Future Owner Needing Advice and Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014 | 12:10 AM
Advanced

Future Owner Needing Advice and Opinions

Let me start out introducing myself. I am 17 years and will be turning 18 very shortly. The first car that I owned was an '04 Base TL, but I happen to have started my own small business when I was 13 and happened to have a little money saved up and decided to buy me an '06 5 series BMW and found out I was in way over my head and could not afford maintenance and still be able to do this and that stuff I wanted. So after two months of owning a BMW I decided to sell it and go back to a TL.

In my search for my new TL, I have found two that I am interested in. Now here is where I need the advice and opinions. One of the two TL I am interested was found by my grandfather and the car would not have necessarily been my first pick, but is still a great car and he has become very sick lately and want to make him as happy as possible before our time comes to an end. The car is a 2008 TL with roughly 92,000 and asking price is $13,750. The only two problems I have with the car is when I looked onto the passenger side dash I saw a very very small, maybe not even a half of a centimeter crack, but I assume it would get longer over time and possibly multiply into many other cracks. The other problem is it's only only 10,000-15,000 miles away from when I would need to change the timing belt and water pump( I may only be 17 but I drive roughly 30,000-40,000 miles a year) and that time would come up quick. I only have $6500 cash right now and I have a friend who is willing to loan be another $4000 cash until I am 18 and can get a loan to pay him back. So basically, I only have $10,500 to spend for a car and taxes. I know I would not have nearly enough to buy the TL, but I think my parents and grandparents may pay what ever amount is over the $10,500.

Now to the other car, it is a 2007 TL Type S with 147,000 miles. Yes, I know this sounds like a lot of miles, but I do know this car has been babied and the guy has all the service documents from the car. The car, to me, is far more appealing because of the Type S and I also love the color of it. I know I can buy the car for $9,500 cash, but I would also have to fly about 650 miles to the car which would not be a problem because my dad is part owner of a small plane and can fly me there but I will still have to pay the fuel. The only thing that worries me is this too many miles for this car, and I do know that he has not changed the transmission fluid although he has done everything else. Has not changing the fluid possibly caused some problems that are not evident yet? I do just like this car better because like I said it is a Type S and the color, but I can also pretty much afford it with the loan which I do not believe will be a problem for me to pay back as it will only be about $200 a month.

So this is what it boils down to, should I go with the more expensive car that has less miles, but know I will have to spend roughly $500-$1000 in the near future on maintenance or the car the has more miles but I find more appealing and know has been taken great care of for the most part and I can afford. And also, what are some things I should specifically look for when I go to look at the '08 tomorrow that may point to some problems? ( I do plan on getting a pre purchase inspection done before buying the car. Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I do apologize for the length of this!
Old 07-08-2014 | 12:29 AM
TL-S Killer

hey man...

I bought my first car 5 weeks ago and my personal suggestion is don't get a loan from anyone. The worst thing you can do is owe somebody... I'd suggest either

A.) save some money and buy the TL-S when you have the cash
B.) buy a cheaper car (older TL base) that you can dd and add those miles without worry.

both of the cars you looked at sound great, but the price (considering you dont have the cash right now) isn't very appealing.

However, if my relateable rambles dont appeal to you, then go for the TL's just because you have the solid records behind it, and the 100k mile service done to it. From what I've heard, these honda engines will go past 300k, so dont get scared by the miles as long as you keep up with regular maintenance. What to look for? Depends on where you live, could be anything from under car rust, to brake pads, steering, any unusual sounds at acceleration, turning, slipped gears (even with the auto)... I suggest taking pictures of under the car, asking questions about maintenance and maybe investing into a carfax report if you want to get fancy...
Old 07-08-2014 | 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

First off, your grandpa shouldn't and probably wouldn't judge you for not getting the car he found. He is helping you out because you are his grandson and I'm sure he thinks whatever makes you happy makes him happy. If it's not your first choice, let him know, if his time is coming to an end, he won't even think twice about it. Just let him know you appreciate his help.

Second, that many miles on the second Type S and no transmission fluid was changed, a bit odd, but not unheard of either.

