Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foglight Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
Foglight Relocation

I just pull these 2 images from here because I am at work now so hopefully those member are not mad at me. But anyways, I did a little photoshop and came up this:
Most people here hate the foglamp integrated onto the headlamp. Well I wanted to see what you think of this idea. The OEM foglamp is from a 2006 Honda Accord.
I'm trying to fit it right onto the bottom grill area. I am thinking of doing this in a few weeks. So hopefully it would look nice.

So what you all think of this idea? It give a little of the OEMish look to it.

The following users liked this post:
joeyboy248 (03-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 PM
To punish and enslave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not for me, I like the integrated look.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
ehh its ok, id stick with stock, but it does look better than some of the other ones out there
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ua6spec
I just pull these 2 images from here because I am at work now so hopefully those member are not mad at me. But anyways, I did a little photoshop and came up this:
Most people here hate the foglamp integrated onto the headlamp. Well I wanted to see what you think of this idea. The OEM foglamp is from a 2006 Honda Accord.
I'm trying to fit it right onto the bottom grill area. I am thinking of doing this in a few weeks. So hopefully it would look nice.

ua6spec, It looks really clean!

The only concern is that according to another member who did extensive placement research, the cold air pickup leading to the actual air intake for the TL is located in the outer corner of the driver's side grill. Fog lights in this location might block it off or significantly reduce the cold airflow, so take a look and you'll see the small opening I am talking about. What the other member tried was to position the lights to the inside corners instead.

Other then that, you might have something here!

Let us know if you decide to install the lights and make sure when you do, you try to get pics of the process for the rest of us.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:49 PM
04 TL Black on Black

that looks sweet. please let me know the details. very interested!!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were you I would look into the TSX fogs, cause the TSX is more of a TL like front end.

the fogs you used from the accord look too big compared to the headlight projector, I think the fogs have to be smaller, than the headlights or else it looks weird.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Im sorta flattered that you used a pic of my car . . .
Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think that looks great. i personally hate the oem placement.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Cruisin'

i'm interested too ... since in CANADA we can't use the fog lights lookin into other options.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Dr. Feelgood

That's gonna be a tough project. Those plastic housings will definitely obstruct airflow if you don't reroute the airflow to the intake.
I have only the fogs and had to make my own duct to increase the airflow.
Otherwise it looks good.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Modding my TL in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I did:

http://home.comcast.net/~heagneybrian/lights.html
Old 04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Well AEM just installed a set of CAI for me for free. Unfortunately I havent seen how the airflow would really effect the blockage from the foglamp. So I have to see if that works. I just brought another set of bottom grill so I can try it out. If I screw up then I still have my original set. Actually I havent really measure the height of the OEM foglamp. I have to go the the nearest Honda or Acura dealership to measure it if it is a perfect fit. I am having a friend of my doing the custom set up so hopefully it will come out flawless. I really hate the foglamp integrated by the headlamp so I hope this would look nice.

Keep you all posted
Old 04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
so you already have the accord fog lights to work with?

anyone have pics of just the TSX fogs?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

Not yet...i have to measure which one will fit...I jsut brought another set of the front grill for now...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Have you thought about Hella MicroDE fogs? They are a bit smaller and round instead of oval-shaped.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

That looks cool, but I still like my stock with yellow bulbs more.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:53 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Lookin at the Accord fixtures it appears the lights angle is preset by the housing. Adapting it to the TL with a different front curvature may have your lights pointing in the wrong direction. Can these things be mechanically adjusted once they are installed ?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

Here is my update on the Fogligh relocation. I uses the 05 and up Accord Foglight setup. I'm using a set of Nokya Yellow bulb for now. Will switch to Philips 3000K HID

The following 2 users liked this post by KB1Spec:
BryanChewpay (06-29-2012), Kajan_8 (09-26-2011)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Here is my update on the Foglight relocation. I uses the 05 and up Accord Foglight setup. Took me 3 hours to have it done with the proper tools and jacking up the car. I'm using a set of Nokya Yellow bulb for now. Will switch to Philips 3000K HID

Old 12-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Racer

Looks good man Do you have any closer pics of the install? Any possible DIY of how to make it look oemish like that?
Old 12-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, that looks awesome. You sure know how to come up with creative ideas to make your car uniqe.

