Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fantastic results from Mobil-1 syn ATF

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Fantastic results from Mobil-1 syn ATF

So the other day I changed my engine oil, while I was as it I picked up 3 quarts of the mobil-1 fully synthetic ATF fluid for about $9.97 a quart....

NOTE: I have a AUTOmatic trans, not manual.

The trans fluid was changed about 4-5k ago and it just felt like it was having some rough shifting, every once in a while I would feel the "double bump" going from P to D, the horrible jerk the TL is known for from shifting from 3rd to 2nd seemed like it was back.

So I drained the Honda fluid and put in the Mobil 1 (3x1) and I can notice a huge difference!

Shifting is MUCH quicker, precise, and almost un-noticeable.. the car went from shifting like most TL's do to almost not being able to tell when its shifting... basically like butter.

I can tell this fluid has changed the shifting, making it feel a lot quicker, direct, precise and dramatically has reduced the head whipping that most TL's do when shifting under full throttle.

Down shifting from 3rd to 2nd is now a DREAM.

All this was achieved from a simple drain and refill, I can only imagine the amazing results obtained from doing a full 3x3.

I plan on just changing this fluid each oil change so I dont see the need to break my back half a day doing a 3x3....

thought I would fill you guys in on a great fluid... enjoy.

Last edited by OntheJob; 06-02-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Great to hear.
Really this shows how any ATF fluid is better than Z1.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Great to hear.
Really this shows how any ATF fluid is better than Z1.
I really dont think that z-1 is really that bad, I mean look at it from Hondas perspective that sells cars based on "reliabiltiy" would you put a crappy fluid in your trans and not care?

I personally believe the tranny failures come down to user abuse and error... there is no way Honda would build great cars and skimp on a fluid.

Regarding what you said however, I also believe there is much better out there, and I believe I have stumbled across it... you should def go get some of this mobil 1 for 3o bucks.. the trans becomes a dream.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Yeah understandable but I don't think 99% of 2G owners abused there cars.

Weren't you thinking about use Redline Racing?

I'm using it and the difference is night and day.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Yeah understandable but I don't think 99% of 2G owners abused there cars.

Weren't you thinking about use Redline Racing?

I'm using it and the difference is night and day.
Yeah I have been back and fourth about redline.... I actually at one point considered trying the Type F, but redline themselves told me not to use that in our trans so I agreed, listened, and didnt assume I knew more then them "like some on here" and did not go that route.... I considered the D4...but guess I just never really got around to it... looks like mobil-1 is pretty good so I guess problem solved.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OntheJob
I really dont think that z-1 is really that bad, I mean look at it from Hondas perspective that sells cars based on "reliabiltiy" would you put a crappy fluid in your trans and not care?

I personally believe the tranny failures come down to user abuse and error... there is no way Honda would build great cars and skimp on a fluid.

Regarding what you said however, I also believe there is much better out there, and I believe I have stumbled across it... you should def go get some of this mobil 1 for 3o bucks.. the trans becomes a dream.
I'm no conspiracy theorist but dealerships make a TON of their money on Service. If they made completely flawless cars they would only make money on sales. I'm sure it's a fine line they have to tread.

I also personally believe if Z-1 wasn't a bad fluid, why did they stop using it and start using another?

Additionally, ATF aside, the GM MT fluid literally CURES their issue, and from what I gather it's not even really debateable. What's the deal with the Honda fluid there then?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Does it help solve the shift from 2-3? I noticed this shift is the worse on my TL-S, very jerky and long delay.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:45 PM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Reliable for a 50 year old insurance salesman is one thing, reliable when the gas pedal is pushed more than half way to the floor more than once a year is another. Autocrossing your car with no cool down time between runs is abusive. Flooring the car from stoplights 25% of the time isn't, or at least not to the point of transmission failures at 30k miles. Honda either failed miserably when it comes to their transmission fluids or their transmissions. Which one it is is up for debate. When a simple fluid change instantly cures major transmission malfunctions I'm inclined to believe it's the fluid that's the problem. Glad to hear you've found as much joy in your Mobil 1 ATF as I've found with my GM Synchromesh FM MTF.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a good thing that you can see a difference. I had similar experience with synthetic oil
Old 06-03-2011, 02:52 AM
'06 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting... give us a full review of it in a month, been wanting to try this out
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Originally Posted by vp55
Does it help solve the shift from 2-3? I noticed this shift is the worse on my TL-S, very jerky and long delay.

Yes down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and upshifting from 2nd to 3rd is now a dream, smooth and effortless...I would say close to a 90% reduction in the jerking motion with the transition of the gears both up and down.