Honestly, you're about to be 18, an adult, and you seem to know what you're doing. However, taking a loan to buy a car you simply want again, I would say isn't a good idea, regardless if that loan is a friend or family member. I've seen these "harmless loans" tear relationships apart and it's heartbreaking, the years of friendship are thrown down the drain because of a little bit of money. You have $6500 in cash now, with a part time job even, you could double your money within 6-8mo, and who knows maybe even better pickings of TLs (should you still want one) could be available.

I'd say get a beater, get a job to raise a bit more money, and get a nicer TL when the finances are right. You're young and you got a lot of time.

I'm also very sorry to hear that your grandpa has become very ill lately. Please take the time to spend some time with him and cherish it. You're lucky to still have him around and him helping you find a TL.

Last edited by dezymond; 07-08-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2014 | 01:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dezymond
First off, your grandpa shouldn't and probably wouldn't judge you for not getting the car he found. He is helping you out because you are his grandson and I'm sure he thinks whatever makes you happy makes him happy. If it's not your first choice, let him know, if his time is coming to an end, he won't even think twice about it. Just let him know you appreciate his help.

Second, that many miles on the second Type S and no transmission fluid was changed, a bit odd, but not unheard of either.

Honestly, you're about to be 18, an adult, and you seem to know what you're doing. However, taking a loan to buy a car you simply want again, I would say isn't a good idea, regardless if that loan is a friend or family member. I've seen these "harmless loans" tear relationships apart and it's heartbreaking, the years of friendship are thrown down the drain because of a little bit of money. You have $6500 in cash now, with a part time job even, you could double your money within 6-8mo, and who knows maybe even better pickings of TLs (should you still want one) could be available.

I'd say get a beater, get a job to raise a bit more money, and get a nicer TL when the finances are right. You're young and you got a lot of time.

I'm also very sorry to hear that your grandpa has become very ill lately. Please take the time to spend some time with him and cherish it. You're lucky to still have him around and him helping you find a TL.
I really appreciate your response. I believe by telling my grandfather I may not want the car he wants would possibly upset him because he wants to be really involved in the car I buy because he wants to know exactly what I am getting to give him peace of mind that it will be a good car. He would not be able to fly with me to see the other car and I believe he wants his input on whatever I do end up buying so that may possibly upset him. I was actually intending on only spending maybe $8000 at first, maybe an 04-06 model, but my parents and grandparents have since convinced me they want me to get a little newer car so that they know it will be a car that can easily get me through college. It's not that I really only have $6500 cash right now, I actually have much more but I have that set aside for my business to be able to purchases inventory and pay fees that I have. The person I am getting the loan from would only be until August until I got a loan from the bank. I personally want a loan because I want to start building my credit as I know that I will need another loan sometime while in college probably to grow my business.

If I get the first car I was talking about, I probably will not be getting the loan from the friend. I believe that my grandad will basically be purchasing the car and make me the $6500 up front and over time just make me pay the $4000 back and the remainder of the money come out of his or my parents pocket. I would honestly much rather prefer this because I know there would be some sort of leniency if I was not able to pay a full amount of the money one month. I know I should probably get a beater, but I just don't think my parents want me getting something they aren't confident in. Yes, I know many of you are thinking I am too spoiled because I am getting a somewhat expensive car and have had a BMW and another Acura prior to this, but please know I will be paying for all of the maintenance on the car myself as I did on my previous BMW (I promise that was not cheap at all) and previous Acura.

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate comments about my grandfather. I will continue to spend as much time as possible with him until I no longer can. Him and I have always been super close and not for the fact of the things he gives me, which has been a lot, but for the fact that it is a true, genuine love!
The following users liked this post:
dezymond (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014 | 01:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheEntrepreneur
I really appreciate your response. I believe by telling my grandfather I may not want the car he wants would possibly upset him because he wants to be really involved in the car I buy because he wants to know exactly what I am getting to give him peace of mind that it will be a good car. He would not be able to fly with me to see the other car and I believe he wants his input on whatever I do end up buying so that may possibly upset him. I was actually intending on only spending maybe $8000 at first, maybe an 04-06 model, but my parents and grandparents have since convinced me they want me to get a little newer car so that they know it will be a car that can easily get me through college. It's not that I really only have $6500 cash right now, I actually have much more but I have that set aside for my business to be able to purchases inventory and pay fees that I have. The person I am getting the loan from would only be until August until I got a loan from the bank. I personally want a loan because I want to start building my credit as I know that I will need another loan sometime while in college probably to grow my business.

