Sponsored by:

Feb R&T: Japanese sports sedan trifecta. TL Type-S vs. G35 Sport vs. IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 12:07 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
x2

Do you notice how people react to this? If they'd said "The TL does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds" people would be TL. They say it about the IS350 and suddenly cars are getting too powerful. How weak! Man, I can't believe TL owners can be such cry-babies sometimes.

I personally think R&T nailed it. The G35 is simply outclassed by the TL, which is outclassed by the IS350. The IS350 is the fastest of the trio easily, and has RWD. No TRUE sports sedan has FWD, guys. To call the IS350 a "chick" car is also off base. Just because it has world class quality and refinement does not mean it is feminine. It is not as hardcore as the TL, but it is a better car - and it deserved the win it just got.

We are all here because we love the TL, but let's not become a group of fanboys. Give respect where respect is due. No one was bashing the TL, they just gave the nod to the IS350 - a car in a different price bracket, with more power, and a fresher design.

EDIT: Apparently some of the fanboys on this site missed the IS350 crash test scores where it aced every single category, as well.
Well said!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Cary, there probably won't ever be role reversal. Lexus is working right now on a V8 version of the IS.

But that's okay, the TL only competes price-wise with a fully loaded IS250. Lexus costs more, but you get what you pay for. I can't see how even owners of the TL could say it was the best car of the three. It was not the fastest, not the best handling, not the newest, not the poshest... It was second or third in every category and that was what kept it out of first place.

The TL is, in the words of some review I read long ago, a jack of all trades but a master of none.
The IS-F is a M3 fighter and is not in this segment. It will only be made in a coupe version. When the 4G TL comes out- the buzz about the IS 350 will slow down.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GNN60GT500
the same could be said about rear wheel drive-
I don't get it?? Can you explain your statement? The IS does come in RWD (IS350).
Old 12-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

What I really don't understand is that if you go to clublexus or infiniti forums you get enthusiasts that love their cars that don't mention other makes/models. If anything they are clowning other cars in this segment without being objective. Why is it that on this site, TL owners/non owners try to be so PC??
Old 12-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ding069
i thought the G35 was a better car, and i still do. the type-s is essentially nothing but a modded out 06, IMO.
i am sure that my a-spec w/ RSB would out handle a type-s right?
the lexus is a bad beast, but yeah it does look like a teenage girls car...too bad.

i look at it this way.....i wouldn't trade my 06 in on an 07 type-s, but i would trade it in on an 07 G35. the G35 just has alot of features the TL wont have until 09, which i will prob wait for until i buy a new car.

I own both (type S and Aspec 05)

please dont make clueless uninformed assumptions about either car.

My type s handles easliy as well as my A spec even with more power, the A spec is good though.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
ggesq, the G35driver.com forums and clublexus always, more often than here talk bad about other cars in its segment and they are often brought up.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

When they are brought up- are they discussed objectively or bashed?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully, this will shut up all the retarded haters who claim that a FWD sport sedan could never be as good as a RWD one. Bullshit. For anything short of balls to the walls driving and a few select situations, the torque steer in the TL is a non issue.

I find it hilarious that in the G35 news thread over in Automotive News, I was branded an "Acura Fanboi" because I said I'd take a 07 TL-S over a G35 Sport. The results of the comparo speaks volumes about what a well engineered sedan the TL is, even though its the oldest competitor of the trio.

And hats off to the IS350. Smokingly fast. My only problem with this sedan is the aluma look interior trim which is rubbish considering this car can cost well north of 40k when optioned out.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Actually you pay for a overpriced Lexus. You don't get what you pay for when the G35 and TL come with more standard options, more room and better handling.
I agree totally. The TL, in particular, is the best value of the three.

I also agree that the TL is a jack of all trades, and master of none, just like a Palm Treo...that is what sells Hondas as well and as noted above, it works pretty well.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

name any car over $70k that's a FWD.

name any F1 race car that's FWD.

name any ALMS car that's FWD.

name any NSX that's FWD.

name any Z that's FWD

name any BMW that's FWD.

name any Aston Martin that's FWD.

name any Ferrari that's FWD.

name any Porsche that's FWD.

name any Vette that's FWD.

It's generally accepted that RWD, when properly setup, will out accelerate and out corner a FWD with the same engine.

Acceleration - during acceleration the weight of the car will shift toward the rear, which gives the RWD more traction. The front end will lift, which in turn means less traction for the FWD.

Cornering - When cornering RWD can decrease rear traction by increasing throttle, producing controllable oversteer. If FWD try the same thing all it will getting is understeer.

That us not even going in to the fact RWD has better weight distribution than the FWD.

The only thing FWD has over RWD is on low traction surface. Where one wants minimum oversteer.