One question,
When you cleared your headlights, what did you replace the amber part with? Also what bulbs did you use? I reall like how it looks, I think it looks better than some of the other ones I seen on here
Old 12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

it looks very good! are the lenses plexi or regular glass?
i had to replace a couple on my 03TL-s
Old 12-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Safety Car

Just buy another set of the lower grill (just in case if you want to put it back to stock) Then trim out the the side of the grill. Take out the bumper and you have to trim the backing behind the grill in order to put in the bulb and also to have it adjust. On the housing of the foglight. you have to trim the upper and the lower portion so it is fit nicely and flushed. Then on the back of the housing. I uses a L bracket to hold the housing. Or you can use some twist tie. As for the wiring. I spliced the wiring from the existing socket, then brought another set of socket to extended down to the foglight. You don't need any other fuses or relay UNLESS you want to run both the foglights then you need a relay. But I'm going to run strobe lights on the stock foglight housing.

So if you run into problem just PM me! GOod Luck! It is an easy DIY. You just need another person to help you take out the bumper and also to have someone to hold onto the bumper to trim out the backing of the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Kajan_8 (09-26-2011)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

ililililil: Yes the foglight is glass.

Shayan: When I took out the amber part, I uses the original bulb BUT I brought a Sharpie marker and make it yellow since they dont have those bulbs in yellow. Yes.....my Yellow bulb on the signal is DIY as well. Thanks to Sharpie markers hee hee.

Have fun!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

i'm getting an a-spec front lip soon and i like that fog light look. something to consider.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Instructor

NICE! Very clean install. Please give some more details. Did you do any mods to adjust for the intake airflow? You should also consider the sylvania silverstars 4000k.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

If you have the A Spec front lip, you have to take it out FIRST. Just to let you know ahead of time.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:53 PM
2006 TL

I've been wanting to do a lower foglight for the longest time now!! How's it affecting intake? I dont think I'd be able to do it myself - I'd prob have to take it to a friends gargage to have it done... One more thing - in the pic of the fogs on ur car, the fog housing doesnt look like the accord one... i'm def interested in doing such a mod and would appreciate any help (I read the DIY and was like )
Old 12-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Shayan: When I took out the amber part, I uses the original bulb BUT I brought a Sharpie marker and make it yellow since they dont have those bulbs in yellow. Yes.....my Yellow bulb on the signal is DIY as well. Thanks to Sharpie markers hee hee.

Have fun!
awesome job on the DIY fogs...

you should sumbit your idea to sharpie for one of their mini sharpie commercials....haha
Old 12-10-2006, 05:31 PM
My Daily Driver

ok, so how much did you get the housings for? This is a great mod and if it's reasonably priced, I might just consider it. For a minute I thought you just bought a type-s!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Modding my TL in

I still like mine stealth...

More Pix at: http://home.comcast.net/~brian.heagney/lights.html

For both sets of lights (yes, I have two sets stacked).
Old 12-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

OK....here is a brief DIY if anyone who is consider of relocation there foglight.

Following tools:
Flat head screw driver
Philip screw driver
10mm socket/wrench
Some twist ties.
Electrical tape
splicers
wire stripper
L-Brackets.
Dremel or a portable hacksaw
Another set of the bottom bumper grill (cost about $18.00 at the dealer)
A set of OEM 04-Up Honda Accord 4 door OEM foglight. Be sure it comes with all the hardware like wiring and socket (you will need this!) you can find this on Ebay. Cost you like $70 with shipping.
Jack stand.
It's a good idea to have another person to help you to take out the bumper.

OK here is the fun part.

Take out the from bumper. That shoud be a no brainer. If you don't know how to take it out. just do a search on the forum.

Once the bumper is off, take out the from bumper grill. Now with the housing of the Accord foglight, use a marker or a guide to mark the area where you need to trim the bumper grill.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE A-SPEC FRONT LIP INSTALLED. It is a good idea to unscrew the lip. You don't have to take it out but unscrew it so there are room for you to take out the bumper grill because the A Spec lip wrap on top of the bumper grill.

Best way is to put the foglight housing on top of the bumper grill. Line it up to the point where you need to have it trim. Once you do that, just use a cutter or a trimmer to trim off the area that where the housing will fit in. You are cutting the slits so don't CUT out the outer ring of the bumper griil.

Once that is done, get your housing and try to flush in the bumper grill. If you notice, the housing of the foglamp is a few millimeter bigger. So you have to get a cutter and trim off the excess on both the top and the bottom of the foglight housing. BE CAREFUL if you use the cutter or you might cut yourself.

OK now for the bumper, since the back of the bumper grill have an area that is cover, you NEED to trim those off in order to put in the foglight or there is no room. You dont need to trim off the whole thing. But there is couple of people here have question about the Air Intake. yes the foglight does cover a little bit from the Air Intake. So what i did was I trim off the whole area.

So NOW you have trimmed both the left and right side of the bumper's front grill backing.

