Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

I just bought an 07 Type-S, and the dealer offered the bumper to bumper" for $1200, this covers anything and everything up to 7 years or 100K miles.

Just for reference the car has 30K miles now, and this would be another 4 years.

Is this a good deal? does anyone have any numbers they could share?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the " bumper to bumper" included in price tag (I really hard balled the dealer, so he threw it in, or else I would 've walked)
Old 02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got an '08 type S with 17k miles a month ago and was offered that same warranty and price. After short negotiations, I was able to get the finance guy to eat the cost (he was a friend of a friend). Mine was also a CPO; if that matters... I wasn't going to get it. See if you can work it down. Some dealers have a "fund" that helps boost their warranty sales numbers which allows them to buy the warranty for you. This is how I was able to get it for free. Not sure if that helps any, but if you really want the warranty for peace of mind, try poking and prodding about such a fund.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ yeah man, when it comes to buying a car, you gotta make the dealer come to you, instead of the other way around.(dealers will do anything to make a sale, they just play hard to get)
Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If it's an Acura Car Care Extended warranty, ask to read the coverage as you'll find it's NOT a bumper to bumper warranty as many items aren't covered.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Turbonut
If it's an Acura Car Care Extended warranty, ask to read the coverage as you'll find it's NOT a bumper to bumper warranty as many items aren't covered.
Such as?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
you didnt see any paper copy of whats covered- just word of saleman!!!

it covers powertrain- engine and trans but probably not things like cv
joints/axle bearings
Ask to see a printed copy of the complete coverage

CPO is a good thing as long as electronics are covered too
With the complexity of these cars its worth negotiating into the deal

Salesmen just move numbers around on trade in value or car cost and prep fees to give you something ~free~ so you feel a small victory
NOTHING there is FREE
EGO is what drives sales
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by protoboard
Such as?
What is NOT covered:
Wiper blades, battery, cables, steering wheel, belts, radiator hoses, heater hoses and vacuum hoses, spark plugs, timing belt replacement when performed as routine maintenance, exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converter, mufflers, hangers, heat shields, gaskets (except for the manifold block gasket), and related fastening hardware, fuel system, fuel tank straps, fuel hoses, brake system wear items such as drums/rotors, shoes/pads, clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, external shift linkages, pilot bearing/bushing, glass, mirror glass, body parts, body structure (except for hood hinges, trunk hinges, door hinges and sliding door rollers), hood fenders, doors, rear hatch, trunk lid, grille, panels, bright metal, sheet metal, paint (except for covered hinges painted to match the original VEHICLR color only), bumpers moldings, lenses, bezels, bulbs (except for instrument panel illumination bulbs), H.I.D. headlamps, sealed beams, fuses, body seals weather strips, (except for window sash and window run channels), outside ornamentation, emblems, tires, valve stems, wheel covers/ornaments, wheel locks, fastening/security hardware for non-covered components, stripped or cross threaded fasteners, body seals, squeaks, rattles, buttons, carpet, dash pad, console, window handles, knobs, boots, pedals, pads, rearview mirror (except for electronic failure of the auto-dimming mirror), interior trim, upholstery, floor mats, electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than American Honda authorized electronic/audio accessories/navigational, DVD entertainment and security systems. Safety restraint system fastening hardware, seat belts and air bag(s) deployed due to collision.

Other than above, its bumper to bumper!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine was. Guess it pays to know the right people at the right times. And the post above is exactly why it should be free. Like I said... It's not necessary, but it's nice to get something for nothing every once in a while.

Last edited by Dymondawg; 02-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
you didnt see any paper copy of whats covered- just word of saleman!!!

it covers powertrain- engine and trans but probably not things like cv
joints/axle bearings
Ask to see a printed copy of the complete coverage

CPO is a good thing as long as electronics are covered too
With the complexity of these cars its worth negotiating into the deal

Salesmen just move numbers around on trade in value or car cost and prep fees to give you something ~free~ so you feel a small victory
NOTHING there is FREE
EGO is what drives sales
CPO WRAP Warranty covers everything the B2B warranty covers. Including the items you mentioned.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Protoboard,

More details are needed:

Did you buy the car from a Acura dealer ?

If yes, is it Acura Certified Pre Owned ?

What is the name of the extended warranty offered to you ?

Who is the underwriter of the warranty ?

More info is needed to give you a proper answer......

