Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feb R&T: Japanese sports sedan trifecta. TL Type-S vs. G35 Sport vs. IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by meowCat
Real wheel drives, bad for winter and rainy conditons. It's dangerous for cars with a lot of power on the rear wheels. This applies to Lexus, Infiniti, any cars with RWD. People drive in the rain.. and snow, you know that, right? I saw many times when the BMW 3 seris got stuck in the turning lane because it couldn't accelerate. The real wheels kept spinning but ain't going anywhere.
FYI, most of the time its the driver not the car that has problems in the rain/snow. My G35 did fine in the rain, and when we did have some snow and ice here, it did fine as well. VDC is a wonderful thing in bad climates.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. I had a 2005 Acura TL that I sold to get the IS350. I loved the TL but I got bored with it. That’s nothing new because I get bored with cars pretty quick. I buy a new car about every 2 years. The thing that sold me on the 350 is that it’s very very quick. There are people that run 13.3’s stock with them. The back seat is small but I don’t care because no one is ever back there. The stock ride was very soft coming from the TL. I also had the Comptech RSB in the TL which tightened up the ride. When I went to the 350 I noticed it had a lot of body role compared to the TL. I put a set of Eibach performance springs in the 350 which totally took care of the problem. Plus it dropped the car about a inch and a half which made it look better. By the time I get bored with this car hopefully the new TL will be out and you will see me back on this site sporting my new ride. They just better pump up the HP and give me RWD or AWD or I will never come back to Acura. Here are a couple pics of my IS350.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

pimpin-tl, if you were going to do racing like that why didn't you go with the 2 door coupe... it's got tighter suspension.. unless, you completely modded that thing.

And to the other guy, nice Lexus you got there. Lookin good.... How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Instructor

pimpin-tl, if you were going to do racing like that why didn't you go with the 2 door coupe... it's got tighter suspension.. unless, you completely modded that thing.

And to the other guy, nice Lexus you got there. Lookin good.... How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking.

Thank you sir. I paid approx 39,000 for it. Thats before tax, title, and reg which added a few grand more.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 PM
hates the winter

I only drive Acura's.

BUT I do have to say that Acura needs to switch to AWD or RWD for ALL their cars. It's brought up in every comparison.

I think the 05-06 RSX-S should of been 300hp AWD to compete with the WRX adn EVO guys staying N/A.

Acura has great quality, looks, performance. They should just kill the competition once and for all. I say the next TL gets 400hp AWD with a 35k price tag. lol
Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xelvic
Thank you sir. I paid approx 39,000 for it. Thats before tax, title, and reg which added a few grand more.
No problem... That's a sweet ride.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Safety Car

Sedan with the Sport Suspension handles better than the coupe due to it being lighter, slightly skinnier, and lighter wheels.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Go TL-S! This front-driver is still one of the best lux sport sedans out there.

Nice video review!
DITO that!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
i was gonna test drive the TL-S but when I saw the new instrument pod and the Red lighting scheme i wanted to vomit and said to hell with that... but I've been an Infiniti guy since '02. I personally HATE the look of the 2nd gen G35 compared to its predecessor, which is the car I originally wanted to buy. It's only after I bought my car that I became an Acura guy... My lease ends in '09 and I hope Acura doesnt f*ck up the TL's redesign like Infiniti did the G35.
when your lease end's just buy yourself a Nissan Sentra , that ought to pacify you!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
meow, I have raced on the track and an Instructor at MSR. I would take a IS350 auto with paddle shifters over my Manual 6mt G35 anyday. With a shift down of the paddle you can select whatever gear you wish to be in. Without the jerkyness of the car when downshifting or concentrating on heal-toe method for a smooth downshift, you just flick the paddles and your in the gear instatly you want.

No, actually, why do you think most drag racers with high powered cars usually use autos for more consistant times?

6AT has tighter gear ratios than a 5AT. So normally it will have a better acceleration curve.

Meow, I suggest stop before you really make yourself look any worse.
PimpinTL. You hit it right on the nose. Although having a MT is alot more fun in terms of driving, these days the AT are coming up fast. Look at Audi and their new Tiptronic - it's rated faster than the MT.

