Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

floored my TL for the first time today

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floored my TL for the first time today

on the way back home from my rotation, i, for some reason, said what the heck and decided to FINALLY floor my 2 months old WDP TL (2200 miles). the acceleration was great....felt the VTEC engine power in as my foot was deep in to the panel......but i must say i was little disappointed at the pick up speed once i hit 60miles....i guess i was expecting my head to be glued to the headrest due to the 270 horses of accerlation but my body barely moved back as i sped up to 100 miles in 3rd gear.......so that was little disappointing but i guess with all the weight that TL has, i was overexpecting myself....plus my old car had 150 hp so i had a bigger expectations......but overall, it was exhilarating experience!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...34#post1255634

"..i guess i was expecting my head to be glued to the headrest due to the 270 horses of accerlation"

ck the link above turns out it is 258 hp not 270
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crxb
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...34#post1255634

"..i guess i was expecting my head to be glued to the headrest due to the 270 horses of accerlation"

ck the link above turns out it is 258 hp not 270
Officially his two-month old '05 (I'm guessing it's an '05) still has 270 hp at the crank. It's the '06 that has 258.

But they will put down near identical numbers at the wheels, given equal conditions.

People need to stop making a big deal out of the new SAE standards. It's not that big of a deal.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodFart
Officially his two-month old '05 (I'm guessing it's an '05) still has 270 hp at the crank. It's the '06 that has 258.

But they will put down near identical numbers at the wheels, given equal conditions.

People need to stop making a big deal out of the new SAE standards. It's not that big of a deal.

just an attempt at humor
Old 08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone thought of gearing? The intermediates are not very low in this car - they are for smoothness and good fuel economy.

I loved the "overexpecting myself" term - that is a new one.

Few cars will glue you to anything above 100 mph. I recommend SuperGlue gel liberally applied to the back of your head.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not had the car long enough, but I know there is a sweet spot
in 2nd or 3rd gear where you really feel the power.
I was out one night shortly after I got the car, without the wife, on a
twisty road, and gave it a lot of gas at a moderate speed and felt
the power.
At other times I have floored in and it did not FEEL as fast, even though
I let it get to much higher rpm's.
I was going FAST though, and already have to many points on my licence
from the motorcycle....

Very moderate applications of the throttle in any sort of turn seems
to upset the crappy stock tires though!

After the engine gets well broken in, and I get used to the car, I need to
play a bit.
As it is, I get to drive it a bit on weekends (with the wife), and have
not pushed the car at all, or even figured out how to launch it
from a stop briskly.

I know I could get into some serious trouble with this car though...

Brett
Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the fact that I can take off from a stop, but I hate doing it cause I look down afterwards and I swear the needle has moved a notch down on the fuel gauge.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:46 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Originally Posted by AMIC
I love the fact that I can take off from a stop, but I hate doing it cause I look down afterwards and I swear the needle has moved a notch down on the fuel gauge.
ROFL I agree on fuel consumption. I had fun on highway over weekend (1500 mile trip) and I filled tank four times driving in rocky mountain, was all over other cars.

I had fun outrunning S430, Camry V6, Taurus SES, 4Runner V8, Saab 9-3 and more on 10+% grade in 2nd gear hitting 5500RPM+ (5AT). With two passengers and full load of tents and blankets and food and water. I wasn't letting anyone pass me. As soon as someone was coming close in my rearview mirror, I changed to 3rd and floored to 90MPH

I was doing between 50MPH - 90MPH on hilly curvy road most of part. It sure ate lot of gas even I had Shell V-power with 92 octane in tank.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol they all have 258... it was all marketing mumbo jumbo... If it is all true I am sure acura is scrambling to put a spin on why the drop and that the engine really produces what they claim...

The gearing can make a big difference. As far as being disappointed. well some people expect more from the car.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodFart

The '06 is going to have less HP??
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have the same experience - I have not paid attention to the exact RPM at the time, but there is definite points where I have felt gradual acceleration and other times where I feel myself hanging on and pressed into the seat. Probably when the RPMs are 3000 and I mash the gas is when I get it to really kick - maybe 2500. Somewhere around there - I usually don't notice cause I am laughing and grinning too much. Car has some balls.

Originally Posted by Brettg
I have not had the car long enough, but I know there is a sweet spot
in 2nd or 3rd gear where you really feel the power.
I was out one night shortly after I got the car, without the wife, on a
twisty road, and gave it a lot of gas at a moderate speed and felt
the power.
At other times I have floored in and it did not FEEL as fast, even though
I let it get to much higher rpm's.
I was going FAST though, and already have to many points on my licence
from the motorcycle....

