Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flooded tl!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:00 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flooded tl!! help

well not flooded... a couple days ago it rained and all four of my windows were open and the rain just happened to get in and wet everything... and today i notice that my carpet is still wet and damp.... the carpet and floor mats or soaked... i took out the floor mats and got them layign in the garage hoping they will dry up soon.. but my problem is the carpet on our tl flooring... its wet and my car is starting to stink... anyone know of a way to dry the carpet besides a hair dryer.... any suggestions? spray fabreeze? do you think the water went through the carpet and down into the metal of the car? i hope it wont rust anytime soon or later down the future... think the water has any effect on anything in my car... if you read my recent post about the passanger airbag off light.. it happened after the rain.... any suggestions plz... im kinda more worried about the car getting damaged and start to rust and build corrosion then the wet and stinky car...
Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use a wet/dry shop vac to extract all the water you can from the carpets and anything else that's wet. Then leave the car in a dry and preferably ventilated place (garage should work), doors open. Put a fan inside, on the floor, for faster drying.

If it's bad enough, and the process above doesn't make enough progress, you'll have to remove the carpets. Obviously that means first removing the seats and probably lots of other parts, which is why I suggested the shop vac as the first attempt. If lots of water is way down in the insulation under the carpet, a shop vac may not get a lot of it out. It all depends on how wet it really is. If it's really bad, carpet removal, then drying them out of the car, is probably the way to go. (And maybe even clean/shampoo them to get any smell out).

If you don't get it dry quickly, you're going to have a mold/mildew problem if you don't already. If you get it dry relatively soon, there won't be any concerns with rust of the metal body parts.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

u know where i can get my hands on a wet.dry shop vac???? i hope it didnt get down to the metal but how long and hard is it to take the carpet apart i might just wanna take it apart just to make sure the water didnt get down there just to prevent future problems...and im guessing a helms service manual comes in handle at this point also...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:16 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

If you think there is water under the carpets it could be alot of work to get them dry. I did this on an Integra and it took several days just to get the underlay dry with a fan and a portable heater. I learned about desicants too late.

I agree with Hybrid and add that if you think it is not getting dry fast enough for you, get a bag of dessicant from an RV parts place or maybe True value. You place the desicant in a pail, and for lack of a better word, it sucks the moisture out of the air hindering the mildew process while the car dries. If your seats got wet you better treat them gently. I would remove as much of the interior as possible placing the upholstery indoors with a fan blowing on the peices. Then do some exploration under the carpet with your finger. Poke your finger into the underlay. If it comes out wet don't hesitate to remove the carpet.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2005, 12:17 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Sears or Home Depot have some decent small wet/dry vacs.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Suzuka Master

I would take it to a detail shop, have them shampoo and dry it their way, they probably do a very good job getting it dry.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
...for moment, I thought I1 might have been owner of that dark gray 3G TL on The Weather Channel that was being pushed through 2ft of water in White Plains yesterday.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:10 AM
DEG
Advanced

Sounds like a job for the pro's. Call your insurance company.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Seats?

How about the seats? If the carpet got that soaked, I'd think that water must have penetrated the seat padding, with the perforated leather allowing the water in, too.

I agree with others, wet or dry vac (Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart, etc.) and dissicant or take it to a pro, like a detailer. The sooner the better.

But if it's starting to stink, you've already got a problem brewing.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:10 AM
9th Gear

Wet carpets, etc

If not already stated, your real problem will be with mold! If the car starts to stink, its already too late. Once the mold spores get in the carpet, its almost impossible to remove them all.

How wet and where are they wet? Are they wet at the front foot wells? This may make it easier.

Short of replacing the carpets, the first thing is to get the carpets dry. As mentioned earlier, vac out as much water as you can. I would then open the windows this weekend and park in the sun. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate!