And in terms of drag race you are dead on. I had to even bold that statement because it's so true. It's common knowledge that these days many people are opting for AT for more consistant drag times. Don't believe me? A friend of mine bought an 05 G35 coupe MT. He boosted it. I went with him to the track several times back when I drive a STI. His times would vary alot. An older gentleman at the track showed up with an automatic current gen Audi S4. His times were pretty damn consistent. My friend went over and talked to him and he walked away learning that with Auto, there's less room for error for 1/4 mile times. Also, according to alot of new testimony from the import tuning scene, AT's are supposedly better at holding boost.

A month later, my friend trades in his 05 g35 MT for an 06 g35 AT. Carries over all his mods, and what do you know? His 1/4 times are prety consistently in the low 13's. Not just drag racing, but also on an enclosed track. Again, he and I went to an enclosed track here in so cal, and his times improved yet again. He says it's not as involving in some sense, but at the same time, neither he or I are gonna be professional racers. What does he do now? practice on taking the perfect line on the tract. What did i do In my STi? Try to perfect the heel-toe, and often straying from the perfect line when entering/exiting a turn.

I love MT, but seriously AT with tiptronic is starting to catch up/pass up MT in terms of times. MT is great, but unless you Heel toe, you will never get the same smooth down shifts.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
x2

Do you notice how people react to this? If they'd said "The TL does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds" people would be TL. They say it about the IS350 and suddenly cars are getting too powerful. How weak! Man, I can't believe TL owners can be such cry-babies sometimes.

I personally think R&T nailed it. The G35 is simply outclassed by the TL, which is outclassed by the IS350. The IS350 is the fastest of the trio easily, and has RWD. No TRUE sports sedan has FWD, guys. To call the IS350 a "chick" car is also off base. Just because it has world class quality and refinement does not mean it is feminine. It is not as hardcore as the TL, but it is a better car - and it deserved the win it just got.

We are all here because we love the TL, but let's not become a group of fanboys. Give respect where respect is due. No one was bashing the TL, they just gave the nod to the IS350 - a car in a different price bracket, with more power, and a fresher design.

EDIT: Apparently some of the fanboys on this site missed the IS350 crash test scores where it aced every single category, as well.
Even though I have a TL, I have to say that the above quote is the most realistic unbiased words on this entire thread... Very well said!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Advanced

And to the haters of paddles with SMG or Tiptronic trannies... think of Formula 1 racing and todays Porsches and BMW M3's.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Pro

Real wheel drives, bad for winter and rainy conditons. It's dangerous for cars with a lot of power on the rear wheels. This applies to Lexus, Infiniti, any cars with RWD. People drive in the rain.. and snow, you know that, right? I saw many times when the BMW 3 seris got stuck in the turning lane because it couldn't accelerate. The real wheels kept spinning but ain't going anywhere.
seriously, how dense can you be? its not the car, its the driver. a fwd car with summer tires will handle just as badly as a rwd car with summer tires in the snow. you have made so many incorrect statements that its not even funny. no one has even backed you in anything you have written. get a clue!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

So I should get a real wheel drive to drive in the snow? Are you out of your mind.....

This applies to everyone on this forum and www (world-wide-web), that the real wheel drive is worse on the snow than the front wheel drive, no matter what tires you use. This is the physics. Don't try to start sh#t now....

Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

RWD is not worse. It is the setup of the car that is worse. FWD can be really bad in snow and so can RWD. If you have good snow tires on a RWD car with the proper setup it will work better in the snow than a FWD car period.

Keep digging your grave bigger and bigger.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Yea, you can use the real wheels to help *steer* when the car is sliding on snow, but I'm talking when you take off from stand still, not to mention, taking off from uphill on the ice, ho ho.. Good luck with your RWD Infiniti.

Don't push it now... or you could be the one get booted.....
Old 12-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned

Sedan with the Sport Suspension handles better than the coupe due to it being lighter, slightly skinnier, and lighter wheels.
it's not much lighter, almost no difference. By stock, the factory coupe is better for handling. Looks like you chose the wrong car to begin with.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So I should get a real wheel drive to drive in the snow? Are you out of your mind.....

This applies to everyone on this forum and www (world-wide-web), that the real wheel drive is worse on the snow than the front wheel drive, no matter what tires you use. This is the physics. Don't try to start sh#t now....

hahaha

you're justifying your WRONG assumptions by basing it on physics...that's the funniest thing i've seen in a long time!

Physics is this:

On a FWD car, the engine is set closer over the drive wheels (that's why they're usualyl front heavy), so from a stop, they have traction longer than a RWD car.

