Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding a reason to drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:13 AM
TL Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding a reason to drive

It was about a month since I bought Acura TL 05. And every evening as I come from work and passing by my baby, I am thinking about where to drive or find any other reason to use it or just wash it. It could be the obsession with a new toy, but the car absolutely rocks. I was wondering do you have similar "sensations" and for how long?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Shift_faster

^ Partly it is the obsession with the new toy, but I think its more than that too. However, I still catch myself looking at the TL even after a year of ownership. There are days when I just open up the sunroof, and just drive. It's relaxing, and makes you forget about the daily grind for a few fleeting moments.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:26 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I really need a "mini-vacation" after the weeks I've had at work. However, with the soaring prices of gas as of late, it has left me grounded. One of these days, I'll just say "F it . . . I just need to get away from it all!" and I'd be on my way . . . probably around the beach.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the exact same experience. I am constantly going out for drives when I don't need to. With the navigation I know I can't get lost, so I am able to enjoy the drive anywhere. The mods to the car make me want to cruise around even more.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I've had mine since April and also find myself wanting to drive her every chance I get. I'm always taking the long way home (my commute is only 15 mins on local roads so I really go out of the way in a big circle just to enjoy my ride) and with the Navi and its POI's I find myself looking for out of the way car washes and restaurants in places where I'd normally not venture because it would be stupid to say search the net (if they were listed at all) or the yellow pages and then do a mapquest just to get a carwash 3 towns over.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
TL Photographer

Yes, gas prices bite somewhat painfully. But I got numb to it, I just said to myself "I am not going to pay attention". So I just enjoy the drive. And because my hobby is photography, I often drive to Shenandoah National Park (mountains) which is about 100 miles from home and spend a day there. Though even during work days I want to drive and do something with my car That's such a joy drive this cuty
Old 09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Cold Racketeer

Unforunately these little drives around for fun are getting me in trouble... i posted abotu the ticket i got the other day and just last night i accidentally blew thru a red light which flashed me :[
Old 09-30-2005, 10:22 AM
TL Photographer

Tzakiel, enjoy the drive but don't forget about surroundings Or drive somewhere where there is a less chance to get a ticket
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Instructor

i always take the LONG way home haha or when i skip my exit on the highway i seem to make a little grin/smirk haha god damn i love my TL
Old 09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
TL Photographer

Tallfuq - it's more like cheating yourself (or you woman) into staying longer with the other babe
Old 09-30-2005, 10:55 AM
6MT & LSD

When I was in MI, the routes for my joy rides were pretty limited and mundane... mostly because they were flat, straight roads w/ cops everywhere.

Now that I'm in CO, I'm overwhelmed with sweet roads to drive on... Nowadays, I save my "joy ride mileage" for weekend cruises on the mountain roads (went on one with S2K's last sunday and it was a blast).
Old 09-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My commute is 2 miles so I don't get to drive much during the work week, but it was so nice yesterday that I opened the sunroof and took the long way to run some errands after work. Going to Dallas today so I'll get to drive a lot this weekend.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
^ Partly it is the obsession with the new toy, but I think its more than that too. However, I still catch myself looking at the TL even after a year of ownership. There are days when I just open up the sunroof, and just drive. It's relaxing, and makes you forget about the daily grind for a few fleeting moments.
Exactly...I've had mine a year and a half, and I can still just stand and stare at it or drive around town for absolutely no reason other than to drive around (gas prices be damned, I'm only going to live once...better enjoy it!).
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

I just got a new '05 about a month ago. I feel the same way as you have all said, I just look for a random reason to drive. I find myself taking the girlfriend to restaraunts farther away just to be able to drive.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

I too take the long way home... I could take the back roads, and only have two traffic lights (a few stop signs too) between work and home (12 miles). But isntead, often times I take the longer router... well, it's 12 miles too I just meant there are traffic lights as they arent back roads (all roads here are in grids, there are no "shortcuts" as far as distance is concerned).
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Roman Zolin
It was about a month since I bought Acura TL 05. And every evening as I come from work and passing by my baby, I am thinking about where to drive or find any other reason to use it or just wash it. It could be the obsession with a new toy, but the car absolutely rocks. I was wondering do you have similar "sensations" and for how long?
This is a common thing with me in my household. I simply tell the wife that I'm taking a "TL Moment" and she knows what that means. Besides, where I live, country roads are within a mile or two from my house and the mountains are about 3-4 miles away. Great roads and great drives await within minutes.