I do agree TL is a very well-engineered machine and I love my TL. But one don't need "balls to the walls driving" to enjoy the benefits of RWD.

and yes, torque steer might not bother you but it does not mean it's a "non issue" Yes, I can live with it, but coming from an AWD audi it's really annoying.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
easy kenny.......deep breathes
Old 12-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Example of FWD BMW- the mini
Old 12-24-2006, 02:31 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree totally. The TL, in particular, is the best value of the three.

I also agree that the TL is a jack of all trades, and master of none, just like a Palm Treo...that is what sells Hondas as well and as noted above, it works pretty well.
Yep! I agree as well...

Out these 3 no car can touch TL's price when similarly equipped. I also hope the resale value will hold up as well.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:33 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Originally Posted by trancemission
easy kenny.......deep breathes
sorry.. time for my meds....

Originally Posted by ggesq
Example of FWD BMW- the mini
hehe... got me on that one... :P
Old 12-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE

Old 12-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by meowCat
what...#$@!^% The Lexus IS350 does 0-60 in 4.9 sec? Did I hear that right?

that's too fast.... not safe for cars like that. They need to put less powerful engine in there... otherwise the chance of getting accidents will go up, with the inexperienced drivers.

The TL-S is the best all around. It's got enough weight to it, handles tight, and got plenty power. The TL-S should've been the 1st place.
are you retarded?
Old 12-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by extremetls
are you retarded?

I think that I have to ask that as well. Of all the posts made in this thread, I can't get over that post either. I haven't read anything so silly on these boards since a guy stated that the TL was not as good as a Ford Taurus!
Old 12-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

When they are brought up- are they discussed objectively or bashed?

Clublexus has been more bashed. G35driver most of the time has been objectively.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

I am totally unbiased on this matter since I drive a BMW. I have driven all three cars and let me narrow it down:
Lexus IS350-Performance and handling blows the other 2 cars out of the water, same with fit and finish.
TL-Largest cabin but the seats were hard as shit and was pretty bland compared to the Lexus and Infiniti-least favorite.
G35- Cheap interior and ugly exterior make it my least favorite.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Hey Kenny, lets not get carried away now. I completely agree with you that RWD will always been the prime for handling. But when the numbers show a FWD car with the RWD cars in handling, it proves that FWD can be done good and can handle very good as well. I would still take a RWD car for that purpose though myself. I use to have a G35, and raced it. It was a fun car on the track pushing its limits with the tail on the verge of sliding out.

But for the money, the G35 and TL can't be passed up. The IS-350 is just a overpriced lexus. It doesn't even handle as good as the car it replaced.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by V12TT
I am totally unbiased on this matter since I drive a BMW. I have driven all three cars and let me narrow it down:
Lexus IS350-Performance and handling blows the other 2 cars out of the water, same with fit and finish.
TL-Largest cabin but the seats were hard as shit and was pretty bland compared to the Lexus and Infiniti-least favorite.
G35- Cheap interior and ugly exterior make it my least favorite.
I find it hard to believe that a plush IS-350 with lower test numbers in handling handles better than the other two cars, especially the G35.

Fit and finish is not all that in that car. As stated in a review the Acura beat it there.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

According to the mags, the TL outmanuevers the IS 350 in lane passing and in the slalom.

Edit- of course 0-60- is a different story.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I agree with you, Kenny, on some points, and you Bob, on others. I would not buy an IS350 - as someone else said once "Who wants a two-seater car with 4 doors?". I also believe it costs a bit more than it should, but Lexus quality is world class.

It is true that the TL-S is the best value of the three. Unfortunately, the value equation that Honda builds into Acura keeps them "fancy Hondas" rather than true luxury cars. Honda builds and engineers great cars, the thing I was trying to keep in this thread is healthy balance. I understand loving your TL because it fits your needs - but that does not make the IS350 a lesser automobile.

What some of you apparently don't understand is that praise for one car does not equate to bashing of another. Respecting that the IS350 has a true sports sedan setup of RWD and an amazing engine and acceleration times, doesn't mean anyone said the TL was not the competent sports sedan it also is.

Unfortunately for the TL, comparison tests require more than just value to be considered. And that's why it is rare that a TL wins a comparison test up against other sports sedans. That all may change in the future, who knows. But for now, the TL is a car easy to live with, that is competent at everything - but it is not, in the eyes of R&T, the best sports sedan in its class. The points that they made in explaining their choice were perfectly acceptable. Old design and FWD held the TL back.

It's a great car, and I would buy the TL over the IS350 personally. But I'd never let my preference give me tunnel vision so the TL was all I could see. It is not the be-all, end-all of sports sedans.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Hey Kenny, lets not get carried away now. I completely agree with you that RWD will always been the prime for handling. But when the numbers show a FWD car with the RWD cars in handling, it proves that FWD can be done good and can handle very good as well. I would still take a RWD car for that purpose though myself. I use to have a G35, and raced it. It was a fun car on the track pushing its limits with the tail on the verge of sliding out.

