Sponsored by:

Foaming At The Mouth

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Hal
Pedestrian Polo CHAMPION!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foaming At The Mouth

Going for my hat trick today... I'll tell you all about my journey for a TL.

I'm just 21 years old, work as a webmaster, and I love modern cars. I'm not a big super car fan (they just go fast.. that's all) I'd rather watch the market and read about real cars that real people buy. I can recognize cars at night by their tail light signatures, and some by their headlight signatures as well. It's this sharp attention to detail that makes me really picky about my car.

I drive a customized 02 Accord Coupe, the trunk is shaved of all effects to give it a more tough, concept appearance. I'm real proud of all the changes I've made that makes my car look sleek, mysterious and stylish as opposed to just another rice rocket. Well, I'm an ambitious kid, and when I get the motivation to move up a notch, I'm gonna put all of my resources into it until I get there. So, when I got a couple hefty raises at my job, I was suddenly hunting for a new car in a higher price tier.

For a while, it was ALL about the G35 coupe. I was pricing them out, running them under a microscope, getting ready to pounce into one. The only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the fact that the interior was nearly identical to my Accord with no new features, and the trunk space was pathetic. The thought of blowing 10K more on what was basicly an engine upgrade really made me hold off. The G35 sedan wasn't too appealing in the looks department to get my attention.

I started to look at the Caddy CTS and the Volvo S60 T6. I knew I didn't want a BMW because despite the legendary craftsmanship, EVERYONE and their mother has one here in SoCal. I know to stay away from Mercedes too, because my friend works for them and tells me all about their cars. Well, I was impressed with the CTS - immensely impressed. It has features galore and the salesman actually let me make the tires screech as I hurtled down a 270 degree onramp. "That was the most radical thing anyone has ever done with me in the car." The Volvo was too plain on the inside to give a second thought.

So, I went home, dreaming about the CTS, planning my finances once again. I was a young little computer geek and I was gonna own a Caddy. My *parents* own a Caddy. It was more of a prestige thing than a shame thing. I was discouraged to get a few negative opinions about the car from friends though. They all thought it was ugly, while I thought I was just tough-looking. I won't lie to you, other peoples' opinions DO count. You buy a car for yourself, but the tradition of buying a brand new car INCLUDES showing it off to all your buddies. AM I RIGHT?

So, I held off a little more. The CTS WAS a bit pricey with all the options I wanted and the salesman seemed like he was discouraging me from buying one by second-guessing the figures I told him I was making.

Then, the TL came into view. It had kinda slipped under my radar for a while until I came across it on Yahoo Motors, which is the site I regularly check for modern car specs and prices. I think I instantly fell in love. One of my main requirements for a car is... it MUST have a unique and exciting back end. That's the only end people are gonna be seeing, anyways. Well, despite reviewers calling the hiney of the TL 'conservative' I find it to be quite unique and tough-looking.

I took a look at everything - the engine, the interior, the features. Being a Honda, I knew it would be just as trusty as my family's 4 previous cars from the same company. I think I fell in love on the test drive. I put a deposit down for the dealership to order an Anthracite/Ebony 6spd Manual w/ NAVI and I've been waiting for about 2 months now. I'm informed that I can have it as soon as I let them know, I just need to sell my car.

Foaming at the mouth.

I posted in another thread that I don't see too many 04 TLs on the road as opposed to the G35's, which I see a plethora of in both flavors. Well, despite only seeing about one per week, I find that I am able to recognize them INSTANTLY when I see them. Like, for instance, last night, I was driving home in the dark, and 4 lanes over, I saw a brake light come into view from an onramp. BAM. My head shot over - That's gonna be my car!! It's like this all the time too, I will catch just a little bit of the car with my eye and I will latch on like a high powered electromagnet. I am obsessed.

I've been reading this forum and a couple others, as well as the acura newsgroups. I've done my homework and I am so excited to get this car. I want to show it off to my family. Look Mom, your son is going somewhere in life. Look Dad, don't you wish your Caddy had these features? Look Sis, I'll let you drive it around the block, but you're not gonna take it out on any dates like I let you with my Accord.

So today, I'm finally posting on here because the anticipation is too high. I must share with everyone the pride I feel and I'm hoping others feel the same. I read peoples' happy reviews of their new car and I melt. I'm thinking of just saying, "SCREW IT" and trading in my car so I can get my TL right away.

Does ANYONE wanna buy my car? Heh. I caaaaant waaaaait!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice read.....sorry, won't buy your car...already have YOUR TL.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:22 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the same combo as you.
How much would you loose if you trade in your car?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:27 PM
What's a TL?

