauge Cluster and Radio you can use the Canada or Chinese parts to get km and celsius if you want.
To convert the climation to celsius you have to change one wire on the climate control unit.

regards
Hans
Worldwanderer (02-08-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by john-germany
Hi,

i've imported 3 Acura's over the time.
The cars only have the problem with the tail lights and missing rear fog.

For most of the parts are releases available from DEKRA here in Germany.
You can install the CDM parts from the Chinese TL so you have amber corner signal and get the rear fog. Rear fog you can install in the facelift bumper from 07-08.
I've installed a small LED fog light in my bumper and that's ok for the TÜV.

Engine have EURO 4 norm so there is no problem to register.
Gauge Cluster and Radio you can use the Canada or Chinese parts to get km and celsius if you want.
To convert the climation to celsius you have to change one wire on the climate control unit.

regards
Hans
Thank you Hans.

It took a while before I finally got hold of the Dutch Car Inspection service. According to this person, the problems usually are the orange/amber colored city/running lights which should be white in Europe and the other issue is indeed the tail fog light. The TL does not have such a tail fog light.
The blinker light being red in the tail light is apparently no longer a problem.
My question now is whether the Chinese TL tail lights, do they include the tail fog light or do I still have to figure out a way to get a tail fog light installed? Do you or do you know of anyone that has tried that with for example LED lights in the standard OEM Tail light?
Now I am also on the hunt for clear running lights Any suggestions for that?
I am wondering if there has been an enterprising car mechanic who has experimented this way already.
CARID and Andysautosport initially said they had such aftermarket tail lights, but that turned out not to be correct..

I am searching for any company here in US or Canada that has such aftermarket tail lights.
Arjen

Old 03-06-2023, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Hi Arjen,
you can use the Type-S headlights in the TL. They have clear lights to the front so you don't have the problem with orange.
The other is to buy the chinese Headlights. They have the additional bulb for parking light, which is installed in the inner fog light .

The tails from the CDM TL didn't have a fog light. The chinese TL had the fog light in the bumper installed. You can install an e-proved LED fog light in your bumper and all is ok for europe.

You can write me a PM if you need more help. I've imported the Type-S to germany and it was no problem to register the car.

regards
Hans
Old 03-10-2023, 02:24 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine

Tyrone503 (03-10-2023)