Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friendly Reminder

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:15 AM
HMFIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friendly Reminder

When you take your car to the dealer or valet parking, make sure you do a walk-around with the service writer or valet attendant so you get your car back they way you drop it off. I always do it and when an issue comes up, things get fairly well.

A coworker and I just did valet parking in Philadelphia, PA and they damaged his new Mazda 6 Wagon (great car) and they claim the damage was already there - total B.S.

Anyway, I have a Word Document with a 5-view picture of a car and we walk around and note any damage (it helps if you keep your car clean). I make them sign it before I hand them my keys.

Cheers,

Don
Old 06-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that's a great idea.
Can you post the word document?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
6MT & LSD

are you a lawyer by any chance, kilroy?

good suggestion.

do most of you actually use the valet service? apart from the fact that i don't trust these valet guys, i'm afraid i'd look like a bastard using valet service at my age (21).

a couple of my buddies had valet jobs, at private parties, mall, etc. and i've heard way too many stories...one guy took off with a guest's ferrari for a spin, and managed to brake a mirror off... another parked an escalade with a wheel up on the curb AND left the car in R with the key still in it, which rolled off and bumped a jag xj. all too funny until it's your ferrari or jag.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KilroyR1
When you take your car to the dealer or valet parking, make sure you do a walk-around with the service writer or valet attendant so you get your car back they way you drop it off. I always do it and when an issue comes up, things get fairly well.

A coworker and I just did valet parking in Philadelphia, PA and they damaged his new Mazda 6 Wagon (great car) and they claim the damage was already there - total B.S.

Anyway, I have a Word Document with a 5-view picture of a car and we walk around and note any damage (it helps if you keep your car clean). I make them sign it before I hand them my keys.

Cheers,

Don
if you are real anal you can keep a digital camera in the car and take before and after photos as evidence.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:56 PM
HMFIC

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just tired of getting cars back with new damage and hearing "that could not have possibly happened here".

I'll host the doc on my webspace later and post the link here. I don't think I can attach a document to this thread.

Don
Old 06-16-2005, 02:27 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

What if the dealer/valet says "It is against our policy to sign any outside documents?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Wow, if you're worried that much about a car, then maybe you should park it in a garage and never drive it, that way 0% damage. This is a car, not a baby. cars get dings, cars get bumped, there's no way around it. Even if they sign it, and the car gets damaged, are you willing to put the time and the effort into getting a lawyer, filing a claim and going to court, etc? If you were driving a ferari, lambo, or some other exotic car, then maybe I can see you being worried. But an Acura TL?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Dance & Dream Productions

Originally Posted by te3point5
Wow, if you're worried that much about a car, then maybe you should park it in a garage and never drive it, that way 0% damage. This is a car, not a baby. cars get dings, cars get bumped, there's no way around it. Even if they sign it, and the car gets damaged, are you willing to put the time and the effort into getting a lawyer, filing a claim and going to court, etc? If you were driving a ferari, lambo, or some other exotic car, then maybe I can see you being worried. But an Acura TL?

I dunno about you...but I surely don't like dents...and I surely don't appreciate valet workers bumping my cars...it'll be common sense for them to pay up if it's their fault, so it'll be highly unlikely to go to court...
Old 06-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Royal Flush

Its called accountability and respect for property. Your notions about a car can be applied to your house as well. Kids playing ball in the street with a baseball....oops...was that your bay window? Ah...its just kids being kids. These things happen. Just call Allstate.....bye, k, thanks.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:01 PM
6MT & LSD

oh c'mon te3point5.. don't tell me you'd just shrug it off if you saw a big ass dent on your brand new 300C!! it's not about the price of the car getting damaged, it's about my shit getting damaged by someone else's negligence.

besides, valet companies are notorious for denying any sort of damage/stolen items claims... so although i just simply won't valet park my car, i think what kilroy is doing is perfectly reasonable.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
oh c'mon te3point5.. don't tell me you'd just shrug it off if you saw a big ass dent on your brand new 300C!! it's not about the price of the car getting damaged, it's about my shit getting damaged by someone else's negligence.

besides, valet companies are notorious for denying any sort of damage/stolen items claims... so although i just simply won't valet park my car, i think what kilroy is doing is perfectly reasonable.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed, I would be. But I wouldn't go so far as to walk around with everyone who drove my car noting what condition the car was in. When you valet the car, you're taking a risk. In fact, many places have disclaimers saying they are not responsible for damage.

So all I'm saying is, if you're that concerned about the car when you valet, don't. park it yourself like you say. These people are in charge of so many cars, and they are probably told to get as close as they can to other cars to save on room. So yeah, there is a chance it could be damaged, but like I said before, you take that risk when you valet the car. Yeah, people should respect your propery, but you can't possibly expect them to watch your car the intire time at the same time doing their other duties.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Intermediate

I have to go with the masses on this one. I have the lines and do not really care. I have a little paint peeling on my bumper where it rests against the headlights and I wont let the dealer mess that up either. For me, it's just a car; however, I understand for some it's their "baby".

Cheers,
Are you the same guy that posted the above in another thread? Do you have multiple personalities? One anal and one laid back?
Old 06-17-2005, 01:41 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Cheers,

Don
Good idea for the dealer. From the post I've read, don;t think I'll valet park anymore though.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 AM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by savidon
Are you the same guy that posted the above in another thread? Do you have multiple personalities? One anal and one laid back?
I don't mind if I ding my car or my son puts a scratch in it while riding his bike in the driveway. However, I hate when dealers don't pay attention to what they are doing and they ding the car. I hate smug lot attendants when they tell me it's impossible damage could have occurred in their parking lot.

Of course it's a car but it takes about one minute to go over the car and it eliminates any problem when you pick up your car.

Anyway, if anyone wants the doc I use, here it is. It's based on a NASCAR graphics picture but it serves the purpose.

To answer another question: If the dealer (or whoever) will not make the effort to review the car and sign the doc, I won't trust them to work on the car.

Cheers,

Don
Old 06-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

I don't mind if I ding my car or my son puts a scratch in it while riding his bike in the driveway. However, I hate when dealers don't pay attention to what they are doing and they ding the car. I hate smug lot attendants when they tell me it's impossible damage could have occurred in their parking lot.

Of course it's a car but it takes about one minute to go over the car and it eliminates any problem when you pick up your car.
I"m with you .... anyway, I was just fooling around .. I thought it was funny how you posted this here and the comments in that other thread.

Have a good one!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm Baaack!

For the limited number of times someone actually hands over the keys to someone else I think this is a GREAT idea!!!

To te3point5:
First: this is all about avoidance .. if a valet signs a paper saying the car has no damage he'll be more careful with it while parking ..

Second: If he does damage it, there's evidence substantiating fault from a representative of the valet company .. you think they're going to try and fight that? no .. they'll pay

Third: Kilroy wasn't saying he never wanted his car damaged, but, like he already said .. why should some jackass get off free if he damages your vehicle.

(Oh and by the way, the disclaimer does not abdicate the company's responsibility for damages while the car is under their control. The only good that sign does is that it prevents some people from filing a claim because some people believe it: "If it's in writing it MUST be true")
Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
But I wouldn't go so far as to walk around with everyone who drove my car noting what condition the car was in. When you valet the car, you're taking a risk. In fact, many places have disclaimers saying they are not responsible for damage.
Rental car companies do it...Acura does it when they give you a loaner...why shouldn't we do it? They don't take a risk when they give us a car, so why should we take one when we give ours to someone?