If I get the first car I was talking about, I probably will not be getting the loan from the friend. I believe that my grandad will basically be purchasing the car and make me the $6500 up front and over time just make me pay the $4000 back and the remainder of the money come out of his or my parents pocket. I would honestly much rather prefer this because I know there would be some sort of leniency if I was not able to pay a full amount of the money one month. I know I should probably get a beater, but I just don't think my parents want me getting something they aren't confident in. Yes, I know many of you are thinking I am too spoiled because I am getting a somewhat expensive car and have had a BMW and another Acura prior to this, but please know I will be paying for all of the maintenance on the car myself as I did on my previous BMW (I promise that was not cheap at all) and previous Acura.

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate comments about my grandfather. I will continue to spend as much time as possible with him until I no longer can. Him and I have always been super close and not for the fact of the things he gives me, which has been a lot, but for the fact that it is a true, genuine love!
You definitely seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know what you're doing with your money, that's honestly great to see someone so young being that responsible. We only have a short time granted to us on Earth and you seem to be making the most of it

There can be more "gentler" ways to letting your grandpa know that his choice of TL wouldn't be your first. I know you don't want to upset him, no one wants to upset their family, but this could be the first discussion you have with him adult-to-adult. Maybe look around a bit more and show him some other TLs and see what he thinks, after all I'm sure he knows that the process of buying a car shouldn't be a task that's rushed. Compare the TL he found with others you've found and I'm sure he'll come around to understanding your point of view. As long as you show him the TL of choice looks clean and has a good maintenance record, I'm sure that'll give him peace of mind. You know him best though.

Seems to me he just wants to be involved in the process though, something I would've loved to have if my grandpa was still around. I do hope you can find one soon enough so you can show him how essential he was in helping you get back into a TL.
Old 07-08-2014 | 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Get the S. Welcome to AcuraZine.
Old 07-08-2014 | 09:13 PM
Advanced

So, today I went to look at the first car I was talking about, the '08 with 92 or 93,000 miles. I drove the car around and took it to my mechanic and said that if i purchased it, it would need $1300 worth of work. The work included timing belt, water pump, turn the front rotors, and I think new ones for the rear(although I'm not sure about that part I just remember him saying the rear needed something.) When I went back to negotiate about the price with the car and told them what the car needed I offered $12,500 cash as my final offer but they said there was no way they could come off the price the car was listed at, $13,750, so I walked out the door. I have never really known a dealership to not negotiate a little on price, but oh well.

As for the '07 Type S I mentioned in my first post, I have decided to not even try to go for that one anymore because my grandfather would be extremely for the fact that he believe that it being from the North, Ohio, that it will have rust damage.

I plan to continue my search, but have thought about possibly expanding my search and look at maybe a Lexus IS250 or a Infiniti G35. I know this is an Acura forum and everybody for the most part will say I should buy Acura, but does anybody have any positive or negative comments about the Lexus or Infiniti since those are the two closest competitors to the TL. So should I stick to my search for just a TL or should I look at Lexus and Infiniti too? I found out today that my top of line the budget is around $12,500 before taxes!
Old 07-08-2014 | 09:28 PM
Advanced

I hate Lexus with a passion so I'd have to default to the Infiniti for this reason alone.

Sorry about your grandfather, I was lucky to have mine in my life well into my 30's but now he's gone and I do genuinely miss him, particularly at the Holidays, so do enjoy the time while you can.

I'd have recommended you pick the Type-S until you said it's out of the running myself.