But for the money, the G35 and TL can't be passed up. The IS-350 is just a overpriced lexus. It doesn't even handle as good as the car it replaced.
Agreed... I am not saying FWD cannot handle well. TL handles VERY well for a car it's size. I just want to point out why other manufacturers decide to go with RWD platforms instead of FWD especially after the engine reached a certain point (250+ hp)

It's hard to ask the front tires to accelerate and corner at the same time.

03CoupeV6,

Once again, very well said!
Old 12-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by meowCat
what...#$@!^% The Lexus IS350 does 0-60 in 4.9 sec? Did I hear that right?

that's too fast.... not safe for cars like that. They need to put less powerful engine in there... otherwise the chance of getting accidents will go up, with the inexperienced drivers.

The TL-S is the best all around. It's got enough weight to it, handles tight, and got plenty power. The TL-S should've been the 1st place.
Skip the Type S and get a standard TL with my mods. It is faster with less money spent.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts
I've read much of this thread with amusement. I've owned (and raced) a good variety of vehicles over the years and am amazed that anyone would think that FWD would offer better handling than RWD.

The TL is an excellent car, a great combiniation of good looks (always in the eye of the beholder), performance and value. Yes, as a FWD car it is clearly in the top echelon, but it stlll doesn't compare to the best handling RWD sport sedans. And, yes, torque steer really does matter and is the TL's least attrractive trait by a wide margin in my opinion.

But, at the end of the day, the fact that the TL is a great combination and excellent value is exactly why I voted with my dollars and bought one. I love it, and certainly wouldn't trade it for a Lexus or Infinity, but that doesn't mean they're bad cars. They just don't get my money. The Lexus deserves credit for quality, but look at the cost difference. A GS-350 with the features of my TL-S lists for over $50,000. Over 25% more money! There is no way on earth it's worth that much more.

Now, should Acura put two more of the same pistons in a TL-S, along with SH-AWD, I'd trade mine in instantly. It would probably still cost less than a GS-350 and run rings around it in performance. 4.7 L, 380hp & AWD - I soooo want one. Make mine a coupe.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2004 TL
Skip the Type S and get a standard TL with my mods. It is faster with less money spent.
But if you put those things on an S, not to mention the resale might be better, the S would have better times than yours
Old 12-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
4.9/13.5 for the Lexus!! Wow, sounds like the IS350 is gunna be my next car .. I'm sick of defending Acura products and their FWD platforms... it's called buyer's remorse people!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree with you, Kenny, on some points, and you Bob, on others. I would not buy an IS350 - as someone else said once "Who wants a two-seater car with 4 doors?". I also believe it costs a bit more than it should, but Lexus quality is world class.

It is true that the TL-S is the best value of the three. Unfortunately, the value equation that Honda builds into Acura keeps them "fancy Hondas" rather than true luxury cars. Honda builds and engineers great cars, the thing I was trying to keep in this thread is healthy balance. I understand loving your TL because it fits your needs - but that does not make the IS350 a lesser automobile.

What some of you apparently don't understand is that praise for one car does not equate to bashing of another. Respecting that the IS350 has a true sports sedan setup of RWD and an amazing engine and acceleration times, doesn't mean anyone said the TL was not the competent sports sedan it also is.

Unfortunately for the TL, comparison tests require more than just value to be considered. And that's why it is rare that a TL wins a comparison test up against other sports sedans. That all may change in the future, who knows. But for now, the TL is a car easy to live with, that is competent at everything - but it is not, in the eyes of R&T, the best sports sedan in its class. The points that they made in explaining their choice were perfectly acceptable. Old design and FWD held the TL back.

It's a great car, and I would buy the TL over the IS350 personally. But I'd never let my preference give me tunnel vision so the TL was all I could see. It is not the be-all, end-all of sports sedans.
Excellent points. As I said above, you can't go wrong with any of these cars as they all have their strong points.

As far as kennyc's comment on torque steer....after years driving FWD, it's a totally new experience not having to deal with torque steer as on the RL it's pretty much nonexistent. I mean, wow, SH-AWD really works. Honda needs to find a way to get this into the TL without the weight penalty, STAT!