That's it. Once the car is giong, a FWD driver can give it too much gas and lose traction in the front wheels during a turn. A RWD driver can give too much gas and lose traction in the rear wheels during a turn. So what's the point?

The point is that during GOOD conditions, a RWD and FWD car react differently due to different physics. In SNOWY conditions, a RWD and FWD car react differently due to different physics.

I've driven my CL-S (fwd) with summer tires in snow. It sucked. I've driven my M45 sport (rwd) with summer tires in snow. it sucked also. but it was no more dangerous than my CL-S...just different.

It's all about the driver. A careless FWD driver who thinks they're "safer" because they are driving a FWD car is more dangerous than a careful driver of a RWD car. And seeing that you are so convinced that RWD is "dangerous", then that's more a testament about your driving skills (or lack thereof) than it is to whether it is FWD or RWD.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yea, you can use the real wheels to help *steer* when the car is sliding on snow, but I'm talking when you take off from stand still, not to mention, taking off from uphill on the ice, ho ho.. Good luck with your RWD Infiniti.

yeah, what's a "real" wheel drive car?

You don't understand physics AND you can't spell? there's a winning combination!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Up hill all the weight is transfered to the rear wheels. The front has less weight, a fwd car will have more trouble than a rwd car in that situation.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

it's not much lighter, almost no difference. By stock, the factory coupe is better for handling. Looks like you chose the wrong car to begin with.
Wrong. The Sedan is almost 200lb lighter. The Coupe DOES NOT handle better than the Sedan with Sport pacakge. Wow, where are you coming up with this info from? I have been part of the G35 community for 3 years. I think I know more about G35s than you do.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

G35 SEDAN 6MT WEIGHT: Curb Weight: 3398 lbs.

G35 COUPE 6MT WEIGHT: Curb Weight: 3435 lbs.

Okay, so I was off a bit. At least I admit it when I am wrong.

Both have the same power, sedan is slightly faster. It's common knowledge.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Up hill all the weight is transfered to the rear wheels. The front has less weight, a fwd car will have more trouble than a rwd car in that situation.
Not to mention, that when already in motion, a properly balanced RWD car will have an easier time turning than a front-heavy FWD. Snow exaggerates at-the-limit handling. That means, if you take a curve at 15mph on the snow, you have a higher chance of plowing into the curb with the FWD than the RWD. And this is ignoring the fact that a FWD needs to split traction between steering and acceleration, so you'll have less traction to steer with.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
G35 SEDAN 6MT WEIGHT: Curb Weight: 3398 lbs.

G35 COUPE 6MT WEIGHT: Curb Weight: 3435 lbs.

Okay, so I was off a bit. At least I admit it when I am wrong.

Both have the same power, sedan is slightly faster. It's common knowledge.
You can probably shave off some more weight on the sedan, because the forged 19" wheels on the coupe weigh a couple pounds less than the cast 18" rims. (I'm not sure if the sedan's 18" split-star wheels are forged like the coupes 19" ones, as the coupe's 18" wheels are cast) I own a coupe not a sedan, so I'm not 100% sure on the sedan details. But I know a lot of the sedan guys liked putting on the coupe wheels.

One of these days, I'm going to do a test-fit of the stock rims from my Coupe on our TL, because they are collecting dust in the garage.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Safety Car

My 18" ones on my G35 with tires weighed only 48 lb each. They weren't that heavy for a wheel/tire combo. The 19" wheel for the coupe actually weighed around 55lb a wheel with tire.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=45

Good specs of different year G35's and speeds. 2005+ with the REV ups were never added. As you can see, the sedan had faster times overall.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Motion to ban the troll. He is not truly as stupid as he is pretending to be, he just has no life so he is on here to cause trouble. It is degrading to Acurazine. People with the means to own the TL should also have the capacity to look beyond it, IMO. It's a great car that tries to be everything to everyone, and instead ends up being best at nothing. It's a formula that works very well, and has led to tremendous sucecss. I applaud Honda for that, and the TL is my preference in its class - but I am not so narrowminded to believe there aren't better performing cars out there.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down Thread is dead

Moderator can you close this thread. Seems it has veered into the fwd vs rwd suckhole that is so rampant on this site.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Cary
Moderator can you close this thread. Seems it has veered into the fwd vs rwd suckhole that is so rampant on this site.
I would love to.

We are very close to not allowing these comparison threads anymore

just a long winded boring ass debate