Rev
Old 07-08-2014 | 11:33 PM
TL-S Killer

The only lexus I really approve of is either the isf or the is300 with that 2jz madness... However the Infiniti is a very very reliable and insanely fun car that you can find for under 10k if you really try... All 3 choices: the tl-s, is, and g35 are wonderful but overall I'd still suggest the tl and I'm not being bias because I'm myself a die hard nissan and Mitsubishi fanboy, but a honda no matter what badge it carries is a car built to last and serve you to the ground, and even my base tl puts a smile on my face when I mash the pedal, so as inconclusive this post is, I would still suggest the tl-a hands down
Old 07-08-2014 | 11:34 PM
Racer

Most of the dealerships do not care about cash offers as most believe, and if they do not offer in-house financing they usually get rebate or a flat fee from finance company like commission.

Lexus more expensive, smaller, less value, great reliability, overall is a great car but it is small for MY taste. I think you are getting better value for less with TL but not necessarily a better car it all depends on your preference. If you are satisfied with IS performance and size go with Lexus since it will require less maintenance and offers better gas millage for IS250. Also get insurance quotes for both cars since you are financially savvy it might make your decision easier.
Infinity is a great car and offers good value for the money but not my taste.
Old 07-09-2014 | 09:33 AM
Suzuka Master

I would stay away from the G35 as far as for IS250 price goes, good luck finding one within that price.
Old 07-09-2014 | 10:22 AM
Racer

IS250 will be just as much as a TL if you keep your eye out and it will not be as good. performance wise. the IS 350 is the TL equivalent and it is much more expensive.

Best thing to do is save your money, but a beater and get a good TL. So hard to do, I kNOW! I am 32 and still buy things out of want not need. but to get my TL i went with a 92 VW that had 160K miles on it for 1 year to save up and buy my TL. it was worth it trust me!
Old 07-09-2014 | 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

So, today I went to look at the first car I was talking about, the '08 with 92 or 93,000 miles. I drove the car around and took it to my mechanic and said that if i purchased it, it would need $1300 worth of work. The work included timing belt, water pump, turn the front rotors, and I think new ones for the rear(although I'm not sure about that part I just remember him saying the rear needed something.) When I went back to negotiate about the price with the car and told them what the car needed I offered $12,500 cash as my final offer but they said there was no way they could come off the price the car was listed at, $13,750, so I walked out the door. I have never really known a dealership to not negotiate a little on price, but oh well.

As for the '07 Type S I mentioned in my first post, I have decided to not even try to go for that one anymore because my grandfather would be extremely for the fact that he believe that it being from the North, Ohio, that it will have rust damage.

I plan to continue my search, but have thought about possibly expanding my search and look at maybe a Lexus IS250 or a Infiniti G35. I know this is an Acura forum and everybody for the most part will say I should buy Acura, but does anybody have any positive or negative comments about the Lexus or Infiniti since those are the two closest competitors to the TL. So should I stick to my search for just a TL or should I look at Lexus and Infiniti too? I found out today that my top of line the budget is around $12,500 before taxes!
I base my decision on repair costs, maybe misplaced, but that's how i do it. An 04 - 06 TL is much cheaper to get a used engine for if you ever have an issue, vs. the G35. Haven't priced a IS before.

I had a G35 sedan and I despised it. It ran fine, I just didn't care for the interior, the way it drove, anything.

I had an 05 TL and sold it and bought the G35 and finally dumped that crapper and got back in a TL.

My $.02.
Old 07-09-2014 | 11:10 AM

I think OP should be looking at cheaper cars.
Old 07-09-2014 | 11:24 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

I know the OP has his own small business but I agree with justnspace. While most of what the OP is looking to spend is coming out of his own pocket and he can spend it as he wishes, definitely would be worthwhile looking at Civics, Accords or even TSXs.
Old 07-09-2014 | 11:47 AM

cheaper can be misconstrued.

smaller might be a better word, you'll want a smaller car to get you through college.
something with great gas mileage in the city.

if you're gonna blow all your savings into a car... do it later in life.
right now, would be the time to build up to that point by sacrificing for a little while.

even tho, the TL has great reliability, it's not so much cheap to maintain. there are still "luxury" cost associated with it