Get out of DC and come out to live where it's really nice. Your TL will love it.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Is it me or are all (most) sofar on this thread Anthracite drivers?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM
TL Photographer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This is a common thing with me in my household. I simply tell the wife that I'm taking a "TL Moment" and she knows what that means. Besides, where I live, country roads are within a mile or two from my house and the mountains are about 3-4 miles away. Great roads and great drives await within minutes.

Get out of DC and come out to live where it's really nice. Your TL will love it.
I love the term "TL Moment"! Thank God, I can enjoy such a car, such a life. Regarding living in DC or Manassass (sp?) - trafic to work could eat a lot of time and could cause some negative emotions. Though I would definitely prefer to live in a small vilage close to mountains. But even now the 100 mile drive is just a joy ride - any time of year, any weather
Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Its almost like an AA meeting. Not that I am making fun of anyone going through AA.

Hello my name is Bryan and I look for any excuse to drive my 05 Anthracite TL.

In fact I am gonna go for a drive during lunch!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 AM
TL Photographer

Originally Posted by Dumont
Is it me or are all (most) sofar on this thread Anthracite drivers?
I would assume it's a popular color - professional, how my friend put it Though I my last car (Nissan Xterra) was bright yellow, and I would pick something brighter if Acura has it. The blue was too dark/dim for my taste.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Dumont
I've had mine since April and also find myself wanting to drive her every chance I get. I'm always taking the long way home (my commute is only 15 mins on local roads so I really go out of the way in a big circle just to enjoy my ride) and with the Navi and its POI's I find myself looking for out of the way car washes and restaurants in places where I'd normally not venture because it would be stupid to say search the net (if they were listed at all) or the yellow pages and then do a mapquest just to get a carwash 3 towns over.
Erm....you take your car to carwashes? Of the mechanical variety?

Say it isn't so!!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Glad to see I'm not alone here with the extra travels in the TL. And yes, I'm an Anthracite owner too. It's just fun to go out in. Looks great. Love the line "TL Moment" too. I'll have to use that on the wife soon.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Erm....you take your car to carwashes? Of the mechanical variety?

Say it isn't so!!

It ain't so !!! Are you crazy ?

Actually for the first few months I washed her myself but lately have been too busy (and/or lazy) to do it myself.

I really thought about the matter seriously since even hand car washes don't do as good and careful a job that I'd do myself (I can see some swirl marks already after a few paid hand washes) but last week there was a new mercedes 600SL AMG ahead of me so I figures WTF, why am I going to fret over my $35,000 leased car when the guy with a $120,000 car is happy. Plus I am sure as shit ain't gonna wash my car myself when winter comes and in anycase the garden hose won't be connected til spring.

From the responses here sofar I still say Athracite drivers seem to like to joyride more than the rest. I guess we can start saying "Anthracites have more fun"

Dumont
Old 09-30-2005, 04:46 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

I have owned the car for 18 months, I live in Stafford, VA and work in Alexandria, VA, so I drive I-95 everyday, and no matter how bad traffic is, the commute is usually the best part of the day (unless I stay late for Happy Hour).
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
How about a T-shirt that says,

"It's a TL Moment.. you wouldn't understand"

To Roman Zolin;

I actually live about 6 miles outside of Manassas, but the term "going to town" for us and our neighbors usually means going to Manassas.. or Warrenton. Really Ok places. We used to live in Arlington (for 24 years, no less), but we escaped that mess and had a new home built out where we are. A really nice stop over until we can get down to South Carolina.

I certainly understand the traffic thing.. got stuck in some of it today coming home (yep, in Manassas). You have the right outlook about your car and your drives. Good for you!

To bigman606;

Hey there Hotlanta, what's happening? Anthracite, eh? Yep, mine's Anthracite/Ebony/6MT/Nav. Nice combo. The wife's is Satin Silver/Quartz/5AT/Nav. The quartz interior is really beautiful with the silver outside. Looks good with the blue exterior, too.

To 6speedv6;

Stafford. This afternoon, I thought I was going to leave work around 3:00 (started at 5:30 in the AM). All day long I was having nasty problems with a piece of code that suddenly couldn't seem to find a shared library. Got that fixed only to find out there was a weird message coming from one of the executables launched from one of my Perl scripts. So 3:00 became 4:00 as I went into the debugger to find the problem. The whole time, I'm thinking, "my TL is just waiting in the covered parking garage for me to take her on a nice drive home".