I traded in my leased '01 CL-S almost 2 years early and still got taken care of pretty well. If you take the car to the right dealer, they will give you a fair price for the trade it. It will never be as much as you could sell the car for, but it is a lot less of a headache.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not try a CarMax near you?
Old 03-17-2004, 04:43 PM
Pro

am glad you saw the LIGHT....was funny what you said about bimmers...here in cerritos almost every asian i know has one (am asian too) i almost got a certified preowned 530i but when i test drove the TL i just totally fell in love with it ....hope you get your car soon buddy!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Hal

My car is worth about 18k by the bluebook
I think the dealership would offer me 15-16k
I haven't asked them yet, though, as I only had this driving notion this morning.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Instructor

hal: nice post. That story sounds remarkably familiar, except for the BMW part. I still favour the BMW 330 covertible. other than that...ditto. i am trying to work out the math to move from an 00TL (still love it) to the 04TL.....Trying to convince myself that i can take the hit from the trade in. Those damn ppl at honda, have just done such a nice job, its too hard not to drool and obsess over the 04 TL!

Hope u get ur car soon.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes I am pushy, annoying, and lazy
anyone wanna summarize that beheamath?
Maybe some bullet points?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You're already 21 and you can *just now* afford a TL? You've obviously spent a significant portion of your life screwing around.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by wstevens
You're already 21 and you can *just now* afford a TL? You've obviously spent a significant portion of your life screwing around.

I am 21 too, you got a problem with that?
I spend little to no time fooling around
This forum is my spare time and you are all my family
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe
Old 03-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Hal

I don't know about where you live, but the standard of living here in Simi Valley, CA is incredibly high.

But to get this straight.. are you knocking me on an anonymous internet website?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally posted by Hal
I don't know about where you live, but the standard of living here in Simi Valley, CA is incredibly high.

But to get this straight.. are you knocking me on an anonymous internet website?
Relax chief. No need to start anything. Never fun. End it.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I'd like to date your sister. Please post pics, mobile number, email, etc.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Advanced

hey Hal, got any pics of your car?
I too had a 6th gen. Accord (sweet car it was hehe).

Can't wait to get my 2004 TL
Old 03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Hal

I got pics here... http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74157
Old 03-18-2004, 02:01 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by iLLeGaLaKKoRd
hey Hal, got any pics of your car?
I too had a 6th gen. Accord (sweet car it was hehe).

Can't wait to get my 2004 TL
iLLeGaLakkord... snoopy20 here from v6p. I see you and I have ventured onto this board. The TL is one of the strongest choice I have compared to some other cars I have yet to research. I'm selling my 98 Accord coupe too everybody.

btw, 21 years old and a webmaster...not too shabby. I was a network admin and banking, oh that was back in the day... time to step up.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Re: Foaming At The Mouth

Well, despite only seeing about one per week, I find that I am able to recognize them INSTANTLY when I see them. Like, for instance, last night, I was driving home in the dark, and 4 lanes over, I saw a brake light come into view from an onramp. BAM. My head shot over - That's gonna be my car!! It's like this all the time too, I will catch just a little bit of the car with my eye and I will latch on like a high powered electromagnet. I am obsessed.
that's totally what i do all the time. i move around to get better views too... and then i drool... and think about driving it myself... haha. my friends all think i'm crazy, but they agree that it's a beautiful car.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

I was hit by the same bug. I walked out of lunch with a couplle of clients last October and we all stopped to look at the mysterious dark grey (Anthracite) car parked in front. I was like what the
he%% is that?!? We all started walking around it and checking it out and I said, "It's a freaking Acura. Now that's a sharp looking car!" Now as I drove away I started thinking about how I was going to get out of my 2001 Camry SE V6 and the obsession just grew from there. Spending hours on the Acura Website, driving by the dealer every chance I got just to look at them from every angle. And the rest, is as they say...
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Hal

nice story swat dude, I got into my accord the very same way
Old 03-18-2004, 09:43 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
hey hal.... can u wait few more days and I will let you know if I wanna make a deal with you on your accord. I like it the way it is, and I am looking for another car and make my TL weekend car since i'm putting too many miles on it.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Hal

Originally posted by AcuraTLjaTT559
hey hal.... can u wait few more days and I will let you know if I wanna make a deal with you on your accord. I like it the way it is, and I am looking for another car and make my TL weekend car since i'm putting too many miles on it.
I can wait, but I would like some correspondence with you. Ask me any questions you may have and tell me what's on your mind as far as how you'd like to go about it. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:11 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
well let me talk to my dad first... and only question in my mind is that how lowered is it? and warranty stuff...

u can pm me on AIM....
Old 03-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Hal

Settle down - it was a *joke*. When I was 21 I spent all of the $3 I had to my name on a 40 of Schlitz.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Advanced

It is great to hear from people who are going through similar experiences/emotions. This is a great site!

I traded my '01 TL for the '04 last week. The numbers were not exactly what I was hoping for, but I am willing to bite the bullet for a while to do it.

You have to do what makes you happy in this world, and also have the confindence in yourself to know that you will be in a better place financially in 6 months/1 year/2 years etc...

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got your joke. It was funny.

These young whippersnappers today are just getting way to uppity. I say if they can't take a joke we kill'em all.

PS: Young people, that was another joke
Old 03-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Couldn't catch us anyways old man

:p