Final point: We can howl about RWD and true sports sedans all we like, but we all know Honda is way too conservative to suddenly switch to RWD platforms. So the best we can hope for is SH-AWD, unless Honda has a surprise up its company sleeve?
Old 12-24-2006, 06:16 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read the MT article, (honda has engineered good FWDs),
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
What I really don't understand is that if you go to clublexus or infiniti forums you get enthusiasts that love their cars that don't mention other makes/models. If anything they are clowning other cars in this segment without being objective. Why is it that on this site, TL owners/non owners try to be so PC??
Because TL owners have a complex about the FWD issue.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

LOL, JAB now your from my own town. I wouldn't expect someone from here to make a comment like that.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
pipin-tl, what part of San Ant do you live?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
you guys complain too much. should be happy with wat you all have. I see the TL as best bang for the buck. Plus everyone keeps comparing this old model to all the new ones of course it wont be up to par in every aspect. The only thing you cant fix is the driving platform but damn if you guys hate FWD so bad why did you buy a TL? There are plenty of RWD cars out there that they dont even mention when cars like IS and G35 are mentioned its always the TL and it still holds up good. I personally dont own a TL and i strongly doubt that i am going to buy one (to many on the road plus i decided to get the RL instead) but my best friend has one and i have drivin it enough times and shit it seems fine to me. I'm sure that most of you guys don't even take ur cars to tracks or drag race so wats the big deal. For everyday driving that TL does a great damn job. In most of the threads i have read its TL owners bashing the TL. You would think that you guys would defend your car instead of talking about it the way you are. Thats why Lexus owners dont respect Acura owners cause they all know deep down instead most of you want Lexus's. At least thats wat it seems like. Well this is my 2 cents i'm sure most wont agree with me but hell its a forum and i had to say something with all this complaining going on.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll agree that the IS350 has the goods but where it missed with ME is that it has no manual tranny offering. Lexus positioned the IS350 against the 3er specifically IMHO and it missed the mark because if it was truly to be an enthusiasts' car- it should at least have offered a manual tranny option.
Totally agree with you about the tranny. I can't believe they don't offer an manual transmission. It could very well be the better car - never test drove one so I don't know - but I love shifting myself so I would never buy the Lexus just because it doesn't come in a 5/6 speed!

I really wanted a 2nd gen TL but the only thing holding me back was because it was only offered in an auto. I'm glad Acura came to their senses!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

praising and expressing opinions that other cars might be superior in some aspects are NOT HATING the TL. This is the "if you're not with us you're against us" mentality.

I bought the TL because of it's bang for the buck, reliability, high resale value, good performance and comfort...

in that order.

And as I said many times before, I like my TL very much. And as 03CoupeV6 said, "It is not the be-all, end-all of sports sedans."
Old 12-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Magnaflow Performance

I find it hard to believe that a plush IS-350 with lower test numbers in handling handles better than the other two cars, especially the G35.

Fit and finish is not all that in that car. As stated in a review the Acura beat it there.
The IS350 handling sucks with the traction control stuck on- we have yet to see a test with the new model on paper where the traction control is off-

Maybe the numbers will be significantly improved without the crazy traction control that really limits the car?

I own a IS350- and the car is 100 times better with the stupid computer turned off-

Its a definite possibility-

I used to own a TL as well- and I dont really see how someone can say the interior is better on one car or the other- they all have nice interiors-

I wish I could speak more intellidgently- but I have never driven a Type S-

so guess what- I dont talk about it- regardless of what the magazine says-

Amazing- I wonder how many people bad mouthing the IS350 have even ever driven one?

I make it a rule of thumb to actually drive a car before I speak about it in a positive or negative light-

otherwise you come off as being a fan boi-
Old 12-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nore03
you guys complain too much. should be happy with wat you all have. I see the TL as best bang for the buck. Plus everyone keeps comparing this old model to all the new ones of course it wont be up to par in every aspect. The only thing you cant fix is the driving platform but damn if you guys hate FWD so bad why did you buy a TL? There are plenty of RWD cars out there that they dont even mention when cars like IS and G35 are mentioned its always the TL and it still holds up good. I personally dont own a TL and i strongly doubt that i am going to buy one (to many on the road plus i decided to get the RL instead) but my best friend has one and i have drivin it enough times and shit it seems fine to me. I'm sure that most of you guys don't even take ur cars to tracks or drag race so wats the big deal. For everyday driving that TL does a great damn job. In most of the threads i have read its TL owners bashing the TL. You would think that you guys would defend your car instead of talking about it the way you are. Thats why Lexus owners dont respect Acura owners cause they all know deep down instead most of you want Lexus's. At least thats wat it seems like. Well this is my 2 cents i'm sure most wont agree with me but hell its a forum and i had to say something with all this complaining going on.
I completely agree with you.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JAB00
pipin-tl, what part of San Ant do you live?
281/1604 area.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by nore03
my friend, you will see this with every comparison thread, this is one of the many reasons why I hate them so much

Quick Reply: Feb R&T: Japanese sports sedan trifecta. TL Type-S vs. G35 Sport vs. IS 350