OK time to put in the foglight. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE THE A-SPEC FRONT LIP INSTALLED. It is a good idea to unscrew the lip. You don't have to take it out but unscrew it so there are room for the grill and the foglight housing to fit right in. So right now, put in both the foglight and the grill back to the bumper. Once that is done you can scew back the A-Spec lip.

Now for mounting the foglamp housin, I uses a L Bracket to hold onto the foglight. To do that you need to put a L bracket between the housing of the screw and the L bracket. The L Bracket should be mounted onto the bumper. ANOTHER easy way to do is just use twist tie and twist tie the foglamp onto a particular area on the bumper. Sound kinda of complcated but PM me if you have question on this.

Wiring....very simple. When you buy the set of OEM Accord foglight, it will comes with the wiring and socket. So on the stock socket, use tap a wire with from thepositive wire on the stock socket and tap it onto the postive wire on the oem socket from your foglight kit. And for the negative wire from the foglight kit just tap it onto the body. It is good to use a wire loop so you dont have any expose wiring hanging around. And it also give a clean look too. But the foglight kit usually comes like that. You don't need any harness or fuses that comes from the kit because the stock foglight on the TL are equip. AND you can use your original foglight switch. So no need to run any wires onto the firewall.

So once everything are connected on both left and right side. You can finally put back your bumper on. Once the bumper is on, try to find a wall and align your foglight. To do that, on the side of the foglight there is a screw so you can adjust it. Or just go underneath the bumper and get a small philip screw driver and adjust it from there.

So now....fire up the foglight! and have fun!

ALSO if you are going to run HID with it, you have to trim the the inside of the foglight because the D2S bulb will not fit unless you trim it. And if you are FOR SURE going to use HID as the foglight, the bulb needs to be glue or else it will be loose and fall of. Unless there is a custom ring or adapter (which I have not do any research yet) then it will be ok.
YOU DON'T need to add relay or fuse since the stock have it already. But you might need a higher fuse like a 25 or 30amp.

Good Luck! and have fun!

If you have question. PM me I might be slow in response but I will try my best to answer you any questions.

Raymond
Old 12-10-2006, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
ok, so how much did you get the housings for? This is a great mod and if it's reasonably priced, I might just consider it. For a minute I thought you just bought a type-s!
Hmm......foglamp cost me $70 with shipping. The bumper grill.....like $18.00 a set. Then you need like those electrical stuff. I would say under $100 or less if you are using your original bumper grill. I just brought another set because my car is a lease so. hee hee....
Old 12-10-2006, 06:23 PM
My Daily Driver

ok, so you just went off of ebay then. Now, can you turn the fog lights on without the headlight or not since you tapped into the factory harness? How exactly did you mount the L-brackets to the bumper, is there a spot to mount the bracket to on the inside of the bumper then?

Thanks again.....it looks great!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
Congratulations, That looks very professional. If I lived in an area where I needed actual working fog lamps I would definatly relocate them lower in the bumper like you have done.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those fogs look really great......... can't wait until spring so I can start doing some of this stuff........
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Have fun!
Wait, what did you replace the amber part with or did you replace it with anthing?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 09:42 PM
2006 TL

Hey Raymond, tried PMing you the following, but ur box is full.

I'm just double checking, but is the foglight encasement on your car the same as on the Honda Accord? I know you stated this but in the pic of the Honda and the pic of your car the encasement/fixture/whatever u wanna call it looks very different. I've been wanting to do such a mod, and my friend owns a garage and is willing to do the install for free, granted I give him the right equipment and the DIY printout. Another thing, do I have to re-route my intake or not? Help's always appreciated! Thanks

Joey
Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shayan
Wait, what did you replace the amber part with or did you replace it with anthing?

Thanks
I dont have the amber part. It is clear. But I painted the housing black.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
Hey Raymond, tried PMing you the following, but ur box is full.

I'm just double checking, but is the foglight encasement on your car the same as on the Honda Accord? I know you stated this but in the pic of the Honda and the pic of your car the encasement/fixture/whatever u wanna call it looks very different. I've been wanting to do such a mod, and my friend owns a garage and is willing to do the install for free, granted I give him the right equipment and the DIY printout. Another thing, do I have to re-route my intake or not? Help's always appreciated! Thanks

Joey
Yes just go online on ebay and look for the 2004-up Honda Accord. This is what I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200045840058

Just get the 4 door not the coupe.

If you have an aftermarket cold air intake, you don't need to re route the air intake. If you have a stock air box, I'm not too sure on that. I think you might need to take it out. Just cut the backing of the bumper a little more bigger so you can get enough cold air.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Foglight Relocation