Last edited by justnspace; 07-09-2014 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Acura-OC (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014 | 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justnspace
cheaper can be misconstrued.

smaller might be a better word, you'll want a smaller car to get you through college.
something with great gas mileage in the city.

if you're gonna blow all your savings into a car... do it later in life.
right now, would be the time to build up to that point by sacrificing for a little while.

even tho, the TL has great reliability, it's not so much cheap to maintain. there are still "luxury" cost associated with it
I agree with Justnspace, I bought my car through loan financing in 2011 when I was a sophomore in college and since then as the car aged and miles racked up, oil changes and gassing it up were not only items.

Had timing belt service, filter replacements, tranny fluid changes and pressure switches, speakers replaced, tires, accessory belt tensioner, Navigation drive, brakes and rotors(recently) and now I have to replace my driver side CV boot/Axle due to clicking on right turns.
All parts were OEM so they are not cheap. I am now a graduate out of college that owes less than $2500 on my car. I had a paid off 91 Integra as my high school and freshmen year of college.

OP drive an older car and save up for a car to pay cash rather than finance. I was too impatient when it came to getting my TL, and can only tell younger potentially aged buyers that cash really is KING!!
Old 07-09-2014 | 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

the cheapest IS250 I ever see is 06 go for $13k with 150k miles. I would just looking into 7th gen accord V6 MT that is the best bang for your buck consist of reliable, fun, and yet ton of stuff to mod it share most component with the TL.
Old 07-09-2014 | 02:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by screaminz28
I base my decision on repair costs, maybe misplaced, but that's how i do it. An 04 - 06 TL is much cheaper to get a used engine for if you ever have an issue, vs. the G35. Haven't priced a IS before.

I had a G35 sedan and I despised it. It ran fine, I just didn't care for the interior, the way it drove, anything.

I had an 05 TL and sold it and bought the G35 and finally dumped that crapper and got back in a TL.

My $.02.
I'm kind of in the same situation, got an '04 TL for my 16th Birthday then this past March I bought an '06 BMW 525i and that things was a money pit. I seemed like it was $1000 a month to maintain almost. Now I just sold that this past Saturday and really wanna get back into a TL for my senior year of high school and for my college.
Old 07-09-2014 | 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Let me start out introducing myself. I am 17 years and will be turning 18 very shortly. The first car that I owned was an '04 Base TL, but I happen to have started my own small business when I was 13 and happened to have a little money saved up and decided to buy me an '06 5 series BMW and found out I was in way over my head and could not afford maintenance and still be able to do this and that stuff I wanted. So after two months of owning a BMW I decided to sell it and go back to a TL.
You seem to be very intelligent so I'm going to cut past all the garbage and move to the point.

A 2004-2006 TL has a trans that's bound to fail, the 2007+ have a lot more reliable ones, TL-S especially. TL also has a few other quirks like a cracking dash as you found, etc. I would honestly recommend you a TSX as it has had no issues with the trans & is fun to drive while getting great MPG.

You want something nice, fuel efficient and fun to drive. The BMW killed you on maintenance and you don't want that headache again. This is a prime example of you have to pay to play. My 760 has has 50K worth of repairs done to it, almost 2/5ths of it's MSRP in the last 4 years!

Look at a TSX, 07/08 first gen or 09-12 2nd gen. I saw a 2009 online for 12K before taxes with 107K. A TSX won't require the timing belt service but It'll still need to have it's waterpump done at some point and the plugs changed along with new coolant, brake fluid, etc.

With a higher mileage car you'll also have the possibility of the A/C going out, a rubber part tearing and failing, etc. The TL only exacerbates this as it's a bigger, slightly more luxurious car. Expect 1K of maintenance with any car you buy with over 75K miles because things do wear out with time and mileage. Do your due diligence when looking for a car and you'll be sure to have a winner.
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:46 PM
Intermediate

I think we all have been where the OP is, young and very excited about a "cool" car and getting on into adulthood. I know the first car I bought out of college when I got my first "real" job definitely fit into this category.