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Team Nighthawk Member

the seats did get wet... and the carpet is wet at where you place your feet but more on the outside more towards the doors... its wet but i dont think its wet that much to cause anything... im not sure... i checks for the carpet parts yesterday tryign to see how much they cost to replace.. its 2 seperate peiece and willl come out to almost 300... i think i will take it to the pros when i can...
Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

So -- let me get this right. You live in the Bronx and park your car outside with the windows down? I think you got what you deserve. You're lucky you still have the TL. Too bad the TL doesn't automatically close the windows when you lock it (assuming you would lock it -- but that is not certain based on your thread).
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Racer

I'm wondering about the leaving your windows down in the Bronx too? Maybe if you left it a little longer, you would simply be able to go buy a new TL and not have to worry about the old car. Let the thieves worry at that point.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Call a local Servpro franchise. They do water and smoke cleanups and have items to extract the liquid and to keep the fabrics from molding once they get the vehicle dry. They do excellent work.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear bout this my friend...Take it to the pros before its too late...BTW Fellas Its the Bronx not Wash DC I think he's ok to leave his wondows down...(You guys watch too many movies)
Old 06-30-2005, 11:38 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bejay
If not already stated, your real problem will be with mold! If the car starts to stink, its already too late. Once the mold spores get in the carpet, its almost impossible to remove them all.

How wet and where are they wet? Are they wet at the front foot wells? This may make it easier.

Short of replacing the carpets, the first thing is to get the carpets dry. As mentioned earlier, vac out as much water as you can. I would then open the windows this weekend and park in the sun. Ventilate, ventilate, ventilate!

Good Luck

...smell only means mold....
Old 06-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say call the insurance company and let them worry about replacing the carpets and cleaning out the car. I am sure it will cost a ton in carpeting and labor to clean out the car. Sorry to hear about this
Old 06-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Brother Sum

You need to take the mats out if you haven't already and leave them out. Go get a wet/dry vac and get out as much of that stuff as you can. leave your windows down and let air dry it out, in a sunny spot if possible, if it mildews you're screwed.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Desi Pride

Take it to a good detail shop. They should be able to help you out and it should not be that bad in cost.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Banned

detail shop or hit Home Depot and rent a Shop Vac. It's a simple issue to resolve, don't panic.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by levyfresh
Sorry to hear bout this my friend...Take it to the pros before its too late...BTW Fellas Its the Bronx not Wash DC I think he's ok to leave his wondows down...(You guys watch too many movies)
Really! The guy ask for help in removing water and gets slammed for the area he lives in. What a bunch of jerks.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

Originally Posted by srhewes
So -- let me get this right. You live in the Bronx and park your car outside with the windows down? I think you got what you deserve. You're lucky you still have the TL. Too bad the TL doesn't automatically close the windows when you lock it (assuming you would lock it -- but that is not certain based on your thread).
you fuckin dick you dont even know me... if you look at my profile its say Bronx NY/ Toms River NJ.... you need to get your shit straight before you start criticizing people... and i fuckin asked how to remove water not about should i lock my car or not... wait wait do you have a tl??? are you one of those mules that run around forums and bull shit about having the car and making posts about what mod should i do next.... you a fuckin joke man... the car was in nj when the windows were open... and posting information about where the car was parked when water got in wasnt important... gotta be fuckin kidding me... go work some more and save money for a tl fucking prick...
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

ooops i hit the summit button twice so dam pissed.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

i am going to do it at work 2morrow... i got a dry/wet vac at work and i will be vaccumming it out tomorrow... its been 2 days and its starting to dry up and today i removed the plastic next to the door sills and stuck my fingers in there and it seems pretty good to me... i mean the carpet is pretty thick... and the car doesnt stink... it only stink when you touch the wet area and sniff your fingers... lol... but i think i should be ok.. there shouldnt be mold or mildew... after i dry/wet vac it i will find a detailer around the jersey area to check it out... i just moved up to this area i dont know jack about this place... and sorry for the language on the above post... these guys are jerks... i dont even think they got tl... just jealous im 18 and got a tl and my mother didnt even buy it... im earning this car myself
Old 07-01-2005, 10:17 AM
The Flipster

Originally Posted by I10O0I1
you fuckin dick you dont even know me... if you look at my profile its say Bronx NY/ Toms River NJ.... you need to get your shit straight before you start criticizing people... and i fuckin asked how to remove water not about should i lock my car or not... wait wait do you have a tl??? are you one of those mules that run around forums and bull shit about having the car and making posts about what mod should i do next.... you a fuckin joke man... the car was in nj when the windows were open... and posting information about where the car was parked when water got in wasnt important... gotta be fuckin kidding me... go work some more and save money for a tl fucking prick...
but how do you really feel ?