Originally Posted by xxkevo
Interesting... give us a full review of it in a month, been wanting to try this out
Well you have the full review today, Ill update a month from now, but something tells me this fluid is not going to break down as fast as the z-1. I am also just going to incorporate a trans flush with fresh mobil-1 fluid each time I do an oil change, hey for another 30 bucks, there is no reason we all shouldn't.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Glad to hear it's treating you well so far!

I'm going to try the same thing =)

Redline is impossible for me to find =(
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
This will be my first 'mod' when I pick up my 04 next week. lol
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Yes down shifting from 3rd to 2nd and upshifting from 2nd to 3rd is now a dream, smooth and effortless...I would say close to a 90% reduction in the jerking motion with the transition of the gears both up and down.
Thanks for the info. Is this the one you bought?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im glad to hear this, i just bought an 04 a few weeks ago. the fluid looks clean but i dont know how old it is so I think im going to change it soon.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by paugon
im glad to hear this, i just bought an 04 a few weeks ago. the fluid looks clean but i dont know how old it is so I think im going to change it soon.
When in doubt, change it out.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I'd like to know also. Unless I'm missing something on their application site, I see no Mobil 1 ATF that is a recommended replacement for Honda/Acura. Of course that doesn't mean anything on this site, but I am curious.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 PM
UA7 6MT

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Glad to hear it's treating you well so far!

I'm going to try the same thing =)

Redline is impossible for me to find =(
I was suprised to find Redline and Amsoil products at PartSource the other day.
Check out your local store for stock.

Anything is better than the junk Honda puts in there.
3x3 ATF Flush with Amsoil ATF was one of the first things I did for my AT.
You could feel the shifts being cleaner and the engine just operates more smoothly.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
I'd like to know also. Unless I'm missing something on their application site, I see no Mobil 1 ATF that is a recommended replacement for Honda/Acura. Of course that doesn't mean anything on this site, but I am curious.

This is it:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._T|GRP2071____
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
At least with the Type F fluid Innacurate and a few other members spent time on the phone with redline and their engineers and found out that the Type F fluid was the same as D4 without the Friction Modifers.

No one really knows about that mobil 1 fluid you put in, did you even check the viscosity and such to see if they were similar to Z-1 or DW-1?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

I know, I broke my rule in responding to an ATF thread, but needed to suplly additional information.

Originally Posted by csmeance
At least with the Type F fluid Innacurate and a few other members spent time on the phone with redline and their engineers and found out that the Type F fluid was the same as D4 without the Friction Modifers.

No one really knows about that mobil 1 fluid you put in, did you even check the viscosity and such to see if they were similar to Z-1 or DW-1?
If you read some threads a while back, I also spent time with the tech reps at both Redline and Amsoil and both said NOT to use the Type F as replacement for the Z-1.

That's a Dexron/Mercon replacement not intended as replacement for the Z-1. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, I believe the owner's manual states that Dexron is to be used only in an emergency situation and that once to the destination purge the Dexron from the system.

From the Mobil 1 site, NO application for the Honda/Acura.

Mobil ATF D/M

"Mobil ATF D/M is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles. Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified. Mobil ATF D/M is also recommended by ExxonMobil for use in 1988 and newer Fords, except vehicles that require MERCON V or Type F ATF".

Got to realize that a different trans fluid with cause the shifts to feel different, but does this indicate that the fluid is a better fluid, not in my book. Every manufacturer creates their fluid for a specific application and as far as the aftermarket, I wouldn't use any product not recommended, but as Red Line D4 is a direct replacement, that would present no problems.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:54 AM

Inaccurate had this fluid before getting Redline and that is the fluid according to a PM a while back.

It is a grp IV fluid. Nearly the same as Royal Purple, D4, Amsoil according to IHC.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Inaccurate had this fluid before getting Redline and that is the fluid according to a PM a while back.

It is a grp IV fluid. Nearly the same as Royal Purple, D4, Amsoil according to IHC.
It's not the same fluid period. And to use the term nearly the same fluid certainly seems to be a stretch. Might even say they all are nearly the same because they are red regardless of the ingredients. This is why I don't indulge in these rediculous debates.

The bottom line on this Forum seems to be to use whatever suits your fancy regardless of the applications designated by the ATF manufacturers, as well as the car manufacturer.

Last edited by Turbonut; 06-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Are you smoking something? Am I debating something? :facepalm
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you smoking something? Am I debating something? :facepalm

No I don’t smoke and sorry if I misinterpreted the above reply. At first glance it seemed to me that you were acknowledging that it’s a group IV fluid and then posting backup info that it is nearly the same as the fluid in question. Guess I had better read more carefully in the future rather than shooting from both barrels.
Once again my apologies.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

yes!