However in hindsight I think it is almost always a better decision to save and buy the car (or whatever other large purchase it is) with cash that you have in hand. Getting a loan to pay for a depreciating asset is just bad math. If you want to build credit get a credit card and buy gas each month and pay it off. This is a great way to establish credit without actually going in debt.

You do sound like you have your stuff together and have shown you know how to work and save. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the finer things in life. Right now you should really have your #1 focus on college and getting the most you can out of your education. I have no doubt you'll have plenty saved up before you know it to buy the right car. I would recommend you buy a reliable daily driver (civic/corolla) now and eliminate some of the headaches that will come from owning a "luxury" car while you focus on your studies.

I help clients manage their assets. I've found the biggest factor in determining whether someone will realize their financial goals (retirement, home purchase, etc) is their ability to defer gratification. You have a great chance here to get off on the right foot (financially)!
The following 2 users liked this post by joz00:
justnspace (07-10-2014), Slpr04UA6 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014 | 09:59 PM
-------Tim-------

^ Very Well said!

Agree with above.
Old 07-09-2014 | 10:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I heard having a paid for car is good for +10 WHP

but seriously, buy something cheap and reliable like and older honda like a civic, accord, or Integra and pay cash. When you graduate live like a college student until you've saved for a car you want in cash. Focus on your studies and enjoy college, it's an awesome time and at no point do I look back and say man I wish I had a nicer car when I was in college. Lol I had a Saturn Wagon and she never let me down.
Old 07-09-2014 | 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Agree with all of the above! As much as we'd love to have another new member to the AZ family, the maintenance costs for a TL are a bit higher than say a civic. Plus, you have to consider, you're going to college. I'm so glad I waited until after I graduated college to get my TL-S, I would have hated to have to park my baby there and have people door jamb it all the time. Plus I've heard so many stories of my nicer cars getting keyed, mutilated, etc due to jealous college kids (you know how kids get sometimes.)

The smart choice is definitely buy a civic/ 4cyl accord to save on gas, maintenance, etc. And when you graduate with a paying job, you can buy the TL. Hell, in 4 years, I'm sure you can find a good quality '08 TL Type S for about 10K
Old 07-10-2014 | 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by MandoTL
I agree with Justnspace, I bought my car through loan financing in 2011 when I was a sophomore in college and since then as the car aged and miles racked up, oil changes and gassing it up were not only items.

Had timing belt service, filter replacements, tranny fluid changes and pressure switches, speakers replaced, tires, accessory belt tensioner, Navigation drive, brakes and rotors(recently) and now I have to replace my driver side CV boot/Axle due to clicking on right turns.
All parts were OEM so they are not cheap. I am now a graduate out of college that owes less than $2500 on my car. I had a paid off 91 Integra as my high school and freshmen year of college.

OP drive an older car and save up for a car to pay cash rather than finance. I was too impatient when it came to getting my TL, and can only tell younger potentially aged buyers that cash really is KING!!

and I agree with you.
I wrote down a budget and priced out things on the TL; every thing from gas, insurance, replacement parts for wear and tear(clutch) to insurance deductible rates...everything.
and only then could I decide if I could afford the TL.
Old 07-12-2014 | 02:49 PM
Advanced

I really do appreciate everyone's input and opinions. I searched tirelessly for a week looking for my car and found the one, a 2007 Acura TL Type S in the blue with 91,000 miles. I ran the Carfax and the maintenance was kept up really well and decided to take the 8 hour drive to look at the car and ended up purchasing it. Got a great deal at $12,500 because the owner took it to a consignment place because he is in the military and was deployed and was going to be gone for a while so he had to get rid of it and I was in the right place at the right time and got a great car for a great price I think!
Old 07-12-2014 | 04:49 PM

Sounds pretty good. Just bear in mind you will be due for the 105K service prett soon based on the miles you drive.
Old 07-12-2014 | 05:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Sounds pretty good. Just bear in mind you will be due for the 105K service prett soon based on the miles you drive.
My grandad is having me due it probably within the next couple weeks to go ahead and get it done, so I'll probably get it done within the next two thousand miles! I know my mechanic quoted about $1000 to do everything!
Old 07-12-2014 | 07:59 PM
Drifting

If you're going to college, I would wait on buying a nicer car. A 2004 TL was a perfectly good/safe car for somebody your age and is definitely an above average vehicle to drive in most areas. As you noted, your first mistake was selling that.

