Glove Box Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004 | 08:43 AM
Pro

Glove Box Rattle

Sorry to ask this again, but I've now had my car into the dealership to fix the glove box rattle twice without any luck. At first I thought it was being caused by the glove box being slightly misaligned, however, they took it out and reinstalled it. The rattle persisted. They then removed it again and supposedly put in insulation "all around" but again I still have the rattle. Is there anyone here who has had this fixed by the dearlership and knows exactly what they did to stop this? All the other stuff has been dealt with and I have this one nuisance which drives me crazy. Any help before I go back to the service department would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:26 AM
Banned

It sounds obvious, and I'm sure you have thought of it already, but are you positive the rattle is coming from the glove box, instead maybe something beside or behind it?
Old 02-19-2004 | 09:47 AM
an Acura has-been

Toronto, after the first time, they found a TSB (or some other document from Acura) that showed if you remove the glove box, you have to replace the mounting clips or it will rattle, that was one thing, but after that, it still did it and they replaced the glove compartment itself. That seemed to finally work.
Old 02-19-2004 | 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

My glove-box rattle was solved by taking a small new sock and folding it over that ridge on the left side of the door and closing it gently. No more glove-box rattle!

When I take the car in next I'm going to have them take a look at it and see what they can do.
Old 02-19-2004 | 11:15 AM
Pro

I think the rattle is truly coming from the glove box. If it is closed I hear the rattle. If I then open it and drive, the rattle is gone again until I close it.

need4spd, after they replaced the glove box, did the rattle come back?
Old 02-19-2004 | 12:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb Re: Glove Box Rattle...

Originally posted by TorontoTL
I think the rattle is truly coming from the glove box. If it is closed I hear the rattle. If I then open it and drive, the rattle is gone again until I close it.

If you're interested, there are a couple of threads here introducing how to DIY to fix this issue. They reall work well...

BTW, long time no see, need4spd...
Old 02-21-2004 | 03:06 AM
Instructor

My dealer said when it's cold, it will more likely rattle. Appears to be true, since I got my car in Nov, it did not have any rattles, but as the weather got colder, I noticed there are rattles around glove box & some times behind steering wheel, particularly moticeable when I first start to drive when the car is cold. Might be similar situation for you since you're in Toronto, & it's colder up there than NJ. Funny thing is, I brought the car to service dept, they test drove it with me sitting in passenger seat, there were no rattles, so they couldn't do anything. Just like when I'm sick & go see a Dr., as soon as I see him, I feel just fine, & he can't find anything wrong too, could be all in the mind.
Old 02-21-2004 | 11:44 AM
an Acura has-been

Toronto,

No, in the 30 days or so since it was replaced, it has disapeared, even in the cold.
Old 02-21-2004 | 12:05 PM
ajc
Cruisin'

I have the same problem, and it seems to be worse when it is cold outside. I am driving around with my glove box open and this seems to have "solved" the problem. I will have the dealer look at this when I am in for my first service, but it dosen't sound like too many have had success in fixing this. Any thoughts on how I can instruct the dealer to make the appropriate fix would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2004 | 01:24 PM
Team Owner

I had the same problem, my dealer fixed it even in subzero cold.

They took the glovebox out, applied felt tape along an area where the glove box assembly was rubbing against the frame of the center dash stack and causing the rattle, and put the box back in.

The clips that hold the glove box in are one-time use, so they had to order those ahead of making the repair.

Mike
Old 02-21-2004 | 04:46 PM
Intermediate

I had this rattle. To me it sounded more like a 'creak' - but if I pushed on the glove box door with my hand, it would disappear.

1. The dealer tried to fix it - didn't.

2. Using instructions from another post, I took the whole thing apart and stuck felt here and there. Didn't fix it.

3. Another post suggested sticking felt around the door jamb edges, so I tried that. I cut peices from heavy-duty felt pads I purchased at Home Depot. This worked great - no rattle.

I was going to post a picture of it, I can't upload anything over 1K?!? And, my gallery isn't working?!?
Old 02-21-2004 | 05:18 PM
Pro

beeTLe, I would love to see your pics of your fix. If there is anyway you can post them somehow, it would be greatly appreciated. How long now has your fix kept the rattle away?
Old 02-21-2004 | 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

On previous generation TL's the rattle came from the latch itself. It was gripping but the internal parts were loose. I put WD40 on it all and some grease.
Old 02-21-2004 | 06:01 PM
Intermediate

beeTLe, I would love to see your pics of your fix. If there is anyway you can post them somehow, it would be greatly appreciated. How long now has your fix kept the rattle away?
I applied the felt about two weeks ago - no rattle at all. The felt is pretty thick - I have to slam to glove box to close it now - it's real tight and snug (and quiet). Before, it was driving me crazy!

I think the gallery is down right now. Or is it just me???