By the way, you cannot buy the ACURA "wrap" after you close the deal. Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage (called "wrap" by Acura dealers) can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dannyboy10
Protoboard,

More details are needed:

Did you buy the car from a Acura dealer ?

If yes, is it Acura Certified Pre Owned ?

What is the name of the extended warranty offered to you ?

Who is the underwriter of the warranty ?

More info is needed to give you a proper answer......

By the way, you cannot buy the ACURA "wrap" after you close the deal. Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage (called "wrap" by Acura dealers) can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.
Yes, I bought the car from an Acura dealer, and the is Certified Pre-Owned.

In the upper right of the paperwork it says "Acura Care"
Acura Care for Acura Vehicles is administered by American Honda Finance Corporation.

Also at the time I was told (and I read this same thing on the paperwork) that it is fully cancellable and transferable. I can cancel anytime in the first 60 days for a full refund - any work that was done already against it. After 60 days it's cancelable for a pro-rated amount based on date/mileage.

So as you can figure out I paid the 1200 and got it since I knew I had 60 days to think about it, and as was stated above you can't get it after the fact?

**Note: One other interesting thing maybe one of you can help with, in the top Box of the firt sheet of the warranty, there is a column/section that says "VSC Plan Type", there are three check box's as options, NEW, PRE-OWNED, and Certified (Acura Vehicles Only). My plan has Pre-Owned checked, should it be the "certified" box?

Last edited by protoboard; 02-27-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

To make this even easier, here is a link to a sample contract, it's exactly the same as the one I have.

http://www.curryacuracare.com/resour...leContract.pdf
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my warranty when I bought my car new. They supposedly got me a better interest rate because I went for the warranty and also said that I couldn't get it after my purchase. I was also told I could cancel within 60 (maybe 30) days and did so. Read the fine print and it tells you how long you have. I got a full refund check a couple weeks after canceling.

I also recall something about how you can buy into another extended warranty towards the end of the existing one. It's a little more expensive however. And this is something Acura would offer you as your existing one is about to expire. I guess it's to entice customers...
Old 02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
10th Gear

I purchased an 07 TL-S today and also got the extended warranty. I paid around $1,200 also. I just somehow feel like I got taking advantage of for some reason..lol

My car is a CPO vehicle and I really just wonder if I do need the extended warranty? I also was told that the Navi wasn't covered... It's the one thing I need covered and isn't. Should I go back and cancel it?? What do you think?
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraHeel
I purchased an 07 TL-S today and also got the extended warranty. I paid around $1,200 also. I just somehow feel like I got taking advantage of for some reason..lol

My car is a CPO vehicle and I really just wonder if I do need the extended warranty? I also was told that the Navi wasn't covered... It's the one thing I need covered and isn't. Should I go back and cancel it?? What do you think?
Hopefullly dannyboy10 will reply again. I would PM him but being new here I am not allowed to yet.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Racer

Protoboard,

The "wrap" can only be purchased at the time of vehicle purchase.
What one is buying is extention of the 5yr/62k CPO limited warranty. You are buying 2 additional years or 38,000 miles, which ever comes up first. The 7yr/100k powertrain warranty is already offered from the CPO warranty.

The "regular" Acura Care warranty can be purchased after the fact at anytime before 4 years or 50,000 miles of in service date, which ever come up first. Purchase needs to be timed because coverage starts at time of purchase.

I think your contract's VSC Plan Type box should be checked as certified and not pre-owned. The language in the sample contract says coverage for a pre-owned plans starts at purchase date (not after expiration of new car warranty).

Last edited by dannyboy10; 02-28-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Racer

AcuraHeel,

The Navi is covered for 5yr/62k under your CPO warranty unless Acura recently changed it. Check the language in your CPO warranty.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Racer

From Acura website:

The optional Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage provides the highest level of customer protection available. Owners should inquire about additional coverage at the time of purchase or lease of the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.
Eligible Vehicles

All Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
Highlights Include:
  • Coverage up to 7-year/100,000 miles (from the original Acura New Vehicle Limited Warranty in-service date).
  • Extends the same coverage provided in the Acura 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.
  • Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage is transferable.
  • Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.
  • Acura Customer Care Benefits after 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty period (see Program Benefits
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
10th Gear

Thanks...dannyboy10... I think I'm going to keep it. It just gives me some piece of mind.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced

hey protoboard, how much did you buy your car for? im curious cuz i just bought the exact same thing.