My daughter is 17 and would love a 2004 TL, but she will not be getting one anytime soon. A car can be a needless hassle while in college. I paid for a nice car while in college and had more than a few hassles with it and don't want her to have the distraction now or next couple years..

I'm assuming you might be going to college. Perhaps you're not and will go with your business instead. If that's the case, then I would evaluate what investing the extra capital in the business buys you .vs. buying a nicer car at this stage of the game.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 07-12-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2014 | 08:14 AM
Racer

Sounds like you are on the right track early in life with starting a business, going to college, and having respect for your grandfather. I say get the car that suits you best, and then make sure you take him out in it for some fun miles and a good meal.
Old 07-13-2014 | 09:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomlinsonj
Sounds like you are on the right track early in life with starting a business, going to college, and having respect for your grandfather. I say get the car that suits you best, and then make sure you take him out in it for some fun miles and a good meal.
I think this is a great car for me, I really only have $4k in it of my own money, the $6500 is from the money my dad gave me to buy the first Acura that I sold and bought the BMW with and sold so it really wasn't my money and my mom ended up paying for the rest over $10,500 including she plans to pay for the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and whatever else is recommended. I don't believe I could I have got a better car that was what I needed and also what I wanted.
I'm actually about to take the car right now for my grandad to see it. He wasn't able to go with me because it would have been far too physically demanding for him. I actually owe him a steak because he wasn't able to have any meat for a few months because of his medical problem and now that he is recovering from his surgery I promised to take him out to a steak dinner whenever he is built up enough that he can do so, hopefully it will be before his chemo and radiation starts here in a few weeks!
Old 07-13-2014 | 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome news about picking up a TL, sounds like you got a great deal on it. So congrats!

Hope your grandfather likes the car as much as you do, but once he sees how happy you are with it, I'm sure he'll be happy. I wish him and your family the best on his road to recovery.
Old 07-13-2014 | 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I think this is a great car for me, I really only have $4k in it of my own money, the $6500 is from the money my dad gave me to buy the first Acura that I sold and bought the BMW with and sold so it really wasn't my money and my mom ended up paying for the rest over $10,500 including she plans to pay for the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and whatever else is recommended. I don't believe I could I have got a better car that was what I needed and also what I wanted.
I'm actually about to take the car right now for my grandad to see it. He wasn't able to go with me because it would have been far too physically demanding for him. I actually owe him a steak because he wasn't able to have any meat for a few months because of his medical problem and now that he is recovering from his surgery I promised to take him out to a steak dinner whenever he is built up enough that he can do so, hopefully it will be before his chemo and radiation starts here in a few weeks!
Congrats and best of wishes for your new car and your grandad! Hopefully soon you'll be modding you TL and it won't break the bank!
Old 07-13-2014 | 07:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
Congrats and best of wishes for your new car and your grandad! Hopefully soon you'll be modding you TL and it won't break the bank!
What mods would you do to the car if it was yours?
Old 07-13-2014 | 08:00 PM
Advanced

Also, the car seems to have been kept up very well by seeing the car and also by the Carfax report but it doesn't show that the transmission fluid has been changed. I think it might have been but I just have no proof of it. How much should that cost? I know if my BMW I was quoted $400 for it, hoping it's a lot less for the Acura.
Old 07-13-2014 | 08:06 PM

What mods would you do to the car if it was yours?
If you get started modding, you may wind up spending more than what you were on your Bimmer

Also, the car seems to have been kept up very well by seeing the car and also by the Carfax report but it doesn't show that the transmission fluid has been changed. I think it might have been but I just have no proof of it. How much should that cost? I know if my BMW I was quoted $400 for it, hoping it's a lot less for the Acura.
You should check out the 3G garage for some DIYs and other great info -

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/