Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford copied Acura

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford copied Acura

Anyone notice the lines on the new Ford Fusion? IMO they look alot like the 3rd Gen TL. Dont misunderstand me, the TL is much cleaner and sportier and I would never think of owning a Ford.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this??
Let me know your opinion!!
Old 06-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't notice it looking like the TL but around these parts we joke that it is the Ford Prelude Fusion because the headlights are from the 5th generation Prelude and the taillights are from the 4th. Slap that onto someo TL and Accord lines and you have Ford's new fusion of Japanese design.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Race Director

headlights remind me of a G35 for some reason, but I know what you mean, its like every part of the car is copied off of something else
Old 06-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Intermediate

If Ford DID copy Acura it might have a car half-way worth buying, at the risk of it's buyers being poseurs... but poseurs with a reliable and decent car to drive.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I noticed it the other day from my third story balcony. I parked next to a fusion and was looking down at the top of the cars. They have the same length, similar shape(except that the TL has sharper lines), and the Ford's grille is larger and more flared to look like it wasn't copied. The Fusion is a nice car, but the TL has what counts: under the hood and inside the cabin!!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Cruisin'

2 different cars that are in 2 different classes. Ford built the Fusion off the same platform as their Ford 500, Ford Focus, Mazda 6, and Volvo S40(I think)

Its got the Same duratec engine they've been using since back in 95 with the Ford Taurus and the Ford Contour. Ironically when they bought most of mazda they ended their Contour lineup and remolded it as the Mazda 6 and the thing sold incredibly...that sucks cause the coutour was probably the best handling car I've ever had. If you look at the ford lineup for vehicles across the board they all look exactly alike, the Focus is a small Fusion which is a small 500...I don't think they copied Acura at all.

~darp~
Old 06-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by Ocelot
2 different cars that are in 2 different classes. Ford built the Fusion off the same platform as their Ford 500, Ford Focus, Mazda 6, and Volvo S40(I think)

Its got the Same duratec engine they've been using since back in 95 with the Ford Taurus and the Ford Contour. Ironically when they bought most of mazda they ended their Contour lineup and remolded it as the Mazda 6 and the thing sold incredibly...that sucks cause the coutour was probably the best handling car I've ever had. If you look at the ford lineup for vehicles across the board they all look exactly alike, the Focus is a small Fusion which is a small 500...I don't think they copied Acura at all.

~darp~

Ditto on the Contour being an awesome car. My 98.5 was so nimble yet refined I was often finding myself going 50+ in turns labeled as 25 or 35 The day I bought my TL I was actually kinda upset because I realized the Contour was almost as smooth at the TL in ride character, and definitely a lot more agile (for ½ the cost). I have since come to appreciate the firm but smooth character of the TL but I still sorely miss the curve hugging Contour. Guess that's why I bought a TL - to inhibit my crazy driving

And yet I'm picking up a CT RSB tomorrow (left brain/right brain fighting it out I guess).

Personally I don't care for the looks of the Fusion and I love the looks of my TL - so I'm not noticing the resemblance. I haven't, however, really compared the 2 side-by-side.

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

With technology the way it is, with computers telling us what is the best designs, there are a limited amount of aerodynamic shapes out there. After that the designers have to put spin on that shape. They are bound to repeat basic shapes.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:28 PM
All the world's a stage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, the Fusion looks more like a domestic Prelude.