Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glove box rattle fix (hopefully)-PICT

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glove box rattle fix (hopefully)-PICT

Despite a quick fix of the glove box rattle by silicon spray, the cold weather has not been so kind to me. So, I took a good look at all the hinges that connect the glove box to the main plastic structure of the car. In my case, the right side of the hinge and the bolt (left side is shown in the picture below) was causing the rattle.

Even though the screw that attaches the black plastic piece to the frame was quite tight, I was able to simulate the same rattle by jiggling the glove box. It turns out there is a very small gap between the right behind the screw and the black piece of plastic. I took out a very thin layer of foam (less than 1/2"x1/2") and shoved it in the gap. It's been about 3 days since I've done this. I have not heard the glove box rattle at all.

I hope this helps those who have this annoying rattle.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
havnt had the rattle, but good info...
Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Novice, that's exactly where my rattle came from... and I did the exactly the same treatment/actions as you have done. In my case, it held out for 3 months, then, it started to make noisy again. It rattled 'cause the screws wouldn't be able to tight it up anymore, and the gap was getting bigger after I opened it on/off a few times later.

Finally, I took a trip to my new dealer and they replaced all the screws insides and outsides, so far, I have no rattle from there... (I still don't know what is difference btwn old/new screws.)
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, rets.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:29 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks, i appreciate your help.
silver with grey interior w/nav
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by rets
Novice, that's exactly where my rattle came from... and I did the exactly the same treatment/actions as you have done. In my case, it held out for 3 months, then, it started to make noisy again. It rattled 'cause the screws wouldn't be able to tight it up anymore, and the gap was getting bigger after I opened it on/off a few times later.

Finally, I took a trip to my new dealer and they replaced all the screws insides and outsides, so far, I have no rattle from there... (I still don't know what is difference btwn old/new screws.)
Do you think if we replace the cabin air filter on our own it'll affect the screws that you speak of, or are they two different assemblies?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
Do you think if we replace the cabin air filter on our own it'll affect the screws that you speak of, or are they two different assemblies?
Not sure. You have to remove the glovebox in order to access the location of the air filter. When doing so, you need to remove two side parts (black) on the top and two screws from the fins on the bottom. As Novice showed it above, I believe those fins are one of the main troublemakers.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:19 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Novice
Despite a quick fix of the glove box rattle by silicon spray, the cold weather has not been so kind to me. So, I took a good look at all the hinges that connect the glove box to the main plastic structure of the car. In my case, the right side of the hinge and the bolt (left side is shown in the picture below) was causing the rattle.

Even though the screw that attaches the black plastic piece to the frame was quite tight, I was able to simulate the same rattle by jiggling the glove box. It turns out there is a very small gap between the right behind the screw and the black piece of plastic. I took out a very thin layer of foam (less than 1/2"x1/2") and shoved it in the gap. It's been about 3 days since I've done this. I have not heard the glove box rattle at all.

I hope this helps those who have this annoying rattle.
Novice, do you still have this pic? The link doesn't work any longer. I have that rattle now, and it is driving me nuts.

Kevin
Old 10-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by wyricke
Novice, do you still have this pic? The link doesn't work any longer. I have that rattle now, and it is driving me nuts.

Kevin

I would like to see that too.
After my dealer adjusted my glovebox (becasue of a huge gap on the top part) my glovebox rattle all the time