Very moderate applications of the throttle in any sort of turn seems
to upset the crappy stock tires though!

After the engine gets well broken in, and I get used to the car, I need to
play a bit.
As it is, I get to drive it a bit on weekends (with the wife), and have
not pushed the car at all, or even figured out how to launch it
from a stop briskly.

I know I could get into some serious trouble with this car though...

Brett
Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you turn off the VSA before flooring it? I was told if you need to turn it off to squeal the tires....never tried it though.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Try this when you are going on an empty road at around 30-35 mph in the 4th gear, floor the car, the car will downshift quickly into 2 or 3 and will give you a burst of power I sometimes do it to make lights (ahem

I have been dissappointed as well while flooring the car from a stop position, maybe that is because of only the 238 lb/feet of torque...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickey3c
lol they all have 258... it was all marketing mumbo jumbo... If it is all true I am sure acura is scrambling to put a spin on why the drop and that the engine really produces what they claim...

The gearing can make a big difference. As far as being disappointed. well some people expect more from the car.
270hp was not marketing mumbo jumbo. The engine made (and makes) 270hp according to the old SAE standard that everyone was using. There is a NEW SAE standard that Honda has voluntarily chosen to adopt. The 06 does not make one hp less than the 05, much the same way that 99 degrees farenheit does not become cooler when expressed as 37 degrees celcius. The number is different because the standard is different.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Team Pumkin

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
Did you turn off the VSA before flooring it? I was told if you need to turn it off to squeal the tires....never tried it though.
VSA

BD
Old 08-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAdams
270hp was not marketing mumbo jumbo. The engine made (and makes) 270hp according to the old SAE standard that everyone was using. There is a NEW SAE standard that Honda has voluntarily chosen to adopt. The 06 does not make one hp less than the 05, much the same way that 99 degrees farenheit does not become cooler when expressed as 37 degrees celcius. The number is different because the standard is different.
Yet GM has been doing this already, and the lower end GTP was accurate in reading. (Similiar class).

It's called PATHETIC.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel
Yet GM has been doing this already, and the lower end GTP was accurate in reading. (Similiar class).

It's called PATHETIC.
The GTP is SUPERCHARGED and has a larger engine. If it wasn't more powerful, I would be shocked.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RAdams
I never said it made less power.... lol

LOL ok believe what you want. Sure they voluntarily adopted the new standard so they can claim less power.. Are you listening to all this.???....

But people make purchase decisions on advertised HP ratings. If they advertise 270 and make 258 that is quite a drop. Now the Corvette gained 5 pnonies.. Which goes to show you that you need to get with it. I would like to see how many other companies lose as much as honda does. So honda does their testing on a minimal standards that will give them a better marketing position.

Wake up be a wise consumer and do not believe the hype. I am sure you have a better sex life because of the car as well. lol.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
When you have a car that will break traction (spin the tires, gentlemen) in 4th gear (4-speed transmission, 3.54:1 rear) at 100 MPH, then, my friends, you really do have a screaming machine.

(source, November, 1965 Car and Driver road test of the 1966 427 A/C Shelby Cobra, 485 HP, 480 lb/ft of torque, 2850 pounds).
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickey3c
I never said it made less power.... lol

LOL ok believe what you want. Sure they voluntarily adopted the new standard so they can claim less power.. Are you listening to all this.???....

But people make purchase decisions on advertised HP ratings. If they advertise 270 and make 258 that is quite a drop. Now the Corvette gained 5 pnonies.. Which goes to show you that you need to get with it. I would like to see how many other companies lose as much as honda does. So honda does their testing on a minimal standards that will give them a better marketing position.

Wake up be a wise consumer and do not believe the hype. I am sure you have a better sex life because of the car as well. lol.
What the hell are you talking about? Honda cannot make up hp figures for their cars... they are measured to a standard. That standard has changed. As a result, the old 270hp figure is now 258hp. Nothing has changed in the engine. The way it's measured has changed.

You don't understand the new OR old SAE standards -- I suggest you read up on them. Educate yourself. This will affect EVERY manufacturer -- some cars will gain a few poines, some will lose a few. Not everything is a conspiracy.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steel

It's called PATHETIC.
Read the documentation on the new standard. Arm yourself with the knowledge. Your car still has the same power it had last month before you found out about any of this.